Most comfortable scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

ekimsurfer

Who do you think makes the most comfortable scrubs? Granted many of you have probably never had to buy your own and the hospital scrubs are usually pretty solid, but if you were to buy your own what brand...why? Our surgery interest group is going to be buying scrubs for the members and we're trying to figure out what scrubs are decent. Personally, my favorite set came from a Goodwill that I hit up once...haha...so I was no help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think one factor that makes hospital scrubs comfortable is the fact that they have been washed a billion times...makes the material very soft compared with likely the original material.

That being said, I had task of arranging to get scrubs for our class during anatomy back in my m1 year. In that case we just ordered from a company that would silkscreen so we could put a class logo on it...and eventually those scrubs were tossed after anatomy was over.

As for your original question....i have no clue who actually is the one who manufacturers our scrubs. One idea (if you have the time) is to contact a few area hospitals and figure out where they buy from....and then compare comfort between scrubs at the different hospitals.

good luck.

Why would you ever buy scrubs? Doesn't the hospital provide them for you?

Wearing scrubs outside of the hospital; especially if you have no business wearing them (ie are not a surgeon) just labels you as looking stupid!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you ever buy scrubs? Doesn't the hospital provide them for you?

Wearing scrubs outside of the hospital; especially if you have no business wearing them (ie are not a surgeon) just labels you as looking stupid!

We were going to buy them as a way to represent the group during volunteer clinics and various other events that the SIG participates in in addition to tuturoing in anatomy lab etc. Obviously I'm not talking about buying scrubs to wear to the OR...get ahold of yourself. I wouldn't be posting something so ridiculous and especially not in the SURGERY Forum...Thanks for the heads up...:rolleyes:

i vaguely remember our surgery interest group having to arrange for scrubs for m2s who wanted to shadow surgeons or go on transplant runs. I believe they just sweet talked someone in the department into creating a group pin number for the dispenser -- another option for you, but be wary of people abusing the machine and leaving the account drained of credits...

hehe

Please do NOT buy scrubs for your Surgery Interest Group members.

As tussy says, you will look like losers and there is no need for medical students to have their own pair. Frankly, there is no need for anyone to have their own pair...use those supplied by the hospital.

Then again, if you really want to look like losers, wear the scrubs everywhere you go, maybe even with your white coat and introduce yourself as "Doctor", making sure to correct people who rudely use your first name or call you Mister (unless you are abroad in which case Mister would be cool because it would presume you are a surgeon).:rolleyes:

Ok...maybe I didn't clarify enough. The original post implied that I'm sure any pair of scrubs one of you would have came from some hospital that you were/are at sometime...especially if you are a medical student. The purpose of the scrubs were for the reasons I listed above. Maybe none of you have ever traveled abroad, worked in an underprivileged clinic where you are NOT IN AN OR setting and need to be distinguished from other people...i.e. nurses, patients etc.

Secondly, for being "professionals", you people sure do jump at any chance you have to call someone a loser and point out the "unspoken rules" of scrub wearing and how to be cool as I am sure all of you are...:rolleyes:. Why don't you all pitch in and make a little manual titled "When to wear scrubs - A guide for losers"...then I could buy one and pass it on to everyone else I know that isn't as fortunate to have learned how to conduct yourself while in scrub attire...Thank you to those that at least offered some constructive imput.

Sorry, but I think telling medical students that wearing scrubs in public is stupid IS constructive criticism. Many people get so enamoured of the persona that they don't realize how it is perceived by medical practitioners. If anything, your response to tussy is more unprofessional than us telling you that wearing them in public is lame, IMHO. You're a first year medical student responding with :rolleyes: to a surgical fellow and attending who are trying to give you some advice; if I was curt, I'm sorry...but my post was serious (and posted before you listed the reason you needed the scrubs).

If the scrubs are for working abroad in underprivileged clinics, fine but in most cases there is little need to "distinguish" oneself from other health care workers. And if that were the case, scrubs are the LAST thing (right before the white coat) which distinguishes doctors from allied health care workers.

Frankly, there is no need for anyone to have their own pair...use those supplied by the hospital.

Then again, if you really want to look like losers, wear the scrubs everywhere you go ....

If they really wanted to look like losers, they could get their names and "Future Chairman of Surgery" embroidered on the scrub tops.

