Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by el.mo19, Jul 16, 2018.

1. health108

Other Health Professions Student
    I was accepted into Icahn school of Medicine (Mount Sinai)'s MPH program. I wanted to get an opinion on how the program is like. How does it compare to schools like Emory?

x0n and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  2. eskiiit

This was me and literally took a toll on my physical and mental well being. As dumb as it sounds, I took up reading for fun again as well as forcing myself to stay outdoors or do yoga. It helped, a ton. I got into my top so I'm better now, but I feel your pain on a personal level. This process has not been fun at all. Hang in there!!!

3. kmart9706

A "no" from Hopkins yesterday and a "yes" from UCLA (CHS), both of which I expected. But the real surprise—and bummer—was no aid from Columbia. I can't say I was expecting a merit scholarship because I know they don't give out much, but I thought I was a competitive candidate and got my hopes up. Columbia's one of my top choices. Realistically, though, I'd have to consider deferring. Building up some more savings in the coming year would make it more manageable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Nb30, keeks23, MPAfya_19 and 4 others like this.
  4. MuppetLord

Based on previous years' threads it looks like the 50% refers to the reduction from two years of tuition (so about $32k). Congrats! Getting that much of a scholarship for an MPH is huge.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JDGBruin1317 and Abbah like this.
  5. Memm77

Thanks:) I don’t wanna be ungrateful, but I think that’s not enough to convince me to attend GW! My research interest is Cardiovascular Epi which is not focused in GW, also even with 32k scholarship, final price would be almost 47k, and at the moment I think Yale 1-year CDE program (45k), UMN MPH (56k), Harvard 1-year SM in Epi (58k), and even JHU MHS (68k) reasonably seem more attractive due to their reputation, more diverse research interests, and better prospective opportunities.

I will really appreciate any comments —especially in the opposite viewpoint—about this comparison between GW and the others with taking its 47k tuition into consideration.

#1505 Memm77, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    MuppetLord and keeks23 like this.
  6. BeHappy97

The past year’s tuition was about $30,000 per year so the $16,000 per semester is actually a little more than 50%

Memm77 likes this.
  7. Memm77

Do you mean that we should only pay 28k for 2 years?
    To my knowledge, they calculate tuition per credit and for a 45 credits MPH, final tuition and fees will be somewhat close to 80k for 2 years. (each credit is 1750$)
    Therefore, 32k is almost 40%, isn't it?
    https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/Final MISPH FY20 Tuition for SAO.pdf

#1507 Memm77, Feb 9, 2019
    BeHappy97 likes this.
  8. Greentree1

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    For anyone who applied to JHU MPH without a science background or work experience, what courses did you do to fulfill the 'Intro to Biology - college level' course requirement? I am guessing many must have done something online? Any leads on this/online courses? Many thanks in advance!

emkay1118 likes this.
  9. BeHappy97

I think the difference in our calculations is based mostly on the fact that I’m only counting tuition for merit percentages rather than tuition + all of the fees + CoL. I did, however, only account for 36 credits (the chart on their cost of attendance website calculates semesters by 9 credits) so my tuition calculation was definitely lower than actual. Thanks for pointing that out!

10. Memm77

You're welcome. I didn't include fees and CoL. 78750$ will be only the tuition for 45credits--based on 2018 tuition rates!

11. acn2019

Has anyone been able to negotiate scholarships with schools? I know this is really common with Law schools, but I’m not sure if it works with the PH programs. I got 50% from Columbia, which I am really surprised and excited about, but I might rather go to Johns Hopkins. I got in for an MSPH in Pop, Fam, and Reproductive Health with no scholarship besides the 75% off the second year that all admitted students get. Anyone think they would be receptive to giving me more since now they are the same price as Columbia?

'froDiva and Memm77 like this.
  12. BeHappy97

Has anyone been able to find a curriculum page for the Johns Hopkins MSPH? I found the layout for the MPH, but I am having a hard time finding the specific MSPH program.

