Most *****ic thing said at interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GuyLaroche said:
getunconcsious said:
I have told you countless times to drop the word "depressed" from your vocabulary. You know I absolutely love you, but honey, that word is off-putting.

I think we need to have a SDN deathmatch... GuyLaroche vs. Psycho Doctor....

heheh....

Members don't see this ad.

As overheard at my SIU interview (where PBL is HUGE!!):

Interviewer: What are you looking for in a medical school?

Me (Thinking about how I would like faculty that care about the students): I wanna go somewhere where I can really be taught my stuff by an expert.

Interviewer: Then this isn't the place for you. You know we are PBL, right?

!?!?!?!? What was that crap that came out of my mouth !?!?!!

"Where I wanna be taught"....I KNEW THEY WERE PBL!!!

Luckily, I was able to salvage the interview and was still admitted.

My first interview I had no game plan, and told the interview I like to shoot hoops with my buddies three different times during the interview. The last time he was like, all right I realize you like to play basketball, but what else do you do, do you read books? It was pretty funny looking back at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tra La La said:
Yeah, this Ph.D. was interviewing me, and we got into a discussion about Middle East Politics.

He asked me an incredibly stupid and offensive question:

"Do you think that the problems in the Middle East can be attributed to the medieval culture of Arabs?"

WTF? What a facist.

Speaking as a medievalist, I'm almost offended by the question myself, but for entirely different reasons. Considering this was a period in time in which the world's first universities were founded, when what are (IMHO) the greatest works of art ever produced were begun, at an era when an unprecedented symbolic art/philosophy/literature/world viewpoint was in full-swing, and where the study of logic was being codified into a working system, I hardly see anything depressing (at least when taken into context with the rest of history) about the medieval period of history, at least if you move beyond the Dark Ages and into the flourishing 12th and 13th-centuries.

With that said, I know where he is coming from, and frankly, the comparison is in someways apt. The atrociously high illiteracy rates and the strict controls on expression and censorship do greatly contribute to the problems in the Middle East. Also, like secular kings and princes in early medieval Europe, terrorist cells are able to operate given a weak central authority or a fear of those in power losing legitimacy or authority throughout a good portion of the Middle East, as well. There is also the issue of no central source of authority unifying religious factions (e.g. the Pope, who is able to legislate through the authority of local Archbishops and Bishops), so you have dissenting voices causing clashes.

I think comparisons begin to bog down from there, though, and certainly what is the case now is very much different than life some 1,000 years ago.

I guess you could construe that question as offensive, but I see it as accurate in a number of ways. Just because a society in some ways resembles another from the past isn't necessarily offensive. I find a number of Muslim acts (and specifically some of those in the Arab world) of devotion to be both touching, admirable, and incredibly sincere, and this includes many acts of devotion which are similar to those practiced in the middle ages. But you have to admit that when a majority of the world's conflicts are festering out of one culture (I use that term loosely), that there are issues that need to be addressed. It so happens that many of those issues that need to be addressed resemble qualities of some medieval societies.

The way he put it was a bit crude and an incomplete and not wholly accurate way of presenting the problem, but you got a better way of saying it that you could spit out in a mouthful?

Just my 2 cents.

GuyLaroche said:
I cannot say I do not like all Christians, but quite frankly I have yet to meet one that I like. You certainly aren't helping the opinion poll in my mind.

God bless!

Did this guy actually say that he disliked 85-90% of the population?

Seeing as how you've felt it important enough to let us all know that thousands showed up for your birthday party, I find it hard to believe that you've just shut yourself up in a little box and haven't met a representative portion of the population. Unless you're just talking.

Dude, you have some very serious issues. Not the least of which is your little pretense of the pedantic savant. Really, it's time to get over yourself. You plop yourself on the crapper just like the rest of us.

EDIT: (just imagining what would have transpired if this phony would have inserted "black" for "Christian")

Big foot-in-mouth at an interview. I was telling my story about why I didn't go straight into college after highschool because I was looking to play basketball at a top-tier Div I school. I then said that even though I had athletic scholarships at lesser known schools, I took time off to get better and stronger so I wouldn't burn up any eligibility by playing for an small "crappy" no-name schools. About five minutes later, when asking about his background, he said he went to a small no-name school on a basketball scholarship for his undergrad. Did I ever feel like an ass. I got in though, go figure.

Lesson: Don't ever say anything negative at the interview.

At my first interview with some PhD bigwig at the school, he asked me what type of mass-spec I was using in the lab I did research in. I said "I don't know, I never look at it, I just put the stuff in and press a button". Bad thing to say.

Lesson: it's not a good thing to use your first interview as the place to practice answering interview questions.

NPursuit said:
EDIT: (just imagining what would have transpired if this phony would have inserted "black" for "Christian")

I quite enjoyed much of the post till I read this little bit.

Shame on you!

GuyLaroche said:
I quite enjoyed much of the post till I read this little bit.

Shame on you!

:love: guylaroche :love:

He's cool, you just have to get to know him first. Guy, why aren't you ever online anymore?? I miss ya!

Tra La La said:
Yeah, this Ph.D. was interviewing me, and we got into a discussion about Middle East Politics.

"Do you think that the problems in the Middle East can be attributed to the medieval culture of Arabs?"

WTF? What a facist.

i disagree with your disaproval of such a question; see the best thing about academics is that the brightest people you meet are also the most tolerant people (on balance). This is not just tolerance in the sense of race or ethnicity, just in general. You taking offense to this question may be simply due to the fact that in the context you have heard such questioning has been anti-arabic for example. You need to be able to free yourself of such media influences and be a tolerant person; If someone says something ignorant it is likely that their own socialization or media exposure has prevented them from understanding the accurate info; its important to be tolerant of that possibility; you dont need to educate everyone, just be tolerant.

by you getting angry with this question you are really doing to the interviewer what you feel he did to you.

getunconcsious said:
My worst interview moment was probably at UTSW. This lady asked me why I got into medicine and what specialty I wanted to pursue. She was a neonatologist. I told her that I used to want to go into pediatrics, but that it would be too depressing. She replied that she sees babies die every day. Oops. Although I maintain that my opinion is correct, because she was probably the most morbid, depressed woman I've ever met. I went on to say that although I'm from a rural area, I would not want to return to a small town to practice, because I don't like the lack of diversity and closed-mindedness that characterizes small towns. Turns out she's from a small town in Oklahoma and absolutely loves small towns. Double oops. Long story short, I ended up waitlisted. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

I also didn't like the interviews at UTSW so much. The interviewers were really "stuffy". One of them just remained stone faced the entire time and both acted like they didn't care what I had to say and they didn't want to be there (it was a Saturday so that could be why). I've heard the interview doesn't count for much there so it's most likely due to your out-of-state status that you got waitlisted, not anything with your interview or application.

My worst interview was at Baylor. It was my last interview but for some reason I was more nervous here than anywhere else. I had one interviewer that wanted me to spend the 30 min asking him questions. I always have about 5 questions pre-prepared to have on hand, but certainly not 30 min worth and had trouble coming up with more on the fly. I can't remember what I said, but I know I was asking stupid questions. When he did ask me a question, I totally misunderstood it. He stopped me and asked it again and I was just like "Oh." and then proceeded to stumble through my answer. I interviewed in September and haven't heard anything since so it's not looking good. I'm expecting my reject or at best waitlist any day now :(

I was extremely nervous during my interviews, and my extracurricular activites were kind of lacking. Anyway, this prompted one of my interviewers to implore "So, I'm confused, what exactly did you do in college outside of classes?" As he stared me down, I responded with what first came to mind. "Well...I sure drank a hell of a lot of beer." It was pretty much downhill after that and I didn't get accepted. And I thought med schools were looking for honesty :rolleyes:

Tra La La said:

WTF? What a facist.
I could comment on this a lot, but you don't even know what the Islamic culture entails, so I'll stop.

Tra La La said:

WTF? What a facist.

Maybe he just wanted to see if you were a fascist.

Members don't see this ad :)
amnesia said:
I could comment on this a lot, but you don't even know what the Islamic culture entails, so I'll stop.

WTF??! :eek: And I supposed you do?? You seem to know so much about life and everything else at 17... Really impressive! Hear that? That's Mommy calling you... bedtime.

SD Skunk said:
Yo, has anyone ever unintentionally said something extremely ludicrous at an interview?

