The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@medalik to the best of my knowledge, yes! And @wysdoc or someone else can confirm so I don't confuse folks who may need this info:

1) If you have multiple acceptances (including TX and national ones), you must choose a school by April 30th (by using the Choose My School tool in AMCAS or whatever it's called)

2) if you only have once acceptance and one waitlist offer, you can wait for the waitlist offer until May 15th

3) for folks with no offers, they can be on waitlists until much later something like even right before orientation week....
We discussed this recently over here: 5

The TMDSAS Match narrows all us Texans down to one school. If you also hold an offer at AMCAS you have to pick and narrow down to one school April 30.
Read the remarks in the thread I linked and also see where the stance of TMDSAS is quoted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been able to send UT Austin transcripts electronically to TMDSAS?? Or only paper copies?

Reactions: 1 user
There are OOS people who might be holding more than one TMDSAS acceptance. They need to narrow down to one by April 30th - in or out of state.
Last cycle there was an OOS student who chose Penn State with a much higher tuition over A&M with instate (had UTMB and may be some other school). Essentially this person was holding one or more admissions until April but didnt keep any in Texas in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to send UT Austin transcripts electronically to TMDSAS?? Or only paper copies?
Austin is a dinosaur with paper copies! I heard they might have electronic transcript delivery available but that it’s not compatible with TMDSAS system, has anyone else heard this?

Austin is a dinosaur with paper copies! I heard they might have electronic transcript delivery available but that it’s not compatible with TMDSAS system, has anyone else heard this?
Yup, something called SPEEDE I think

Anyone know if the Texas Public Education Grants (TPEG) need to be paid back?

Found the page for it here but that info isn't stated there
A Grant does not have to be repaid.
They are usually based on financial need, so FAFSA has to be completed and sent to your school's financial aid office.

The website you linked is for college education but there may be similar grants available for medical school. The best source is your school's financial aid office & let them know that once they have processed your information you would like to know if there are any grants you are eligible for.

Last edited:
It took exactly three weeks from when I sent mine to TMDSAS to be processed. Remember for most schools you must send your transcripts to TMDSAS and the school.

So… did anyone else get the “past due” email from TMDSAS? What do they mean when they say they will process transcripts received by April 15? If our transcript is being mailed and it gets there after that date, are we no longer getting into med school? 😥

So… did anyone else get the “past due” email from TMDSAS? What do they mean when they say they will process transcripts received by April 15? If our transcript is being mailed and it gets there after that date, are we no longer getting into med school? 😥
I did, I sent my transcripts immediately after but im worried that they won't process in time on the TMDSAS side and what that'll mean. See if your school has an expedited shipping option. And I'm worried that they contacted our schools. Anyone else been in/ know someone whos been in this situation 😓

Do you have to send transcripts to the school you are attending if you have already submitted to TMDSAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did, I sent my transcripts immediately after but im worried that they won't process in time on the TMDSAS side and what that'll mean. See if your school has an expedited shipping option. And I'm worried that they contacted our schools. Anyone else been in/ know someone whos been in this situation 😓
As long as TMDSAS receives your transcript by April 15th you will be fine; however, if it arrives at a later date I'm not too sure what will happen. Also, if they have contacted the school already nothing will happen. In the transcript FAQ they explain that it will not affect your acceptance. So just get them in electronically and it will be received fairly quickly by TMDSAS or get it mailed ASAP and hope the delivery isn't messed up.

As long as TMDSAS receives your transcript by April 15th you will be fine; however, if it arrives at a later date I'm not too sure what will happen. Also, if they have contacted the school already nothing will happen. In the transcript FAQ they explain that it will not affect your acceptance. So just get them in electronically and it will be received fairly quickly by TMDSAS or get it mailed ASAP and hope the delivery isn't messed up.
This was reassuring thank you so much!

Paper transcripts take forever through TMDSAS so I would send them ASAP.

