MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Replying to my earlier post to add some stats:

Undergrad School: Top 20 public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7 (overall)/3.6 (major)
Major/Minor: Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 168 (98%), Q 165 (88%), Writing 4.5 (83%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- Intern at non-profit cancer research center (4 months)
- 2 yrs working at CDC
- 3 years TA with the same professor
- 1 semester tutoring biostats course
- President of public health club during college
- 1 year at neuroscience lab (part-time, during school)

Special factors: Won two grants for public health projects

Letter of Recommendations:
2 professors, 1 work supervisor

Interested in: MPH Epi
Applied (include the date of application):

Colorado School of Public Health, UW, Brown, UMich, UNC, Berkeley
All around 12/1 for an MPH in Epi

Accepted: Michigan (12/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hoping for some more good news over the next couple months!

Accepted into unc for the mph in applied epi last week (I think Friday). Replying to my earlier post in case anyone is curious about the timeline. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone applied to the University of Arizona for MPH in Health Promotion Health Behavior?

Or know anything else about the program?

Has anyone done the virtual interview for WashU's merit scholarships?

Yes I have.
It is a unique opportunity to express yourself more and better. If you can answer the questions 'why public health?' and 'how can I contribute to it?', then I think you are ready for the interview. Also, take advantage of the practice questions before the main interview, the questions there are very similar. All the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done the virtual interview for WashU's merit scholarships?

Yes! I completed the video interview back in early-December and already received both admissions and scholarship offers. Let me know if you have any questions about the process!

Yes I have.
It is a unique opportunity to express yourself more and better. If you can answer the questions 'why public health?' and 'how can I contribute to it?', then I think you are ready for the interview. Also, take advantage of the practice questions before the main interview, the questions there are very similar. All the best!

Yes! I completed the video interview back in early-December and already received both admissions and scholarship offers. Let me know if you have any questions about the process!

Thank you!

I just received my acceptance email from UMN!

Reactions: 6 users
Just received an acceptance from UMN-Community Health Promotion!

Application submitted, verified 11/31/2018

GPA: 3.01 (verified)
GRE: 152 (Verbal), 148 (Qualitative), 4 (Writing)
Applied: UMN (MPH in Community Health Promotion) & Colorado SPH-Denver (MPH in Community Health Promotion)
Accepted: UMN (MPH in Community Health Promotion)

Just received acceptance from University of Minnesota: Community Health Promotion!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got into Emory BSHE!! Haven't gotten the email but my portal has updated!

Got accepted in UMinn - MPH Epi
Dear guys who receive UMinn acceptance, have you hear anything related to financial aids and scholarships in your official letter? When should we wait for these decisions based on previous years? I’m really passionate about UMinn particularly because of research interest fit :)

Just got into Emory BSHE!! Haven't gotten the email but my portal has updated!

Congrats!!! I’m still waiting on an admission decision so hopefully this week. Seeing all the acceptances is nice :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats. How did you find out about your scholarship offer at WashU? Did it come with your acceptance letter?

Dear guys who receive UMinn acceptance, have you hear anything related to financial aids and scholarships in your official letter? When should we wait for these decisions based on previous years? I’m really passionate about UMinn particularly because of research interest fit :)

From the admissions page they sent: "Please note that scholarships are awarded between the months of January - April. Scholarship recipients will receive direct communication via email if they have been selected for an award."

Seems like as with other schools, it's pretty up in the air when scholarship awards go out. Fingers crossed!

Been sitting on this, but since I've heard back from several schools, I want to offer encouragement to any future students with a less than stellar GPA. Identifying exactly what I wanted to do with an MPH, working hard for a couple of years, and having the luck of knowing some great people for my letters of recommendation helped me get into some good programs. If you don't have the best GPA, don't give up! Time and experience can help ;)

Undergrad School
: Big 10 University
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (SOPHAS verified - took some community college classes, so undergrad GPA is closer to 3.25)
Major: Double major in Zoology/Psychology
GRE: V: 163 (93%), Q: 158 (68%), W: 5.0 (November 2018)
- 1 year experience working as a clinical research coordinator at a rural hospital running oncology clinical trials and a large precision medicine trial.
- (almost) 1 year experience as a clinical research coordinator at a university hospital running health services research clinical trials (current position).
- Was involved in student governance in undergrad and worked on projects such as balancing the health services budget and assessing the availability of gender-neutral bathrooms for gender nonconforming students on campus. Also took several infectious disease classes, some of which were part of the MPH program.

