1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by el.mo19, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Memm77

Dear guys

Regarding the Johns Hopkins scholarship for 2nd year masters students, do you have any stats regarding the percent of students who can achieve a GPA>3 in their first year to become eligible for this scholarship? How much difficult is this requirement?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PHnerd13

Thank you!!! I heard back from Emory really fast but really I think the UNC Global Health program is much better! Keep your hopes up! You have been accepted in really great schools so far, Emory will get back soon!

3. jacobble

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Accepted to UMichigan MPH in HBHE!

4. NDSU.19

Accepted: UMN Environmental Health (12/17)

5. krequals10

Accepted to Emory for Global Health!

6. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Congrats!! Did you find out via email?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. futureMPH

I have been following the thread for a while and decided to add my own info! Anxiously awaiting a response from UNC MPH, my number one pick, but worried because I am coming straight out of undergrad. Any advice is welcome!

***As well, if anyone has any questions about UMich PH buildings or campus in general, I can offer some insight.
    • Undergrad School: University of Michigan, B.A. in Global and Community Health in the School of PH
    • Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42 (SOPHAS verified)
    • GRE: V: 159 Q: 155 W: 5.0 (November 2018)
    • Experience/Research (please, be brief):
      • Study abroad in Santiago, DR. Took PH classes and worked in rural clinics
      • Internship at a MI local health department
      • Current researcher for U of M Department of Physical Rehabilitation services
    • LOR: One from the provost of University of Mich, two from previous employers, one from professor
    • Interests: MPH in Health Behavior
    • Applied: Emory (11/18), Michigan HBHE (11/18), University of Minnesota (11/18), UNC HBHE (11/18)
    • Rejected:
    • Accepted: Emory (12/12), University of Michigan (1/11)

#707 futureMPH, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. futureMPH

I received an email this morning around 10 am.

9. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

Congratulations to all who have gotten into these amazing programs, and good luck to those still waiting!

Also, to those who have gotten into Emory, I encourage you to join the Admitted Students Class of 2021 group on Facebook! :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/209129179973222/

10. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

Congratulations! I’m not so familiar w combined PhD programs, BUT I think your stats are solid and you have relevant experience. Hopefully it’ll help you did undergrad at a very well known school of public health as well!

11. kingorange9

Accepted to Brown's MPH Program :)

12. ph133

Congrats! When did you submit if you don’t mind me asking?

13. kingorange9

Thank you :) I submitted on 8/27 and was verified on 9/16. This was unexpected seeing as the last thread heard back around February.

14. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Congrats! I'm finishing up my MPH at Brown this semester. Lmk if you have any questions.

This year, Brown SPH made some major changes to admission. The staff, website, etc. are all new. I think they've been very positive changes. Just wanted to say something in case others are looking at past years' stuff about Brown. This year will be different!

15. dubbz09

Got into Brown! :banana:
    Funding was mentioned in the email but haven't received details of that just yet.

16. mgsb7

Just got accepted to Tufts!

17. blackjedbartlett

Just got accepted to Tufts and Brown. Brown mentioned aid but didn't go into specifics!

18. Missaayyyy

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Congrats to you both! What exactly is Brown saying about aid? I haven't heard back yet but I'm interested to know if they're saying "you qualify for aid since you applied before the deadline" or whether they're saying "you have gotten aid, we will let you know how much soon"?

19. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

The past several years, scholarship mention in the acceptance letter meant a 25% tuition reduction merit scholarship for most people. But like I said, things with admissions have changed a bit, so it's possible funding for MPH students has also changed.

Missaayyyy likes this.
  20. dubbz09

Thank you! The letter said "pleased to tell you that you've been awarded financial support", it goes on to say that the specific program will send further details later on.

Thanks for the heads up!

Missaayyyy likes this.
  21. blackjedbartlett

Around mid to late October. I don't remember the exact dates but I know I was verified about a day or two after applying

BeHappy97 likes this.
  22. pubhealthiscool

Anyone hear back from UMich or UNC for their health policy MPH?

23. futuremd2025

Would you be able to tell me a little bit about UofM's facilities? Are the public health buildings nice?

I wouldn't be worried about applying straight out of undergrad. If you got into both UofM and Emory, I would think you will be fine!

24. Ramaq Chishti

@wwmmkk @JDGBruin1317 @el.mo19 @sploosh @dubbz09 @MPAfya_19
    And I am sure I missed many but off the top of my head, thank you guys for keeping this thread alive, for so much help and best of all, hope and generosity. :)
    I really wish you and everyone who contributed all the happiness and blessings in life. I am still undecided ofcourse but I really wanted to take this moment to thank all and everyone. Stay massively blessed. <3

MPAfya_19, 'froDiva, el.mo19 and 9 others like this.
  25. EnviroJusticeWarrior

Just got accepted into Penn's MPH program!