Paper transcripts take forever through TMDSAS so I would send them ASAP.
I expedited it so it should arrive in 1-3 days so I should be okay I hope 😭

For transcripts sent through parchment, I couldn’t find TMDSAS as a designation already in the system so I just added their email, was that the case for others?

I expedited it so it should arrive in 1-3 days so I should be okay I hope 😭

For transcripts sent through parchment, I couldn’t find TMDSAS as a designation already in the system so I just added their email, was that the case for others?
Yup, I had to do the same thing!

I expedited it so it should arrive in 1-3 days so I should be okay I hope

You should be fine. The first time I sent a paper transcript was in December and TMDSAS lost it/couldn’t find it. So I sent it again in late January to TMDSAS and they got it in 1 week ish. It didn’t show up in my portal for 3 ish weeks after that. Dealing with paper transcripts with TMDSAS was frustrating for me. All in all, that one school’s transcript took 2 months to receive and process.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine. The first time I sent a paper transcript was in December and TMDSAS lost it/couldn’t find it. So I sent it again in late January to TMDSAS and they got it in 1 week ish. It didn’t show up in my portal for 3 ish weeks after that. Dealing with paper transcripts with TMDSAS was frustrating for me. All in all, that one school’s transcript took 2 months to receive and process.
That is frustrating, you would think they'd have a better system in place by now. How did you know they received it if it didn't show up in the portal? Should I just give them a call in about a week?

That is frustrating, you would think they'd have a better system in place by now. How did you know they received it if it didn't show up in the portal? Should I just give them a call in about a week?
The best and most direct communication is to message TMDSAS in your portal. Each of you has been assigned a specific liaison who always looks at/takes questions on your file.

I don’t know this for certain, but I think the processing lag with paper transcripts is due to some of the workers doing their job remotely and not in the physical office where mail is delivered.

The first time I sent a paper transcript from UT to TMDSAS, I did not use a tracker. I emailed the transcript person like 5 times. Eventually when January rolled around, they just told me to send another one. Once I did, I made sure to use a USPS tracker with my transcript. They got it like a week-ish later and then spent several weeks to process it. Definitely would send a message in the TMDSAS portal if you don't hear anything in 30 days.

• Wow
At least 5 people I’ve talked to (included my self) have had to send their transcripts twice since TMDSAS never received them the first time via parchment

So if my only acceptance is from TMDSAS and I have already paid and accepted the offer, do I have to do anything else?

So if my only acceptance is from TMDSAS and I have already paid and accepted the offer, do I have to do anything else?
No- other than watch for emails from your school to see what supporting info they would like next.
Usually-
Transcripts
Vaccine records and/or titers
Background check
FAFSA

No- other than watch for emails from your school to see what supporting info they would like next.
Usually-
Transcripts
Vaccine records and/or titers
Background check
FAFSA

Does this include using the choose your medical school tool on AMCAS and selecting my TMDSAS? I can’t tell if that’s like mandatory or not.

thanks for all your support [mention]wysdoc [/mention]

Does this include using the choose your medical school tool on AMCAS and selecting my TMDSAS? I can’t tell if that’s like mandatory or not.

thanks for all your support [mention]wysdoc [/mention]
I would go by the emails that your school sends to you.
CYMS tool is primarily a "crowbar" to get people with more than one acceptance to come to a decision by a certain time.
If you have one school only, not such a big deal.
Congratulations -

I know this thread got really quiet, but how is everyone doing?

• Care

im good, just relaxing and working, have a few trips coming up so that’s exciting! this thread used to be so active prior to match day how are you?!

im good, just relaxing and working, have a few trips coming up so that’s exciting! this thread used to be so active prior to match day how are you?!
Pretty good, just finishing up my undergrad classes before graduating, and waiting on the waitlists lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Slaving away at work, contemplating the banality of my existence. Decided to start reading some classic books, namely A Tale of Two Cities. I'm enjoying it so far so that's good. It is strange to me how much work went into the MCAT, and the subsequent application, and now I'm just kinda sitting here doing nothing. It feels weird.

Reactions: 3 users
Slaving away at work, contemplating the banality of my existence. Decided to start reading some classic books, namely A Tale of Two Cities. I'm enjoying it so far so that's good. It is strange to me how much work went into the MCAT, and the subsequent application, and now I'm just kinda sitting here doing nothing. It feels weird.
It does feel a little weird, but I am glad everything worked out.

Just my two cents, but I would be surprised if significant WL movement happens so early in April. As Wysdoc and others have said, WL movement happens when people leave TX spots for OOS spots. Most OOS schools have their second looks in April, through the end of the month. I'd expect more WL movement towards the end of the month/right up to May 1st/right after May 1st as people decide after their visits. Of course, that's a generalization.

Reactions: 6 users
Just my two cents, but I would be surprised if significant WL movement happens so early in April. As Wysdoc and others have said, WL movement happens when people leave TX spots for OOS spots. Most OOS schools have their second looks in April, through the end of the month. I'd expect more WL movement towards the end of the month/right up to May 1st/right after May 1st as people decide after their visits. Of course, that's a generalization.
I know :) I was just being silly. Back when PreMatch season started, we silly premeds started games on guessing when more offers would roll in on a certain week or period. So I guess my vibe joke was more of an "internal" joke than anything else... I got melancholic; for ol' times sakes lol

Reactions: 4 users
Any bets as to when exactly in April? 🤪 I’m gonna throw in a vibe for Thu/Fri this week 😜 Just for fun!
My b i didnt even see this; my guess was as early as this friday or starting next week…but honestly im sooo bored i j wanna see some ACTION😤😤

My b i didnt even see this; my guess was as early as this friday or starting next week…but honestly im sooo bored i j wanna see some ACTION😤😤
Same! Even if it doesn't happen to me, I seriously look forward to the excitement and movement of others! Thanks for dropping your prediction! It made my day hehe Can't wait to see when that first "I got in!" report comes in!

Brodie hit the spot. Feelin this too. I'm hypin myself up, just like I did for my MCAT. I'm just thinkin "med school boutta be a movie"

Workin on my hops and the gym; goal is to dunk like Jalen and compete for the Olympia by the end of the year. I used to think if I can do the MCAT, I can do anything. Boi boutta put that to the test 😤

- Future Olympian

Slam Dunk Basketball GIF by Ballislife

Brodie hit the spot. Feelin this too. I'm hypin myself up, just like I did for my MCAT. I'm just thinkin "med school boutta be a movie"

Workin on my hops and the gym; goal is to dunk like Jalen and compete for the Olympia by the end of the year. I used to think if I can do the MCAT, I can do anything. Boi boutta put that to the test 😤

- Future Olympian

Slam Dunk Basketball GIF by Ballislife
Big body benz

Absolutely dreading the thought of starting a Re-App next month. Hopefully next year's republic of TX thread is as chill as this one, lol

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Absolutely dreading the thought of starting a Re-App next month. Hopefully next year's republic of TX thread is as chill as this one, lol
You have until July since you have no matches but unfortunately you need to plan in order to be on time.

As I understand it, you should be able to move your old stuff?

Reapplication / Postbacs
I hate to bring up the dreaded word reapplication, but if any of you are headed that direction and feel you might need to do a postbac to bring up your academic standing, today's edition of the AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair is focusing on postbac programs. 55 programs will be represented.
Link here: AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair

Reapplication / Postbacs
I hate to bring up the dreaded word reapplication, but if any of you are headed that direction and feel you might need to do a postbac to bring up your academic standing, today's edition of the AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair is focusing on postbac programs. 55 programs will be represented.
Link here: AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair
I was surprised to see there is one listed for Baylor. Didnt know they had one.

I was surprised to see there is one listed for Baylor. Didnt know they had one.
They do, and there are several more in Texas aside from the 2 which are represented at the virtual fair today.
I don’t have a good list of all of them right now but it’s something I can work on later.