MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an acceptance from UW!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I emailed admissions at USF to see if they had an idea of when I should expect to receive an official decision [I received a "recommended for admission" email 4 weeks ago (although 1 week of that was winter break, whoops)], and the assistant director of graduate admissions asked me to call the office tomorrow to discuss the recommendation... So my impatience brought more anxiety. :yeahright:
This is the most nerve-wracking "we have to talk" text I've ever gotten haha

Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted to University of Kentucky MPH in Health Behavior. Scholarships decision said to come out January ending. Anyone else applied to UK?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I complain for a second... I just spent so long filling out that CSS financial aid profile that GW requires to give you aid and entered my parents info (when I'm financially independent adult). Just to find at the end the application that it costs $25. I'm sorry what? FAFSA is FREE why couldn't they just use that??

Reactions: 13 users
Can I complain for a second... I just spent so long filling out that CSS financial aid profile that GW requires to give you aid and entered my parents info (when I'm financially independent adult). Just to find at the end the application that it costs $25. I'm sorry what? FAFSA is FREE why couldn't they just use that??

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Two acceptance letters in 1 hour, Icahn MPH and UCLA MS in Epi, ”debates are coming”:heckyeah:

Reactions: 10 users
Two acceptance letters in 1 hour, Icahn MPH and UCLA MS in Epi, ”debates are coming”:heckyeah:
Congrats! :) Do you know if Icahn sends out info about merit scholarships with the acceptance or later?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! :) Do you know if Icahn sends out info about merit scholarships with the acceptance or later?

Thanks :) I talked to Katrien Mattis yesterday, and she told me that scholarships(5k-15k) will be released in March.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations!! When did you hear back from UNC/when were you verified/what department?

Thanks! I submitted the supplemental graduate school app for UNC's Health Behavior program on 12/3 (I can't remember the exact date my application was verified), and I received my admission decision from the UNC graduate school on 12/20. I haven't received communication from Gillings directly yet but was told I should receive an email this week with more info.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I got my acceptance to UNC this morning!

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting on the rest of these verryyy sloowww program decisions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my acceptance email to UNC MPH-Health Policy program today!! I applied on 11/29!

Thanks :) I talked to Katrien Mattis yesterday, and she told me that scholarships(5k-15k) will be released in March.

Hope to see you here :) lmk if you have any questions!

Undergrad School: University of Georgia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.67 overall/ 3.97 major
Major/Minor: Wildlife Science
GRE V 158 (76%), Q 152 (51%), Writing 4.5 (86%)

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Research technician on a zoonotic disease project investigating the transmission of Newcastle Disease between songbirds and domestic poultry and humans
- Senior thesis candidate; investigating copepods as intermediate hosts of Guinea Worm
- Veterinary assistant

Letter of Recommendations:
A veterinarian I work under, my research advisor, my manager at work, my professor from my study abroad last summer

Interested in: Veterinary epi, zoonotic disease prevention

Applied (include the date of application):
University of Georgia (my in state)- verified 12/28
Colorado State University- verified 12/28

Accepted: Still waiting
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Just got my first acceptance to UT Houston for Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Is anyone thinking about attending Emory's admitted students day? I know that they should be releasing info about the event in the coming weeks, but I was just wondering if anyone had any details about it in general, such as info from past years?

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone thinking about attending Emory's admitted students day? I know that they should be releasing info about the event in the coming weeks, but I was just wondering if anyone had any details about it in general, such as info from past years?
I think I'm going to attend (if they offer travel stipends. SF to ATL is not cheap lol) It's going to be March 28-29th I believe.

Whoa what a read. I had never heard of the program but that was a scaaathing review. Having lots of friends and family who went/go to NYU, I’ve heard frequently that the administration is terribly run and the price gouging is endless. To be fair to NYU, it is a fairly new program and they did respond to the post, they might be working to improve it.

A Feb 1 deadline seems really soon. Have they given you information about financial aid? I got an earlier deadline from CUNY and when I explained that I’m waiting to hear back from more schools, they extended it for me. It might be worth asking if you still want to consider the program
I was given a 19k scholarship... The program is definitely the most expensive on my list though, so even that doesn't bring the price down much. I emailed them and they extended my deadline to 3/1! So that's a relief.

Just saw on my personalized JHU page I was accepted to the full-time MPH (11 month) program! Haven't received an email yet. Does anyone know if they tell you about funding in your acceptance email?

Reactions: 8 users
I think I'm going to attend (if they offer travel stipends. SF to ATL is not cheap lol) It's going to be March 28-29th I believe.

I can't find anything from last years or this years that says they do. I am from the same area of the country so it would be great if they did.

I’m definitely planning on going! I have a friend whose actually completing her first year and she sent me the itinerary from last years event. If it’s anything like last years it’ll be amazing. I tried to include a web link, but will also attach screenshots from my phone. (https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21...160a6478d7d7b0daeceaa6af200f&oe=5C41E6BE&dl=1)

Also, from speaking with Kara Robinson at Emory, there should definitely be funds available although they’re based on a mini-app analyzing financial need and aren’t guaranteed. For Destination Public Health, my award covered about half my flight from LAX to ATL.

It also seems like they have student hosts for Thursday and Friday nights!

Attachments

• 59B4FB54-70E1-44E6-AC3B-CBFB25A68D7B.png
    59B4FB54-70E1-44E6-AC3B-CBFB25A68D7B.png
    345 KB · Views: 70
  • 4828FC3D-561B-42CB-8021-7CD50454EBFF.png
    4828FC3D-561B-42CB-8021-7CD50454EBFF.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 026B61CF-496E-4B2D-BB14-82E860BD5FC6.png
    026B61CF-496E-4B2D-BB14-82E860BD5FC6.png
    339.4 KB · Views: 54
also, travel funds are reimbursed a few weeks after the event! They’ll send you an email requesting copies of receipts and can either mail you a check or do direct deposit!

Reactions: 3 users
also, travel funds are reimbursed a few weeks after the event! They’ll send you an email requesting copies of receipts and can either mail you a check or do direct deposit!
This is all really helpful! Thank you!

I am also planning on attending Visit Emory, I will be coming from southern California

I would be open to coordinating plans with everyone on here planning on attending to grab drinks/dinner for a more informal meet and greet!

Reactions: 9 users
I am also planning on attending Visit Emory, I will be coming from southern California

I would be open to coordinating plans with everyone on here planning on attending to grab drinks/dinner for a more informal meet and greet!
I'm coming from SoCal too!! I'm down for a meetup :)

Sent from my LGMP260 using SDN mobile

I’m definitely planning on going! I have a friend whose actually completing her first year and she sent me the itinerary from last years event. If it’s anything like last years it’ll be amazing. I tried to include a web link, but will also attach screenshots from my phone. (https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21...160a6478d7d7b0daeceaa6af200f&oe=5C41E6BE&dl=1)

Also, from speaking with Kara Robinson at Emory, there should definitely be funds available although they’re based on a mini-app analyzing financial need and aren’t guaranteed. For Destination Public Health, my award covered about half my flight from LAX to ATL.

It also seems like they have student hosts for Thursday and Friday nights!
I went last year and can confirm that they absolutely provide grants for travel, however, the max you can apply for is $250, but its better than nothing! :p Last years was amazing and I went both days.

Since I deferred to fall 2019, I'm thinking about going again but only that Friday, so hope to see you all there!

I'm from Northern California! :D

Last edited:
Accepted to UNC for Health Behavior today! Tough decision to make between Emory and UNC now..

Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone committed to Emory? If so, thoughts on housing, living in ATL, etc.?

Has anyone committed to Emory? If so, thoughts on housing, living in ATL, etc.?
I committed to Emory last year and will be attending this fall and received a lot of insight into the cost of living in Atlanta.