Maybe none of you have ever traveled abroad, worked in an underprivileged clinic where you are NOT IN AN OR setting and need to be distinguished from other people...i.e. nurses, patients etc.

Actually, I have worked in an underprivileged clinic. A few of them, in fact.

We wore jeans and t-shirts. The only thing that distinguished us from the patients were the stethoscopes around our necks.

If you "need to be distinguished from other people...i.e. nurses, patients, etc.", then why don't you just wear your white coat? :confused: Does it HAVE to be scrubs?

By the way, at my hospital the janitors, scrub nurses, PT/OT, patient transport, and certain cafeteria staff wear scrubs...so I blend right in with them. Scrubs don't make you stand out as a med student or a doctor.

Why don't you all pitch in and make a little manual titled "When to wear scrubs - A guide for losers"...then I could buy one and pass it on to everyone else I know that isn't as fortunate to have learned how to conduct yourself while in scrub attire...

Such a manual does exist. It is known as your "third year surgery rotation." :laugh:

Secondly, for being "professionals", you people sure do jump at any chance you have to call someone a loser and point out the "unspoken rules" of scrub wearing and how to be cool as I am sure all of you are...:rolleyes:. Why don't you all pitch in and make a little manual titled "When to wear scrubs - A guide for losers"...then I could buy one and pass it on to everyone else I know that isn't as fortunate to have learned how to conduct yourself while in scrub attire...Thank you to those that at least offered some constructive imput.

I was simply pointing out that your scrub wearing will not impress anyone and will probably have the additional effect of making you look a bit silly in the eyes of surgery residents, fellows and attendings.

For most of us scrubs are a practical article of clothing worn for a specific purpose. I change into scrubs in the OR change room before a surgical case and change back into my street clothes at the end of the day. For the rest of the time i wear normal clothing as well as a lab coat. I don't wear scrubs when i round (unless i'm rounding between OR cases), i don't wear them to clinic (a big no no in many places is to wear scrubs to the office), and i don't even wear them to endoscopy (they have special gowns for us to wear in endoscopy to protect our clothing).

I just don't understand it when i see people out on the street wearing scrubs. there is a guy at my gym that works out in scrubs! I think they look ridiculous and i know many others share my opinion.

I simply think it's a mistake for your surgery club to wear scrubs around if you don't have a good reason. Just my opinion is all and trying to give some useful advice.

Who do you think makes the most comfortable scrubs? Granted many of you have probably never had to buy your own and the hospital scrubs are usually pretty solid, but if you were to buy your own what brand...why? Our surgery interest group is going to be buying scrubs for the members and we're trying to figure out what scrubs are decent. Personally, my favorite set came from a Goodwill that I hit up once...haha...so I was no help.

Why waste money on buying scrubs for the members of your interest group? They'll never be able to wear them in the OR (if they're not hospital regulation), and you're just inviting mockery if you wear them in public - as you may have noticed! :laugh:

Besides, a lot of people in the hospital wear scrubs - scrubs do not = surgeon any more. Interventional radiologists, interventional cardiologists, the janitor, and the guy who wheels the patients down to the OR all wear scrubs as well.

If you're going to spend money, why not spend it on something really useful? Trauma shears for your group members is less obtrusive, and something that EVERY med student on a surgery rotation will need! I've heard many surgeons make fun of people for unnecessarily wearing scrubs - but I've NEVER heard a surgeon make fun of med students for carrying trauma shears. (I got a lot of compliments for always having a pair handy during rounds.) If you really wanted to make the trauma shears special, you could get the name of your school and its logo engraved on the handle.

Or, you could just save your money and spend it on sutures for people in your surgery interest group to practice with. That would actually also be pretty useful.

I simply think it's a mistake for your surgery club to wear scrubs around if you don't have a good reason. Just my opinion is all and trying to give some useful advice.

ekimsurfer - listen to tussy and Kimberli Cox, even if what they're saying isn't what you want to hear. They're actual surgeons - and they will be your supervisors and mentors someday. They know when it's appropriate to wear scrubs, and when it is not, and it wouldn't hurt to listen to them.

Besides, if you think they were being harsh, wait until you're in the OR with an overworked general surgeon, and you let the retractor slip....:scared:

I think the trauma shears idea is a great one! Those things are incredibly useful.