LOR: One from former professor in infectious disease class who worked for CDC, one from coworker at first job, one from my PI at current job who is also chief of our department.

Interests: MPH in infectious disease epidemiology. My dream is to work for the state department as an epidemiologist in a very niche field (despite scrolling through all the posts in this forum since...2013? I still haven't seen anyone else show an interest in it, which makes me hesitant to identify it while still waiting on admissions).

Applied: Boston U, Tufts, UMass Amherst, Yale, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison (all epi)
Accepted: Boston U + $ (12/17), Tufts (01/11), Minnesota (01/14)

I didn't get the video interview from Yale, so I imagine I am not being considered. Ah well, glad to have gotten into the ones I have. Is anyone else starting to get nervous about finances though? I was told not to take out more than my first year's salary in loans (so approximately $50k), but yikes, all the schools so far seem so expensive, even with having saved up for the last two years :eek:

In an email they sent me, they said they would notify about admissions and scholarships by the end of January. So maybe expect to hear back by the end of the month if you applied by the priority deadline.

Does anyone know a general acceptance timeline for the Johns Hopkins MSPH programs? I specifically applied to Global Disease Epidemiology and Control. Best of luck everyone, and thanks in advance for any insight:highfive:

Does anyone know a general acceptance timeline for the Johns Hopkins MSPH programs? I specifically applied to Global Disease Epidemiology and Control. Best of luck everyone, and thanks in advance for any insight:highfive:

I second that! I applied to the MHS in epi, does anybody know when we are hearing back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Been sitting on this, but since I've heard back from several schools, I want to offer encouragement to any future students with a less than stellar GPA. Identifying exactly what I wanted to do with an MPH, working hard for a couple of years, and having the luck of knowing some great people for my letters of recommendation helped me get into some good programs. If you don't have the best GPA, don't give up! Time and experience can help ;)

Undergrad School
: Big 10 University
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (SOPHAS verified - took some community college classes, so undergrad GPA is closer to 3.25)
Major: Double major in Zoology/Psychology
GRE: V: 163 (93%), Q: 158 (68%), W: 5.0 (November 2018)
- 1 year experience working as a clinical research coordinator at a rural hospital running oncology clinical trials and a large precision medicine trial.
- (almost) 1 year experience as a clinical research coordinator at a university hospital running health services research clinical trials (current position).
- Was involved in student governance in undergrad and worked on projects such as balancing the health services budget and assessing the availability of gender-neutral bathrooms for gender nonconforming students on campus. Also took several infectious disease classes, some of which were part of the MPH program.

LOR: One from former professor in infectious disease class who worked for CDC, one from coworker at first job, one from my PI at current job who is also chief of our department.

Interests: MPH in infectious disease epidemiology. My dream is to work for the state department as an epidemiologist in a very niche field (despite scrolling through all the posts in this forum since...2013? I still haven't seen anyone else show an interest in it, which makes me hesitant to identify it while still waiting on admissions).

Applied: Boston U, Tufts, UMass Amherst, Yale, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison (all epi)
Accepted: Boston U + $ (12/17), Tufts (01/11), Minnesota (01/14)

I didn't get the video interview from Yale, so I imagine I am not being considered. Ah well, glad to have gotten into the ones I have. Is anyone else starting to get nervous about finances though? I was told not to take out more than my first year's salary in loans (so approximately $50k), but yikes, all the schools so far seem so expensive, even with having saved up for the last two years :eek:
I assume UW-Madison is the MS epi program? I’m currently in that program if you have any questions. Everyone in my cohort was able to secure funding for spring semester, plus I’ve heard the MS is more competitive for PhD programs if you choose to do that in the future.