To start, here is a link to Emory's Cost of Living guide that includes budgeting, choosing affordable housing, and even transportation costs: Rollins School of Public Health | Cost of Living in Atlanta

Places to live in Atlanta near Emory (posted by another poster from 2018 forum):
  • Inman Park
  • Little Five Points
  • Decatur
  • East Atlanta Village
  • Kirkwood
  • Oakhurst
  • Candler Park
  • Virginia Highland
  • Villa International Atlanta
    • half a mile walking from Rollins, and bang opposite the CDC for those interested in working there.
    • Utilities, washing, and housekeeping are part of the fee
    • the hosts at Villa are incredibly warm and helpful.
  • Grant Park
  • Cabbagetown
Here is a copy and paste of more info and notes on neighborhoods around Emory that were posted in last year's forum, you're welcome to look through it if you want:
  • Little Five Points, Inman Park, Decatur, Grant Park, Virginia Highland are all neighborhoods accessible to Emory with restaurants, bars, cafes, grocery stores, theaters, and parks that don't require driving alongside commuters.
  • Emory Woods Apartments near N Decatur/Clairmont
  • Smaller complexes on Briarcliff and Ponce de Leon.
  • Also, for people looking at Emory who don't have cars - look at the free commuter shuttle routes and narrow down your housing options along those routes. transportation.emory.edu/shuttles/index.html
  • Google "Emory's Cliff Shuttles"
    • Look under "Commuter Routes.
  • Live in Decatur and have a short shuttle ride to campus
  • Decatur is on the MARTA line, so if you lived there, you could get most places in Atlanta
  • Decatur that has a nice restaurant/bar scene and taking the shuttle in

Last edited:

I'm coming from SoCal too!! I'm down for a meetup :)

Sent from my LGMP260 using SDN mobile

Would definitely be down to try and work something out! I really really enjoyed Rollins for Destination Public Health and could totally see myself there.

I committed to Emory last year and will be attending this fall and received a lot of insight into the cost of living in Atlanta.

To start, here is a link to Emory's Cost of Living guide that includes budgeting, choosing affordable housing, and even transportation costs: Rollins School of Public Health | Cost of Living in Atlanta

Places to live in Atlanta near Emory (posted by another poster from 2018 forum):
  • Inman Park
  • Little Five Points
  • Decatur
  • East Atlanta Village
  • Kirkwood
  • Oakhurst
  • Candler Park
  • Virginia Highland
  • Villa International Atlanta
    • half a mile walking from Rollins, and bang opposite the CDC for those interested in working there.
    • Utilities, washing, and housekeeping are part of the fee
    • the hosts at Villa are incredibly warm and helpful.
  • Grant Park
  • Cabbagetown
Here is a copy and paste of more info and notes on neighborhoods around Emory that were posted in last year's forum, you're welcome to look through it if you want:
  • Little Five Points, Inman Park, Decatur, Grant Park, Virginia Highland are all neighborhoods accessible to Emory with restaurants, bars, cafes, grocery stores, theaters, and parks that don't require driving alongside commuters.
  • Emory Woods Apartments near N Decatur/Clairmont
  • Smaller complexes on Briarcliff and Ponce de Leon.
  • Also, for people looking at Emory who don't have cars - look at the free commuter shuttle routes and narrow down your housing options along those routes. transportation.emory.edu/shuttles/index.html
  • Google "Emory's Cliff Shuttles"
    • Look under "Commuter Routes.
  • Live in Decatur and have a short shuttle ride to campus
  • Decatur is on the MARTA line, so if you lived there, you could get most places in Atlanta
  • Decatur that has a nice restaurant/bar scene and taking the shuttle in

Thanks a bunch for posting this! Im still waiting to hear from a few schools but atm of the schools I have heard back from and most excited about Emory. Being a fellow Bruin I’m definitely attracted to the lower rents and costs of living I’ve heard from plenty of people that ATL offers! Westwood is killer ‍♀️

Hi all! Joining in on the fun here - have a feeling that the next couple of weeks will be very telling for us all. I've recently gotten into GW's Global Environmental Health program and i'm stoked, they have a new food institute offering courses in food security and seem to be really amping things up. Feeling a bit behind on BU and Cornell.....