When i was a med student we had little mini mag lights that could attach to our stethoscopes with "class of 2001" logo'd on them. I still have mine on my stethoscope and it's extremely useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate people who think scrubs are cool to wear outside of the OR.

I saw some ER residents at a restaurant after work having a few drinks and all wearing scrubs and I had to publicly ridicule and humiliate them. I would have reported them to someone, but they were with their program director so I guess he condoned it.

If my program director saw a resident out of the hospital, god forbid at a restaurant! in scrubs it would be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.

scrubs belong in the OR.

If you want your group to look good, and be taken seriously, scrubs is the LAST thing to do. (As I am sure you have picked up on). I would suggest dressing appropriately and acting professional. Wear a shirt and tie, ladies wear some slacks and a nice, not too low cut shirt. Bleach your white coat and make sure it is clean. Most people in the hospital do not dress professionally. This will make you all stand apart and show your attendings that you are serious about your chosen career.

The trauma shears are a great idea. A good med student will always carry certain things in their pockets: a pair of scissors, some tape, alcohol wipes and maybe some steri strips. Pay attention on rounds and anticipate what might be needed.

And, just to be constructive, here are a few of the unwritten rules. Don't wear scrubs out of the OR (this is the rule at many places). Don't eat in conferences. Don't carry coffee/drinks around with you on rounds. (Even if the attendings/residents are doing it). Don't whine. Don't make fun of other specialties around your residents/attendings, even if they are doing it. (Its one of those things that makes you look stupid because you haven't been around enough to know.) Try to be helpful and interested, without being intrusive. DONT LIE!!! (that will piss us off quicker than anything else!) If you don't know, say you don't and offer to look it up.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps. Just for the record, I love scrubs. They are very comfortable. I have a couple of pair that have been washed a million times and are so soft!! I sleep in them, but they don't EVER go out in public (like to the grocery).

ekimsurfer - listen to tussy and Kimberli Cox, even if what they're saying isn't what you want to hear. They're actual surgeons - and they will be your supervisors and mentors someday. They know when it's appropriate to wear scrubs, and when it is not, and it wouldn't hurt to listen to them.

Besides, if you think they were being harsh, wait until you're in the OR with an overworked general surgeon, and you let the retractor slip....:scared:

I saw some ER residents at a restaurant after work having a few drinks and all wearing scrubs and I had to publicly ridicule and humiliate them. I would have reported them to someone, but they were with their program director so I guess he condoned it.

If my program director saw a resident out of the hospital, god forbid at a restaurant! in scrubs it would be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.

scrubs belong in the OR.

Geez, just let the kid buy some scrubs for his classmates. God forbid they be excited about something that we find to be run of the mill.

I would be willing to bet that AT LEAST 50% (but likely more near 100%) of the people who have chastised ekim's behavior in this thread are guilty of the same or worse when they were med school underclassmen.

Besides, regardless of whether they buy them special, or steal them from the hospital, they will without a doubt wear them out in public, likely disguised under a shallow excuse (too busy to change, etc).

1. Everyone does it.
2. Yes, it's stupid.
3. It will happen anyway.

I remember someone from the clinical forums about a year ago excited for their spouse for getting into med school. They wanted to buy them a very nice doctor's bag as a congratulatory gift. This idea was met with a ridiculous amount of contempt from the enlightened med students of SDN. My point there was: So what the bag won't be used. It's a thoughtful gift.

Geez, just let the kid buy some scrubs for his classmates. God forbid they be excited about something that we find to be run of the mill.

I would be willing to bet that AT LEAST 50% (but likely more near 100%) of the people who have chastised ekim's behavior in this thread are guilty of the same or worse when they were med school underclassmen.

Besides, regardless of whether they buy them special, or steal them from the hospital, they will without a doubt wear them out in public, likely disguised under a shallow excuse (too busy to change, etc).

1. Everyone does it.
2. Yes, it's stupid.

I remember someone from the clinical forums about a year ago excited for their spouse for getting into med school. They wanted to buy them a very nice doctor's bag as a congratulatory gift. This idea was met with a ridiculous amount of contempt from the enlightened med students of SDN. My point there was: So what the bag won't be used. It's a thoughtful gift.

