MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the same email (also rescinded) applied to Environmental Health. Thanks, Harvard *slow clap* :dead:
I’m sorry dude, it’s not a great feeling. What really surprises me is that they don’t feel the need to send a follow up apology email? I get that admissions officers are people too and make mistakes like the rest of us, but I would appreciate some acknowledgment. //EDIT and people who don’t participate in this forum and got the email might think that they’re in when they’re not, that would suck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sorry dude, it’s not a great feeling. What really surprises me is that they don’t feel the need to send a follow up apology email? I get that admissions officers are people too and make mistakes like the rest of us, but I would appreciate some follow up/acknowledgment
I could not agree more to this! We all understand that mistakes happen, but rescinding an accidental acceptance Email without any explanation reflects so poorly on their institution! Today has been a roller coaster...but hey cheers to the weekend!

Reactions: 7 users
Got a 50% merit scholarship from Columbia this morning as well! I was worried because my AWA was not at the 80% percentile cutoff, but I guess that didn't matter

Reactions: 10 users
I’m sorry dude, it’s not a great feeling. What really surprises me is that they don’t feel the need to send a follow up apology email? I get that admissions officers are people too and make mistakes like the rest of us, but I would appreciate some acknowledgment. //EDIT and people who don’t participate in this forum and got the email might think that they’re in when they’re not, that would suck!
What did the rescinding email say?

Harvard responded:
“we close out our admission process for the 2019 academic year. We are expecting that admission decisions will be released in the next two weeks.”

Where did they post that? Thank you for the info!!

Reactions: 1 user
What did the rescinding email say?
It wasn’t a formal email saying “sorry we made a mistake”, it was Gmail advising me that the original sender had attempted and failed to recall the previous message.

It wasn’t a formal email saying “sorry we made a mistake”, it was Gmail advising me that the original sender had attempted and failed to recall the previous message.
Oh my god, I am so sorry. That is horrible of Harvard to not even issue an apology email....ridiculous.

Woooooow @Harvard.

I would strongly recommend visiting campus if you are admitted for real at some point and seriously considering attending. Seeing the traditional Ivy League culture up close was eye-opening for me. I'm not going to say more publicly, but feel free to PM me for more details.

Reactions: 5 users
That’s awesome!! Congrats!! Can I ask what were your stats/when did it get verified in SOPHAS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sorry for the super late response. My stats are in my signature!

GPA: 3.7 | GRE: V 91%; Q 80%; W 82%
Applied (verified): UCLA MS CHS (12/4), Columbia MPH Epi (12/20), Emory MSPH Epi (12/8), Harvard MPH-65 HSB (12/7), JHU MHS Epi (12/7)
Accepted: Emory MSPH Epi (12/10), JHU MHS Epi (12/19), Columbia (1/28, 2/8 notification 50% merit scholarship)

I just got an apology email from them, I appreciate it a lot. