Most comfortable scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously. Who cares if people wear scrubs? I wear them to the gym on cold days over my shorts because it is quicker than jeans or dress pants, and I did the same thing in medical school. In med school, I would wear scrub pants to class in the winter because they are freaking comfortable, and most days I stayed at school to study. I also didn't think I should have to go home, change into jeans, and then go to the grocery store. Now that I am in the lab, I'll wear scrub pants to work when I know I'm going to be working with the animals. I also still wear them around the house in the winter instead of shorts. I have a dislike for scrub tops, and thus only wear them when I'm at work, but I think the pants are fine to wear in certain situations.

While I think the trauma shear idea is the best one and even a club T-shirt is more practical (I still have mine), I think the scrub idea is funny. Would I wear them outside of anatomy lab? Probably not, but if that is what the club wants to do, c'est la vie. It is funny that we're all taught to do what we think is best and not let the opinions of others sway our decision, yet here many of us are telling this kid not to do something because we will all judge him for it. Interesting...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm a sophomore in high school and I wear scrub tops to school all the time (hospital blue or hospital green)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about the basic v-neck scrub top and the scrub pants? Then what is the problem with that? You could wear scrubs that aren't your hospital scrubs, also.

Would YOU wear pajamas when you eat out at restaurants? Because that's basically what scrubs are - uncomfortable, sometimes slightly unhygeneic pajamas.

I'm a sophomore in high school and I wear scrub tops to school all the time (hospital blue or hospital green)

Please, oh please, I hope you're joking.

I'm telling you guys, this kid is the greatest troll ever with the most elaborate stories. :thumbup:, kid. :thumbup:.

I dunno...seems legit (have you seen his website/blog?)

Anyway, Cheisu...please do not wear scrubs to school. None of us did it.

They aren't cool, they never were and I'll bet your classmates make fun of you for doing it.

Don't be that guy. Please.

Would YOU wear pajamas when you eat out at restaurants? Because that's basically what scrubs are - uncomfortable, sometimes slightly unhygeneic pajamas.

Please, oh please, I hope you're joking.

Uncomfortable? You must be wearing them wrong! I find them extremely comfortable as do most people, hence the popularity.

Unhygienic? I suppose, but I'll bet his are brand new so they're as clean as any other piece of clothing on a 16 yo boy can be! ;)

I would say they are at least slightly unattractive...especially on women.

Uncomfortable? You must be wearing them wrong! I find them extremely comfortable as do most people, hence the popularity.

The scrub pants aren't so uncomfortable, but I HATE the scrub tops! They don't quite stretch the right way when I need to scratch my back or shoulder. They're, basically, like pillowcases with holes cut in them for the neck and the arms.

I would say they are at least slightly unattractive...especially on women.

I don't think that scrubs look so bad on thin, young guys. (Overweight, or even extremely muscular guys, though, are a different story.) But I agree that they make women look pretty unattractive. As one of the guys on my surgery rotation said, "Even Gisele would look fugly if she had to wear bright green scrubs and one of those bouffant caps...." I'm not sure if I was supposed to feel consoled or slightly insulted by that comment. ;)

First of all, where did you get the scrubs?? Goodwill? Stolen?

Are you seriously just wearing the tops?? (I assume you have some kind of pants on) Where I come from, only ER physicians wear scrub tops with some other kind of bottoms (usually khakis, that are too short, with a belt and the shirt tucked in. There is also usually some t-shirt on underneath the scrub top and their name embroidered over the pocket).

Please, please, please, for the love of all that is holy stop doing this! You will never get laid if you keep it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you seriously just wearing the tops?? (I assume you have some kind of pants on)

I think that we all hope and pray that he's going to school with pants on. Otherwise, he's got more problems than his love for any surgery that involves a large incision and a fair amount of blood.

Please, please, please, for the love of all that is holy stop doing this! You will never get laid if you keep it up.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5846819&postcount=58

Never getting laid is evidently not a problem for him. (Before you say anthing, I agree that he'll be singing a very different tune in about 5 years. :laugh:)

Cheisu - Please, don't wear scrub tops to school. You'll look weirder than the white guys who insist on wearing dreadlocks and scruffy Bob Marley and Grateful Dead t-shirts. As DoctorMunchkin pointed out, the only people who wear only scrub tops in public are emergency medicine doctors (surgeons definitely don't do this). Even dentists don't do that. Please, please, just wear regular t-shirts.