Seriously. Who cares if people wear scrubs? I wear them to the gym on cold days over my shorts because it is quicker than jeans or dress pants, and I did the same thing in medical school. In med school, I would wear scrub pants to class in the winter because they are freaking comfortable, and most days I stayed at school to study. I also didn't think I should have to go home, change into jeans, and then go to the grocery store. Now that I am in the lab, I'll wear scrub pants to work when I know I'm going to be working with the animals. I also still wear them around the house in the winter instead of shorts. I have a dislike for scrub tops, and thus only wear them when I'm at work, but I think the pants are fine to wear in certain situations.

While I think the trauma shear idea is the best one and even a club T-shirt is more practical (I still have mine), I think the scrub idea is funny. Would I wear them outside of anatomy lab? Probably not, but if that is what the club wants to do, c'est la vie. It is funny that we're all taught to do what we think is best and not let the opinions of others sway our decision, yet here many of us are telling this kid not to do something because we will all judge him for it. Interesting...

1. Everyone does it.
2. Yes, it's stupid.

Well, for the record, I don't wear scrubs unless it's absolutely necessary. Then again, I hate, hate, hate wearing scrubs. I don't find them comfortable, and I would rather wear a clean fitted t-shirt and khaki cargo pants in the OR. (Cargo pants are warmer and have actual pockets.)

So, no, I never wore scrubs outside of anatomy lab during my first 2 years of med school.

Besides, I'd have felt weird actually purchasing my own scrubs, and then wearing them in public. To me, it seemed like it would say to everyone "I'm not allowed to actually take regulation scrubs out of the hospital because I'm not a third year student yet....so I was forced to buy my own to fit in. And now I will show them off in public!" It's like buying your own graduation cap and gown, when everyone was given theirs. (Bad analogy, I know, but it's the only thing that came to mind.)

In any case, I stand by my assertion that buying scrubs would be a waste of money, and that the money could be better spent on things like trauma shears, stethoscope lights, ethicon knot-tying boards, sutures to practice with, etc.

Besides, I'd have felt weird actually purchasing my own scrubs, and then wearing them in public.....

In any case, I stand by my assertion that buying scrubs would be a waste of money, and that the money could be better spent on things like trauma shears, stethoscope lights, ethicon knot-tying boards, sutures to practice with, etc.

Well, I'm just playing devil's advocate, but all of the things you mentioned they should buy instead are things that are also considered "nerdy outsider" things to buy, as most clinical students and residents obtain them from the hospital and from drug reps. Ethicon gives most of their knot-tying boards away. As for the sutures, maybe you mean some expired or altered sutures that can be purchased solely for practice, but if you mean regular sutures, that would be a pricey venture.

ps: your comment about a fitted Tee and warm cargo pants put you on the same level as the scrub-wearers in my book......

Well, I'm just playing devil's advocate, but all of the things you mentioned they should buy instead are things that are also considered "nerdy outsider" things to buy, as most clinical students and residents obtain them from the hospital and from drug reps. Ethicon gives most of their knot-tying boards away. As for the sutures, maybe you mean some expired or altered sutures that can be purchased solely for practice, but if you mean regular sutures, that would be a pricey venture.

Expired sutures.

Sure, most people get their trauma shears/stethoscope lights for free. (I did, anyway.) But, like I said, if you're going to get merchandise for members, why scrubs, which are the least practical things to get? Why not get something that's actually useful? Trauma shears and stethoscope lights would also be much less obvious than scrubs, and less likely to invite ridicule from a cranky attending or resident.

ps: your comment about a fitted Tee and warm cargo pants put you on the same level as the scrub-wearers in my book......

Why not just a regular T-shirt? Why does it have to be a fitted tee? My unfitted T-shirts are no looser than my scrub tops.

I'm a girl. My unfitted t-shirts are, basically, not much better than my scrub tops except they're stretchier and look even sloppier. Fitted t-shirts look neater, at least on girls, and wouldn't get in the way. And, in any case, that's what I hate about scrub tops - they fit oddly and aren't very comfortable.

As for the warm cargo pants - doesn't anyone else find parts of the hospital cold? :confused:

I'm a girl. My unfitted t-shirts are, basically, not much better than my scrub tops except they're stretchier and look even sloppier. Fitted t-shirts look neater, at least on girls, and wouldn't get in the way. And, in any case, that's what I hate about scrub tops - they fit oddly and aren't very comfortable.

What about the surgical gown you'd be wearing (since you were talking about what you'd rather wear in the OR)? Wouldn't that keep your "sloppy t-shirt" out of the way?

I think SLUser's point was there is a bit of vanity that goes into wearing fitted t-shirts (even if it is simply not wanting to look dumpy), which is exactly what everyone criticizing the OP was against; the argument seemed to be that you are or appear to be showing off if you wear scrubs in public.

P.S. I really don't care if you wear a fitted t-shirt and only continue to keep running with this because I'm waiting for a gel to finish and think it's funny how people try to rationalize things (which has actually been my interest in this thread from the beginning). I don't have anything against you or your fashion sense.

What about the surgical gown you'd be wearing (since you were talking about what you'd rather wear in the OR)? Wouldn't that keep your "sloppy t-shirt" out of the way?

It would - but do you wear a surgical gown the entire time in the OR? What about when prepping a patient? What about when you help set up the patient before anesthesia takes over? What about when you scrub in?

I think SLUser's point was there is a bit of vanity that goes into wearing fitted t-shirts (even if it is simply not wanting to look dumpy), which is exactly what everyone criticizing the OP were against; the argument seemed to be that you are or appear to be showing off if you wear scrubs in public.

Hmm. You do make a good point that both are indulging in a bit of vanity. But I think that there is still a sizable difference in the vanity that leads someone to wear attractive clothing, and the vanity that leads a first year med student to wear scrubs in public.

At the very least, wearing clothing that doesn't make you look dumpy doesn't say anything about your status - you blend in, and could be a cashier, a waitress, a student, or, well, anything.

But scrubs practically scream to the world that you are a doctor, particularly that you are a surgeon. Which, since you haven't actually gotten the training (or survived the training) that distinguishes surgeons/physicians, it's a little...funny. Not to mention possibly misleading.

True, they're both types of vanity, but I don't think that they're equivalent. Do you?

P.S. I really don't care if you wear a fitted t-shirt and only continue to keep running with this because I'm waiting for a gel to finish and think it's funny how people try to rationalize things (which has actually been my interest in this thread from the beginning). I don't have anything against you or your fashion sense.

:laugh: Good to know. I'm on internal med, waiting for the rest of the team to show up so we can run the list (for the third time today). That's also why I keep this thread running.

It would - but do you wear a surgical gown the entire time in the OR? What about when prepping a patient? What about when you help set up the patient before anesthesia takes over? What about when you scrub in?

Maybe it's just me, but my t-shirt has never been in my way while writing orders, talking with a patient, prepping a patient or scrubbing (and, yes, I've done all in a t-shirt, as I take off my scrub top at night in the ICU because I hate it so much, so I've moved patients and scrubbed for line placements wearing a t-shirt).

Never thought I'd be agreeing w SLUser...but...guess there's a first time for everything ;).

I mean, seriously, people, I don't see the crime in wanting to buy scrubs for their surgery interest group - what's the difference b/w having scrubs vs. having a club t-shirt? In med school my class bought scrubs that were similar to the ones at the hospital, but we also had green-and-orange Hurricanes scrubs that I wore every chance I got. If these kids want to buy scrubs for their surgery interest group - I honestly can't see why anyone would "frown on" or look down on them for doing so.

And as a side note....maybe the culture in my institution is a little more relaxed, but unless it's a clinic day most of us put on scrubs in the morning and wear them all day (in the or and out), then wear them home. If it's a Thursday night, we'll all roll into the local bar in scrubs straight from work - and EVERYBODY (nurses, resp. therapists, etc) does this, not just the surgery residents. Most of the local watering holes are packed with be-scrubbed folks after six pm on Thursday/Friday nights. I don't see it as trying to attract attention or anything - but I'm certainly not packing a change of clothes just for the walk home.

One intern did catch some heat once for walking into the bar with scrubs and his WHITE COAT on, though...:D

If you have your heart set on purchasing scrubs then head on over to your local uniform shop and look at a few of the brands there. There is wide variety in materials and sizes. When you figure out what brand you like, I am sure the shop will be happy to make a bulk purchase for you. I agree with the person who said that hundreds of washings in that heavy industrial detergent that hospitals use, probably makes scrubs most comfortable. Good fit is also a key to comfort.

