Molecular & Cellular Basis of Medicine - at PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be attending PCOM this August and received letter from PCOM regarding the MCBM course which we will take as an MS1. The letter suggested we take a Biochemistry/Molecular Biology course at the school of our choice prior to starting PCOM if we have not taken the course on an undergraduate level. I HAVE NOT taken Biochemistry but have had a Molecular Biology course, Organic/Inorganic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry plus 4 years of Bio courses. Any suggestions of what readings or course prep I could do to play "catch up" during the next months? Short of taking an expensive course at a college over the summer -that is really not an option for me. All suggestions regarding what prep an incoming student ought to do before class starts is welcome. Some have suggested the best prep is to enjoy the summer but NOW I'm starting to worry about that advise. I'd rather be "ahead" than "behind" if possible. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't PCOM offer a 3 week summer biochem course? Although, who wants to spend 8 hours a day for 3 weeks doing biochem?? I have a friend who'll be in your class and that's what she's doing...crazy if you ask me. I wouldn't worry about it Roger, you'll be fine.

Robb1818
yes,PCOM does offer the course which is 5 days a week (all day) for 3 weeks of intensive Biochem for $700! It's not really an option for me due to other obligations at that time. And, yes you're right, it doesn't sound like a great way to spend 3 weeks in the summer - but if that's what it takes I'm sure there will be plenty of students who will be taking that course. Not that it makes me feel anymore comfortable about it. If you'd like to answer, what year are you in and did you have the course before you started med school? How did you do if you took the course as a MS1 in PCOM, (or any med school)? If this senario applies to you that is!
------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 03-27-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same letter in the mail a few days ago. I also am in the same boat - no biochem but I was a bio major - cellular/molecular, genetics etc; however, this was a number of years ago.

I think I am gonna punt on any advance preparation. So while it may be a little tougher on me this fall, I'll bet that there are a number of other people will be in the same boat.

I ran into a buddy of mine the other day who is an MSI at a top 25 allopathic med school. He took the bare necessities for med school (no biochem) and he is doing fine. He is struggling a bit in biochem, but will get through fine.

Roger, RELAX you are not in school yet and you are starting to worry about getting behinf schedule. Please, you are going to have plenty od opportunities to worry about this. So for now enjoy your summer and rejoice the you made it into medschool.

------------------
siul

Siul,
thanks for the advise. One thing is for sure - I do plan to ENJOY as much of my summer as possible and do some celebrating about getting into med school!

------------------

rog

Roger, that's the attitude. We are going to have lots of time to worry about classes for the next four years. See you at the brunch.