Monogrammed scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em_2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New intern here... Order forms for scrubs are in, and I'm struggling a bit on what to put. Do many residents who have an advanced degree (e.g. M.P.H., Ph.D) put it on their scrubs, or do they save it just for their white coats?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
New intern here... Order forms for scrubs are in, and I'm struggling a bit on what to put. Do many residents who have an advanced degree (e.g. M.P.H., Ph.D) put it on their scrubs, or do they save it just for their white coats?

I don't monogram scrubs for a good reason. If I am out at the gas station, pharmacy, supermarket, etc before or after work I don't want people identifying me as a doctor. It potentially makes me a target for robbery, or just annoying old people striking up a conversation.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't monogram scrubs for a good reason. If I am out at the gas station, pharmacy, supermarket, etc before or after work I don't want people identifying me as a doctor. It potentially makes me a target for robbery, or just annoying old people striking up a conversation.

No worries, he/she will just wear a stylish fleece jacket to cover it up anyways.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We had monogramed scrubs in residency and I carried on the tradition afterwards. If you have on scrubs, most people are going to identify you as a doctor regardless. It's purely personal preference but I think it looks good, especially if you can get the entire department to adopt the style. Patients can easily see that I'm a doctor and identify my name when I walk up to them so it reduces the need for me to repeat myself but all that is relatively minor I suppose.

I use the format:
First Last MD
Emergency Medicine

Reactions: 1 users
I use the same format as Groove. FirstName LastName, MD one first line and Emergency Medicine below it.

I monogram my scrubs because I rarely -- if ever -- wear a white coat. Most of the docs at my place do not wear white coats. Too busy with traumas and critical patients to keep taking it off, forgetting where you put it, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Meanwhile I haven't gotten any emails from my program besides the welcome to the club one...... =/

White coats?????

No worries, he/she will just wear a stylish fleece jacket to cover it up anyways.

Which will also be monogramed with their name and advanced degrees.

White coats?????

Yeah, our program makes us get one, which no one wears. Meanwhile, new scrubs every year...

Debating if I should be:
First Last, MD, MPH

Or just the MD on the scrubs.

Last edited:
. If you have on scrubs, most people are going to identify you as a doctor regardless.

You must be male!

Even in scrubs with Dr. written on them and after introducing myself using the word "doctor" three times, I still get called a nurse...

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
White coats?????
White coats are dead for docs.
Partial list of people that wear them at my hospital: pharmacists (required by policy I think), dietitians, audiologists, nurse managers, cardiac rehab nurses, noctors, you get the idea.

Here is a description of the official wardrobe at my AMC:

If I need to wear scrubs with any type of embroidery, I prefer a very simple format: name and title. However, my AMC provides color-coded scrubs for all faculty/attendings, based on certain medical departments. So, any embroidery on the scrubs is ordered by the AMC, and not by me.

As a professor, I am also expected to wear a long white lab coat provided by the AMC. The lab coat simply shows my name, degree, department name, and logo of the AMC embroidered thereon.

Pursuant to law and policy, I also have to wear an official ID name badge on my lab coat or somewhere on my scrubs. The name badge is color-coded and provides me with immediate access to different departments of the AMC, via an embedded strip. However, the computer software that creates the AMC name badges can only list one degree for each individual. So, if an individual has earned more than one degree (e.g., MD-PhD), only one degree is printed on the name badge.

Personally, I would rather just throw on some plain scrubs with a name badge and go to work.

I'm much more interested in keeping people healthy and alive. Just saying.

Partial list of people that wear them at my hospital: pharmacists (required by policy I think), dietitians, audiologists, nurse managers, cardiac rehab nurses, noctors, you get the idea.

Jesus, man.

I've been beating this drum for years.

White coats are dead, so dead. Deader than disco.

Fomites. Get rid of them.

Don't forget cafeteria workers. Seriously, I've seen cafeteria workers wearing long white coats on more than a few occasions.

Don't forget cafeteria workers. Seriously, I've seen cafeteria workers wearing long white coats on more than a few occasions.
The nursing students here have long white coats.
The only time I wear them is when I'm on Capitol Hill. Or when I'm on TV.
Otherwise, no.

This. The track jackets that I wear over my scrubs at work are monogrammed, but that can easily be removed when I am out in public.

I only put on the white coat to notify family in the waiting room of a death. When the nurses see me throw on the coat, conversation stalls.

At least if you're a resident you can probably use cme money for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I earned the hell out of my MS, it's going on my white goat when I have my MD fa show
Don't forget your B.S., high school varsity choir letter jacket patch, and middle school graduation year.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't forget your B.S., high school varsity choir letter jacket patch, and middle school graduation year.

Whoa whoa whoa, we're not nurses.
The MS is a legit question since its 1-2years spent getting a degree. I've seen many attendings here who habe them vs those who dont that obtained an MS

Whoa whoa whoa, we're not nurses.
The MS is a legit question since its 1-2years spent getting a degree. I've seen many attendings here who habe them vs those who dont that obtained an MS
My Masters degree was easier than high school.

The douchiest are the ones that put MBA on their coats.

My Masters degree was easier than high school.

obviously, its less years and youre not dealing with puberty..

Mine was much different; required committed clinical research time, classes, and a dissertation at the end.

Have a classmate who signs emails:

SuperTrooper, BS
Treasurer Whogivesacrap Interest Group

It's so painful but you just can't look away.

anyone know a good place to get monogramming done? Its not like its hard to find places... I just had a bad experience with the place I used and the monogramming fell apart after far too few washes.... of which scrubs need many many many many.

anyone know a good place to get monogramming done? Its not like its hard to find places... I just had a bad experience with the place I used and the monogramming fell apart after far too few washes.... of which scrubs need many many many many.
Online when you buy them? Or any number of local places. If the monogramming falls apart, that's remarkably ****ty stitching I must say.