MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who heard from columbia about financial aid packages, how were you notified? email? or just checked the portal
notified via email to log into the portal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been able to find a curriculum page for the Johns Hopkins MSPH? I found the layout for the MPH, but I am having a hard time finding the specific MSPH program.
Which department were you accepted to? I was accepted into an International Health MSPH and the department website provides an Academic Guide outlining the course selections and timelines for each MSPH and MHS degree. However, not every department has such clear-cut info.

Which department were you accepted to? I was accepted into an International Health MSPH and the department website provides an Academic Guide outlining the course selections and timelines for each MSPH and MHS degree. However, not every department has such clear-cut info.
I was also accepted into the International Health MSPH. Thanks so much, I kept glancing over the Academic Guide!

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who heard from columbia about financial aid packages, how were you notified? email? or just checked the portal
I got an email to check the portal for the merit scholarship and then the financial aid package came as a separate email

Hello guys. So the season is over for me. I applied to two programs only (Harvard MPH & John Hopkins MPH) and I was accepted in both in the last week. I am way more inclined towards Harvard for many issues. Any convincing reasons I might be missing to go for Hopkins rather than Harvard? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Further, I would really be glad to get in touch with anyone of you here planning to attend the next Harvard MPH-Epi class. It will be wise to share some thoughts and help each other planning. Please DM me if interested to talk about this.

Thanks,

Reactions: 4 users
Hey y'all, I recently made this spreadsheet to help me decide between PhD programs. I thought some of you might find it useful as well. File --> Download As --> Excel to make an editable copy for yourself. "Lab factors" isn't super relevant to MPH programs, so I'd definitely suggest eliminating or changing that category to something else (maybe Networking?).

Reactions: 23 users
Hey y'all, I recently made this spreadsheet to help me decide between PhD programs. I thought some of you might find it useful as well. File --> Download As --> Excel to make an editable copy for yourself. "Lab factors" isn't super relevant to MPH programs, so I'd definitely suggest eliminating or changing that category to something else (maybe Networking?).

This is awesome!! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks again for your perfect Excel file :) Could you please tell us how to identify and evaluate the "productivity", "facilities", and even "current student opinions" and Cohort size?
As an international student outside the U.S., without the possibility of visiting and attending the admitted students days, I will be really appreciated if you and other friends help to complete this common factors because they are likely to be the same for all of us.

Thanks again for your perfect Excel file :) Could you please tell us how to identify and evaluate the "productivity", "facilities", and even "current student opinions" and Cohort size?
As an international student outside the U.S., without the possibility of visiting and attending the admitted students days, I will be really appreciated if you and other friends help to complete this common factors because they are likely to be the same for all of us.

I actually think it's all pretty personal! Well, maybe not productivity and facilities. By productivity, I mean how many studies/papers/grants the program is bringing in in relation to the number of faculty and researchers. Facilities are how nice the buildings are-- a lot of times public health is in the basement of a med school, for example, or there's no common space for students to work. I think for both of those people can figure them out by looking at school's websites and emailing current students. Current students' opinions and cohort sizes are definitely more personal/individual. One student's negative might be another's positive. I know I do better in a small environment, but some people feel constrained or isolated with only a few dozen other students in their program, for instance.

Basically, I think it is really, really important to connect with current students and ask about what's important to you. You should be able to email a program coordinator (or similar staff) at any school and ask them to connect you with current students. If they can't or if students don't respond, that definitely tells you something about that program. I'm happy to talk to anyone about Brown and I think there are other current students on here you can PM about their schools.

ALSO I just realized I didn't put tuition on the file!! Everyone should add that when they download it. I didn't apply to PhD programs that don't fully cover tuition, so I just had a "funding" row. But it's very rare to get tuition fully covered for an MPH, and I don't think any schools give full funding (stipend, health insurance, etc.)

Was accepted to the JHSP Accelerated MPH. I guess they do take 8 weeks since verification. They are the only school that has not sent me an email to say they received my application, was thinking it was lost/incomplete somehow.

Reactions: 7 users
Did anyone receive or have any information regarding financial aid from UCLA?

Is anyone attending UW for their Epi visit days at the end of this month?

Did anyone receive or have any information regarding financial aid from UCLA?

My acceptance (both from the department and from the graduate division) did not mention any financial aid/merit scholarships. Definitely hoping that information is still coming, because UCLA is a top choice for me!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My acceptance (both from the department and from the graduate division) did not mention any financial aid/merit scholarships. Definitely hoping that information is still coming, because UCLA is a top choice for me!

Same here!

Did anyone applying for health policy apply to any MPP programs?

Visit Emory registration just opened today! I just registered for both days!

My newfound excitement for that visit is making me forget about my anxiety of not hearing back from a handful of other programs yet. I heard back from some so quickly, and the rest of the process seems to be dragging on. I'd honestly rather just find out that I didn't get in than have to wait much longer and delay my final decision.