Undergrad School
    : Large State School (Graduating in December)
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17 (rough freshmen year) 3.8 Public Health GPA according to SOPHAS and 3.4 Upper Level GPA (indicating upward trend)
    Major/Minor: Public Health / Global Poverty
    GRE: V: 155 (69%), Q: 160(74%), W: 4.0(August 2018)
    Experience/Research:

- 2 years working with faculty within the School of Public Health (multiple community-based and on-site projects)
    - 1 summer internship at the National Cancer Institute w/ culminating poster presentation at the NIH main campus
    - co-author of 2 publications (1 manuscript and 1 chapter)
    -won 1st and 3rd place in two departments specifically at the Undergrad Research Poster Event at my campus; won first place at another on campus poster event
    -Former president of a social/economic rights student organization on campus
    -Philanthropy Chair for another student org on campus
    -Worked part time on campus

LOR: one from the mentor at the School of Public Health, another from a former professor in class I performed well in, and another from my senior capstone professor (for my later apps) or another professor
    Interests: MPH in Environmental Health, Risk Assessment, Global Health, Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Applying: Harvard (SM - Enviro Health), Penn (MPH - Environmental Health), Cornell (MPH - Infectious Disease), University of Maryland (MPH - Enviro Health), GWU (MPH - Enviro Health and Policy) Tulane (MSPH- Enviro Health) All applied by 11/1

Accepted: GWU (11/12), Tulane (11/14), University of Maryland (11/26), Emory (12/12), Penn (1/11)

Rejected:

26. CLib1214

Congrats on Penn! Did you have to interview?

27. eb330009

Not yet... I emailed UNC and they told me it'll probably be a few more weeks :/

28. futureMPH

They are super nice! There are two PH buildings and a few classrooms that the majority of classes are in. I luckily live in the neighborhood nearby so it is only about an 8 minute walk to the buildings from my house. The faculty are incredible and I have nothing but nice things to say about them.

futuremd2025 likes this.
  29. serioustar123

I heard back on Dec. 31st :)

30. EnviroJusticeWarrior

Yes, I interviewed late December and it was pretty chill, no longer than 20 minutes and at the end they mentioned a decision would come first week of January so I was stressing out a bit before I got the email haha

CLib1214 likes this.
  31. keeks23

Per last year's thread, this upcoming week is when Yale started to release admission decisions - hoping this year the timeline is the same! :xf:

32. eskiiit

has anyone heard of anything about LSU epi? Haven't seen much on this thread or last year's but thought might be worth a shot to ask.

33. Dr.debby

Hi, I received the same mail too. Did you complete your assessment ?

34. emie

That’s awesome!! Congrats!! Can I ask what were your stats/when did it get verified in SOPHAS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

35. sammph

Hello,
    I have not finished it yet! Did you?

36. mph2019!

Graduate GPA: 3.91 ( june 2019)
    Graduate School : International Student ( Pharm. D)
    GRE: 155 V (69 th percentile), 158 Q ( 68th Percentile), AWA 4.0 ( 59th percentile)
    TOEFL: 103

Experience:
    -1 year as public health coordinator for my Country's Student Chapter
    -1 year as secretary of College Student chapter through which conducted various medical camps and awareness activities
    - volunteering for an NGO focused on overall development of children

LOR:
    Not really strong ones

Interest: MPH- epidemiology

Applying: UNC- Chapel hill ( Applied Epi), UCLA (Epi), Yale ( Epi of Microbial Diseases), UIC, Rutgers, U of South Carolina
    Accepted: Rutgers

I haven't heard from the others schools yet. What are my chances of being accepted to them. Please let me know.
    Also, I have received a mail regarding video questions from Yale. Did any one go through the experience?

#736 mph2019!, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 6:56 AM
  37. hollyberry118

Hello! Interesting about your Yale video questions assessment. May I ask if your application was marked complete by Yale? Mine was a couple of weeks ago but I have not received the video questions (yet)....

38. annie51

For folks who got the video questions from Yale, do you mind specifying which department you applied to? I applied for SBS and have not received them....

39. mph2019!

I submitted my application on 28th November and was marked completed on 16th December

hollyberry118 likes this.
  40. mph2019!

The mail said to finish the process by Feb 1st. So you have some time. All the best !

41. sammph

I received it and I applied to Chronic disease Epi!

mph2019! and annie51 like this.
  42. mph2019!

Hey did you complete the process ?

43. armchair_cosmonaut

Regarding the video questions for Yale... by "mail" do you mean by physical mail or email?

44. mph2019!

I received an Email

armchair_cosmonaut likes this.
  45. sammph

No I haven't finished yet!

46. mph2019!

I am pretty anxious about my UNC-chapel hill ( applied epi) decision. Any idea if I stand a chance ?

47. mph2019!

ohk

48. Memm77

Hi
    I’m an international medical graduate, and I have applied to this program of UNC, and I’ve not received any email email except automatic ones just after submitting my application and supplemental application. Have you received more emails from them? Our stats are almost similar and I hope both of us be accepted at UNC-Applied Epi If you have any cobcern or toughts to share with me, do not hesitate to message me.

49. sinigual

I applied for health policy and haven’t received one. Based on the responses here I’m starting to think it’s specifically for EPI

I think this is a language issue. I would be very surprised if Yale, in 2019, sent video Qs through the mail rather than email

dubbz09 and BeHappy97 like this.
  50. Memm77

I have applied to Yale chronic disease Epi MS program, and did not receive this email :-?