money money money!!

Started by nafcillin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nafcillin

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, what are the offers out there lately? What does an average hospital pharmacist make? How about a retail pharmacist?
 
Average salary has been declining... about $34 per hour for hospital pharmacist..
 
ive heard between 85k (desirable hospital location) -135k (undesirable retail location) or so depending on location and type of practice environment.. but obv havent seen any offers myself .. just word of mouth
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
turned down a new grad offer of $98k at a hospital on the east coast...

took $108k for a LTC position in my smallish home town. start monday, first position as a pharmacist. 🙂
 
Average salary has been declining... about $34 per hour for hospital pharmacist..


I hate to have to agree with you but I fear the peak "pay days" for pharmacists may be behind us. Check out this thread for dental hygienists in Canada http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/den...b-outlook-Dental-Hygienists-Canada/t111908/p3.


About 5 years ago they were making $50+/hr and in very high demand (lots of flexibility, could work when and where they wanted, etc). Then a bunch of private (dentist-sponsored?) hygiene schools started opening up everywhere and now none of the new graduates can find jobs and the pay is in the pits. Yes, the two professions are not directly comparable because pharmacists are more "exclusive" than dental hygienists in that it takes 4 years plus 2 or more years of undergrad but it is just a matter of time before the supply of pharmacists exceeds the number of available positions and we have to start competing with each other for jobs.
 
the sad part about all this is that many pharmacy students are forced to sink themselves five to six figures in the red. It would be a different story if the investment wasn't too costly.

The economy sucks right now and every other sector is suffering just as much. Perhaps when things pick up in the next few years the prospects will be more promising.
 
I think prospects for pharmacy are good. Geesh the optometrists b*tch just as much as you guys do about new schools and they will hurt the profession. Just an FYI there will be new schools opening forever in most fields. I see sooooo many professions complaining about oversaturation, here and on the indeed forums for things like dental hygiene and the like. Try googling about being a chiropracter if you want real bad prospects or take a trip over to the podiatry forum where all they talk about about is their infeirority complex with MD/DO. Also love to read the daily OD/OMD nonsense.

It's like everyone wants in on a career when they make a good salary, but once they're in they want to make it as exclusive as possible. I used to work at a busy mcdonalds for 2 years doing a million things, answering phones, customers, cooking for like no pay WITH rude ass customers that were trailer trash so all these pharmacists need to just gain some perspective.
 
So, what are the offers out there lately? What does an average hospital pharmacist make? How about a retail pharmacist?

Glad to see you are back. Pay is dependent on the area of the country. Where I am, there are no jobs, but pay has not fallen. I do not know what they are offering new grads but it is still over $50.00 per hour. I guess the range is $110,000 to $120,000.00 for a 42 hour week. Less if you are in a 40 hour position and more if you are in a 44 hour store.
 
Glad to see you are back. Pay is dependent on the area of the country. Where I am, there are no jobs, but pay has not fallen. I do not know what they are offering new grads but it is still over $50.00 per hour. I guess the range is $110,000 to $120,000.00 for a 42 hour week. Less if you are in a 40 hour position and more if you are in a 44 hour store.

And where are you sir?
 
I hate to have to agree with you but I fear the peak "pay days" for pharmacists may be behind us. Check out this thread for dental hygienists in Canada http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/den...b-outlook-Dental-Hygienists-Canada/t111908/p3.


About 5 years ago they were making $50+/hr and in very high demand (lots of flexibility, could work when and where they wanted, etc). Then a bunch of private (dentist-sponsored?) hygiene schools started opening up everywhere and now none of the new graduates can find jobs and the pay is in the pits. Yes, the two professions are not directly comparable because pharmacists are more "exclusive" than dental hygienists in that it takes 4 years plus 2 or more years of undergrad but it is just a matter of time before the supply of pharmacists exceeds the number of available positions and we have to start competing with each other for jobs.


I was just kidding about the declining salaries. I have not seen it. I don't think I will see it.

But...

The tipping point of supply vs. demand equilibrium will shift in 2011 summer.

2010 was the year supply caught up with the demand.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just kidding about the declining salaries. I have not seen it. I don't think I will see it.

But...

The tipping point of supply vs. demand equilibrium will shift in 2011 summer.

2010 was the year supply caught up with the demand.


So if supply > demand will the salaries not decline eventually? Perhaps you are just speaking for yourself personally, because you do not anticipate seeing it during your remaing working years.
 
So if supply > demand will the salaries not decline eventually? Perhaps you are just speaking for yourself personally, because you do not anticipate seeing it during your remaing working years.


exactly how old do you think I am?
 
How much did you start at, what are you at now, where are you located, retail or hospital.................................
 
Average salary has been declining... about $34 per hour for hospital pharmacist..

Where, and are these new graduates? I made more than that 10 years ago, and my final salary earlier this year was $52 an hour.

Someone was asking about the USPHS, and that might be a pharmacist's salary in that organization, but they get housing and meal allowances because they are considered paramilitary, and have PX privileges as well which means they can get their grocery and some household supplies at a massive discount.
 
No I would like you to back up your claims or maybe you started at a very low salary. So will you be getting another 34% in 3 years?

Sticky: Day in the Life of a Nuclear Pharmacist (
multipage.gif
1 2 3) SpirivaSunrise

wonder if this is indicative of what she does 😵. nah..
 
How much did you start at, what are you at now, where are you located, retail or hospital.................................


She's a hot little babe of a drug rep. She'll do "anything" to make a sale...

So her commission is like...huge.


:meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As of the SDSU-AFA game where I took AFA +1, I'm 74-60 ATS picking college football games and I've gotten about $22,500 so far this year. I got Oregon St +1 going into the 4th quarter...game is tied. Having a good week...12-7 so far.
 
As of the SDSU-AFA game where I took AFA +1, I'm 74-60 ATS picking college football games and I've gotten about $22,500 so far this year. I got Oregon St +1 going into the 4th quarter...game is tied. Having a good week...12-7 so far.

Did you pick Wisconsin and Texas?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad