Money and Investment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for those who messaged me. In response to the number one question "how did I know PFE was going to get hammered?" Well again technical analysis. To those who wanted my next stock pics I started a blog - see address below. I will post in real time what stocks I am following when I buy/sell etc. Plus I will try to throw in some educational stuff. If you want to save yourself some future money please check this out. The financial industry preys on doctors. Anyone telling you to buy a mutual fund other than an index fund - IS RIPPING Y0U OFF! Ask the former finacial advisers who have posted here what there cut was? It is a sales buisness watch out - educate yourself and make some moola!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you still updating. I've been working on learning TA...but its taking some time...gets pretty complicated. I'd be interested in your blog if you're still doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hockeyguy said:
! You should also be versed in technical analysis. !
Show me the data. Can you show a long-term (20+ years) track record of ANYONE beating the market by picking stocks using technical analysis? I mean, out of the thousands of people who subscribe to your theory, even pure statistical chance would dictate that SOMEBODY would come out ahead. But no, there's no one. Voodoo TA chartism is the equivalent of most alternative medicine...sometimes the patient gets better (the stock goes up) but it has nothing to do with the treatment.

"The only thing we know for certain about technical analysis is that it's possible to make a living publishing a newsletter on the subject."
Martin S. Fridson, Investment Illusions

"Technical analysts are the witch doctors of our business. By deciphering stock price movement patterns and volume changes, these Merlins believe they can forecast the future."
William Gross, Everything You've Heard About Investing is Wrong!

The one principal that applies to nearly all these so-called "technical approaches" is that one should buy because a stock or the market has gone up and one should sell because it has declined. This is the exact opposite of sound business sense everywhere else, and it is most unlikely that it can lead to lasting success in Wall Street. In our own stock-market experience and observation, extending over 50 years, we have not known a single person who has consistently or lastingly made money by thus "following the market." We do not hesitate to declare that this approach is as fallacious as it is popular.
Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

"Technical anlysis is doomed to fail by the statistical fact that stock prices are nearly random; the market's patterns from the past provide no clue about its future. Not suprisingly, studies conducted by academicians at universities like MIT, Chicago, and Stanford dating as far back as the 1960s have found that the technical theories do not beat the market, especially after deducting transaction fees. It is amazing that technical analysis still exists on Wall Street. One cynical view is that technicians generate higher commissions for brokers because they recommend frequent movement in and out of the market."
William A. Sherden, The Fortune Sellers: The Big Business of Selling and Buying Predictions

"The central proposition of charting is absolutely false, and investors who follow its precepts will accomplish nothing but increasing substantially the brokerage charges they pay. There has been a remarkable uniformity in the conclusions of studies done on all forms of technical analysis. Not one has consistently outperformed the placebo of a buy-and-hold strategy."
-Princeton Professor Burton Malkiel (author of A Random Walk Down Wall Street)

Your recommendation of rapidly buying and selling securities based on unproven interpretation of charts to medical professionals (average investors at best, sorry guys we are what we are) in this forum is akin to said professionals using an unproven anesthetic to perform heart-lung transplants, dangerous at best, financially fatal at worst.

This quote says it all: "I love this $hit. please im me if you want to chat or have a stock your interested in we can go through it together and I can show what I know. I am not an expert ...and have been doing well the LAST YEAR." :laugh:

Quoting from your blog: "After getting to a point where I am truly starting to understand I have been up over a 100% over the last two years."

and from previous posts: "i have three passions, 1. hockey 2. technical analysis of the market(s) and a very distant 3. is medicine."

If you're really up over 100% the last two years, maybe you should bag medicine and do technical analysis. Let's see, $10,000 at 50% per year.....$33 million in 20 years. Wow, the compound interest boggles my mind. Your paltry 200K from anesthesia will just be a distraction, especially if it is a distant third in your list of priorities.

