$ money during dental school$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdman12345

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how everybody gets by during dental school. I hear that it is nearly impossible to even have a part time job while being a dental student. so is everyone spending money basically from lones or what? ( im talking about spending money, not tuition or living expenses etc...) and if so, how much is a is reasonable budget for dental school per year? does 5 thousand sound about right?????

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how everybody gets by during dental school. I hear that it is nearly impossible to even have a part time job while being a dental student. so is everyone spending money basically from lones or what? ( im talking about spending money, not tuition or living expenses etc...) and if so, how much is a is reasonable budget for dental school per year? does 5 thousand sound about right?????

Every school has their own budget for you as to how much money you should be allotted for tuition, rent, and living expenses. It will differ from school to school. I don't know of anyone in my class who works except for a couple of classmates who do it more as a hobby rather than for the pay. Most people will be living off of loans for the 4 years in dental school or at least a majority of the costs will be paid off by loans.

You can work for 2-3 years in Public Healthcare and they can repay part or all of your loans.
For example:
Excellent opportunity for experienced general Dentist, recent graduate or Dental Director. JCAHO accredited Non-Profit Community Health Center located in Pawtucket, RI seeks dedicated full time Dentist to join our expanding practice. Brand new ten operatory office with state of the art technology, electronic dental records, NHSC loan repayment, competitive salary, excellent benefit package (malpractice, CE’s, license reimbursement, 403b, life/disability insurance, vacation). Bilingual preferred (Spanish/Portuguese/English). EOE

Send, fax or e-mail resume to: Director Human Resources, BVCHC, 42 Park Place, Pawtucket, RI 02860; fax #: 401-729-0438; e-mail: [email protected]