I started to prepare for this application from June. it's kinda late for us international student.
But luckily for me, I submitted my application before the ddl and now I already got my first offer from Emory~

Undergrad School
: Foreign medical school (graduated in July 2018)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.49 (WES)
Major/Minor: Medicine
GRE: V: 158, Q: 167, W: 3.5 (October 2018)
Experience/Research:
- 1.5 year clinical internship in affiliated hospital
- 1month clinical elective in U.S
- 1month internship in local CDC
- 1.5month research/internship in the Statistic department of my school, 1 review draft (unpublished)

LOR: one from a statistical professor, one from a cardiologist, and one from a pathogenic biological professor

Interests: MPH/MS in epidemiology, especially in neuroepidemiology because I'm interested in those neurological diseases

Applying: Emory (accepted 1/4), Columbia (accepted 1/23), Yale, USC, Boston, Pittsburgh(accepted 1/10), Minnesota

I ever used this forum to search for information about license examinations, but today I just found this special forum for mph and your diverse replies are really helpful for me. thank you guys! and good luck!

Last edited:
Longtime lurker here—figured I’d join in now that I’m finally hearing back from some programs!

Undergrad School
: Small liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56
Major/Minor: Biochemistry and Public Health (Pre-Med)
MCAT: Chem/Phys: 128 CARS: 126 Bio/Biochem: 129 Psych/Soc: 128 Total: 511 (84th percentile)
Experience/Research:
-Biological anthropology research w college professor (~2 semesters) and presentation at undergraduate poster presentation (AAA Annual Conference)
-Summer research internship at UMass Medical Shool in Biochem lab
-Summer internship at non-profit in Washington, DC w independent research focusing on best practices in health communication
-Internship/senior thesis research (2 semesters) at Needle Exchange Program focusing on effectiveness/appropriateness of harm reduction education resources for active injection drug users
-Part-time job as EMT (paid—3 years)/acted as student director of squad (volunteer—2 years)
-Full-time job as Harm Reduction Counselor at Needle Exchange Program (8 months post-grad)
-Full-time job as Nursing Assistant at VA Hospital (8 months post-grad)
-Full-time job as medical assistant at private optometry practice (5 months post-grad)
LOR:
-Advisor/biology professor
-Advisor/anthropology professor
-Supervisor from internship/job at needle exchange
Interests: Only applying to 1-year MPH programs to fill my gap-year (2019-2020) in between now and med school (applying in June for 2020-2021 academic year). Mostly interested in healthcare delivery, systems of oppression, and health disparities in the US.

Applying: Johns Hopkins, NYU Cross-Continental, and Dartmouth (all verified 11/30)
Interviewing: Dartmouth (heard back 12/20–interview on 1/17)
Waitlisted: none!
Rejected: none!
Accepted: NYU Cross-Continental + $ (1/14), Johns Hopkins (1/16), Dartmouth + $ (1/30)

Did anyone else get into the Cross-Continental Program? I’ve read the infamous reddit post, so I obviously have my reservations, but the program seems interesting. I’d like to consider it, but they gave me a deadline of Feb. 1st which seems like much too soon—especially when I’m still waiting to hear back from other programs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good morning! I'm finally ready to post my stats. I'd love any feedback or predictions! **Disclaimer- I have been waiting on a transcript from another school where I took biochemistry this past fall, so many of my applications are still incomplete, but the transcript is on the way! So, I probably won't be hearing back from many schools for another month or two.... (right?)