P.S. Hockey kicks Ass. Sorry to be so personal, but when I see people buying into your kooky investment ideas and losing their hard earned dough because they spend all their time trying to help patients instead of learning how the financial markets work, I've got to at least provide another perspective on TA.

Actually, I believe there are a handful of hedge funds that have been successful for an extended duration (15 yrs) using systematic TA trading platforms. The reason the public hasn't heard much about them is because it is illegal for them to advertise to the public since it is such a risky investment strategy. I do agree with your sentiment, though, in that it is a dangerous proposition for a novice investor. The hedge I worked for had 5-min data for 30+ years and spent uncountable hours optimizing the trades they used, and they could only come up with 20-30 that were successful. They are among the most successful in the world as they came up with wide vs. narrow range trading strategy, and they only make money of 56% of their trades. Without the ability to withstand significant drawdowns, TA is a dangerous endeavor.

-Who is John Galt?

ya you should really hand your money over to people that get residual commision year after year. everyone is a novice when they first start. i am just advocating a different view of the markets.

my main reason for bringing this up is look at the example shown in this thread - someone goes out and buys pfizer, in a wicked downtrend, and gets killed - according to a lot of analysts say its was a "strong" buy. believe whatever you want man, by simply buying or shorting stocks based on there trend I have been doing great. you right there is a lot voodoo technicians that are just gambling. i advocate watching volume and price trends. when your buddys at the mutual fund are dumping stock while issuing a "strong buy" the charts show that. maybe I will bag medicine someday. but why would i do that because i am making money somewhere else?

good attitude by the way - sorry your such an a-hole. if you got a personal problem with me man just im me we can work it out... or f' it just e-mail me, you know where to find me.

mario carmosino

Hockeyguy said:
ya you should really hand your money over to people that get residual commision year after year. everyone is a novice when they first start. i am just advocating a different view of the markets.

my main reason for bringing this up is look at the example shown in this thread - someone goes out and buys pfizer, in a wicked downtrend, and gets killed - according to a lot of analysts say its was a "strong" buy. believe whatever you want man, by simply buying or shorting stocks based on there trend I have been doing great. you right there is a lot voodoo technicians that are just gambling. i advocate watching volume and price trends. when your buddys at the mutual fund are dumping stock while issuing a "strong buy" the charts show that. maybe I will bag medicine someday. but why would i do that because i am making money somewhere else?

good attitude by the way - sorry your such an a-hole. if you got a personal problem with me man just im me we can work it out... or f' it just e-mail me, you know where to find me.

mario carmosino

Hand money over to someone for residual commission? No one is suggesting load mutual funds, and certainly none with a high expense ratio. And I certainly don't suggest you listen to any "analyst." I submit the fact that you are "doing great" is more likely due to luck than to a superior investment system. Stick with your system for 10+ years (if you ever develop a set system that is, it seems as you "learn more" your system is constantly changing.) If you can show me you keep getting 50% a year, I'll send you a chunk of money to invest for me.

I suggested you might consider bagging medicine because it is 1) Less enjoyable to you than technical analysis and 2) apparently less profitable to you than technical analysis.

As far as the name calling, I'll see you on the ice. I hope you see me before you put your head down in a corner. He he he.

Ventil8 said:
Actually, I believe there are a handful of hedge funds that have been successful for an extended duration (15 yrs) using systematic TA trading platforms. The reason the public hasn't heard much about them is because it is illegal for them to advertise to the public since it is such a risky investment strategy. I do agree with your sentiment, though, in that it is a dangerous proposition for a novice investor. The hedge I worked for had 5-min data for 30+ years and spent uncountable hours optimizing the trades they used, and they could only come up with 20-30 that were successful. They are among the most successful in the world as they came up with wide vs. narrow range trading strategy, and they only make money of 56% of their trades. Without the ability to withstand significant drawdowns, TA is a dangerous endeavor.

