Most interesting elective pharmacy course you've taken

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no-see-um

Bindaas
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd say Drug Interactions. But I want to know what's out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
International research, sites were france, japan, and korea.

I really enjoyed our Toxicology course which focused on overdoses and accidental poisonings.

I'm getting six hours of credit for writing my book.

What kind of book? Just curious...

Toxicology with Dr. Speaker. One of the most enjoyable classes. All tests were far fetched stories. The warehouse across from your pharmacy that makes x has a fire. The story builds with twists and turns and the questions come out of bizarre story. Not only did you have to think a little (odd for an elective) but it beats the treatment for an overdose of x is and list 4 choices.

Of course you really can't go by me as I also took an elective in spectroscopy, sorry I'm a geek....

I loved tox and Pharmacy Course Design (its a course that teaches you how to develop classes in pharmacy school)

Drugs and Society.

It was all about illegal drugs. There weren't any quizzes or exams.. and it was pass/fail. All we had to do was attend and talk about heroin, weed, cocaine, meth, shrooms, etc... and we got credit. It was like Las Vegas. What was said in class didn't leave class, but we still had a lot of stories about people's "friends" doing drugs. ;)

Best course ever.

Drugs and Society.

It was like Las Vegas. What was said in class didn't leave class, but we still had a lot of stories about people's "friends" doing drugs. ;)

Now that is a shock.......

Bioterrorism and Chemical warfare. We got to watch a video of our professor getting the small pox vaccine.

Toxicology with Dr. Speaker. One of the most enjoyable classes. All tests were far fetched stories...

Toxicology seems to be a popular favorite. My professor wasn't as creative as yours in terms of story-sharing, but my ears always perked up when the professor spoke of "exotic" toxins, such as tetrodotoxin from puffer fish.

Of course you really can't go by me as I also took an elective in spectroscopy, sorry I'm a geek....

And an Exalted Grand Master Geek, I bet. ;)

I took an elective for a month this summer which was with a pharmacist that is a major part of many neuropharmacolgy research projects. We did a lot with talking about clinical research ethics and all the steps for a research project to happen. We also got to shadow different people in pharmaceutical research. But one of the best aspects was that we did rounds in the neurosurgery ICU, and would not only talk about the patient's medications but what medications needed to have a good solid study for them to be accepted as standard and which studies were hard to do because in research you can not withold the standard treatment from patients.