Moving to Texas post-undergrad, what are chances at a Texas dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango4193

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First-time poster here. I'm currently in my last year of undergrad and would love to go to a Texas dental school. They are cheap, I have family in Texas I'd like to be close to (cousins & aunts), and just love the state in general. However, I know Texas schools are notorious for giving out few out-of-state acceptances. I was wondering if anyone knows if I move to Texas in June, get a job, and pay rent, would I be considered a resident for admissions purposes? I've tried speaking to the admissions office at UTH and Texas A&M but have received vague responses like "we're not the ones who determine residency status." Here are my stats if it helps in determining my admissions chances:

oGPA: 3.69 sGPA: 3.5 (non-science major)
DAT: taking at the end of the month, hoping for 21+ (emphasis on hoping lol)
3 years public health psychiatry research w/ publication + poster presentation
~80 volunteer hours in low-income dental clinic and as a youth mentor
haven't calculated my shadowing hours but they should be solid by June
20 hrs/week employment as a server since freshman year

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would have to live in Tx for a while to be considered in state

You will need to live in Texas for one year to be considered an IS applicant, which is important because by law 90% of the spots are reserved for IS residents. Here is what determines residency: Residency

Your GPA is about average for TAMU and UTHSCSA and lower than UTH. Your DAT will be important to offset this. You need to score a 22 to be competitive, that's Houston's average and the others are now above 21 as well. 21.5ish i think as average.

You need to up your volunteering hours as well. Having non dental volunteering is quite important. You didn't list anything about shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to live in Texas for one year to be considered an IS applicant, which is important because by law 90% of the spots are reserved for IS residents. Here is what determines residency: Residency

Your GPA is about average for TAMU and UTHSCSA and lower than UTH. Your DAT will be important to offset this. You need to score a 22 to be competitive, that's Houston's average and the others are now above 21 as well. 21.5ish i think as average.

You need to up your volunteering hours as well. Having non dental volunteering is quite important. You didn't list anything about shadowing?
Appreciate the response! Yeah, this DAT basically determines how much of a shot I have; it's nerve-wracking. I'm planning to go IN on volunteering after I finish my DAT. I have relationships with several organizations already thankfully, just need to up my hours. As for shadowing, I mentioned above I haven't calculated my exact hours but it should be upwards of 150. Also, congrats on A&M! Do you have any other advice for getting in there, assuming I'm able to establish residency? Thanks so much!

Lol my plan was to move to Texas after undergrad if I didn't get into a school and apply again as a TX resident