All Branch Topic (ABT) Moving to Residency and Day Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BigRedDeal

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting residency at Walter Reed this summer and trying to figure out day care options for my infant. I've called their Child Development Center and was given a different number/person to talk to in order to get more information. I've left a few messages at that other number. The messages were never returned; and now when I call, the voice mailbox is full.

When I rotated there, a resident told me that you need orders before they will put you on the very long wait list. He had to put his kids in an off site day care and said the military will subsidize the difference between the cost of on site day care and off site. I cant find any information about the subsidy. But the cost difference between the two seems to be around $1000, if not more.

Anyone who has been through the process of finding day care while in the military, and or acquiring the subsidy, can you shed some light on your experience?
 
I'm starting residency at Walter Reed this summer and trying to figure out day care options for my infant. I've called their Child Development Center and was given a different number/person to talk to in order to get more information. I've left a few messages at that other number. The messages were never returned; and now when I call, the voice mailbox is full.

When I rotated there, a resident told me that you need orders before they will put you on the very long wait list. He had to put his kids in an off site day care and said the military will subsidize the difference between the cost of on site day care and off site. I cant find any information about the subsidy. But the cost difference between the two seems to be around $1000, if not more.

Anyone who has been through the process of finding day care while in the military, and or acquiring the subsidy, can you shed some light on your experience?
im not sure about the subsidy part but when I contacted my future base's CDC about registration I was told it all had to be done here
https://www.mcyfirst.com/mcy-consumer/home/viewhome.action
 
Yes this is the bane of your existence for every move. I don't recall if they actually ask for a copy of your orders to get on the wait list, but either way you need to get on it ASAP. The wait list for some of the hospital CDC's can be over a year at times.

As long as you are on the wait list you are elgible to receive subsidies for out in town care through NACCRRA for which you can get paperwork online. This subsidy will not entirely cover the difference in my experience so be ready for sticker shock depending on what you need.

Also realize that your priority on the wait list is based on your military & marriage status. Dual military and single parent military get priority. One other thing to consider is the CDH program which is childcare provided in people's homes. Sometimes they are more flexible with schedules, other times they are less flexible so make sure to interview all of them they offer to you at least by phone.

Good luck, it can be quite a long wait.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My kids don't go to CDC as the wait list proved too long for us to handle. There're a lot of resources available for child are in the area, and it can be daunting, but a good place to get further advice is from the WR Oak Leaf Club: http://www.oakleafdc.org
 
Sorry for taking forever to reply. Babies are exhausting!

Finally got in touch with the Walter Reed's CDC. Found out they are expanding their current facility and that hopefully by July, there will be no wait list. Also, an acknowledgement letter is sufficient to put you on the wait list. The monthly cost will be around $630 vs $2000 for outside day care! Not sure about the hours though. Open 0600 to 1800 doesnt sound doable for those working intern hours.
 
Sorry for taking forever to reply. Babies are exhausting!

Finally got in touch with the Walter Reed's CDC. Found out they are expanding their current facility and that hopefully by July, there will be no wait list. Also, an acknowledgement letter is sufficient to put you on the wait list. The monthly cost will be around $630 vs $2000 for outside day care! Not sure about the hours though. Open 0600 to 1800 doesnt sound doable for those working intern hours.

The rib and I had kiddo #1 while in residency at WRAMC/NNMC (I'm dating myself). We had preference at the CDC due to our dual military status, but the rib was very turned off by what she perceived as "watch your kid run around while we make sure he doesn't kill himself" attitude (I find mothers to be more particular about these sort of things than fathers). In the end she decided that we would pay the extra money for private child care. We used http://www.mondaymorningmomsmcmd.com/index.html which was kind of a cross between a nanny (less kids) and a daycare (somebody else's house, cheaper, no tax hassle).

Methinks you need to adjust your expectations about childcare hours though. 0600 to 1800 is likely as good as you're going to get without hiring a live-in nanny/au pair (which numerous colleagues did). Everywhere we have been stationed our kids have been the first kids there in the morning and the last kids there at night. And there were many nights as a resident and still some to this day where I tear out of the hospital at 1730 to pick the kids up by 1800, take them home and start the dinner/bedtime thing with the rib leaving the hospital promptly at 1930 so she can take over with the kiddos and I can head back to the hospital to finish my work.

#thisisthebusinesswe'vechosen