IF she wasn't with Tom Brady, you'd stand a chance right?;)

Hey, I've never lost a Super Bowl. I'm just saying...

Anyway, I bet Gisele would look fine in scrubs. I've noticed they can accentuate certain assets when worn properly (and actually create a misleading picture in some cases), particularly the bottoms.

In this day and age, someone with a long white coat could be anyone from an attending physician to a lab tech or nurse.

or the janitor.. ive seen that.. Actually ive seen the janitor diagnose tension pneumo.. During a code the guy was mopping the floor. I was at my wits end and this black dude with a long white coard . Scruffy as all hell. mopping the floor whispered in my ear. Maybe its a tension pneumo. did you ever think of that. I tool a 16 g angio cath plunged it into the patients chest. and voila.. sats and bp got better and nsr was restored. He looked at me and winked and went about his merry way with his mop.. true story..

or the janitor.. ive seen that.. Actually ive seen the janitor diagnose tension pneumo.. During a code the guy was mopping the floor. I was at my wits end and this black dude with a long white coard . Scruffy as all hell. mopping the floor whispered in my ear. Maybe its a tension pneumo. did you ever think of that. I tool a 16 g angio cath plunged it into the patients chest. and voila.. sats and bp got better and nsr was restored. He looked at me and winked and went about his merry way with his mop.. true story..

I had a similar story where i was the PGY1 and couldn't figure out what was wrong and a orderly gave me the answer i was looking for. I tracked him down later to find that he had been a internist in his home country and was trying to retrain here. Bet the janitor was the same.

I've noticed they can accentuate certain assets when worn properly (and actually create a misleading picture in some cases), particularly the bottoms.

I think tight scrub bottoms and thongs are a perfect combo... for the ladies of course. We have quite a few who wear tight bottoms on purpose, or so it seems. maybe inappropriate, but it breaks up the monotony!:rolleyes:

I think tight scrub bottoms and thongs are a perfect combo... for the ladies of course. We have quite a few who wear tight bottoms on purpose, or so it seems. maybe inappropriate, but it breaks up the monotony!:rolleyes:

Especially when they wear thongs to work. Ho-bags... :smuggrin:

I've seen my fair share of thongs here (usually paired with fitted scrub bottoms) - more on PTs and nurses than residents or med students though.

I've seen my fair share of thongs here (usually paired with fitted scrub bottoms) - more on PTs and nurses than residents or med students though.

how do you know they are wearing thongs? most thongs don't have a pantyline and most scrubs are not white/see thru? oh, maybe the female wearing them had a flat bottom and so you see them...confused. i am a female btw so i was just wondering.

how do you know they are wearing thongs? most thongs don't have a pantyline and most scrubs are not white/see thru? oh, maybe the female wearing them had a flat bottom and so you see them...confused. i am a female btw so i was just wondering.

Well, when said female is wearing a thong and scrub pants, when they bend over to pick something up (for example if I dropped my pen or something accidentally), the thong peeks out. Women don't realize this for whatever reason, but when they bend over usually their under-garment (or lack thereof) is flashing the whole world. It's sometimes really awesome! :thumbup:

Well, when said female is wearing a thong and scrub pants, when they bend over to pick something up (for example if I dropped my pen or something accidentally), the thong peeks out. Women don't realize this for whatever reason, but when they bend over usually their under-garment (or lack thereof) is flashing the whole world. It's sometimes really awesome! :thumbup:

oh geez. well said female should inquire at her upscale dept. store for special thongs that are used for low rise pants.... i would tell you to mention that to the female but i think you really don't care to. btw, i don't know why a female would want to wear tight scrubs at work they are so uncomfortable!

Its the low rise issue.

As a matter of fact, our office staff wears scrubs and I know several of the girls wear thongs because I can see them when the bend over or if their shirt rides up when sitting down.

