Most meaningful remarks style: story or overview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Computing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been writing up my Work & Activities and while I had no problems with the general descriptions, I'm kind of torn about how to write the most meaningful remarks. Different websites seem to give different recommendations (and I understand that's because there's really no correct way to do it) and the two types of most meaningful remarks I've seen are:
  • PS-style story that concludes with some sort of reflection on how that experience relates to the activity being meaningful
  • An expanded version of the description with details on how the activity started, its impact, self-growth, etc.
Some places seem to prefer the detailed version as it provides more information whereas others prefer the story because it's more memorable. For example, if I'm trying to write about my experience volunteering in the ED, I could write about one patient encounter where I learned about the issues they faced due to health disparities or I could write overall how I learned about health disparities. I've been trying to strike a balance but I'm not sure whether I should include a specific story or not for each most meaningful activity, as it eats up characters. This might all be down to personal preference but I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to use the 1325 chars to describe why it was meaningful. You can include some description, but don't make the entire section just that.

Reactions: 1 users
You can do both. Be detailed about roles and responsibilities in the 700 character description, and then tell a memorable story that demonstrates how you grew from this position in your 1325 character essay.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
You can do both. Be detailed about roles and responsibilities in the 700 character description, and then tell a memorable story that demonstrates how you grew from this position in your 1325 character essay.

I'm not sure why, but the way you worded this just made it very clear in my head how I should approach this. I think I'll make some small tweaks to what I have, thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure why, but the way you worded this just made it very clear in my head how I should approach this. I think I'll make some small tweaks to what I have, thanks!
Great! Happy I could help. That’s how I approached mine and I found it very useful

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I've been writing up my Work & Activities and while I had no problems with the general descriptions, I'm kind of torn about how to write the most meaningful remarks. Different websites seem to give different recommendations (and I understand that's because there's really no correct way to do it) and the two types of most meaningful remarks I've seen are:
  • PS-style story that concludes with some sort of reflection on how that experience relates to the activity being meaningful
  • An expanded version of the description with details on how the activity started, its impact, self-growth, etc.
Some places seem to prefer the detailed version as it provides more information whereas others prefer the story because it's more memorable. For example, if I'm trying to write about my experience volunteering in the ED, I could write about one patient encounter where I learned about the issues they faced due to health disparities or I could write overall how I learned about health disparities. I've been trying to strike a balance but I'm not sure whether I should include a specific story or not for each most meaningful activity, as it eats up characters. This might all be down to personal preference but I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this. Thanks!
Just answer the question! It's not a trap.

• Love