More chem questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffany88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just some more questions I came across during my practice test:

1. Can someone explain the trends in what determines the best and the worst leaving group?

2. What is the difference between electronegativity and electron affinity?

3. What determines acidity? ex. terminal alkyne is more acidic than nonterminal aklyne which is more acidic than alkene?

4. what are linkage, hydrate, and optical isomers?

Members don't see this ad.

Just some more questions I came across during my practice test:

1. Can someone explain the trends in what determines the best and the worst leaving group?

2. What is the difference between electronegativity and electron affinity?

3. What determines acidity? ex. terminal alkyne is more acidic than nonterminal aklyne which is more acidic than alkene?

4. what are linkage, hydrate, and optical isomers?

1)

for SN2 --->best leaving group= I->Br->Cl->F-
best NUCleophile= I->Br->Cl->F-

for SN1 ----> best leaving group= I->Br->Cl->F-
best NUCleophile= NOTHING because they do not affect the rate in SN1 reactions.

2)electronegativity:tendency of one atom to pull electrons towards itself
electron affinity: one atom accepting electrons(the difference is that affinity owns the whole electron BUT electronegativity only pulls it toward itself)

3)alkynes(triple) have a greater pull force than alkenes(double bonds)....>they have more electronegativity. therefore, they pull the electron of hydrogen towards themselve better and stronger than alkenes. therefore the hydrogen sees its electron GONE :. and leaves the compound faster.

NOW imagine any compound that has terminal atom like F, Cl, I, O...this atoms have great electronegativity and therfore pull the only electron of hydrogen and THUS the HYdrogen leaves faster. it's like somebody is stronger and can pull your hands off of your body..you can't do anything...they're the king..

4)optical isomers:R and S
R is clockwise
S is counter clickwise

in order for a compound to have optical isomers, it has to have at least one CHIRAL carbon and 4 different substituents attached to it.

not you prioritize your substituents by their atomic mass and number them. the the numbering goes like 1..2...3 clockwisely it is calles (R)

and vice versa..

hope its not too confusin:cool: