Most "desired" specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Most "desired" specialty

• Anesthesiology

Votes: 88 8.8%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 207 20.8%
  • Emergency Medicine

Votes: 142 14.2%
  • ENT

Votes: 36 3.6%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 35 3.5%
  • General Surgery (or Subspecialty)

Votes: 78 7.8%
  • Internal Medicine (or Subspecialty)

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Neurosurgery

Votes: 86 8.6%
  • Obstetrics/Gynecology

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 65 6.5%
  • Orthopaedic Surgery

Votes: 144 14.4%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 68 6.8%
  • Plastic Surgery

Votes: 119 11.9%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Radiology

Votes: 133 13.3%

• Total voters

bghs11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A group of my friends and I (all guys) were each claiming that our specialties would make us the most "attractive" to the female persuasion. So we decided to put this question to all the ladies out there: factoring in lifestyle, personality, compensation, work hours, etc., which specialty would you most want your boyfriend/husband to be in and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for someone who's NOT in one of those ultra competitive specialities. I don't want to feel like I'm competing with him for the rest of my life. But if he is in derm or ENT, I just don't want to feel like I'm somehow "lower" than him by choosing not to go that route. I guess it comes down to his personality; I just want to feel like his equal, even if I'm not the chair of the dept and he is.

But that's my perspective as a med student. To any ordinary girl, just the mere fact of telling her that you're a doctor, she'll go crazy.

To the layman/woman, I doubt any of the real competitive residencies will seem that attractive.

Optho: "Optometrist? So... can you get me some contacts for cheap... What? Ophthalmologist? Oh eye doctor? What you can't handle the whole body?"

Derm: "So you don't really save lives do you? You just treat acne."

Rads: "So you take X-rays all day? My cousin went to community college and he does the same thing.. you two should talk"

Ortho: "So you'll be home only once every other week for dinner?"

Most people don't really understand what kind of work doctors do in each specialty. Just say your a doctor and I think you'll be golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
UT_mikie said:

My advisor picked ortho over CT because his wife didn't like the idea of the CT lifestyle.

I have my doubts about "I'm a doctor" cache. Seems like women know to translate that to, "I'm obsessed with my work and I'll never be home. Oh, and by the way, odds are we'll get divorced."

Not a surgeon thats for sure. You would never see him. Not the really competive ones either b/c you tend to assume they had to be a gunner to get there. Not that every dermatologist was a gunner but if we're making generalizations. I think I would find a pediatrician attractive because every girl likes a guy who is good with kids and probably emergency because the personality type suits mine.

I think you should add cardiology to that list.

Well if Nip/Tuck is any indication, plastic surgery is the way to go for all of us guys......haha.

Ohhhhhhhh, Dr. Troy, what a character

I think if you tell a girl you are an ED physician, you'll be in like flint. Most lay people have this romantic image of EP's saving Timmy's leg after being hit by a drunk driver or delivering babies in the taxi cab in the ambulance bay. To her you are the navy seal/special forces person of the medical world. :D

Perrin said:
I think if you tell a girl you are an ED physician, you'll be in like flint. Most lay people have this romantic image of EP's saving Timmy's leg after being hit by a drunk driver or delivering babies in the taxi cab in the ambulance bay. To her you are the navy seal/special forces person of the medical world. :D
To her..you are...in fact...George Clooney.

I'm going to have to go with Psychiatry here....

...c'mon, who can resist a Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting

in fact, i'm going into it for the chics...maybe child and adolescent

I'm going to have to go with Psychiatry here....

...c'mon, who can resist a Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting

in fact, i'm going into it for the chics...maybe child and adolescent

psyche :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

but i still might go into it

seriously though, i think neurosurgeon would definitely win for your lay person. they know what makes the mulah.....c'mon, Dr. Drake Ramorez (friends)...who could resist

bghs11 said:
A group of my friends and I (all guys) were each claiming that our specialties would make us the most "attractive" to the female persuasion. So we decided to put this question to all the ladies out there: factoring in lifestyle, personality, compensation, work hours, etc., which specialty would you most want your boyfriend/husband to be in and why?
I've had a number of women suggest I should go into plastics, because by the time I was practicing they were going to "need some upgrades". :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think orthopedic surgeons are hot. They're so...physical... :love: :laugh:

Brain surgeons, psychiatrists-definitely not hot.