Undergrad: Small liberal arts college (May 2017)
Undergrad GPA: 3.77
Major/minor: Public health/biostatistics
GRE: V: 153 Q: 156 W: 5.0
Experience/Research:
- 2+ years of undergrad research/thesis work on S. aureus colonization among healthy nursing students
- Includes grant-funded summer research
- ~2 years of employment at top Boston hospital as a Research Technician in translational research lab that studies Lyme disease and Lyme arthritis
- Performs clinical testing for Lyme disease
- Studies Borrelial genetics among infected study population
- Studies certain bacterial protein biomarkers in rheumatoid arthritis patient population, in works as a diagnostic for RA
- 4+ years of volunteering at local homeless shelter for women
- 1 year as microbiology tutor

LOR: 1. Current PI who is credited with the discovery of Lyme disease, faculty of Harvard Med 2. College thesis/public health advisor 3. college biology professor

Interests: Infectious disease epidemiology & healthcare associated infections

Applied: Harvard- SM 80 Epi (11/18), GWU- PHMEI (12/6), Yale- MPH EMD (12/11), Brown- MSc Epi (12/18), BU- MS Epi (12/18), Umass- MS Epi (12/26), UAlbany- MPH Biomedical Sciences (1/2)
Accepted:
Rejected:

Longtime lurker here—figured I’d join in now that I’m finally hearing back from some programs!

Undergrad School
: Small liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56
Major/Minor: Biochemistry and Public Health (Pre-Med)
MCAT: Chem/Phys: 128 CARS: 126 Bio/Biochem: 129 Psych/Soc: 128 Total: 511 (84th percentile)
Experience/Research:
-Biological anthropology research w college professor (~2 semesters) and presentation at undergraduate poster presentation (AAA Annual Conference)
-Summer research internship at UMass Medical Shool in Biochem lab
-Summer internship at non-profit in Washington, DC w independent research focusing on best practices in health communication
-Internship/senior thesis research (2 semesters) at Needle Exchange Program focusing on effectiveness/appropriateness of harm reduction education resources for active injection drug users
-Part-time job as EMT (paid—3 years)/acted as student director of squad (volunteer—2 years)
-Full-time job as Harm Reduction Counselor at Needle Exchange Program (8 months post-grad)
-Full-time job as Nursing Assistant at VA Hospital (8 months post-grad)
-Full-time job as medical assistant at private optometry practice (5 months post-grad)
LOR:
-Advisor/biology professor
-Advisor/anthropology professor
-Supervisor from internship/job at needle exchange
Interests: Only applying to 1-year MPH programs to fill my gap-year (2019-2020) in between now and med school (applying in June for 2020-2021 academic year). Mostly interested in healthcare delivery, systems of oppression, and health disparities in the US.

Applying: Johns Hopkins, NYU Cross-Continental, and Dartmouth (all verified 11/30)
Interviewing: Dartmouth (heard back 12/20–interview on 1/17)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Accepted:
NYU Cross-Continental (1/14)

Did anyone else get into the Cross-Continental Program? I’ve read the infamous reddit post, so I obviously have my reservations, but the program seems interesting. I’d like to consider it, but they gave me a deadline of Feb. 1st which seems like much too soon—especially when I’m still waiting to hear back from other programs!

Whoa what a read. I had never heard of the program but that was a scaaathing review. Having lots of friends and family who went/go to NYU, I’ve heard frequently that the administration is terribly run and the price gouging is endless. To be fair to NYU, it is a fairly new program and they did respond to the post, they might be working to improve it.

A Feb 1 deadline seems really soon. Have they given you information about financial aid? I got an earlier deadline from CUNY and when I explained that I’m waiting to hear back from more schools, they extended it for me. It might be worth asking if you still want to consider the program

Did anyone ever figure out how to access Columbia's application tracker? The link has been broken for months, and I remember someone on here mentioning they'd reach out, but I don't think I ever saw a follow up.

Did anyone ever figure out how to access Columbia's application tracker? The link has been broken for months, and I remember someone on here mentioning they'd reach out, but I don't think I ever saw a follow up.
I thought those trackers were just to follow the different components of our application to see if they were received, not an official admissions tracker. I (and I think most other people?) lost access once they had received all of my materials. I could be wrong about this though!