Unlike the guys, I don't like seeing that and I'd venture our patients don't either. Thank goodness I have my long coat to protect me!

i would tell you to mention that to the female but i think you really don't care to.

Well, as a man I can't. What am I gonna say?

"Oh, by the way, I saw your *** crack the other day and while I think it's really, really nice, I think you should cover it up."

"So while I was being a complete perv and staring at your butt all day, I couldn't help but notice you didn't wear underwear. Can I fix your washing machine for you?"

"You should head over to Bloomies. My lady friends tell me they have low-ride thongs for sale! 50% off! Can you believe that? As if?!"

"I am homosexual. If you were a dude, I'd say 'cool.' But since you're a chick, and I don't dig chicks, then I think you should wear underwear, yo."

"I see London, I see France..."

Well, as a man I can't. What am I gonna say?

"Oh, by the way, I saw your *** crack the other day and while I think it's really, really nice, I think you should cover it up."

"So while I was being a complete perv and staring at your butt all day, I couldn't help but notice you didn't wear underwear. Can I fix your washing machine for you?"

"You should head over to Bloomies. My lady friends tell me they have low-ride thongs for sale! 50% off! Can you believe that? As if?!"

"I am homosexual. If you were a dude, I'd say 'cool.' But since you're a chick, and I don't dig chicks, then I think you should wear underwear, yo."

"I see London, I see France..."

I wish I was there to see you say this btw. However, I can see the chick who took it upon herself to wear the tight *** scrubs and thongs to get offended by your comments. She would then file a complaint against you....

speaking of tight *** scrubs, i have yet to see a man wear such a thing. i would be grossed out. the only men in tights i like to see are the football players :love:

I wish I was there to see you say this btw. However, I can see the chick who took it upon herself to wear the tight *** scrubs and thongs to get offended by your comments. She would then file a complaint against you....

Exactly. In today's ultra-feel-good, everyone's-an-equal kind of world, the big, bad surgeon man who says ANYTHING about a woman's body is gonna get the shiznit jizzed all over him. And then he'll be on CNN.

"PERVERT DOC AN EXPERT IN THONGOLOGY!"

well, if i was to see the thong i would say something. i would casually pull her aside and let her know her thong is showing and educate her on the low rise thong thing. she can't file a complaint against me, but she might try to get crunk with me. i will have to get crunk right back though. if she is receptive though i will then ask her about the tight *** scrubs. but one thing at a time.

this sort of "behavior" is rampant amongst PT/OT, etc in most hospitals. Although I think this sort of thing is probably unprofessional, it really doesn't offend me in the least. Shake what your momma gave ya. :D

speaking of tight *** scrubs, i have yet to see a man wear such a thing. i would be grossed out. the only men in tights i like to see are the football players :love:

Oh, I've seen guys do it. Luckly, the ones I've seen do it are pretty built. Except this one guy who probably used to be pretty built, but is now ... well ... like sixty.

Anka

this sort of "behavior" is rampant amongst PT/OT, etc in most hospitals. Although I think this sort of thing is probably unprofessional, it really doesn't offend me in the least. Shake what your momma gave ya. :D

The majority of the ancillary staff at my hospital wear white scrub tops and pants. Their administration absolutely will discipline them if they were anything but white under garments. But lemme tell you... I've seen more than my share of these chicks wearing lacy white things underneath... Lacy black things... Thongs... It's friggin' great!

Then there was the one chick who routinely goes al fresco and inadvertently admitted to it in a room full of Trauma Surgery residents. When she realized what she had done, she turned red... All over! :thumbup:

The majority of the ancillary staff at my hospital wear white scrub tops and pants. Their administration absolutely will discipline them if they were anything but white under garments. But lemme tell you... I've seen more than my share of these chicks wearing lacy white things underneath... Lacy black things... Thongs... It's friggin' great!

Then there was the one chick who routinely goes al fresco and inadvertently admitted to it in a room full of Trauma Surgery residents. When she realized what she had done, she turned red... All over! :thumbup:

Be tough to concentrate at work...

Great story!

Be tough to concentrate at work...

Especially all that blood rushing to the wrong places to think... Or, well, think intellectually rather.

Better not go into the pool! You just might drown from a muscle cramp!

Was studing for absite today at a local coffee shop, and it was lunch time so I walked over to Quiznos. Not only did I see to two docs in there (one in scrubs). Both were wearing white coats! Now I must admit, I've grabbed takeout in the past in scrubs. But these two where sitting down in Quiznos eating in there white coats. One was wearing OR scrubs under his coat, and the other jeans and a rugby jersey. Pretty sure they were both attendings too. I was embarassed for them. Guess they couldn't leave them at work or in the car.

Furthermore would any of you wear jeans, a rugby shirt, and a white coat to work? During the day? I mean I could almost understand if it was the weekend or in the middle of the night and you were coming from home, but still.

I read mention of this thread in another thread, sorry to resurect but I saw this and feel the need to chime in.

As a fourth year, I saw one of my attendings at the grocery store (ER guy) in Scrubs a white coat and...wait for it....a stethescope around his neck. Shocking. Im not sure how you fit that much douche bag into a single grocery store. Had a whole cart of groceries too...there is no way this guy was without his car and had no-where to put his stuff.

And since Im typing. Who are these people that wear scrubs into the OR but change to round etc? where do you get that much time? Jesus just wear scrubs all day. I'm also morally opposed to a shirt and Tie at work which brings much anger my way from select attendings however, you gotta pick your battles and thats mine. Maybe I'll start another thread about this but:

Why the hell do you need to wear a tie? Because its expected? In victorian England Powdered Wigs were profesional and expected at one time till someone said "this is ******ed" Whats the difference? Let me get this straight...Im going to tie a useless strip of cloth around my neck and walk around with it all day? What?

Too much cofee this AM

And since Im typing. Who are these people that wear scrubs into the OR but change to round etc? where do you get that much time? Jesus just wear scrubs all day.

One of my Vascular attendings (in residency) would change scrubs between each case and of course, change back into his stiff white shirt and tie before seeing patients in the clinic or on rounds. That guy must have changed clothes 5 times a day.

Of course, he tried to force the residents to do the same and sometimes we found ourselves wondering if it was worth it if we lied to him about changing and gettinv caught (ie, if you had a distinguishing stain or imprint on your pair that he would recognize).

Where I went to medical school it was expected that we round in shirt and tie and wear a shirt and tie to the clinic. No scrubs in clinic ever. Sometimes thiswould get tricky as a student trying to help/watch in the OR and also get some face time in the clinic. I did a lot of clothes changing on that rotation.

I seem to recall hearing that Duke residents aren't allowed to wear scrubs out of the OR area. I.e. no scrubs anywhere but the OR's. Anyone else hear this?

Where I went to medical school it was expected that we round in shirt and tie and wear a shirt and tie to the clinic. No scrubs in clinic ever. Sometimes thiswould get tricky as a student trying to help/watch in the OR and also get some face time in the clinic. I did a lot of clothes changing on that rotation.

I seem to recall hearing that Duke residents aren't allowed to wear scrubs out of the OR area. I.e. no scrubs anywhere but the OR's. Anyone else hear this?
I wonder if that is Mayo?

That was true for us as well. We could only go to Trauma Clinic in scrubs; otherwise dress clothes. In the old days of my program we weren't allowed to round in scrubs or be seen outside of the OR in them either, but the new Chair relaxed things a bit.

True. I have a friend who is finishing up his PRS residency there. And he complained bitterly about having to change out of his scrubs and walk between hospitals in the humid summer heat in his dress clothes and coat.

I wonder if that is Mayo?

I'm way too dumb to have gone to Mayo for medical school. Plus, depending which of their hospitals you're at, they don't even wear white coats. Just a sports coat. That's a super PITA. Could you imagine having to buy that type of wardrode on a residents salary?

I can tell you for a fact Louisville requires professional attire outside of the OR, at least when Polk was there.

Attendings from the Mayo always insist on their residents changing out of their scrubs when not in the OR.

But dressing up for clinic (everywhere besides at the county hospital) is a given here.