Undergrad School: University at Albany, 2015
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.49 / 2.51
Major/Minor: Globalization + Political Science (Double Major) / Health and Human Rights
GRE: V: 154 (65%) Q: 152 (42%) AW: 4.0 (59%) taken in 2015
- Global Health Corps Fellow working in Sexual and Reproductive Health in Zambia
- worked for NGO's in rural Malawi for 2 years total
- worked for NGO's in rural Nepal/Cambodia for 1 year total
- started with peace corps (health volunteer) before resigning and staying in country
- internship with health and human rights organization in uni
- service learning in Cambodia in a health/human rights course

LOR: 2 professional supervisors, 1 from supervisor in university internship
Interests: environmental health, agriculture, food security, sexual and reproductive health

Applied to: (All on 11/29) Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, GWU, UW, Cornell, Tulane, BU
Accepted: Tulane (12/4) GWU (12/21)
Rejected: BU (1/17), UW (1/28)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
That is so interesting - my stats are almost identical to yours, and my school list includes GW, Tulane, Harvard and BU. I also submitted all on 11/29, heard from Tulane on 12/4. I submitted BU on 12/5 and heard 12/21; but still have not heard from GW! Good luck.

Hi all! Joining in on the fun here - have a feeling that the next couple of weeks will be very telling for us all. I've recently gotten into GW's Global Environmental Health program and i'm stoked, they have a new food institute offering courses in food security and seem to be really amping things up. Feeling a bit behind on BU and Cornell.....

Undergrad School: University at Albany, 2015
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.0 / 3.0
Major/Minor: Globalization + Political Science (Double Major) / Health and Human Rights
GRE: V: 154 (65%) Q: 152 (42%) AW: 4.0 (59%) taken in 2015
- Global Health Corps Fellow working in Sexual and Reproductive Health in Zambia
- worked for NGO's in rural Malawi for 2 years total
- worked for NGO's in rural Nepal/Cambodia for 1 year total
- started with peace corps (health volunteer) before resigning and staying in country
- internship with health and human rights organization in uni
- service learning in Cambodia in a health/human rights course

LOR: 2 professional supervisors, 1 from supervisor in university internship
Interests: environmental health, agriculture, food security, sexual and reproductive health

Applied to: (All on 11/29) Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, GWU, UW, Cornell, Tulane, BU
Accepted: Tulane (12/4) GWU (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Would definitely be down to try and work something out! I really really enjoyed Rollins for Destination Public Health and could totally see myself there.
I'm also down for hanging out if I decide to go to Visit Emory again (most likely will :p)!

Thanks a bunch for posting this! Im still waiting to hear from a few schools but atm of the schools I have heard back from and most excited about Emory. Being a fellow Bruin I’m definitely attracted to the lower rents and costs of living I’ve heard from plenty of people that ATL offers! Westwood is killer ‍♀️

Awesome to see a fellow Bruin!!! :D I hear you, Westwood was crazy and the rent rates were ridiculous! I'm so excited for the lower costs of ATL and saving money! lol

I'll likely be visiting Emory as well and coming from Maryland! It's great to hear that they have student hosts for both days

I am DYING to hear back from the last few programs. I've spent a good chunk of time last night rereading last years thread to see WHEN Hopkins MSPH acceptances started coming out.

Fun Fact: noticed it seems like Epi is almost always the first department to start releasing acceptance from most schools, made me really wish I was Epi.

Haven't officially booked any flights for Visit Emory but debating about arriving mid-day Wednesday and leaving early Sat or arriving Wednesday night and staying until mid-day Sat! If anyone else is possible staying a little longer maybe we can grab dinner or lunch or something!

I feel so undecided and worried, although I have heard from 7 out of 14 universities which I’ve applied. These months are going to be my most challenging ones so far! While I’m waiting for hearing from JHU, UNC, Harvard, etc., my biggest concern is merit-based scholarships from previous accepted programs, without which I cannot afford or even survive the 2-years tuition and living expenses. What do you think guys? How much chance do I have for scholarships? What is happening in your mind these days? Receiving More acceptances or Scholarships? :)

Just checked my Wolverine Access, was accepted to UMich's MPH-HMP!! No email yet...