As others have said, scrubs are not the best street or gym attire. I can't imagine working out in anything that doesn't "wick" sweat (scrubs get wet and stay wet). I see loads of ER residents in khakis and scrub tops and some in jeans and scrub tops with a lab coat. I guess it's a fashion statement.

I have a couple of old scrub pants that are cut off that I use as pjs (just like I use my fiancé's boxers too) but they are not street attire. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other in terms of medical students wearing scrubs on the street as long as they are not coming into my OR from the street (not clean).

We don't wear scrubs in the clinic (only takes a couple of minutes to change) and we generally don't round in scrubs (unless post-call).

Ew - wearing dirty scrubs home? Maybe i'm biased because i'm doing colorectal surgery. My scrubs come off in the OR change room because i don't want to wear someone else's blood and poo any longer than i have to!!!

Maybe it's just me, but my t-shirt has never been in my way while writing orders, talking with a patient, prepping a patient or scrubbing (and, yes, I've done all in a t-shirt, as I take off my scrub top at night in the ICU because I hate it so much, so I've moved patients and scrubbed for line placements wearing a t-shirt).

It could just be that I wear very "blousy" scrub tops. I don't know why, but I feel like I always have to be so conscious about where the front of my scrub tops are dragging.

Or the scrub tops with the plunging neck lines. Wtf?

I was making a movie once where we needed some prisoner uniforms and so we called the jail to see where we could get some of those bright orange jump suits you always see prisoners wearing. Turns out the prisoners actually make them. We found where to order them and they make bright orange scrubs too. So even prisoners wear scrubs. I fail to see our wearing scrubs in public would cause people to mistake you for a doctor since so many people where them. Where I am at if you see someone on the street in scrubs they're probably a dental student. We ordered some of the bright orange scrubs for ourselves just cause no one else had them. They were dirt cheap and comfortable. Maybe your club could use those.

Hang on a sec. There's a HUGE difference between buying scrubs to wear as an MS-I, and liking to wear properly fitting T-shirts.

My $0.02.

As many have said I wouldn't wear scrubs outside of the hospital or to any clinic. However, having a pair of scrubs as a med student is not a bad idea for your EM rotation, and to change into in during call on your primary care rotations.

I had a pair of Dickie (SP?) scrubs that were okay.

I never had any idea this was such a contentious issue. Anyway, Dickies sandwashed are, imo, the most comfortable scrubs.

Was studing for absite today at a local coffee shop, and it was lunch time so I walked over to Quiznos. Not only did I see to two docs in there (one in scrubs). Both were wearing white coats! Now I must admit, I've grabbed takeout in the past in scrubs. But these two where sitting down in Quiznos eating in there white coats. One was wearing OR scrubs under his coat, and the other jeans and a rugby jersey. Pretty sure they were both attendings too. I was embarassed for them. Guess they couldn't leave them at work or in the car.

Furthermore would any of you wear jeans, a rugby shirt, and a white coat to work? During the day? I mean I could almost understand if it was the weekend or in the middle of the night and you were coming from home, but still.

Was studing for absite today at a local coffee shop, and it was lunch time so I walked over to Quiznos. Not only did I see to two docs in there (one in scrubs). Both were wearing white coats! Now I must admit, I've grabbed takeout in the past in scrubs. But these two where sitting down in Quiznos eating in there white coats. One was wearing OR scrubs under his coat, and the other jeans and a rugby jersey. Pretty sure they were both attendings too. I was embarassed for them. Guess they couldn't leave them at work or in the car.

Furthermore would any of you wear jeans, a rugby shirt, and a white coat to work? During the day? I mean I could almost understand if it was the weekend or in the middle of the night and you were coming from home, but still.

Musta been EM or FP!:laugh:

I just wanted to confess to you guys that I wore scrubs to the grocery store today on my way home from work.

Can I still post here, or will I get banned by the surgery fashion police?

I just wanted to confess to you guys that I wore scrubs to the grocery store today on my way home from work.

Can I still post here, or will I get banned by the surgery fashion police?

Just a warning, and don't do it again.:smuggrin:

NB: it is ok, IMHO, to wear scrubs home from work and running a quick errand. We've all done it and its pretty much unavoidable unless you are one of those IC drones that insists on new scrubs between each case, whenever you go outside, etc.