ER docs are hot, but they aren't as hot as paramedics.

For my wife id have her do whatever had her working the most hours. She gets on my nerves sometimes and the only thing I can do to stop my self for shaking the life out of her is to send her off to her mothers house two states over for a week or so.

i think it depends on what you're packing down south, if u know what i mean

packin a lot...u can get by as an fp

packin a little....must be a surgeon

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yposhelley said:

Brain surgeons, psychiatrists-definitely not hot.

ER docs are hot, but they aren't as hot as paramedics.

what about forensic psychiatrists? :smuggrin: :laugh:

beary said:
Pathologists!! They're not even on your poll. :(

What can we say? Pathology is just not sexy. :p It's a great field in other respects, but we're rating sexiness here!

With a sample size of 112, my initial thoughts have been confirmed...

Ob/Gyn can be thought of as the antithesis of a chick magnet specialty, with a sum total of ZERO votes. :laugh: ;)

Sureshot83 said:
Well if Nip/Tuck is any indication, plastic surgery is the way to go for all of us guys......haha.

Ohhhhhhhh, Dr. Troy, what a character
I have to agree with this one, at least if the girl isn't hot you could always fix her up with a little nip/tuck.

So I am a female med student, and my number one factor would be a guy who is NOT a doctor. I want to be the one in the relationship, saving lives with my super-cool EM job...and no guy is going to take my sunshine. :p More seriously though...doctors are super-intense, competetive, workaholics (horribly sterotyping there, but you know its true). I have enough of that through myself...I don't need someone adding to that when I go home. I need someone to keep me sain and keep my perspective on life. Also, I need someone to be home with the kids when I'm working the night shift...or take them to school when I'm recovering from a night shift. :)

You're probably better off asking this question on a non-doctor forum (assuming you are not looking to date/marry a doctor)

I'm shocked that Ob/Gyn didn't get any votes! :laugh:

Long Dong said:
I have to agree with this one, at least if the girl isn't hot you could always fix her up with a little nip/tuck.

I disagree. I personally find plastic surgeons to be really creepy. I get the impression that they hoed out for the money and are shallow people. I'm sure thats not the case for all of them-but just as a generalization, plastic docs are not hot.

Hey I'll tell you what the hottest physician is for any girl--a cute young DO who knows how to do OMM. :love: Work it.

bghs11 said:

If you don't get laid now, you're probably not gonna be getting laid as a doctor either

don juan said:
If you don't get laid now, you're probably not gonna be getting laid as a doctor either

Oh, that damn V-card...

yposhelley said:
Hey I'll tell you what the hottest physician is for any girl--a cute young DO who knows how to do OMM. :love: Work it.

Amen to that....they know how to find all the right spots..... :D

Wow, definitely some suprises. For example, I never would have thought that Ob/Gyn would get a vote. :laugh:

yposhelley said:

I tend to agree with you here. The ortho guys at Jackson Memorial Hospital are pretty hot, but then they open their mouths and down goes the fantasy. :( Such egos and what meatheads! I guess no one is perfect. ;)

beary said:
Pathologists!! They're not even on your poll. :(

I noticed that too, I'm gonna have to refer this thread to some of my friends that are going into pathology....but does having path friends make me nerdy...oops shouldn't have admitted to this

good thing i'm going into EM.

marcus_aurelius said:
i think it depends on what you're packing down south, if u know what i mean

packin a lot...u can get by as an fp

packin a little....must be a surgeon

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know about all these other specialties but Ophthalmologists get my vote. They're smart yet chill, tend to dress well, and pack some thunda down unda...haha. (Yes, I'm going into ophtho... ;)

Does anyone know of any guys that are actually going into Ob/Gyn? If so, be a friend and show them this poll before they make the leap. :laugh:

bghs11 said:
Does anyone know of any guys that are actually going into Ob/Gyn? If so, be a friend and show them this poll before they make the leap. :laugh:

I'm a pre-med so maybe I shouldn't post here but I really want to know what people have against OBGYN? Every OB-related post I ever read is about how the rotation sucked, etc. and now look at the poll... OBGYN is in ITALICS for god's sake! :(

I guess I can understand why men who want to impress women wouldn't want to say "I'm an obstetrician" or even more so "I'm a gynecologist" but is there any other reason, aside from the bad hours/high insurance/law suit issues that people avoid OBGYN?

I love this post you put up here. But, as guys, do we really want women that are this ignorant? So we gotta look at the flip side of things...yeah she may be hot with a perfect body, but if she really doesn't know that buffalos dont have wings (hahaha) do we really want her?

UT_mikie said:
To the layman/woman, I doubt any of the real competitive residencies will seem that attractive.

Optho: "Optometrist? So... can you get me some contacts for cheap... What? Ophthalmologist? Oh eye doctor? What you can't handle the whole body?"

Derm: "So you don't really save lives do you? You just treat acne."

Rads: "So you take X-rays all day? My cousin went to community college and he does the same thing.. you two should talk"

Most people don't really understand what kind of work doctors do in each specialty. Just say your a doctor and I think you'll be golden.

Dermatology...people go through medical school and bust their butts for dermatology...I am at a loss of words, people.

Accidentally posted twice cuz my browser at work is slow. COME ON PEOPLE NOT DERMATOLOGY!

hp85 said:
but is there any other reason, aside from the bad hours/high insurance/law suit issues that people avoid OBGYN?

you are funny. what you just said is kind of like saying, "besides the whole radioactivity issues... what's wrong with nuclear waste?"

for me, i would avoid obgyn because the woman you will be seeing will be either pregnant or have some type of problem/std and you will be spending all your time looking "down there"... and i can't say i really want to spend my days looking and proding around "down there" with those type of woman! :laugh:

bad hours/high insurance/law suits is the cherry on top. i can honestly say that i would not enjoy being woken up at 3am for the rest of my life to deliver babies... over and over and over and over... but to each their own, i guess.

unoriginal said:
for me, i would avoid obgyn because the woman you will be seeing will be either pregnant or have some type of problem/std and you will be spending all your time looking "down there"... and i can't say i really want to spend my days looking and proding around "down there" with those type of woman! :laugh:

"Those type of women"? I hope that was a joke.

Of course women are going to vote for Dermatology. Their boyfriend/husband will be paid, and don't forget all the free beauty products. Unfortunately, he'll also always be at home, which will make it harder for her to get away for some real lovin'. :rolleyes:

yposhelley said:
I disagree. I personally find plastic surgeons to be really creepy. I get the impression that they hoed out for the money and are shallow people. I'm sure thats not the case for all of them-but just as a generalization, plastic docs are not hot.

:thumbup:

Honestly, EM. Not because of George Clooney, but because A) I might actually see him while we're both at work, and B) none of this "honey, I'm stuck at work" business from him. :smuggrin: Yay for shift work!

I would avoid surgeons of any type. (although I plan to be one myself)

I hated my surgery rotation for sure, but I liked the surgeon's personality the best & I thought they were manly men. Chicks dig scrubs too. :laugh:

hp85 said:
I'm a pre-med so maybe I shouldn't post here but I really want to know what people have against OBGYN? Every OB-related post I ever read is about how the rotation sucked, etc. and now look at the poll... OBGYN is in ITALICS for god's sake! :(

I guess I can understand why men who want to impress women wouldn't want to say "I'm an obstetrician" or even more so "I'm a gynecologist" but is there any other reason, aside from the bad hours/high insurance/law suit issues that people avoid OBGYN?

You voted for it, thats why its italicized

Besides ophtho, my other two picks would be ortho and ENT. Decent hours (except Ortho) and you gotta like guys who work with their hands.

is "in like Flynn" referring to the famous early 20th century film star Errol Flynn. Swashbuckling,

GS

I'm a guy, but I voted EM and Neuro, so I wouldn't have to keep clicking 'view poll'. Someone show this to Tigress - apparently, ladies (on SDN, at least) *do* have a preference against male Ob/Gyns.

And FWIW, I agree w/Shelley w.r.t. dermatologists. They just seem...shallow. I realize that might be a generalization, but...(shrugs). Making cash off people's insecurities just seems...not so cool. Eh.

Derm= Pimple Popper, M.D.!
Just kidding.