More changes to CPR in the near future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non witnessed codes were found to have improved survival if 200 chest compressions were given before ANY intervention was given. The intervention is to be immediately followed by another 200 chest compressions before rhythm analysis.

http://www.theheart.org/article/847615.do

What ya'll think?

Members don't see this ad.

We have had talks about that up here for a while. If it works it's a great way of knowing even the least intelligent population can follow basic instructions out in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
A great benefit is that there is no excuse for people that are unwilling to give mouth-to-mouth to a stranger...

from what I've seen in-house we do a terrible job of even getting "2 minutes" of compressions in. everybody wants to see the rhythm, feel the pulse for a few years, etc. I saw an upper level medicine resident walk into a code (on the floor, mind you) and the first thing she asked for was to get an a line. wtf, lady.

and how did she figure it would get xduced on the floor?

I've never seen the 2 minute thing followed well in house either. The director of our resuscitation dept said that you should do the 2 minutes even after a perfusing rhythm is achieved to help the stunned myocardium. Never seen it done but w/e.

To me the absolute biggest difference maker is getting someone who knows what their doing to do compressions.

and how did she figure it would get xduced on the floor?

I've never seen the 2 minute thing followed well in house either. The director of our resuscitation dept said that you should do the 2 minutes even after a perfusing rhythm is achieved to help the stunned myocardium. Never seen it done but w/e.

To me the absolute biggest difference maker is getting someone who knows what their doing to do compressions.

I have no... idea...

Yes, I believe even the 2007 guidelines suggest continued compressions after defibrillation BEFORE a rhythm/pulse check...