money money money!!

Started by nafcillin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I maybe moving there in the next 6 months...rent is expensive in that area!

Depends on where. The burbs are cheaper than in the City. Jersey is more expensive than PA. Compared to most big cities, Philly is really cheap. It's the 5th largest city in the USA and it's not the 5th most expensive place to live. It's:


  • One of the best restaurant towns in the country
  • 90 minutes from the Ocean
  • 120 minutes to the mountains
  • 90 minutes to NYC
  • 2.5 hrs to DC
  • A rockin sports town
  • Unbelievable junk food
 
Depends on where. The burbs are cheaper than in the City. Jersey is more expensive than PA. Compared to most big cities, Philly is really cheap. It's the 5th largest city in the USA and it's not the 5th most expensive place to live. It's:


  • One of the best restaurant towns in the country
  • 90 minutes from the Ocean
  • 120 minutes to the mountains
  • 90 minutes to NYC
  • 2.5 hrs to DC
  • A rockin sports town
  • Unbelievable junk food

I dunno...from my recent apartment browsing, Philly seems pretty expensive to me. I'm just a simple country boy, though. Not accustomed to your complex, big city housing markets. $800/month where I grew up got you a 2500 sq ft house. In Philly, it gets you a 750 sq ft studio. And in Brooklyn, it gets you a 250 sq ft hole in the wall with a communal bathroom. Though if I look up North around Jenkintown or East toward Bensalem, its much more reasonable.

Y'all got any trailer parks? Just take my trailer with me...plop it down...pay $150/month in rent...done. That'd work.
 
I dunno...from my recent apartment browsing, Philly seems pretty expensive to me. I'm just a simple country boy, though. Not accustomed to your complex, big city housing markets. $800/month where I grew up got you a 2500 sq ft house. In Philly, it gets you a 750 sq ft studio. And in Brooklyn, it gets you a 250 sq ft hole in the wall with a communal bathroom. Though if I look up North around Jenkintown or East toward Bensalem, its much more reasonable.

Y'all got any trailer parks? Just take my trailer with me...plop it down...pay $150/month in rent...done. That'd work.

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Houston
5 Phoenix
6 Philadelphia




Compared to the cities above, the COL in Philly is affordable. Compared to WV, not so much.
​
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't understand why the really nice condos across the river in NJ are so much cheaper than the ones on the outskirts of town in Philly. They are the same distance away from downtown. Probably the stigma of living in Jersey. Which most certainly does exist. I mean *I* don't want to be carrying around a NJ license. But Burlington, NJ has some nice houses for comparatively cheap prices, I must say. Right across the river from the Bristol-Bensalem area.
...

Or you could just live in Trenton with the crack addicts for real cheap.
 
Last edited:

beavis.jpg


......

If you are going to be working in Philly...like, downtown Philly...that is too long of a drive. Hit traffic and that might be an hour and a half drive. Plus, you have to pay a ridiculous fee to leave Jersey across the Ben Franklin Bridge. (Which makes sense...certainly nobody would pay to go INTO NJ.)

Where exactly would you be working/stationed/whatever the hell you call it?
 
Last edited:
Just be a policeman/fireman/any gov jobs .. pharmacy is overrated... who wants retirement pay $100k+ at age 50?

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...rica-s-3-trillion-hole-public-sector-pensions

"A recent edition of the Economist magazine has covered some of the issues here. The problem: "One California mayor estimates that the effective cost of employing each police officer and fireman is $180,000 a year. That sum is not their take-home pay. For police and firefighters, the big costs occur when they stop working—retirement at 50, combined with inflation-linking, health benefits and lump sums for unused sick leave which could run into hundred thousand dollars …California is also shelling out fortunes to retired state and municipal managers; more than 9,000 have retirement incomes of over $100,000 a year."