Mount Sinai MBS vs. BU MAMS PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keanu788

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently got into both the Mount Sinai Masters in Biomedical Science program and the BU MAMS program and I am having a really tough time choosing between the two. Here are my stats:

MCAT 31M
UGPA: 3.25 with a major upward trend after my freshman year.
Already a solid amount of research experience and major amounts of extracurriculars.

While there is no question that Mount Sinai is more research based, I feel like it will still offer me an opportunity to improve my overall credentials for medical school. The small class size is definitely a plus.

On the other hand Boston is a great place and already an established SMP.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend an MCAT retake to get above average, regardless of which program you choose. That score is under your control, compared to your GPA, both of which will still get nitpicked after finishing an SMP.

I like MSSM as well because it's small. But I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Best of luck to you.

I recommend an MCAT retake to get above average, regardless of which program you choose. That score is under your control, compared to your GPA, both of which will still get nitpicked after finishing an SMP.

I like MSSM as well because it's small. But I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Best of luck to you.

They're both respectable, but one is a true-SMP and the other is not. Do you think the OP should make a decision based on his/her numerical credentials? Example: since the OP has a 3.25 GPA (which is on the lower end), would he/she benefit more from BU MAMS than MBS?

I guess my reasoning is that if you have a lower(er) GPA, do a real SMP. If it is on the higher end (3.4 ish) maybe the MBS would better.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're both respectable, but one is a true-SMP and the other is not. Do you think the OP should make a decision based on his/her numerical credentials? Example: since the OP has a 3.25 GPA (which is on the lower end), would he/she benefit more from BU MAMS than MBS?

I guess my reasoning is that if you have a lower(er) GPA, do a real SMP. If it is on the higher end (3.4 ish) maybe the MBS would better.
I agree that MSSM isn't a true SMP. But in my mind, it's a program that's more selective than most of the good SMPs, only accepting students with less-disastrous GPAs and qualified research backgrounds. MSSM MBS students lose a bit of the crowbar-into-med-school and gain a fairly compelling research experience, not limited to performing research but extended to making contacts and gaining credibility. I was more interested in this program than in true SMPs, back when, but didn't consider applying because I'm a 3.1. For the record, I have no first-hand exposure to NY med school culture, so I could be completely delusional, and/or distracted by the concept of going to school across the street from central park.

BUMAMS, by contrast, is a true, unapologetic crowbar of an SMP.

My $.02.

I don't know how interested you are in interview/linkage options, but at MSSM you need a 34 to be guaranteed an interview there. They do have MCAT prep apparently, but unless you feel that you're likely to get at least a 34 then it may not be that useful (unless you have no intention of applying to MS medical school)