SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

morning sickness

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by canavarim, May 6, 2008.

1. canavarim

canavarim 2+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Hi Guys , please someone help me with this question ... what is the best strategy to deal with pregnancy induced Nausea ?? Do you recommend any meds. like Emetrol and is it safe ??
    I appreciate your answers :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. amy2003uva

amy2003uva Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Ondansetron (Zofran) is the best, hands down. It's pregnancy category B, so completely safe. It also went generic recently so it is also much more cost effective.
  4. Global Disrobal

Global Disrobal Along for the ride Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2002
    You can always employ behavioral changes before progressing to pharmacologic agents. With respect to the latter, Ginger and B6 are good adjuncts to Reglan, Phenergan, and Zofran. A good trick, which I use with my patients, is to give the Reglan per vagina rather than PO.

If pharmacologic agents fail, then you must ensure that another etiology is not in play (thyroid, pancreas, etc). Be cautious with GD Tubes or PICC lines as new prospective data supports long existing retrospective findings confirming high rates of comlication.

Best of luck!
  5. MaddieMay

MaddieMay 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Zofran made me so constipated I thought I was going to die. I would have sworn I was impacted. Only took 2 doses, too. It's one of the listed side effects, but hopefully you won't have the same experience. :luck:
  6. abcabc

abcabc Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Unisom (doxylamine) available over the counter!

It is used in Canada and other parts of the world along with B6 for morning sickness (look up diclectin). It was also available in the US till it was pulled off the market because the company couldn't afford the lawsuits - although there was no evidence that it caused any abnormalities. It is VERY safe and has been used for YEARS. (It used to be bendectin in the US I believe - you can do a google search).

This is after trying ginger, mints, eating small frequent meals, crackers, pretzels, sea-bands etc of course.
  7. Global Disrobal

Global Disrobal Along for the ride Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2002
    To piggy-back on that, there is a new RCT launched in the states looking at Diclectin being run out of UTMB, Magee, MedStar. Hopefully the results will allow the use of this regimen again.