Most Pathetic Rejection Letter Ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
RWJ's rejection letter today - mass email without applicant's names with a pdf attachment to a form letter also sans applicant name. You'd think since each applicant bothered to personalize their secondary and pay them $75 (or whatever) the least they could do is run a program that prefills in applicant's names to their letter. They wouldn't even need to put it in as an attachment and could just send a "personalized" email. Talk about lack of tact!

Members don't see this ad.

RWJ's rejection letter today - mass email without applicant's names with a pdf attachment to a form letter also sans applicant name. You'd think since each applicant bothered to personalize their secondary and pay them $75 (or whatever) the least they could do is run a program that prefills in applicant's names to their letter. They wouldn't even need to put it in as an attachment and could just have each personalized email. Talk about lack of tact!
yikes!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
although this being Jersey, I can't say I'm suprised at the lack of tact and professionalism.

snap.jpg

That does suck...although this being Jersey, I can't say I'm suprised at the lack of tact and professionalism.
Amen to that. (Im from Newark). I got this as well. I wonder when NJMS starts sending theirs out and if it will be more tactful than RWJ's lol

EDIT: Here is the transcript of the email:

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Committee at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has completed its final review of your application. Attached is a letter informing you of the Committee's decision.

Thanks for your interest in RWJMS. We wish you the best.

Office of Admissions

And in the attached PDF:

March 5, 2007
Your application to UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has been given
careful review by the Admissions Committee. I am sorry to inform you that it will
not be possible to offer you a place in our entering class.
We appreciate your interest in UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and
wish you success in gaining acceptance at another medical school.
Sincerely,
Carol A. Terregino, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Chair, Admissions Committee

RWJ's rejection letter today - mass email without applicant's names with a pdf attachment to a form letter also sans applicant name. You'd think since each applicant bothered to personalize their secondary and pay them $75 (or whatever) the least they could do is run a program that prefills in applicant's names to their letter. They wouldn't even need to put it in as an attachment and could just send a "personalized" email. Talk about lack of tact!

Wow...that's cold. :thumbdown:

That totally beats a form letter I recently received (different school) where they didn't even manage to spell my name correctly...but, hey, I guess I should now give them credit for at least slapping on some version of my name at all.

Woo just got the letter too! Woooo!

I got the letter too, I'm mad because that money could have been put towards Blu-ray DVDs or another Wii remote :mad:

Eh..I think Georgetown's rejection would hurt more given their $150 (or something high like that) application

<snip>

And exactly *why* was it necessary to send it out as an attachment, instead of putting it into the body of the email? As an editor in a former lifetime, this stuff drives me nuts.

Yea, I guess I wasn't really hurt since now that the season is winding down I'm just looking for application closure. However, the impersonal nature of it just threw me for a loop - I mean, come on! Give two extra seconds of effort.

It's amazing though how, now that I've received several rejection letters the personal touches of a hand signed letter or even a well written form letter actually seem "special." Shouldn't every school have the professionalism and courtesy to at least personalize their rejection letters and write more than a "We've reviewed your application. You're not getting in. Have a nice future elsewhere."? I personally think it reflects poorly on a school to have such a poor approach to informing applicants of their status, regardless of how busy the school is - with five months worth of time (or whatever your own review period was), I think UMDNJ could have come up with an extra second for each of us.

Good luck with your other apps everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

PS: Awesome pic foofish - Greece?

Yea, I guess I wasn't disappointed since now that the season is winding down I'm just looking for application closure. However, the impersonal nature of it just threw me for a loop - I mean, come on! Give two extra seconds of effort.

Exactly. It's just a poor reflection of the school, and I'm sure it's something that's going to be tucked in the back of your mind when it comes to applying for residency, or jobs, etc. Bah.

Yup, it's Santorini in Greece...I'm planning a trip there in May, after the application dust settles. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, for those who got that letter, was it postinterview, or preinterview?

Yea, I guess I wasn't really hurt since now that the season is winding down I'm just looking for application closure. However, the impersonal nature of it just threw me for a loop - I mean, come on! Give two extra seconds of effort.

It's amazing though how, now that I've received several rejection letters the personal touches of a hand signed letter or even a well written form letter actually seem "special." Shouldn't every school have the professionalism and courtesy to at least personalize their rejection letters and write more than a "We've reviewed your application. You're not getting in. Have a nice future elsewhere."? I personally think it reflects poorly on a school to have such a poor approach to informing applicants of their status, regardless of how busy the school is - with five months worth of time (or whatever your own review period was), I think UMDNJ could have come up with an extra second for each of us.

Good luck with your other apps everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

See, if they rejected you in such a crude fashion, it demonstrates a lack of chracter on their part - you probably wouldn't have been happy there anyways, especially given this expereience. Be happy you aren't going. :D

Yup, it's Santorini in Greece...I'm planning a trip there in May, after the application dust settles. :)

Oooooo, I wanna go! :D You definitely earned a nice trip after all the *&^# that is applying to med school.

I'm heading off to Eastern Europe in June instead. Greece seems so amazing though - hoping to get there eventually!

Dartmouth actually had a really nice rejection letter. Kinda made me feel bad for them having to reject me. "Thats ok Dartmouth (I pat them on the back) don't be so sad. I'm sure that you did what you could. Its not you, its me. Sometime two entities are just not meant for eachother. I am sorry that my low stats put you in such an awkward position of having to deliver bad news to me."

Dartmouth actually had a really nice rejection letter. Kinda made me feel bad for them having to reject me. "Thats ok Dartmouth (I pat them on the back) don't be so sad. I'm sure that you did what you could. Its not you, its me. Sometime two entities are just not meant for eachother. I am sorry that my low stats put you in such an awkward position of having to deliver bad news to me."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah, i seem to have inconvenienced some schools as well.

Thats like the Davis letter:

Dear Applicant:

The Admissions Committee of the School of Medicine, University of
California, Davis has completed a careful review of your application for
admission. I regret to inform you that the Committee is unable to offer you
a place in the Class entering fall of 2007.

Each year the number of applicants for admission far outnumber the
positions available in the entering class and as a result, the Committee
must refuse admission to a very large number of well qualified and highly
motivated men and women.

Thank you for your interest in our school. I wish you well in your future
endeavors.

Sincerely,

Amerish Bera, MD
Asst. Dean, Admissions and
Outreach
University of California, Davis
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions and Outreach
One Shields Ave.

I just received my rejection letter from them as well. Yeh, its pretty lame. I think theirs, as well as Georgetown and Drew Medical School were the worst. Georgetown's rejection letter hurt because of all the money spent, as well as in my case, I don't even think they looked at my application, since I applied in December.
As for Drew's rejection letter, it was literally two sentences that basically say, "We have carefully reviewed your application and can not offer you a spot at Drew Medical School. Thank you for your interest".

Man, this process sucks!!
-Frustrated Premed Applicant

SO i'm pretty shook after reading some of these posts. I applied/interviewed at RWJ too. I havent heard anything and I interviewed on Jan 29th:eek: . If i get a ******ed letter like that...yo, i donno.

when were ya'll complete/when did u all interview??

That is so unprofessional on the part of RWJ. The 'mail merge' function has been available on MS-Word for quite some time.:scared:

How embarrassing for anyone associated with that school.

March 5, 2007
Your application to UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has been used as toilet paper by the Admissions Committee. I am sorry to inform you that it will not be possible to offer you a place in our entering class.
We appreciate your money and wish you success in gaining acceptance at another medical school.
Sincerely,
Carol A. Terregino, M.D.
Associate Dean for Form Letters
Chair, Rejection Committee

fixed

Amen to that. (Im from Newark). I got this as well. I wonder when NJMS starts sending theirs out and if it will be more tactful than RWJ's lol

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Committee at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has completed its final review of your application. Attached is a letter informing you of the Committee's decision.

Office of Admissions

And in the attached PDF:

March 5, 2007
Your application to UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has been given
careful review by the Admissions Committee. I am sorry to inform you that it will
not be possible to offer you a place in our entering class.
We appreciate your interest in UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and
wish you success in gaining acceptance at another medical school.
Sincerely,
Carol A. Terregino, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Chair, Admissions Committee

+1. haha. in my letter, there was a "?" below "office of admissions" haha.

