money for overseas volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am in a bit of problem b/c i am planning to travel overseas to south africa during spring break, but it seems it costs $1000 for the program and $2000 for the plane tickets alone :eek: . so i was wondering, having the quarter almost end in 3 weeks, can i still pull out a student loan somewhere from school?

or even better, is there any scholarships/grants that can be obtained by march 22nd for such a trip? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

no one knows anything about this???

how did you find out about this trip??

Members don't see this ad :)
I funded my S. Africa trip on my own. Except I didn't have program fees associated with my volunteer project (I went through a local organization that needed help, and they covered my room and board). I'm pretty sure there was a thread about volutneering abroad where someone mentioned a website that has listings of such local organizations.

My flight was $1200. Try checking www.travelzoo.com for some deals (that's where I found my ticket this past september). Also, don't forget that S. Africa is on opposite seasons, so march is early fall for them. bring some warm clothing. In September, it was cool enough in the evenings that I wore my fleece.

through some volunteer websites.

if anyone knows how to appropriate money, please tell me!

bbaek said:
through some volunteer websites.

if anyone knows how to appropriate money, please tell me!

If you were offered any loan money this semester that you did not accept then you may be able to go to your financial aid office and accept it now. I know I have done this in the past. You could also maybe fill out a financial hardship form and they may increase your funding -- I wouldn't say you need the money to buy a plane ticket though.

MedicineBird said:
If you were offered any loan money this semester that you did not accept then you may be able to go to your financial aid office and accept it now. I know I have done this in the past. You could also maybe fill out a financial hardship form and they may increase your funding -- I wouldn't say you need the money to buy a plane ticket though.

so you are saying that i am able to take out a loan if i needed now, even though i declined taking it before when they offered?

also, what is the lowest interest on student loans offered?? i know there are several types of loans, but i'm looking for the one that allows a student to pay once OUT of college and has the lowest interest rates.

thanks!

bbaek said:
so you are saying that i am able to take out a loan if i needed now, even though i declined taking it before when they offered?

also, what is the lowest interest on student loans offered?? i know there are several types of loans, but i'm looking for the one that allows a student to pay once OUT of college and has the lowest interest rates.

thanks!

You can't take out a new loan but if you were offerred saaayyyy $2500 in subsidized loans and you only took $1500 of it, you could now accept the extra $1000.

bbaek said:
i am in a bit of problem b/c i am planning to travel overseas to south africa during spring break, but it seems it costs $1000 for the program and $2000 for the plane tickets alone :eek: . so i was wondering, having the quarter almost end in 3 weeks, can i still pull out a student loan somewhere from school?

or even better, is there any scholarships/grants that can be obtained by march 22nd for such a trip? :laugh:

You have to pay $1,000 to volunteer for a week?!! dude, you are getting scamed. are you helping this person in Africa recover a lost inherited fortune and they will give you 10$ million for your help? Look Africa is the 3rd world, so room and board, and stuff shouldnt cost more than 100-200 bucks for the week.