-Who is John Galt?
20-30 successful trades in 30+ years? Surely that isn't what you mean to say? Are you suggesting physician investors analyze q5 minute data to invest or are you suggesting the use of these hedge funds?

Desperado said:
20-30 successful trades in 30+ years? Surely that isn't what you mean to say? Are you suggesting physician investors analyze q5 minute data to invest or are you suggesting the use of these hedge funds?

My point is that they have spent years, and millions of dollars to develop their trading algorithms. Despite this effort they have only come up with a relatively limited number of ways to consistently make money. Long term success in purely analytical trading can be accomplished, but to make it sound easy is dangerous.

Further, as someone from the profession we always think about price advantage. It kills me to see how many people are investing through these new "red-light, green-light" day trading platforms. If you think for a second that someone else is not profitting off of YOU, you're naiive. I would only consider using a non-proprietary platform if it allowed the user to define all parameters of trades without presets. I've not looked into these in much detail, but from the TV ads and some descriptions, they are more automated than what is ideal.

If you can come up with a trade that makes money, say, 65% of the time and makes enough each time to be worthwhile, you've hit a goldmine. If you are relying on a relatively finite series of datapoints, you have a trend, not a trade. We had to analyze our trades on two sets of historical data (all 5-min intervals divided "randomly" by days. Trades would have to be equally successful in both "environments" to rule out data mining or "perfect knowledge". If you've got some ideas and want to discuss them, I'd be happy to do so. I am willing to explain some of the logic the hedge I worked for applied, but cannot disclose actual trades, of course.

-A is A

Further, the 30 trades the company employs have to work in more than 8 futures markets, and occur frequently enough that they are not minable (competitor determining what our trade is) to work. They also have to executable without slippage or moving a market. (You cannot expect to get into a market that gapped interday without considerable slippage because the trade would have to hit MOO, as an example)

TIE is a titanium producer who's most important clients are aircraft manufacturers. As you can see, the market is flying in the past 3 years. They are leaders in the "sponge" metal industry, and thus can produce Ti cheaper than others. Big range, volume, and retracement today... opportunity to buy as I did at 68.84. Future contracts kept market down today as they will roll next week. Potential split announcement later this month... GL all

Hey Vent thats a good looking chart! The only thing that concerns me is that it was down on 4X the average volume. But your right what a powerfull uptrend. How do you ussually play the splits? I have never really gotten into that.

I like to buy when stocks when stocks bust up through the 200 day moving average on big volume - my point - apply that idea to TIE and the entry would have been at about 2.15 in April of 03'. 10,000 invested at 2.10 would be worth about what, 340,000 today? That would be a nice little hit. Right now I am riding Q. It broke the 200 day at about 4 and is at 5.73 as of the close today. Might take 50% of table next week and lock in some profits.

Still looking for a good short - Rode DAL down from 5 bucks to .80. That was nice I need another one of those. Have any in mind.

Hockey Guy,

How do you learn the art of investing? I want to learn how to do my own research and do a little specuation.

I was thinking about studying for the chartered financial analyst exam just the first test though. friend told my the first test is all you really need. also thought about an MBA after residency.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
apellous said:
Hockey Guy,

How do you learn the art of investing? I want to learn how to do my own research and do a little specuation.

I was thinking about studying for the chartered financial analyst exam just the first test though. friend told my the first test is all you really need. also thought about an MBA after residency.
thanks.
yo is an MBA post residency necessary? I know that everone that does stocks dont have an MBA..but would having one help?

In and out of TIE intraday. Wide range reversal was too obvious... sold just over 70.40 (couple percent in a day) and bought back at 63.24 later in the day. This is tradable and a good stock to hold... 10Q's coming and a quantas contract? Split material.

Position: long.

Keep looking for opening range reversals while its trading so wide.

-A is A

And away we (TIE) go... look to retrace in 70's.

Quantas contract is as expected with boeing = PE will be around 19 if they adjust 10Q's appropriately.

Hockeyguy said:
Check it out man - my two current stocks Q and JDSU are up BIG! E-mail me homey I can recommend a few great books too for learing tech analysis. Also for first initial study go to: http://clearstation.etrade.com/education/reading_graphs.shtml

sorry if the blog sucks trying to find my voice/writing style - it will get better i promise/hope!

http://freetechtrader.blogspot.com/

My name is Mario by the way.

Hi,
Hope ya'll had a great new year and christmas (had to work over christmas but made up for that when i got new year's off ;) ). Wanted to get your thoughts on CAG (ConAgra- a large food manufacturer).
Looks like a solid company thats been around for a while and though I'm still new to technical analysis, it seems pretty positive from my understanding on clearwater.com -MACD looks good and its currently being oversold while still holding its price at mid $19. On top of that, bolinger bands predict it heading up. The predicted dividend of around $1 would atleast guarantee a 5% return assuming the shares don't drop in value.
Almost invested in GM for the very long term (i can't see them going bankrupt, GM is too much of an american icon for the public to let that happen -i.e. i think the government would bail them out if need be. also, with all the small companies they own being so many potential sources of profit, I think they could turn around and make a huge profit quickly if they could get their act together). This is ofcourse all based on speculation on my part, so I wouldn't be very surprised if i turned out to be wrong. Got cold feet though when i read online that all big manufacturers in the near will have to put down on paper how they plan to account for the big pension plans they have promised in the past. Think this may have a sudden impact on dividends and result in another big blow to stock price- again, speculation on my part.
Any thoughts on CAG?

Been reading up on morning star posts and folks seem pretty fired up on SGTL with intent on selling off in about 6 to 12 months with predicted goal of around $18. Right now its going for around $13. Looking at clearwater.com, seems like its on a down trend, so not sure what i'm missing.
You guys have any thoughts on SGTL?

Investor newbie :thumbup:

Of interest, my previous suggestion of the titanium play turned out the be the "stock of the year" by Cramer (CNBC pundit)... he suggested a competitor ATI for this year, but I think he might be off. TIE has far more potential and can obtain source metals much cheaper than ATI. I expect both to be profitable investments. TIE earnings come around Feb 1st.

Another interesting play is CCJ, a company that purifies uranium for use in reactors. They have several international contracts to provide source uranium and metering rods (prevents overheating) through 2012. Do you due diligence, and perhaps let me know what YOU think.

"Ahh, Reardon metal." -Dagny Taggert

Seems like I'm the only one left commenting here...

another interesting stock is GTE: they are a telecommunications company that hasn't entered the US market yet. What makes they unique is their communication vehicle, the stratolite. A 2-way communication sattelite "ship" that can cover 200k acres each. This, if effective, would be huge advantage over one way communication that is industry standard. Many int'l contracts, just had first US launch few months ago.

Anyone out there?

Still reading...just havent been posting.

Made a quick 10% on a company call Connexant CNXT a little while ago. Bought it as soon as Cramer recomended it, sold it when all of his viewers showed up the next day to buy it. I think it may be back down now.

So you think Reardon Metal is where its at huh? Some pretty fine metal...I hear its perfect for train tracks.

hey guys, have been finishing up on the interview trail and hanging out with my daughter sorry i haven't been that active. Q and JDSU are still in strong uptrends, JDSU is really clippping now and starting to hit new highs.

have two SPECULATIVE plays

1) AVNX if this breaks below the 200 day moving average (which is at about 1 dollar) would run for the door - but there seems to be alot of build up in this stock. again this is a very speculative play i own it at 1.09 close today at 1.15 - again if it closed below 1.00 dollar would sell imediately.

2) CMG this is chipotle mexican grill an IPO set to begin trading at the end of next week - CMG will be the symbol. i was unable to secure any pre-open shares so will buy on the open market somewhere between 15 -18 dollars. i will be rolling Q profit into this one and maybe JDSU. this is pretty speculative as well but not as much as AVNX. this is not a technical analysis pick. i know the company as it was started here in denver and of my friends is really close with the dude who started it and i think its rock solid. this will be a stock i hold onto for a number of years i think it has huge upside. there is also alot of buzz about this stock you probably have heard it mentioned around recently - could be a nice little hit!

Mario

Speaking of railroads... I'm going to pick up some BNI on Monday if it doesn't gap up significantly. Rails are going to have a big quarter and this is one of the biggest in the west-southwest area. Fundamentals were speculated by Genworth and were likely conservative. Earnings Tuesday or Wednesday, looking for a pop and Im out. Trying to pull 5-7%.

A is A.

I thought Chipotle was owned by McDonald's?

Basically Chipotle was a huge success when it first opened - needed an infusion of cash to expand out east and open more stores. Now has a strong enough base profitable blah blah blah, the IPO is essentially a psudeo "spin-off" everybody wins. Now they need to get out from under McD's to experience the next leg of growth. But McD is stilll going to make a good amount of money off the deal and a still have a substantial seat on the board - not sure if it will still be majority stake. either way it looks lie a win-win to me McD is a powerhouse corp.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/23/markets/ipo/chipotle.reut/index.htm

Hockeyguy said:
Basically Chipotle was a huge success when it first opened - needed an infusion of cash to expand out east and open more stores. Now has a strong enough base profitable blah blah blah, the IPO is essentially a psudeo "spin-off" everybody wins. Now they need to get out from under McD's to experience the next leg of growth. But McD is stilll going to make a good amount of money off the deal and a still have a substantial seat on the board - not sure if it will still be majority stake. either way it looks lie a win-win to me McD is a powerhouse corp.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/23/markets/ipo/chipotle.reut/index.htm

Hmm...seems like it would be a good long term investment. I've seen quite a few of these lately...I think there is a fair bit of value available out there.

I've had some free time and have visisted a couple casinos in california, both indian reservation casinos but also urban casinos where you play against the 'corporation' and you pay the casino a buck for each hand while someone for the corporation sits there and covers all the chips and takes each loss or win. My question is, who the hell is the 'corporation' and how can i get a piece of that pie. I'm trying to learn the concept of why u cant play against the house but you can play against the 'corporation'. I asked one of those 'corporation' guys sitting with his little box of chips about who owned the company and he named one main guy but that there were others with co-ownership. The dude claims that the company rakes in millions a year which makes sense since casinos are built that way. Anyone know bout casino investment? That's were money is guaranteed!

MedicinePowder said:
I've had some free time and have visisted a couple casinos in california, both indian reservation casinos but also urban casinos where you play against the 'corporation' and you pay the casino a buck for each hand while someone for the corporation sits there and covers all the chips and takes each loss or win. My question is, who the hell is the 'corporation' and how can i get a piece of that pie. I'm trying to learn the concept of why u cant play against the house but you can play against the 'corporation'. I asked one of those 'corporation' guys sitting with his little box of chips about who owned the company and he named one main guy but that there were others with co-ownership. The dude claims that the company rakes in millions a year which makes sense since casinos are built that way. Anyone know bout casino investment? That's were money is guaranteed!

I know you can invest in partypoker.com an online gambling site. They make tons of $$. Its on one of the exchanges in england.

I'm a new investor in the stock market. Can any one recommend an online brokerage (E-Trade, Fidelity, ameritrade, etc....), and why you chose that firm. Thanks

am out of q and jdsu - still holding AVNX everything else going into chipotle tommorow - IPO goes live. this ought to tie up my money for a while.

for the person asking the best brokerage hands down its scottrade. i use e-trade just because i have since 99. when i am not so lazy i am going to switch everything over. all have plus and minus but all the big hitters i know - i.e. people who trade for a living (and do well) all ude scotttrade.

mc

Hockeyguy said:
hey guys, have been finishing up on the interview trail and hanging out with my daughter sorry i haven't been that active. Q and JDSU are still in strong uptrends, JDSU is really clippping now and starting to hit new highs.

have two SPECULATIVE plays

1) AVNX if this breaks below the 200 day moving average (which is at about 1 dollar) would run for the door - but there seems to be alot of build up in this stock. again this is a very speculative play i own it at 1.09 close today at 1.15 - again if it closed below 1.00 dollar would sell imediately.