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Committee at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has
completed its final review of your application. Attached is a letter
informing you of the Committee's decision.

Office of Admissions

&#65533;

Nothing for nothing, I think all the email rejection letters are really lame....After we paid all this money to apply to schools, they couldn't even afford the 37 cent stamp so I can have a physical copy of it....And I mean, not putting your name on an email and just saying Dear Applicant, shows a lack of consideration in the applicant.

actually the worst was ucinn... just an email telling you to check your status ... and there was one sentence- which said you are not offered a position in the class basically.

man, and i thought emory's "interview season is over! buh bye!" email was cold!! at least that was in the subject. sorry peeps. :(

I also received that e-mail and was quite annoyed. I'm considering responding to it....hmmmm

I also received that e-mail and was quite annoyed. I'm considering responding to it....hmmmm

Dear Office of Admissions,

The Applicant has finished their review of your previous email. Attached is a letter informing you of The Applicant's thoughts on your decision.

Thank you for your thorough and timely review of The Applicant. They wish you the best.

The Applicant

+pissed+

I agree that this seems pretty unprofessional.

I'd prefer that they did it at the interview day. You could sit down in your assigned chair for dinner while a dean stops by and says, "Okay everybody, reach under your chair and find an envelope."

(Critical Mass opens envelope.) It reads: "Dear Critical Mass, GO HOME, YOU SUCK. Have a nice day and best of luck at other schools."

Would you send a thank you letter if that happened?

Dear Office of Admissions,

The Applicant has finished their review of your previous email. Attached is a letter informing you of The Applicant's thoughts on your decision.

Thank you for your thorough and timely review of The Applicant. They wish you the best.

The Applicant

+pissed+

Haha how funny would that be? Not a bad idea. I feel like they should know how unprofessional and crappy they are.

I'm making a list of schools to apply to this week. Any school mentioned in this thread is off the list. I'm guessing that if they are that unprofessional in the rejection, I don't want to be there for four years.

I got the letter, too. Luckily, I never sent in the fee for the secondary application so I don't feel so bad.

Got the RWJ letter also... cheap bastards...

I sorta felt bad, then I remembered that they mailed me a magazine advertising their school before rejecting me...

I sorta felt bad, then I remembered that they mailed me a magazine advertising their school before rejecting me...

:laugh: Thats too funny. :laugh: It reminds me of those spam Wisconsin emails soliciting applications last year. But I do have to give Dartmouth props for at least taking the time to mail a proper and timely letter of rejection. Although the unsolicited advertising mail is a little un-classy. NJMS does the same thing with Podiatry mailings. Whats with that? Uh ... I applied to medical school, not foot school. Must be a Jersey thing.

You must not remember that we did not have to personalize our secondary for RWJ--all they asked from us was our money. :laugh:

I believe they also (Or was it NJMS) sent our emails that informed its applicants any news about the medical school sent out by their dean or something like that. Almost kind of a tease if you ask me- Itd be always seem like a change in your status until you open it up and they are talking about NIH funding lol.

I believe they also (Or was it NJMS) sent our emails that informed its applicants any news about the medical school sent out by their dean or something like that. Almost kind of a tease if you ask me- Itd be always seem like a change in your status until you open it up and they are talking about NIH funding lol.

Ah yes. Thats was NJMS. I friggin hated those updates. Every time I got one I thought it was an invite. It was just mean man.

Armpit of america guys, what did you expect.

I wasn't too offended by the email, because really, Jersey stinks.

Was their rejection really that bad? What's the difference between having a computer program automatically put your name and address on a form and sending it out versus an attachment without your name? Rejections suck no matter what. My favorite rejection line is the "we know this is a disappointment to you..." It's even better when you've been accepted at a better school and the school that rejected you is just a safety school. Not too disappointed.

In the florida thread, people said they got rejected from the Univ of Florida via email. The email title said "R W/o IV." As in, Rejection without interview aka dont bother to open this rejection email because we didnt bother to spell out the words. The Univ athletic association appreciates your donation.