More than one residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just4school

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergrad student doing pre-med reqs, so I have a ways to go before I start thinking about residency.
The other day somebody currently interviewing for residencies told me that when you interview from hospital to hospital once you are done ONLY ONE hospital will accept you, and you must accept that one.

Is this true ?
So she's interviewed all over the States to about 10 or more hospitals so far, but only one will accept her? How do all the hospitals she's interview at come together to make the decision?
Currently my close friend is doing interviews right now, and he's gone to Hawaii all the way to new york, but he never mentioned only one hospital will accept him.

Well, I would just like a little insight as to how the process works for residency, and if it is true that you will only get one acceptance letter, even though you applied to numerous hospitals.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You apply to many programs in your specialty of choice.
Some of these programs will invite you to interview with them.
Go to interviews.
Rank programs you interview at in order of preference
Programs rank all applicants in order of preference
Computer processes these ranks to give you the place that you are going to. It tries to give you the highest ranking program that ranks you high as well.

See ERAS/match subforum under general residency forum for more details on the matching algorithm. It's not as simple as I described, but it's the general idea.

You apply to many programs in your specialty of choice.
Some of these programs will invite you to interview with them.
Go to interviews.
Rank programs you interview at in order of preference
Programs rank all applicants in order of preference
Computer processes these ranks to give you the place that you are going to. It tries to give you the highest ranking program that ranks you high as well.

See ERAS/match subforum under general residency forum for more details on the matching algorithm. It's not as simple as I described, but it's the general idea.

so, in the end yes, you are accepted to one program. The one which you received the highest scores at.

You will be matched at the highest program on your list which didn't have any candidates higher on their list than you are match to them.