2) CMG this is chipotle mexican grill an IPO set to begin trading at the end of next week - CMG will be the symbol. i was unable to secure any pre-open shares so will buy on the open market somewhere between 15 -18 dollars. i will be rolling Q profit into this one and maybe JDSU. this is pretty speculative as well but not as much as AVNX. this is not a technical analysis pick. i know the company as it was started here in denver and of my friends is really close with the dude who started it and i think its rock solid. this will be a stock i hold onto for a number of years i think it has huge upside. there is also alot of buzz about this stock you probably have heard it mentioned around recently - could be a nice little hit!

Mario

Just curious, I keep reading that only big time investors get a chance at pre-open shares of IPO's that are worthwhile getting into. What do they mean by this. Are they talking portfolios that attending physicians could potentially have, or we talking bill gates kind of cash working with full service brokrage firms. How exactly do these folks get these opportunities?

I have also read that prices tend to drop the first few days out from an IPO offering, do you guys think CMG will be an exception or is the drop usually small enough that you really don't get much from waiting?

investor newbie :thumbup:

Hockeyguy said:
am out of q and jdsu - still holding AVNX everything else going into chipotle tommorow - IPO goes live. this ought to tie up my money for a while.

for the person asking the best brokerage hands down its scottrade. i use e-trade just because i have since 99. when i am not so lazy i am going to switch everything over. all have plus and minus but all the big hitters i know - i.e. people who trade for a living (and do well) all ude scotttrade.

mc

I'll second the scottrade nomination. I use it because the trades are cheap...just $7 per trade (market or limit or stoploss or whatever).

TheSandMan said:
Just curious, I keep reading that only big time investors get a chance at pre-open shares of IPO's that are worthwhile getting into. What do they mean by this. Are they talking portfolios that attending physicians could potentially have, or we talking bill gates kind of cash working with full service brokrage firms. How exactly do these folks get these opportunities?

I have also read that prices tend to drop the first few days out from an IPO offering, do you guys think CMG will be an exception or is the drop usually small enough that you really don't get much from waiting?

investor newbie :thumbup:

you usually do need big money but not bill gates money. my buddy got 900k worth at 9 dollars a share a few months ago. he does have a significant amount of money with underwriters but not unlike what an anesth attending might have after five/ten years or so. just keep learning saving investing and we'll all get there. the rich do get richer though when this thing opens tommorow at say around 20 bucks he'll make a cool million (before taxes) - by way of background he has made all his money using technical analysis and starting with 15K around ten years ago, i guess he forgot to read the "academic studies" mentioned previously in this thread :) he should have indexed could have a made a whooping 8.5% a year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?guid={66E2932E-6B7C-45B7-8A31-778CEAEA1006}&siteid=

Hockeyguy said:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?guid={66E2932E-6B7C-45B7-8A31-778CEAEA1006}&siteid=
Did U buy at $22??????

New stock short BZH today at 68.75 - been waiting for homebuilders to start a downtrend for a while. still holding CMG and AVNX long

mario

any 'cheap' picks?

as in stocks trading <10 but w/ great potential? lol..poor future resident here.

I maintain STXN and GTE are both good speculative holdings. Had you bought at my original posting you'd be up a nice 40%, but there is still upside.

Do your own DD. Not TA, based on fundamentals.

