Money and Investment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
miamidc said:
Thanks for the headsup. Put a grand on each. Got CVM at $1, made a cool grand on that one. I owe you some drinks brother. I love this ****. :D :D :D :D

Strong work fellas :thumbup:
-sand

Members don't see this ad.

Another one in the Bird Flu sector. AIDO made big moves along with CVU and STTK. Look for ? pullback in the AM for profit gains though. Try to catch it on the down trend. These will be big until the bird flu scare passes

This is getting ridiculous fellas. :laugh:

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=PR&Date=20060404&ID=5621092&Symbol=US:NKBS

Huge pick snow those weren't even on my radar - I missed the move was busy today. Anyway the NKBS is such a classic example of how good technical analysis works. Obviously a ton of people in the company and other insiders knew they were going to annouce record earnings, yeah its illegal but it happens, so we see volume moving as we cross the 200day ma and pick up a nice little nut - then this comes out and everyone comes in tommorow and buys it up, when you get in on something like this you feel like an insider its such a rush. PLus whoever mentioned the CFO resigning dude did you bother to see that was last JUNE?

Nice pic on GPIC sand glad to see you feeling it brother. Teach a man to fish....

ps - how about LNUX bitchslappin a new 52 week high today! booyah. Also really hate the way ttp is acting i think its officially out of steam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful now. STTK made a huge drop with some news of false news postings. If you would of caught AIDO at the opening bell, you could have made close to 100%. Do your own research, but just given ya guys a heads up. I think CVM still has potential given tehy are waiting on a patent for their vaccine

snowman8 said:
Be careful now. STTK made a huge drop with some news of false news postings. If you would of caught AIDO at the opening bell, you could have made close to 100%. Do your own research, but just given ya guys a heads up. I think CVM still has potential given tehy are waiting on a patent for their vaccine

yea i got out of STTK and CVM this am. made some profit, put some back into cvm at 1.20

I can tell many of ya'll watch Cramer, "booya". What do you guys think of Cramer on Mad Money. It seems that alot of stocks move after he gives the thumbs up. I think he full of sh_t. He pushes alot of annoying buttons and IMHO never gives any real reason why a stock is bullish or in the bear market. But what do I know. I'm not a financial consultant. He doesn't present convincing evidence with his recommendations.

hockey guy

or any others of you out there.

Give me some advice here. I bought into VXGN when it was about 12. It's at 8 now. Got a few thousand invested. Whatcha think? These cats were the guys that were supposed to be out with the anthrax vaccine.

Sell or Hold? ??

snowman8 said:
I can tell many of ya'll watch Cramer, "booya". What do you guys think of Cramer on Mad Money. It seems that alot of stocks move after he gives the thumbs up. I think he full of sh_t. He pushes alot of annoying buttons and IMHO never gives any real reason why a stock is bullish or in the bear market. But what do I know. I'm not a financial consultant. He doesn't present convincing evidence with his recommendations.
He is definately a douche - that being said I'll tip my hat to him if I ever meet him he put about half of my med school tution in my pocket when he started pumping AVNX. I took a substantial position at 1.09 (before he mentioned) and dumped at 3.27 (after he pumped it for about a week). Its entertainment though and he makes me laugh so I tune when its on. But I would never buy soley on his recs.

As far as VXGN thats a brutal looking chart there is huge volume downdrafts and its trending down below the 200 day ma so I would sell but thats just me. It actually looks like a better short than a long position. Thats why I advocate the charts - you should have run for the door at 11 - 10 tops. Serious breakdown on big volume. It actually did break up through the 200 day ma but on practically no volume though so it isn't a valid breakout. Good luck any thought snow/sand?

ThinkFast007 said:
hockey guy

Give me some advice here. I bought into VXGN when it was about 12. It's at 8 now. Got a few thousand invested. Whatcha think? These cats were the guys that were supposed to be out with the anthrax vaccine.

Sell or Hold? ??

I don't know man. The chart sure makes it look like folks are running from this stock right now. It may rebound in the near future, but nothing right now to indicate that happening. Personally if it were me I'd dump it.

ThinkFast007 said:
hockey guy

Sell or Hold? ??

Thats a big dump it brother, cant see that climbing past 9 for several months, if that, and will most likely dip another dollar or so.

ThinkFast007 said:
hockey guy

Sell or Hold? ??

Dump it. A penny stock like that is to volatile, unless you have 100's of thousands you can spare. Most recent med school grads like my self have to make a little more conservative picks, but if you see a hot penny stock jump on the day trader bandwagon for a quick 30-50%. Look at the Bird flu sector and there is a chance there to make several thou! Anyways DUMP! Good Luck.

thanks folks. will do... aww man i hate cashing out after loosing so much...it sucks....maybe i should get into the bird flu thing :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ThinkFast007 said:
thanks folks. will do... aww man i hate cashing out after loosing so much...it sucks....maybe i should get into the bird flu thing :laugh:
Better to sell at 8 bucks than 8 cents though. Honestly biggest rookie mistake is selling your winners to soon and holding on to losers too long for hopes of a rebound. Check out PIR breaking the 200 day ma with nice volume! I might pick up some on the pullback. Ah STTK your classic pump-and-dump check it out http://www.stocklemon.com/04_04_06.html

Hockeyguy said:
Better to sell at 8 bucks than 8 cents though. Honestly biggest rookie mistake is selling your winners to soon and holding on to losers too long for hopes of a rebound. Check out PIR breaking the 200 day ma with nice volume! I might pick up some on the pullback. Ah STTK your classic pump-and-dump check it out http://www.stocklemon.com/04_04_06.html

STTK was def a dump, but CMV picking up a nice 25% today, I think this one holds some weight.

i sadly put in a limit order of $8 for VXGN :( :(

oh well... let's see if i get it before closign time...if so i think i might transfer some $$ into CVM

ThinkFast007 said:
i sadly put in a limit order of $8 for VXGN :( :(

oh well... let's see if i get it before closign time...if so i think i might transfer some $$ into CVM

If you go into CVM tom, first make sure you have settled funds, so that you can place a stop on it and get out of it quick if for some reason it tanks, or their is a massive pullout, this is a very volitile stock in a very volitile market. I am purely day-trading this one, and keeping a close eye on it. Also its looking like 30% gains today, so look for a slight pullback tommorow, again. although their might be a good in on the pre-market if it is looking like another bullish day. Good Luck.

Well the end of day rally got cut in half, but 15% is not to shabby

miamidc said:
If you go into CVM tom, first make sure you have settled funds, so that you can place a stop on it and get out of it quick if for some reason it tanks, or their is a massive pullout, this is a very volitile stock in a very volitile market. I am purely day-trading this one, and keeping a close eye on it. Also its looking like 30% gains today, so look for a slight pullback tommorow, again. although their might be a good in on the pre-market if it is looking like another bullish day. Good Luck.
true that man....

hahah never day traded like that...but maybe if i can mk something off it i'll do it before say 8AM. then pullout :D

hahaha...i'm not doing any of that if i dont get my $8 per VXGN...which doesnt looking like it's going to happen soon :mad:

Another Bird flu to keep your eye on, GTHA. Esp since they announced today that a dead bird was found in Alaska with the avian bird flu. Might be a good one to day trade tomorrow

snowman8 said:
Another Bird flu to keep your eye on, GTHA. Esp since they announced today that a dead bird was found in Alaska with the avian bird flu. Might be a good one to day trade tomorrow

Good to say the least:

GTHA fast track dev. of DNA vaccine-bird flu/others. GTHA's Purivax chromotagraphy system to enable accelerated development of an rDNA vaccine for Avian bird flu and other bacterial/viral diseases. Dramatically improves biological purity and eliminates toxic effects. More importantly, the recombinant DNA vaccine technology of GTHA is innovative for the vaccine design process known as genetic immunization. Traditional technologies and 1st generation chromotagraphy systems of other companies do not have this capability.
Scientists and others say possible first bird flu case in US by spring summer. Today, 1st case found in Scotland.

I will be throwing some loot on this for sure :thumbup:

miamidc said:
Good to say the least:

GTHA fast track dev. of DNA vaccine-bird flu/others. GTHA's Purivax chromotagraphy system to enable accelerated development of an rDNA vaccine for Avian bird flu and other bacterial/viral diseases. Dramatically improves biological purity and eliminates toxic effects. More importantly, the recombinant DNA vaccine technology of GTHA is innovative for the vaccine design process known as genetic immunization. Traditional technologies and 1st generation chromotagraphy systems of other companies do not have this capability.
Scientists and others say possible first bird flu case in US by spring summer. Today, 1st case found in Scotland.

I will be throwing some loot on this for sure :thumbup:
man i think i might just cash out on the VXGn at whatever i can get. perhaps get a piece of that GTHA. but it went up by .125 (119.06%) !!!! do you guys think that it may take a fall tommorrow? perhaps not...cuz of the good news that MIAMIDC mentioned. nice pic SNOW.

i might have to put my hand in the pot too, after what just happened to me!

Hey guys I live in north denver which right next to the suburb Wheat ridge. The rec center I play b-ball at is right down the street from the corperate offices of GTHA. I drove by out of curiosity it was literally in a mini-mall type place next to great clips and the like - please exercise caution with this one!

MC

snowman8 said:
Boy did the market suck today!

Suck is not the word, that **** blew. its funny, those bird flu pennys were the only ones that made any sort of gains, but those small gains didn't offset the disaster of a day this was, better luck monday yall. :(

Hockeyguy said:
Hey guys I live in north denver which right next to the suburb Wheat ridge. The rec center I play b-ball at is right down the street from the corperate offices of GTHA. I drove by out of curiosity it was literally in a mini-mall type place next to great clips and the like - please exercise caution with this one!

MC

****, I'm hoping when Monday comes it makes a small gain and then Im dumping. Good thing I don't have too much invested. There is no telling with these damn penny stocks.

damn..i didnt know this til recently (cuz i never traded penny stocks). atleast with scottrade on penny stocks it's $7 PLUS 1/2% of principal.

i guess they gotta mk their cash somehow!!

BEBE (bebe stores inc) looks interesting. Broke through recent resistance at around 18.50, and completely blasted through 200 day MA of 19$ on heavy volume. In addition, DJ Apparel Retailers index shows this sector to be strong. Right now sits at 19.83.

If nothing else, feel obligated to support them. - Don't think they're as popular as before, but girls still look hot in bebe :laugh:

-sand

-ps. if you look at the chart, seems to me there was very heavy volume in late january based on some pretty weak positive news from what I can make out. Insider trading? :rolleyes:

TheSandMan said:
BEBE (bebe stores inc) looks interesting. Broke through recent resistance at around 18.50, and completely blasted through 200 day MA of 19$ on heavy volume. In addition, DJ Apparel Retailers index shows this sector to be strong. Right now sits at 19.83.

If nothing else, feel obligated to support them. - Don't think they're as popular as before, but girls still look hot in bebe :laugh:

-sand

-ps. if you look at the chart, seems to me there was very heavy volume in late january based on some pretty weak positive news from what I can make out. Insider trading? :rolleyes:
Love BEBE! In fact I am going to pick to some up - rick you the man I love the big run up on huge volume in Jan. Look like since then its just been drifting down on lower volume back down and is making another leg of the move up. Really like it. Good to have an extra set of eyes out there scanning the charts.

MC

Despite this being a penny stock, I really like NDOL (Nord Oil). Strong volume past few days as it crashed through an uptrending 200 ma. I think pull back is more due to decreased volume than penny stock traders taking profits (i.e. i don't think alot of a pump and dump effect going on). Will probably buy into tomorrow.

Disclaimer: Be sure to do your own DD though, especially since I'm probably one of the greenest folks on here when it comes to investing

-Sand

ThinkFast007 said:
damn..i didnt know this til recently (cuz i never traded penny stocks). atleast with scottrade on penny stocks it's $7 PLUS 1/2% of principal.

i guess they gotta mk their cash somehow!!

In keeping with the Bird Flu penny's out there.one in particular may be very profitable tom, NMKT. Do your own research, but company financials look pretty solid, and I see a reveral pattern about. As always with these pursue at your own risk, and prob shouldn't keep after normal trading hours. I also see avnx going upupup. May the market be profitable tom. :thumbup:

This may be the week to grab a bit of ttp as its partner goes public.

Please guys if I can give a bit of unsolicited advice - CHILL WITH THE PENNY STOCKS - good god there are plenty of great stocks being tossed around here that won't lose you your nut. I have been around this game long enough to know pennys is a losing game - trust me in college I lost about 1500 playing this s hi t. If you want to gamble go to vegas please don't let wall street rip you off. I know most of you won't listen and will buy anyway thats fine just don't be shocked when you get whacked.

MC

Hockeyguy said:

Please guys if I can give a bit of unsolicited advice - CHILL WITH THE PENNY STOCKS - good god there are plenty of great stocks being tossed around here that won't lose you your nut. I have been around this game long enough to know pennys is a losing game - trust me in college I lost about 1500 playing this s hi t. If you want to gamble go to vegas please don't let wall street rip you off. I know most of you won't listen and will buy anyway thats fine just don't be shocked when you get whacked.

MC
tahnks...dude i just wish that friggin gtha goes to 1.05 again ;)

Hockeyguy said:

MC

I hear you man, go with the ones that have >80% of going up. Cancelled order for NDOL this am. Think it may be a good one, but definitely high risk

Hockeyguy said:
New stock short BZH today at 68.75 - been waiting for homebuilders to start a downtrend for a while. still holding CMG and AVNX long

mario
BZH is so shaky - have 2.75 in profit if it doesn't start breaking down soon here I am going to take this lousy profit of the table...

But since I like to make money long and short I have another short since BZH is weaking it. FFH Fairfax Financial short at 122 - mainly a TA play for me but since you cats love the story behind it so much here you go!

http://www.stocklemon.com/files/051021/HIH_and_Fairfax.pdf

http://www.stocklemon.com/03_27_06.html

Check it out. Big volume today, huge gain in aftermarket on good news on the drug,will surely go up tom. Big news came out during after-market -hours. Company is developing a synthetic surfactin agentto be used for Premature Res Dis Syn, and possible ARDS, it will be the only one on the market. I have been watching this thing for a while. It was sopposed to be granted FDA approval last week, and it didn't for stupid reasons. The drug itself is solid and it will be in clinical use within 6-8 months. Stock tanked on the news that it wasn't ready. Just hit the bottem (went from 7.5 to 4.1,and is coming up to at least 5.50-6 in the short term, 10+ long term I would say. Check into it, has good financials. Also this drug will get approved, bc it has to do with the development facilities of the company not the drug itself, supposedly. Anyways, I bought up @4.30 and @4.20 past few days, now it went up 8% in aftermarket on good news to 4.85 about the drug. Just a heads up yall. Please do your own research before going for any of these. this is def more solid than bird flu, I can surely say. Damn bird flu pennys cost me a few pennys. :thumbup:

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but not new to technical analysis. It has been a while since I was active, but I plan to start back soon and do a lot of research before residency starts.

I just wanted to put my two cents in here on a couple of things:

Someone asked if there is a website that screens for stocks hitting their 200 ema. Clearstation has such a feature, but only for 13 and 50 day ema, which are the most frequently used. If you go to clearstation, then to "tag and bag", then scroll down to technical events, you will see several options and the stocks listed on each index that have made such moves.

Also, for anyone looking for a good book to get started in tech analysis, try Stan Weinstein's "Secrets for profiting in bull and bear markets". The first time somebody ever told me that you could make money when stocks go down, I thought they were crazy. Weinstein does a great job of explaining short sells and long buys and where each have their strengths.

Hockey, mind if I chat you up? I have about 2k to start with, and would love to see that grow quickly with some low dollar/high potential stocks. I know you get this question all the time, but any suggestions right now? Thanks a ton.

While I'm thinking about it, how about

LU (recent cross of EMA's on good volume, though not sure of upside potential),

also CMGI (chart looks favorable, good volume, not sure of general interest in this one).

turkish said:
While I'm thinking about it, how about

LU (recent cross of EMA's on good volume, though not sure of upside potential),

also CMGI (chart looks favorable, good volume, not sure of general interest in this one).
I own a some LU at 2.98 - there are so many outstanding shares though I'm not too sure that its going to move much. CMGI looks good too its on my radar - looking to close above1.60 on strong volume for my entry but I do have an alert on it through e-trade...

Also as far as the other stuff I think Weinsteins book is the bomb - I am short the home-builders waiting for BZH to enter a nice stage 4 breakdown. Basically that book plus clearstation out of the literally thousands of books articles etc I have read are the two strongest things. I am going to add one more thing - Jim Cramer, even though I think he is dangerous - has an amazing chapter in his book "Real Money" about cyclical investing in realtion to the fed fund rates. Basically I figured this out on my own. But by looking at charts!!!! He spells it out differently but we came to the same conclusion it was very cool I think-As you may I have been short BZH a month or so and he said at this point of rate tightening is the best time to short homebuilders because of mortage concerns etc... The 200 Day MA Is just a good entry point and exit point bassically it gives you discipline. Anyway I rambling welcome to the forum - good luck.

MC

ps TTP is officially a dawg it had its run something is up stay away really acting terrible - may even be considered a short at this point. Obviously insiders were hoping for something that hasn't panned out. NKBS stop if we close around 1.80 Would keep it tighter but pulling back on little volume - may even buy some more here with TTP profit...

Here's a couple more to chew on, given this summer's pending oil boom...

ROYL (Royal energy), 6.33 - Recently broke long-term resistance, I think this one may see 8.50 by end of summer, greater if the hype on oil turns out to be true.

POCC (Penn Octane), 0.85 - Yes, it's a penny stock and overbought right now, but it recently broke 3 years of resistance and an upward triangle on big volume. May see 1.25 on current trend by August, greater if people start speculating on oil in big numbers.

Let me know what you guys think, criticism welcome.

Hockeyguy said:
Picked up a lil' LNUX today (15K) at 3.60. Looking for a 25-30% return stop if close at 8% loss the ol' 3:1 play.
LNUX sell @ 5.45 - ltaking a nice lil' profit here exceeded objective could go higher but don't want to get too greedy... Good luck

Mario

Hockeyguy said:
LNUX sell @ 5.45 - ltaking a nice lil' profit here exceeded objective could go higher but don't want to get too greedy... Good luck

Mario
Took LNUX money, after booking a vacation, and picked up 8K shares of EZM this a.m. @ 2.35 -

MC

Also took profit on BZH short at 62.25 profit of $6.50 - more like $13 because it was shorted on margin - got lucky with it coming back down and want to lock in this ~20%. Probably will go a lot lower but I don't want to get greedy especially since I left so much profit on the table before only to see it disapear. This time she is going in the ole' bank account - Cha mother f'in Ching!

MC

What looks so good about EZM, the recent rise in volume (last few weeks)? Mineing is good right now I believe. Does today's analyst downgrade bother you? I've seen stocks hurt pretty bad because of a downgrade, although it dosent seem to be affecting the price of EZM right now...

logos said:
What looks so good about EZM, the recent rise in volume (last few weeks)? Mineing is good right now I believe. Does today's analyst downgrade bother you? I've seen stocks hurt pretty bad because of a downgrade, although it dosent seem to be affecting the price of EZM right now...
I am just looking to turn a quick buck - because its a cheap stock - NOT A PENNY STOCK - in a very hot sector right now that is hitting new 52 week highs almost everyday on big volume. Plus its getting a lot of press as IBDs top pick under ten bucks. I have noticed a tendancy for a few of us round here to want to buy stocks hitting 52 week lows. Sorry thats the wrong thing to do IMHO. You should be looking for stocks that are hitting new highs like EZM. Its very speculative but I made such a sweet quick profit on LNUX I am letting a little ride here... Sounds like your not too into it - please don't buy it, I don't want you blaming me if it doesn't work out. It looks like your Ceph made a little pop today!

yo, what's your stop-loss on ezm? I'm thinking 2.00, right around the 50 ema.

turkish said:
yo, what's your stop-loss on ezm? I'm thinking 2.00, right around the 50 ema.
hey guys, quick Q. you guys refer to this 'ema' business. what is that? how does it help...

THanks

This is one of the better explanations that I could find:

http://www.stockcharts.com/education/IndicatorAnalysis/indic_movingAvg.html

Basically it is an average of the price over the stated period (13 days, 50 days, and 200 days being the most commonly used intervals). EMA is exponential moving average, weighing more recent prices more heavily, SMA is simple moving average, weighing all closing prices the same.

It is helpful because if you look at a chart, once a stock is above or below it's moving average, it usually stays there. If it is trending upward, it tends to stay above the 13 day EMA. If it breaks below the 13 day EMA, it may touch the 50 day ema but will usually not break below it. If it does, that is usually a sign that the current trend is coming to an end, and that you should close your position. Volatility usually ensues, followed eventually by a downtrend in which the prices do exactly opposite (stay below the moving averages on the way down). Of course this is not always true, but look at enough charts and you will see the pattern emerging over and over.

That is why I guessed that 2 dollars would be a good stop-loss point, because it is just below the 50 day ema for EZM. A drop to this price or below will be bad news, and the stock may not rise above it again for a while.

Sorry if I rambled, hope that helped.

Sorry if these have already been posted, but I have been considering investing in stocks for some time now and have finally decided to take the plunge (albeit in a relatively modest fashion, since I'm still in med school). What do you guys think:

IIP
LNUX
TGC
GNA (the only downside being, assuming I'm reading the charts right, it is becoming "overbought")

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

PS Anyone considering GM (I'm tempted, but very afraid) or Ford (seems a bit safer than GM)?