Reactions: 9 users

My newfound excitement for that visit is making me forget about my anxiety of not hearing back from a handful of other programs yet. I heard back from some so quickly, and the rest of the process seems to be dragging on. I'd honestly rather just find out that I didn't get in than have to wait much longer and delay my final decision.

ME A THOUSAND TIMES!!! I probably tell my coworker that everyday.

Reactions: 3 users
got my BU pkg today. was accepted 1/19 for reference

In the same boat! I’m forgetting some of the unresponded programs! Which programs are you waiting for? I’m seriously thinking to commit to UMN Epi MPH. I know you are living there, I’ll be appreciated if you share your viewpoint with me:) it's about one month that I'm searching about Minneapolis, Minnesota Nice, Freezzzing winters, and I got impressed by the sophisticated behavior of the UMN faculty and staffs, and even its highly informative website!! I’ve read in your previous comments that UMN is your 4th choice, and I’m so curious about the reason unless you just wanna move away from Minnesota for a while.

Hey guys,

Congrats on all of your acceptances! I have been accepted to GW, U of A, and Colorado SPH and am still waiting to hear back from several other universities. I was curious as to how long it took most of you to receive financial aid packages? Has anyone heard of negotiating aid packages? I heard back from GW and am leaning towards my two other options at the moment, so please feel free to share any news about financial aid if anyone has heard back from the schools listed above.

Also for clarification, when people have referenced U of A, are we talking about Arizona or Albany?

Hello everyone~ I've been a long-time lurker who has found a lot of comfort in reading this forum throughout the application process. I thought I'd go ahead and join the conversation and excitement since I received my first acceptance today, wooo!! Congrats to everyone on your admissions decisions!

Undergrad School
: UCI (graduated June 2017)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56
Major: Public Health Policy, Psychology & Social Behavior
GRE: 157 V, 153 Q, 3.5 W (September 2018)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 1.5 years CDC Public Health Associate Program
- Internships (3-6 months each) working with workplace wellness, child abuse services, adults w/ down syndrome
- Extracurricular stuff - campus tour guide, summer orientation leader, sorority leadership, front desk job at ESL office

LOR:
my CDC supervisor, my epidemiology center supervisor, professor of a public health class I really enjoyed (whom I had only started talking to post-graduation 2 years after taking her class bc I was shy lol)

Interests: community wellness, mental health, program management, culturally responsive care, sustainability

Applied: UC Berkeley - Health & Social Behavior (12/1), UCLA - Community Health Sciences (12/1), UC Irvine - Sociocultural Diversity and Health (12/8)
Accepted: UCLA (2/11), UCI (2/15), Berkeley (2/19)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just registered for Visit Emory! Haven't booked my flight yet, but it looks to be fairly expensive. Is anyone staying Friday night/flying out Saturday? I'm trying to figure out when to book my return flight.

Edit: I just booked my flights. I'm flying in Wednesday and out late Friday night. It's a bit more expensive than I would've hoped, but getting hopefully something in a travel grant and not having to pay for a hotel (signing up to stay with a student) should mitigate it a bit.

Last edited:
Just registered for Visit Emory! Haven't booked my flight yet, but it looks to be fairly expensive. Is anyone staying Friday night/flying out Saturday? I'm trying to figure out when to book my return flight.
I have to fly in on Wednesday (full day of travel including time change) and fly out on Saturday in order to attend both days too. I am coming from California, though, so I don't know if other states have better flight options.

Emory is doing travel grants again for Visit Emory! Also offering possible housing with a student if indicated!

I have to fly in on Wednesday (full day of travel including time change) and fly out on Saturday in order to attend both days too. I am coming from California, though, so I don't know if other states have better flight options.

I’m doing the exact same thing! I’m flying to and from LAX. You?

I applied to GW, Harvard, and BU for MPH in policy, then Brandeis for MPP. Still waiting on a few schools but trying to figure out the best path!
Wait whoa I haven't encountered anyone else applying to Heller! What are your thoughts on the program?

I received the same email and they asked me to check my portal. In my portal stated I was accepted though. So i am not sure which one is true now.
Mine hasn't changed. I would thank that's good news! Congrats!

Is anyone waiting for SOMETHING?! I am still waiting for a reply back from any school I applied for. My anxiety is killing me....

Is anyone waiting for SOMETHING?! I am still waiting for a reply back from any school I applied for. My anxiety is killing me....
Where did you apply? Still waiting to hear back from U Arizona and University of Illinois-Chicago, so I feel you bud.

Where did you apply? Still waiting to hear back from U Arizona and University of Illinois-Chicago, so I feel you bud.

Back confirmed about 2 weeks ago and submitted back in January. Good luck for both of us! I am waiting for Berk and Columbia.

Is there anyone who is experiencing trouble logging in to myHarvard portal since yesterday? When I try to login, the page just refreshes and the login page is displayed again.

I am also feeling anxious, still waiting for UCLA, UCI, and SDSU (all for Epidemiology)

Hey guys,

Congrats on all of your acceptances! I have been accepted to GW, U of A, and Colorado SPH and am still waiting to hear back from several other universities. I was curious as to how long it took most of you to receive financial aid packages? Has anyone heard of negotiating aid packages? I heard back from GW and am leaning towards my two other options at the moment, so please feel free to share any news about financial aid if anyone has heard back from the schools listed above.

Also for clarification, when people have referenced U of A, are we talking about Arizona or Albany?
Albany is called UA, U at A, or UAlbany, there are too many schools with this abbreviation! I did undergrad there

Hello everyone~ I've been a long-time lurker who has found a lot of comfort in reading this forum throughout the application process. I thought I'd go ahead and join the conversation and excitement since I received my first acceptance today, wooo!! Congrats to everyone on your admissions decisions!

Undergrad School
: UCI (graduated June 2017)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56
Major: Public Health Policy, Psychology & Social Behavior
GRE: 157 V, 153 Q, 3.5 W (September 2018)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 1.5 years CDC Public Health Associate Program
- Internships (3-6 months each) working with workplace wellness, child abuse services, adults w/ down syndrome
- Extracurricular stuff - campus tour guide, summer orientation leader, sorority leadership, front desk job at ESL office

LOR:
my CDC supervisor, my epidemiology center supervisor, professor of a public health class I really enjoyed (whom I had only started talking to post-graduation 2 years after taking her class bc I was shy lol)

Interests: community wellness, mental health, program management, culturally responsive care, sustainability

Applied: UC Berkeley - Health & Social Behavior (12/1), UCLA - Community Health Sciences (12/1), UCI - Sociocultural Diversity and Health (12/8)
Accepted: UCLA (2/11)

Congrats on your acceptance! I just had to respond because your username and picture made me laugh out loud at work, so thanks for that :rofl:

I just registered for Visit Emory as well! I'll be only attending the Friday event, but I'm still stoked! See y'all there!

Last edited:
Wait whoa I haven't encountered anyone else applying to Heller! What are your thoughts on the program?
I thought it looked like a great program but now the price tag is intimidating me a bit... why did you choose not to apply there?

I just registered for Visit Emory as well! I'll be attending only the Friday event, but I'm still stoked! See y'all there!
I registered, too! Only attending the Friday event, but coming in early to spend a good day or so exploring some different neighborhoods. It's not much time, but I don't think I will be able to come visit again before having to find housing and relocate (you know, in the event I luck out with aid and I can actually afford the program).

still hadn't heard anything in terms of scholarships from GW but I hear that they're releasing another batch of notifications today.... fingers crossed!

Reactions: 4 users
still hadn't heard anything in terms of scholarships from GW but I hear that they're releasing another batch of notifications today.... fingers crossed!
That would be great...where did you hear that?

I thought it looked like a great program but now the price tag is intimidating me a bit... why did you choose not to apply there?
Sorry if I was unclear, I am applying. Alumni and local employers who are familiar with them speak very highly of the program and it seemed to be a very strong/close community with a good health policy program. I haven’t heard back yet but the more I think on it, the less likely I am to accept because they don’t have a great alumni network in NYC (where I want to end up.)

A rep told me that they award merit aid to the majority of students so I hope that happens for you

Edit: I just booked my flights. I'm flying in Wednesday and out late Friday night. It's a bit more expensive than I would've hoped, but getting hopefully something in a travel grant and not having to pay for a hotel (signing up to stay with a student) should mitigate it a bit.

Aw, I almost flew out of LAX but I am in Orange County and was able to get a decent deal out of John Wayne with American Airlines. I will do almost anything to avoid LAX haha. The only 'bummer' is my flight out isn't until early evening on Saturday, so i'll have to find something to do that day before going to the airport.

Sorry if I was unclear, I am applying. Alumni and local employers who are familiar with them speak very highly of the program and it seemed to be a very strong/close community with a good health policy program. I haven’t heard back yet but the more I think on it, the less likely I am to accept because they don’t have a great alumni network in NYC (where I want to end up.)

A rep told me that they award merit aid to the majority of students so I hope that happens for you
Ah ok! Good luck with all of your applications then!! I was worried that I had missed something wrong with the program, if no one else applied :) glad to hear that’s not the case. Brandeis is my number one choice currently - I’m in the Boston area already and would like to stay here, and the program itself seems like exactly what I was looking for. My biggest drawback is how expensive it is, as I’m not sure that I’m comfortable going that far into debt ($100k+). That being said, you are correct - I’ve heard the merit packages are generous so I’m hopeful it works out! It’s been about 4 weeks since the deadline so fingers crossed we hear soon.

Congrats on your acceptance! I just had to respond because your username and picture made me laugh out loud at work, so thanks for that :rofl:
happy to bring a little joy to the day :)