TIE is another, but is not cheap. Probably missed your chance to get shares in the 60s, but I'm anticipating no less than 30% for the rest of this year, split adjusted. Insiders just bought another 16 million in shares Tuesday... ready for earnings!!! Purer titanium play than ATI (Cramer's choice of stock of the year) and RTI. LTA with Boeing = $$$$$

as ventil8 said he recomended a couple of great ones - i had jdsu and q (which I closed out both for gains greater than 40%). so keep watching the board i will try to post when i make a move. AVNX is cheap. Would have been good to buy at 1.09 with the rest of us. Today its 1.37 (up 26% another kooky TA play :laugh: ) you may have missed the move there. I am also short BZH at 68.75... order in to close it out at 62 for a quick 20%+ gain (shorted on margin). lots of good ideas tossed around here just keep watching...

another stock I'm looking at is ENER. This company makes the batteries for Hybrid cars produced by almost every company EXCEPT toyota. With the future looking bright for hybrids, this company might be a good holding.

TIE breaking out, bollingers tightening... Upside in 50s?

-Who is John Galt?

cough cough, 8% today on TIE... 52-week high, breaking out from narrow range... any takers?

-A is A

Hockeyguy said:
as ventil8 said he recomended a couple of great ones - i had jdsu and q (which I closed out both for gains greater than 40%). so keep watching the board i will try to post when i make a move. AVNX is cheap. Would have been good to buy at 1.09 with the rest of us. Today its 1.37 (up 26% another kooky TA play :laugh: ) you may have missed the move there. I am also short BZH at 68.75... order in to close it out at 62 for a quick 20%+ gain (shorted on margin). lots of good ideas tossed around here just keep watching...

AVNX BABY! Thanks for the tip, bought at around 1.28, now almost 1.70, made a cool grand. Keep the tips coming. :eek:

miamidc said:
AVNX BABY! Thanks for the tip, bought at around 1.28, now almost 1.70, made a cool grand. Keep the tips coming. :eek:
I would hold AVNX for a while longer... you can take some money off the table to lock in a profit (20% in one day is a nice little pop don't be suprised to see some profit taking later this week). My gut feeling is to let it ride with a liberal stop. Plenty of volume so you won't have any trouble moving in or out - I think about 10 million shares moved today. There are some nice patterns setting up I will post when they trigger or IM me and I will just send them to you. TTP broke the 200 day moving average january 30 at about 2 dollars and is now 3.65 - I didn't post because I wasn't sure anyone was reading anymore. I'm telling you all technical analysis is the way to go - I have posted a number of very profitable trades here in real time.

Hockeyguy said:
I would hold AVNX for a while longer... you can take some money off the table to lock in a profit (20% in one day is a nice little pop don't be suprised to see some profit taking later this week). My gut feeling is to let it ride with a liberal stop. Plenty of volume so you won't have any trouble moving in or out - I think about 10 million shares moved today. There are some nice patterns setting up I will post when they trigger or IM me and I will just send them to you. TTP broke the 200 day moving average january 30 at about 2 dollars and is now 3.65 - I didn't post because I wasn't sure anyone was reading anymore. I'm telling you all technical analysis is the way to go - I have posted a number of very profitable trades here in real time.

Hey Hockey

I am always reading your posts. Wish you would keep the blog you started going, but I know time is pretty hard to come by for us.
Have money tied up in SZE, though it was going places, but the French government squashed a potential merger so that stock is now stagnant.
Is there a stock screener to find stocks that are breaking the 200 day moving average or do you find these mostly through heavy research?