Its the wearing of the scrubs out to clubs, restaurants (ie, not places across the street from the hospital where you run in to get a sandwich or even have a bite after work), the gym, etc. that I find objectionable.

Winged Scapula? Did Kimberli change her name? You cutting some long thoracic nerves Kimberli??? Might not be a good image to have as a breast surgeon!! hahahaha

One was wearing OR scrubs under his coat, and the other jeans and a rugby jersey. Pretty sure they were both attendings too. I was embarassed for them. Guess they couldn't leave them at work or in the car.

Furthermore would any of you wear jeans, a rugby shirt, and a white coat to work?

It could be called a lab resident. That is pretty much my attire (sans the white coat) every day. I find it humorous (and only slightly pretentious, moreso if they actually were attendings) that you were embarrassed for them. I'm sure that, had they cared, they would have changed. Are you telling me you are so conscious of your white coat that you always remember when you have it on? Personally, I know I have forgotten my white coat was under my winter coat and ended up wearing it into the store after work. Sounds like you have a complex about what you are wearing (not unlike the good ol' Catholic guilt) just like everyone else is pushing on people who like to wear their scrubs in public...:rolleyes:

I never take my white coat home. It's best left in the surgical locker room at the end of the day. Pick it up in the morning when I change into my scrubs prior to rounding. Otherwise, I consider it a disgusting fomite that I don't want in my car or house.

I never take my white coat home. It's best left in the surgical locker room at the end of the day. Pick it up in the morning when I change into my scrubs prior to rounding. Otherwise, I consider it a disgusting fomite that I don't want in my car or house.

Ours aren't laundered at the hospital, so we have to take them home to clean them. I also have one I keep pressed for grand rounds that I keep at home. I also have one I wear while moonlighting that I can't leave at the hospital because I don't have a locker there.

Winged Scapula? Did Kimberli change her name?

Yeah...after much thought I decided to hide my identity somewhat from patients who might Google me. I am not going whole hog (ie, changing my sig, or removing my picture) and expect that everyone here will know who I am. But having less visibility will deter most patients (as if they wanted to read through all most posts here) as well as the weirdos who have been recently engaging in some inappropriate behavior with SDN staff.

I have long prided myself on being open about my identity and location, I'm sure to other's chagrin. However, I think the time has come to be less so...we'll see how long it lasts.

You cutting some long thoracic nerves Kimberli??? Might not be a good image to have as a breast surgeon!! hahahaha

Nah, not yet. It was either winged scapula or Mrs. Barry Zlatsko (or Diana Prince suggested by some comic book nerds), and I liked the former, even if I hope to never see one in a patient of mine.:D

It could be called a lab resident. That is pretty much my attire (sans the white coat) every day. I find it humorous (and only slightly pretentious, moreso if they actually were attendings) that you were embarrassed for them. I'm sure that, had they cared, they would have changed. Are you telling me you are so conscious of your white coat that you always remember when you have it on? Personally, I know I have forgotten my white coat was under my winter coat and ended up wearing it into the store after work. Sounds like you have a complex about what you are wearing (not unlike the good ol' Catholic guilt) just like everyone else is pushing on people who like to wear their scrubs in public...:rolleyes:

As a group of professionals, doctors are expected, by peers and the community, to act in a professional manner. Part of begin professional is dressing professionally. Unless you’re a cowboy, jeans don’t cut it. When in public wearing scrubs is not professional, and as such inappropriate, but often excusable. Typically these are brief appearance on the way two and from work. Wearing your white coat in public is just corny. You really can’t remember you are wearing it Socialist MD? Do you tend to miss place lap pads and retractors too? While wearing your white coat out is corny, doing so with street clothes on (jeans) is really unacceptable. I think it does reflect badly on to others. At least with scrubs people may assume you’re a tech or nurse. Do attendings routinely wear casual clothes to work wear you are?

In this day and age, someone with a long white coat could be anyone from an attending physician to a lab tech or nurse.

I recently saw a janitor mopping the floor by the hospital lobby, wearing scrubs, and OR cap and white coat. And he was a janitor because i did a double take and acutlaly looked at his ID card!!!

scrubs belong in the OR.
Are you talking about the basic v-neck scrub top and the scrub pants? Then what is the problem with that? You could wear scrubs that aren't your hospital scrubs, also.