moving to Mississippi?

Started by biobean
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

biobean

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i've been accepted at Mississippi. i didn't get a chance to visit the surrounding area while i was there. what's it like and would a transplant from california do okay?
 
so i've been accepted at Mississippi. i didn't get a chance to visit the surrounding area while i was there. what's it like and would a transplant from california do okay?

What part of CA? probably gonna be different culturally anyways.
 
an extreme end of the spectrum: santa cruz.
i go to school in ithaca, ny...but that's still like santa cruz.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starkville is basically a small college town. My biggest adjustment has been getting used to not having a lot of options in terms of stores and resources. Sure there's a Lowe's hardware, two grocery stores, and a Walmart, but I was really used to being able to visit five different places to find what I wanted. I miss Target most of all. Starkville has mostly everything you need for day to day, some cute shops on a cute little downtown Main St, a few fun restaurants, a small but (undergrad-)thriving nightlife. We've even got some fun musicians through in the past few weeks and coming months, including Snoop Dogg, OAR, and Citizen Cope, although big names are far and few.

When I interviewed here, I immediately HATED Starkville. I had never before set foot in Mississippi, and the isolation and humid winter weather made me uneasy. Then I interviewed, and fell in love with the school. I chose MSU over my other option purely because I loved the school, not the town. Since that point, I have adjusted quite a bit and am now fond (most of the time) of the little town as well.

The two good parts about Starkville are SUPER CHEAP housing costs, and lack of stuff to do therefore you study! We bought an adorable house with a huge backyard for about half of what we would have paid back home, and I absolutely love it.

The weather is unbearably hot in the summer. For me, I'm going back home during the middle of the summer so I don't get too sick of the place before I head into my second year. The cold part of winter only lasted a few short weeks, and it's generally really rainy, but spring seems to have started already (yesterday).

The people are generally very pleasant, and people get really excited about MSU sports games. The closest mall that even remotely compares to the malls you are used to is an hour north in Tupelo, and the closest Target is an hour and a half east in Tuskaloosa, AL.

Since half the vet class will be out-of-state, you'll have people to sympathize with you as you adjust to the south, especially Starkville. The other half will likely be from MSU's undergrad, or somewhere fairly local, and they are always more than happy to help you find your way around to whatever you need.
 
I heard that most students live in trailer parks near the school.....how is it to live in a trailer when a storm rolls through? I ask because I am terrified of storms and esp. tornadoes. I can't imagine that they are too safe.

Alonepear, do you live in a trailer? or what do you live in?
 
I heard that most students live in trailer parks near the school.....how is it to live in a trailer when a storm rolls through? I ask because I am terrified of storms and esp. tornadoes. I can't imagine that they are too safe.

Alonepear, do you live in a trailer? or what do you live in?


Quite a few students do live in trailers, although I wouldn't say most do. A good amount also own or rent houses, and a lot of people rent apartments. I was told when I first moved here that there is usually only one, maaaaaybe two tornado scares a year... so far, I think we've had four.

I personally would not feel comfortable in a trailer, although you generally have plenty of warning throughout the day that the weather could generate tornadoes later in the evening or night, so you could plan accordingly. Also there are tornado sirens in town that go off, but I'm not sure if some of the trailer parks further out can hear them. I feel pretty safe & secure in my house, and we can hear the sirens loud & clear.

No tornadoes have really caused any damage to Starkville since I moved here, although there are stories about them causing a bit of damage to the CVM in the past. This year they have been missing us and causing a lot of destruction further north (seems like Memphis has been pummeled recently).