Speaking of Columbia, MPH admissions decisions are expected to be released next week! Good luck to all Columbia hopefuls!!!

Some information from the "This is Public Health" Virtual Chat today:

- Columbia will start releasing MPH admission decisions next week.
- Yale MPH admission decisions will be released on March 1 (that's a long time from now :-( ). The video questionnaire is only for MPH applicants who need to submit TOEFL score.
- JHU MSPH typically takes 8-10 weeks to review - although when I went to their Open House in the fall, they said that admission decisions will be released by the end of January.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 11 users
There's a chat room going on at ASPPH, like a get-to-know universities PH programs via chat! Someone had asked and this was the response! What have you applied for?
Omg wait what? How did you hear this?

There's a chat room going on at ASPPH, like a get-to-know universities PH programs via chat! Someone had asked and this was the response! What have you applied for?

I applied for HPM with the Health Policy Analysis certificate. I just had my interview a few days ago so I might not be in the first wave. But here’s hoping! What’s your dept?

Also thank you for clarifying the video questionnaire Q, I know that a lot of people were concerned about not having received one.

Reactions: 2 users

- Yale MPH admission decisions will be released on March 1 (that's a long time from now :-( ). The video questionnaire is only for MPH applicants who need to submit TOEFL score.
- JHU MSPH typically takes 8-10 weeks to review - although when I went to their Open House in the fall, they said that admission decisions will be released by the end of January.

Hope this helps!

Sorry I misattributed the information, thank you for the update on the Yale questionnaire

Hope this helps!

Thank you so so much!

Undergrad School: Foreign Medical School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.74 (WES)
Major/Minor: MBBS, medicine & surgery
GRE (October,2018) V 151 (52%), Q 157 (65%), Writing 3.5 (41%) TOEFL 112/120
- Palliative caregiver for terminally ill patients in regional hospice
- Founded a non-profit for health campaigns in West Africa
- Volunteered with a new york based NGO to organize a fundraising event to donate Malaria test vaccines to countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Presented on ensuring good sanitation and water as a priority for the new development goals at UN general assembly
- Volunteered as a Lab assistant in a microbiology lab.
- Duke of Edinburgh International award recipient

Special factors: Multilingual, First generation college student. Held many leadership positions in college and community.
Letter of Recommendations:
Strong LORs from my college dean, Professor/ Research supervisor, Community leader

Interested in: HIV/AIDS and Infectious Diseases research, Disease prevention
Applied (include the date of application):
West Chester (12/17 - Community Health)
GWU (12/21 - Health Promotion)
WashU (12/28 - Global Health)
UPitt (01/03 - Inf. Diseases and Microb)
Drexel (01/04 - Comm Health and Prevention)
London SHTM (01/15 - MPH)

Accepted: West Chester(01/07), WashU+Hopkins scholarship+need-based award$$$(01/14), Drexel+dean's scholarship$$(01/15), UPitt IDM(01/16), GWU+ dean's scholarship+institutional grant$$$(01/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting to hear back from UMich? I applied to their HBHE program and am still waiting to hear back, although it sounds like a lot of people on here received acceptances last week (not a good sign for me :nailbiting:).

So far I have just heard back from Emory and UNC (both acceptances!).

Congrats. How did you find out about your scholarship offer at WashU? Did it come with your acceptance letter?

Thanks! WashU sent me an email stating that I was accepted. The email included a portal to my official acceptance letter, which included a scholarship offer.

For those of you accepted into TU, have you done anything for funding yet?

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from UMich? I applied to their HBHE program and am still waiting to hear back, although it sounds like a lot of people on here received acceptances last week (not a good sign for me :nailbiting:).

So far I have just heard back from Emory and UNC (both acceptances!).

Same boat :(
I applied in Oct and got Wolverine Access/confirmation in Nov.

Is this a tracker to see if materials have been received, or to monitor the status of the application?

The tracker only monitors whether the committee has received all of your materials. We will be notified of our decisions via email. Best wishes!