Moving to Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightblueelephant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering moving to Texas to establish it as residency for med school applications-- I have always lived in another state that has only 1 MD school that I'm unlikely to get into. Me moving to Texas wouldn't be entirely shocking as my dad's whole side of the family lives there. If I were to move at the end of next month would that satisfy the Texas residency rules? I know it says 12 months prior to the deadline but does that mean i would be considered in state until October? I'm applying next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Im not familiar with the Texas residency rules, as I've lived in Texas my whole life. I would call TMDSAS and verify that with them. Seems important.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." -Davy Crockett

I know that it's 12 months, but the problem comes from the fact that I assume you will be submitting your application before October. While you would be a resident come interview time, you wouldn't be by the time you submit your application, and I really don't think you are allowed to claim residency before you actually obtain it. I would definitely check with TMDSAS on this.