13. Gutterball1234

Just wanted to weigh in on this. I've been out of school for a few years now, so I had to find stuff other than school to keep my mind busy. It's best to try not to think about it too much, whether that comes from work/school, a new hobby, engrossing yourself in bingewatching something on Netflix, or whatever. As important as this process is, it's not as important as keeping your mental health intact and healthy. Whatever happens will happen, and worrying about it won't change anything, so try to keep your mind off of it. I went through a whole year of it, so if anyone has any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

14. Memm77

Has anybody heard from the University of Minnesota about financial aids and scholarships? In the last TIPH virtual fair, they said that they will release financial awards between the last week of Jan and the 2nd week of Feb.

#1514 Memm77, Feb 9, 2019
  15. emkay1118

That's kind of what I figured... thank you!

16. NeuroGeeK07

I received the same email and they asked me to check my portal. In my portal stated I was accepted though. So i am not sure which one is true now.

17. MHA19

I heard back early this week, but I’m MHA not MPH so the timeline might be different

18. Memm77

Wow great! What was their offer? Changing out-of-state to in-state tuition?

19. MHA19

Yeah I got in-state tuition plus a small scholarship, so right now they’re cheaper than the in-state school I applied to!

Memm77 likes this.
  20. Memm77

Congrats! It's really fantastic :)
    Have you shared your stats and experiences here at SDN?

21. pubhealthiscool

tuition is $60K so its actually 53%

Memm77 likes this.
  22. Memm77

I wish it were 60k!
    Have you read our previous dialogue? I think you are making the same mistake in calculation.
    Tuition is 78750$ without fees and CoL.

#1522 Memm77, Feb 9, 2019
  23. takius

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    for those who heard from columbia about financial aid packages, how were you notified? email? or just checked the portal

24. Nb30

Hey I'm kind of confused with the price of tuition. This webpage said that it's $1,750 per credit "for all programs other than those listed below", and one of the programs listed below is MD/Master of Public Health - $44,900. So which price should be go off of?

#1524 Nb30, Feb 9, 2019
  25. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

I just want to say we got this! Right around this time last year, I was stressed out of my mind just like you all when wondering which school I'm going to choose, receiving hopefully reasonable financial aid packages, and whether or not deferring was the right choice for me. Right now, I'm going through a different kind of stress that includes preparing for cross country moving, dealing with the big pile of loans I'll be adding to my student debt, and mentally preparing for school life once again after spending the past two years working and binge-watching true crime shows. :p

Honestly, as the days are getting closer for me to start grad school and the general uprooting myself to a state where I'll know absolutely no one, I'm getting more and more nervous and stressed to the max. I'm trying to balance the bad stress with positivity such as preparing fun things I'll do once I get there, as well as vacation spots I can reward myself with once I finish school once and for all...or whenever I need a break from classes! :D

Stay positive folks! You're not alone!

'froDiva, TD2018, dubbz09 and 7 others like this.
  26. Memm77

MD-MPH means studying MD concurrent with MPH!
    Our MPH tuition will be 45*1750=78750
    I’m so curious to know about the the last year GW scholarships, they called it 50% as well, and I dont know how much money exactly they had offered in 2018.

Nb30 likes this.
  27. Nb30

Okay that makes so much more sense haha thank you!!

28. enviroprotector

notified via email to log into the portal

takius likes this.
  29. MuppetLord

Which department were you accepted to? I was accepted into an International Health MSPH and the department website provides an Academic Guide outlining the course selections and timelines for each MSPH and MHS degree. However, not every department has such clear-cut info.

30. BeHappy97

I was also accepted into the International Health MSPH. Thanks so much, I kept glancing over the Academic Guide!

MuppetLord likes this.
  31. redeye19

I got an email to check the portal for the merit scholarship and then the financial aid package came as a separate email

32. STATA_13

Hello guys. So the season is over for me. I applied to two programs only (Harvard MPH & John Hopkins MPH) and I was accepted in both in the last week. I am way more inclined towards Harvard for many issues. Any convincing reasons I might be missing to go for Hopkins rather than Harvard? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Further, I would really be glad to get in touch with anyone of you here planning to attend the next Harvard MPH-Epi class. It will be wise to share some thoughts and help each other planning. Please DM me if interested to talk about this.

Thanks,

33. DrGozie

Resident [Any Field], Dentist
    Hi guys, was anyone admitted to University of Minnesota MPH in Community Health Promotion required to take an online summer biostatistics course with the UMN before a final decision is reached?

How long was the duration of the course and was the course paid for?

34. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

Hey y'all, I recently made this spreadsheet to help me decide between PhD programs. I thought some of you might find it useful as well. File --> Download As --> Excel to make an editable copy for yourself. "Lab factors" isn't super relevant to MPH programs, so I'd definitely suggest eliminating or changing that category to something else (maybe Networking?).

TD2018, hollyberry118, mhmph and 20 others like this.
  35. ripely-pine

This is awesome!! Thanks!

wwmmkk and Memm77 like this.
  36. Memm77

Thanks again for your perfect Excel file :) Could you please tell us how to identify and evaluate the "productivity", "facilities", and even "current student opinions" and Cohort size?
    As an international student outside the U.S., without the possibility of visiting and attending the admitted students days, I will be really appreciated if you and other friends help to complete this common factors because they are likely to be the same for all of us.

37. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

I actually think it's all pretty personal! Well, maybe not productivity and facilities. By productivity, I mean how many studies/papers/grants the program is bringing in in relation to the number of faculty and researchers. Facilities are how nice the buildings are-- a lot of times public health is in the basement of a med school, for example, or there's no common space for students to work. I think for both of those people can figure them out by looking at school's websites and emailing current students. Current students' opinions and cohort sizes are definitely more personal/individual. One student's negative might be another's positive. I know I do better in a small environment, but some people feel constrained or isolated with only a few dozen other students in their program, for instance.

Basically, I think it is really, really important to connect with current students and ask about what's important to you. You should be able to email a program coordinator (or similar staff) at any school and ask them to connect you with current students. If they can't or if students don't respond, that definitely tells you something about that program. I'm happy to talk to anyone about Brown and I think there are other current students on here you can PM about their schools.

ALSO I just realized I didn't put tuition on the file!! Everyone should add that when they download it. I didn't apply to PhD programs that don't fully cover tuition, so I just had a "funding" row. But it's very rare to get tuition fully covered for an MPH, and I don't think any schools give full funding (stipend, health insurance, etc.)

JDGBruin1317 and Memm77 like this.
  38. Unwritten8415

Non-Student
    Was accepted to the JHSP Accelerated MPH. I guess they do take 8 weeks since verification. They are the only school that has not sent me an email to say they received my application, was thinking it was lost/incomplete somehow.

39. mph2019!

Did anyone receive or have any information regarding financial aid from UCLA?

Memm77 likes this.
  40. keeks23

Is anyone attending UW for their Epi visit days at the end of this month?

41. oacljv

2+ Year Member

My acceptance (both from the department and from the graduate division) did not mention any financial aid/merit scholarships. Definitely hoping that information is still coming, because UCLA is a top choice for me!

JDGBruin1317, Memm77 and mph2019! like this.
  42. mph2019!

Same here!

43. Mph576

Did anyone applying for health policy apply to any MPP programs?

44. mphopeful19

I did!
    MPH: Columbia, JHU, Harvard, Berkeley, UW
    MPP: USC, Berkeley
    MPA: NYU

Mph576 likes this.
  45. Gopher15

Visit Emory registration just opened today! I just registered for both days!

My newfound excitement for that visit is making me forget about my anxiety of not hearing back from a handful of other programs yet. I heard back from some so quickly, and the rest of the process seems to be dragging on. I'd honestly rather just find out that I didn't get in than have to wait much longer and delay my final decision.

46. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

ME A THOUSAND TIMES!!! I probably tell my coworker that everyday.

47. eskiiit

got my BU pkg today. was accepted 1/19 for reference

JDGBruin1317 and hollyberry118 like this.
  48. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

Accepted to UCLA just now!

49. Memm77

In the same boat! I’m forgetting some of the unresponded programs! Which programs are you waiting for? I’m seriously thinking to commit to UMN Epi MPH. I know you are living there, I’ll be appreciated if you share your viewpoint with me:) it's about one month that I'm searching about Minneapolis, Minnesota Nice, Freezzzing winters, and I got impressed by the sophisticated behavior of the UMN faculty and staffs, and even its highly informative website!! I’ve read in your previous comments that UMN is your 4th choice, and I’m so curious about the reason unless you just wanna move away from Minnesota for a while.

50. enviroprotector

Accepted into UCLA!!!