Here is mine: at one of my earlier interviews, I was asked how I felt about abortion (one of my more challenging interviews). I told him that I personally am pro-choice, and I gave him my reasons. So he kept giving me scenarios in which my view was taken to the extreme, and redirecting the same question back to me: "So what about in that case, are you still pro-choice?" Basically he wanted to see how well I could maintain my view, even under pressure.

Anyhow, I was so ridiculously hell-bent on maintaining my view no matter what (I knew he was also trying to test the strength of my backbone), so at one point I ended up saying something really crazy. I ended up saying that I would support abortion even if it was performed on a 9-month-old fetus. Haha, crazy. Crazy-ass ****.

It wasn't until his eyes bugged open and he bellowed, "Would you personally perform that abortion? A 9-month-old fetus???" that I realized the absurdity of what I had said and was immediately humbled back into the world of rationale.

So I ask you fellas -- ever unintentionally say anything wildly stupid in an interview?

(I got a phone call from that same interviewer less than a week later, btw, telling me I got in. Most amusing. Maybe he hates babies. :laugh: )

how could being so hell bent on advocating abortion that you would say something like that make you laugh? shouldn't it make you think? dr's make choices on the spur of the moment. you can't ever go back and bring a dead baby back to life.

bewitched1081 said:
how could being so hell bent on advocating abortion that you would say something like that make you laugh? shouldn't it make you think? dr's make choices on the spur of the moment. you can't ever go back and bring a dead baby back to life.

dude man, you bore me. go post on another thread.

amnesia said:

And you do?? Please child...

Interviewer: "What's your biggest strength?"
Me: "I'm quick on my feet. Decisive."
[Later...]
Interviewer: "Do you think there's a difference between a sin of ommission and one of commission?"
*Two Minutes of Silence From Me In A Decidedly Indecisive Moment*

I know this is the allo forum, but at MSUCOM I actually said,
"wow, I'm bombing this interview" then thought, did I say that out load?
My interviewer replied, no your doing well, just calm down.
I was accepted two weeks later

The director of admissions at one school told all applicants before he gave his schpeal about the school that we should feel free to interrupt and ask questions, as he has given the schpeal so many times and it is actually more enjoyable if we ask questions. Of course no one did...until after he was done, and asked if anyone had questions. One girl did-- "Where's the cancer center?" I just don't know how knowing where the cancer center was did anything to increase her knowledge in the school. Maybe it's only slightly *****ic.

TheTrojanMan said:
I was extremely nervous during my interviews, and my extracurricular activites were kind of lacking. Anyway, this prompted one of my interviewers to implore "So, I'm confused, what exactly did you do in college outside of classes?" As he stared me down, I responded with what first came to mind. "Well...I sure drank a hell of a lot of beer." It was pretty much downhill after that and I didn't get accepted. And I thought med schools were looking for honesty :rolleyes:

Ahahahaha!

I also got a case of verbal diarrhea when my interviewer asked, "What word woud you use to describe yourself and why?" After being completely put off by this particular school and having no interest in attending I just blurted out, "Sassy....because I'm a sarcastic yet tactful individual who doesn't put up with people's crap." Needless to say I was not admitted.

It was just after the 2004 elections and my interview was at a DO school in a large midwestern town. One of my interviewers was this codgy, old Heme/Onc doc from Detroit(they flew him in for the interview day). He asked where I was from and I said Wisconsin. Oh, was his reply, a Kerry state. Well, I replied, Kerry actually won more votes this time than Gore did 4 years ago. He said, get this, That's cuz they got all the ******s and felons out and bussed them in to vote!
The jack@ss. Immediately, my mind went click, We will now be laughing at this interviewer for the remainder of the interview. I was accepted a week later, but gracefully declined.

I can top you all:

My interviewer spent the whole time asking about my husband. It was like an INS interview. He asked where we met, how we met, and where we married. Asked if my parents were present, what religion he was and if he was active etc. THen he asked what my parents thought about me marrying someone out of my faith and ask about how strong my family was in our religion. Then he asked what religion my children would have, and I said my religion because we plan on living in the USA. Then he wanted details about my husband's work. It was INSANE!!!!! Keep in mind he wasn't born in the United States and he probably was the same religion as my husband (thinking back).

He managed to ask me only two questions in the normal range--one was about my undergrad (his daughter attends my alma matter). And why his school.

Finally, he asked if I had any questions and I asked what kind of doctor he was and he said a Pyschiatrist! After that I was done. I didn't know what else to say.

I just recently found out I was rejected and I am kicking myself for not asking for another interview just for the sake of fairness.

The interviewer has a picture of his cat (siamese) on his desk and asks "do you know why parts of a siamese cat are black?". Excited that I actually remembered this from intro bio, I told him yes, that it was because the temperature for coat color was temperature dependent and the colder parts of the cat's body are therefore darker (tips of feet, nose, tips of ears, tail, etc). He responded by saying something about how nifty that was and I said, "yeah, I wonder if you put your cat in the freezer if it would turn all black?". He just looked at me. :oops:

My last interviewer asked me what I thought were the 3 most important qualities in a physician. I mumbled 2 good sounding qualities, but drew a blank for a third. After staring into space for a few seconds, I noticed one of those motivational posters on her back wall about perseverence. So, I blurted out perseverence.

I hope she never turns around.....

Perrin reminds me of the applicant who was asked who he'd like to invite to dinner. The interviewer was wearing a special tee-shirt honoring Martin Luther King (maybe inappropriate but ... ) and the applicant after a pause says that he'd like to have dinner with Martin Luther. What the.??? :confused:

Perrin said:
My last interviewer asked me what I thought were the 3 most important qualities in a physician. I mumbled 2 good sounding qualities, but drew a blank for a third. After staring into space for a few seconds, I noticed one of those motivational posters on her back wall about perseverence. So, I blurted out perseverence.

hahaha, that is funny as f uck

Tigger27 said:
The interviewer has a picture of his cat (siamese) on his desk and asks "do you know why parts of a siamese cat are black?". Excited that I actually remembered this from intro bio, I told him yes, that it was because the temperature for coat color was temperature dependent and the colder parts of the cat's body are therefore darker (tips of feet, nose, tips of ears, tail, etc). He responded by saying something about how nifty that was and I said, "yeah, I wonder if you put your cat in the freezer if it would turn all black?". He just looked at me. :oops:

oh, so demented yet so hilarious :laugh:

amnesia said:

What's it to you?

dura said:
I can top you all:

My interviewer spent the whole time asking about my husband. It was like an INS interview. He asked where we met, how we met, and where we married. Asked if my parents were present, what religion he was and if he was active etc. THen he asked what my parents thought about me marrying someone out of my faith and ask about how strong my family was in our religion. Then he asked what religion my children would have, and I said my religion because we plan on living in the USA. Then he wanted details about my husband's work. It was INSANE!!!!! Keep in mind he wasn't born in the United States and he probably was the same religion as my husband (thinking back).
All of these questions are wildly discriminatory and illegal if applying for a job... I'd bet it's illegal to ask them during a med school interview.

(food for thought)

Shaz said:
Hey, that kinda reminds me of that Dave Chappelle HBO comedy special where he goes, "Have you ever heard something so racist that you're not even offended, but you just stand back and think to yourself, 'wow. that was...that was racist!' It's like watching Atlanta burn down...like, damn."

Man, I can entirely relate to this as well. At an interview (in the south :rolleyes: ), I was asked for my ethnicity - I'm half chinese and half white - and then called a "goddamn chinaman". I didn't appreciate that one bit, but it took a while for it to really sink in.

Tra La La said:

WTF? What a facist.

gaf said:
Maybe he just wanted to see if you were a fascist.

Tra La La said:

So if you say something like "I think the Arab culture is much more evolved than that, so no. It's a very complicated situation." = nice answer.

"Yes, exactly" = condescending at best or, perhaps - as you thought your interviewer was - fascist.

haha, was this tulane? my interviewer at tulane greeted me by saying "another goddamn indian." and ended the interview by looking at his interview schedule and saying "oh man, i have another goddamn indian coming up next."

he was probably joking, but it didn't help my impression of the south.....i mean, it'd be one thing to hear that from someone on the street, but from a professor interviewing me for medical school admissions? i'd never consider going to the south anytime soon.

The JockDoc said:
Man, I can entirely relate to this as well. At an interview (in the south :rolleyes: ), I was asked for my ethnicity - I'm half chinese and half white - and then called a "goddamn chinaman". I didn't appreciate that one bit, but it took a while for it to really sink in.

gaf said:
So if you say something like "I think the Arab culture is much more evolved than that, so no. It's a very complicated situation." = nice answer.

"Yes, exactly" = condescending at best or, perhaps - as you thought your interviewer was - fascist.

I see.

USCTex said:
Interviewer: "What's your biggest strength?"
Me: "I'm quick on my feet. Decisive."
[Later...]
Interviewer: "Do you think there's a difference between a sin of ommission and one of commission?"
*Two Minutes of Silence From Me In A Decidedly Indecisive Moment*

Did you end up committing the sin of omission?

Perrin said:

Was this MCW?

This is not funny, just stupid

During my (Canadian) interview, I was asked to define the major problem with our health care system, so I launched into this passionate rant about how I think the problems are innate, things will only get worse, and the problems can only be fixed by redesigning the whole system. Then, it suddenly occurred to me how negative and treacherous I must've sounded if the interviewers, like many Canadians, are still proud of our system, so after concluding that the principles of universal healthcare are flawed and the future bleak, I blurted out "But I think Canada has the best healthcare system in the world."
There was this confused pause as he stopped and tried to process my nonsensical 180

I was pretty nervous for all of my interviews, but nothing makes me more nervous than an unresponsive interviewer. So, I was in this interview and I swear this guy paused for a minimum of 45 seconds after each of my answer (no nods, no mmhmms, no nothing)...just to think them over or something, I guess....I am completely unable to tolerate that much silence, so I just babbled on and on. Anyway, so after an unbearable pause I said, "You know what's been the worst thing about being in the Northeast? You don't have pickles at your movie theaters! In Houston, we have pickles at all of our movie theaters and for the last 3 years that I've been up here, I always asked the person at the refreshments counter for a pickle and each person has looked at me strangely and said they didn't sell them. I mean, I just assumed everyone was out, like that they were really popular, so I kept asking and kept asking, until a friend of mine finally clued me in that it's weird to have pickles in movie theaters. So, I felt like such an idiot, but now I'm always disappointed because pickles are the best parts of movies! **nervous, awkward laughter**" Yes. I said this...and I said it at light speed, too, just to make myself sound as idiotic as possible. Yikes.

sunUCB said:
haha, was this tulane? my interviewer at tulane greeted me by saying "another goddamn indian." and ended the interview by looking at his interview schedule and saying "oh man, i have another goddamn indian coming up next."

he was probably joking, but it didn't help my impression of the south.....i mean, it'd be one thing to hear that from someone on the street, but from a professor interviewing me for medical school admissions? i'd never consider going to the south anytime soon.

Yes it was actually. Old navy guy huh? I agree, it said a lot about the south to me when a medical school representative of 30 years or whatever finds it acceptable to welcome incoming minorities like that.

SD Skunk said:
Yo, has anyone ever unintentionally said something extremely ludicrous at an interview?

Here is mine: at one of my earlier interviews, I was asked how I felt about abortion (one of my more challenging interviews). I told him that I personally am pro-choice, and I gave him my reasons. So he kept giving me scenarios in which my view was taken to the extreme, and redirecting the same question back to me: "So what about in that case, are you still pro-choice?" Basically he wanted to see how well I could maintain my view, even under pressure.

Anyhow, I was so ridiculously hell-bent on maintaining my view no matter what (I knew he was also trying to test the strength of my backbone), so at one point I ended up saying something really crazy. I ended up saying that I would support abortion even if it was performed on a 9-month-old fetus. Haha, crazy. Crazy-ass ****.

It wasn't until his eyes bugged open and he bellowed, "Would you personally perform that abortion? A 9-month-old fetus???" that I realized the absurdity of what I had said and was immediately humbled back into the world of rationale.

So I ask you fellas -- ever unintentionally say anything wildly stupid in an interview?

(I got a phone call from that same interviewer less than a week later, btw, telling me I got in. Most amusing. Maybe he hates babies. :laugh: )

i don't see what is so absurd about this statement. a newborn baby is no more (or less) a human being than a 6 month old fetus. infanticide is widely accepted by many rational beings as being no different than abortion, and is in fact advocated in certain circumstances, though obviously there still exists a stigma to it and is therefore very much illegal (as are most forms of euthanasia). many hospitals practiced such infant euthanasia in the past - there are ethics articles from case studies at hopkins hospital and others that not only illustrate such so-called dilemmas, but also show that such practices do occur...

This one is from my interview at UT-Houston

Interviewer- I am a PHD in opthamology, blah blah..
Me: So what made u interested in optho?
Him: I do research, blah blah
Me: So do u like doing surgeries?
Him: I do research, I am a PhD not an MD (He was pissed)
Me: oh yeah...

Got rejected here

At Baylor:

First Interview-
Him: So i see you have been published in neurology blah blah, tell me about ur research
Me: I researched the silent period of nerve conduction blah blah
Him: So what was it for? What does it mean?
Me: I have no idea.

second interview-
Her: Tell me about Germany's healthcare
Me: Huh?? I just gave up after this question..
Her: I see that you have a low score on your radiology board
Me: I'm intervierwing for medical school
Her: Oh, ok I thought you were somebody else

I got waitlisted and rejected here

sunUCB said:

Hey guys. I had this guy too an my interview went terribly. But as someone from the south I would have to say please don't hate us just because of one old cranky guy. We really aren't so narrow-minded as some people believe.

As far as my worst interview moment... At one of my interviews the interviewer had gas!!! He farted probably 5 or 6 times in 30 minutes. It was so hard to not crack a smile. You could tell that he was really embarassed so I felt bad for him.

Lizzie said:
As far as my worst interview moment... At one of my interviews the interviewer had gas!!! He farted probably 5 or 6 times in 30 minutes. It was so hard to not crack a smile. You could tell that he was really embarassed so I felt bad for him.

That's hilarious!!! :laugh:

My interview was going very smoothly until they asked me about my favorite movie. Now, one of my favorite things to do to relax is to throw in a movie, but my mind went blank. All I could think about is the movie I'd seen the week before and I mentioned "Team America". :laugh: Well, I still got in, so they must have a sense of humor.

CalicoKat said:
I was pretty nervous for all of my interviews, but nothing makes me more nervous than an unresponsive interviewer. So, I was in this interview and I swear this guy paused for a minimum of 45 seconds after each of my answer (no nods, no mmhmms, no nothing)...just to think them over or something, I guess....I am completely unable to tolerate that much silence, so I just babbled on and on. Anyway, so after an unbearable pause I said, "You know what's been the worst thing about being in the Northeast? You don't have pickles at your movie theaters! In Houston, we have pickles at all of our movie theaters and for the last 3 years that I've been up here, I always asked the person at the refreshments counter for a pickle and each person has looked at me strangely and said they didn't sell them. I mean, I just assumed everyone was out, like that they were really popular, so I kept asking and kept asking, until a friend of mine finally clued me in that it's weird to have pickles in movie theaters. So, I felt like such an idiot, but now I'm always disappointed because pickles are the best parts of movies! **nervous, awkward laughter**" Yes. I said this...and I said it at light speed, too, just to make myself sound as idiotic as possible. Yikes.

hahahahahahaha dude :) That's pretty funny actually.
what did the interviewer say?

I ended up saying that I would support abortion even if it was performed on a 9-month-old fetus. Haha said:
I do not think your responce is that funny. Maybe a little on the sick side. Congrats on getting in though.

Yours,
Caraway

Megalofyia said:
I offered sexual favors at one of my interviews.. I know this doesnt sound too out of the ordinary except that I'm 325 lbs. Basically what I said was "Bottom line.. I want to go to med school and I'm willing to give you a BJ right here right now for that privilege." It didn't go over too well and I was waitlisted at the school.

:eek: I hope you are a female :laugh:

Mothra said:
All of these questions are wildly discriminatory and illegal if applying for a job... I'd bet it's illegal to ask them during a med school interview.

(food for thought)

A medical school does not hire its students. Those questions are not illegal in an interview.

deuist said:
A medical school does not hire its students. Those questions are not illegal in an interview.

According to AAMC they are. Unfortunately, you are in a bad place when an interviewer asks them because what are you supposed to say? You can either gracefully answer, or risk the wrath of not answering. My advisor said it is always better to answer, but that it is your right to decline to answer.