Hockeyguy said:

Your wisdom is much appreciated, please post up any new trends you have been seeing. Also what would be a good reading referance on tech analysis, I am very interested in learning more about this, I really think it works.

hey sand checked out SZE for you - sort of a 50/50 right now. looks to me like it could go either way. a couple of nice up moves with big volume followed by two days of big selloff. today looked OK but hard to say. it's personally too risky for me, i would have to loved to buy it when it pushed through the 200 day MA about four months ago at 28 dollars. as far as the blog I just felt like i didn't have enough to dedicate to it to make it any good or at least very educational. to find stocks i don't use a formal screening tool other than bigcharts.com. im if your interested and i will walk through how to set-up the java chart settings. it is a nice way to visualize individual stocks. i have a network of very succesfull traders/investors and we share ideas all the time - we all use the same sort of system. we spend way too much time trolling stocks for set-ups but that really is the best way to find winners and when you start hitting stocks like AVNX andTTP it becomes addicting.

miami if your serious about learning TA get started here:

http://clearstation.etrade.com/education/cover.shtml

after you spend a few hours with this IM i will recomend a book - the only one worth reading in my opinion. but clearstation is the best intro tutorial. even though i don't use 90% of what they teach its good to have a rock solid foundation before you tweek a system to your specific goals and needs.

mario

Hockeyguy said:
hey sand checked out SZE for you - sort of a 50/50 right now. looks to me like it could go either way. a couple of nice up moves with big volume followed by two days of big selloff. today looked OK but hard to say. it's personally too risky for me, i would have to loved to buy it when it pushed through the 200 day MA about four months ago at 28 dollars. as far as the blog I just felt like i didn't have enough to dedicate to it to make it any good or at least very educational. to find stocks i don't use a formal screening tool other than bigcharts.com. im if your interested and i will walk through how to set-up the java chart settings. it is a nice way to visualize individual stocks. i have a network of very succesfull traders/investors and we share ideas all the time - we all use the same sort of system. we spend way too much time trolling stocks for set-ups but that really is the best way to find winners and when you start hitting stocks like AVNX andTTP it becomes addicting.

miami if your serious about learning TA get started here:

http://clearstation.etrade.com/education/cover.shtml

after you spend a few hours with this IM i will recomend a book - the only one worth reading in my opinion. but clearstation is the best intro tutorial. even though i don't use 90% of what they teach its good to have a rock solid foundation before you tweek a system to your specific goals and needs.

mario

First off thanks for the info, I will be reading up on Clearstation all day today. Also, if you real this during trade time today, just wanted your thoughts on AVNX today. I still havn't sold anything today, but was thinking about selling 2/3 my shares when stock hits mid 190s today, i think it might hit $2. Would you sell more , less or wait till next week to sell?? What do you think is a good selling price???Just seaking some advise from seasoned trader. Thanks buddy...I'll get back to you when I do a little more reading. Cheers, R.

miamidc said:
First off thanks for the info, I will be reading up on Clearstation all day today. Also, if you real this during trade time today, just wanted your thoughts on AVNX today. I still havn't sold anything today, but was thinking about selling 2/3 my shares when stock hits mid 190s today, i think it might hit $2. Would you sell more , less or wait till next week to sell?? What do you think is a good selling price???Just seaking some advise from seasoned trader. Thanks buddy...I'll get back to you when I do a little more reading. Cheers, R.
i would let this baby run - it seems to have legs. something is up here (in a good way) there is swamping volume to the upside along with a huge move. this is the beauty of tech analysis we got in at 1.09. when AVNX starts getting upgraded by some douche bag analyst or cramer or positive news comes out then the second wave of buying will come in. no-one will fault you for taking a profit - what are you up like 50%? i am letting it run. i have ttp too which is clocking some serious duckets it is nerve racking leaving so much profit on the table but you get rich letting these big winners run. hopefully these picks are inspiring a few of you. someone spewed some venom at me about technical analysis being bogus bs and kooky. well what pick has he posted? i have given several picks that have made me and at least a few of you some good money and hopefully i kept a few people from losing money that im'ed me about some real losers.

by the way bzh is breaking down - i have it as a short and my original target was 62 but i am losening that up looking to close trade at 58 or better. good luck.

mario

ps - AVNX just hit 2.18 - there is your 100% :laugh: