Morehouse Vs. Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sephora

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which is a better school? I like Morehouse because of its small class size but it is a very young school comparing to Howard. Any suggestions????:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I feel so stupid but what is HBCU? Anyways, I know howard is extermely unorganzied school but how is the quality of the education comparing to Morehouse??

how about research wise? help the confused sista out!

HBCU = Historically Black College/University

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to choose I would say Morehouse. I would think a smaller class size would be benefitial in getting better grades. But now I am somewhat confused to whether you are male or female. Because of one of your statments

how about research wise? help the confused sista out!

If your female I would say Spellman is good also. Is Morehouse co-ed now? :confused:
Shooto

spellman doesn't have a medical school associated with it as far as i know....also, morehouse's medical school is co-ed unlike their all male undergraduate college.

sephora: i didn't apply to morehouse so i don't know much about it. i have an interview at howard coming up so i'll know more then but i do know people who go there and they are very happy with the education they receive. the admissions dept may be a little unorganized but that doesn't seem to correlate with their academics at all. lol, geez, i don't think i've been much help either now that i think about it....

Class size at Morehouse is Small compared to Howard hence very competitive. The Most imporatnt thing is to do some research and find out which school is best for you.
GOOD LUCk.

P.s What about Meharry?

Originally posted by ready

I know a few Howard Dental students who like it there, but say it is unorganized (have you attended a HBCU before?).

Are you implying that HBCUs tend to be disorganized?

Originally posted by Adcadet
Are you implying that HBCUs tend to be disorganized?

The two comments were separate. As in:
1. I have some friends at Howard they say it's disorganized
2. Have you been to an HBCU before?

I apologize, I should have made that more clear

My suggestion is to go where you feel you will be happiest and learn best. Most of the learning you will do on your own anyways so just go someplace where you feel you can learn your best and be happiest.

Personally though I'd go with Morehouse, just the little that I know about Howard I would not want to attend a school like that. I met several people that went there and weren't thrilled about it. Not to mention a doctor that is 45 years old and still has to have anothe rphysician work with him when he operates because he was unable to pass the boards.

Originally posted by geldrop
Not to mention a doctor that is 45 years old and still has to have anothe rphysician work with him when he operates because he was unable to pass the boards.
Can you elaborate more...it seems like an interesting story....when did he graduate from howard?....why would they let him operate after he flunked.........just wondering.

I would agree with geldrop in that you have to go where you feel that you would learn the best. I interviewed at both schools and would be honored to go to both. However if I had my choice I would rather go to Howard. For me the atmosphere at Howard was just unbelievable. The students and faculty were awesome. I got to sit in on a lecture before my interview at Howard and I thought that the professor was really good. I would also get to be close to home which I wasn't able to do for undergrad. Also, I have not had any bad experiences with the admissions staff at Howard as so many other SDNers have. Although Morehouse responded to me faster after sending off my secondary apps than Howard did. But I think that the schools are equal in terms of quality of education and that any person choosing between the schools just has to decide for themselves what they want to do as a doctor (Part of Morehouse's mission is to produce primary care MDs) and what they want from a medical school.

Originally posted by jaidub
For me the atmosphere at Howard was just unbelievable. The students and faculty were awesome.

I know many graduates of Howard and most of them speak of Howard in the worst of terms. BUT, when I visited the school a few years ago, the atmosphere there was fantastic. There's something special about being around all those black medical students, residents, and faculty that simply put can only be duplicated at an HBCU.

I really can't elaborate on the story much more than that. He was a friend of the family this is probably 30 years ago when he entered howard, his family was wealthy and payed for massive tutoring and he finally got into howard.

He never passed his boards and is currently unlicensed so he has to work with a licensed physician in the room when he operates. I don't know much more than that.

I know a physician that went to morehouse undergrad and I didn't have a favorable impression of him when I met with him for a consultation, but apparently he is one of the best in his field. Anyhow I would argue that it doesn't matter where you go its a matter of what you put into it.

I bet if someone had the motivation they could grab the textbooks for medschools and just learn it all on their own and in fact score first rate on the boards.

I'd choose Howard even though I agree their administration is on crack tus explaining them being sooooo disorganized!! Their med students and dental students love it, and there is so much history compared to Morehouse med schl. There is the name with Howard med schl, many people outside med field, dont even know Morehouse has a med schl.

I've met many Howard med grad students, shoot an internist here in Michigan who is in my epidemiology masters program did, and she's a real smart lady!!
You really CANNOT compare the 2, Howard by far!!!!!!!!!

I have never attended HBCUs before and so I am sure it will be a very different experience for me. I know Howard changed their curriculum to organ based system recently which is very cool. I am not sure how their student match post graduation or how well they do on the USMLE as compare to Morehouse. I guess I need to do some diggin before I reach the final decision

Anyways, thank you all for the helpful inputs. I have a big decision to make and God willing, I will choose the right one for me.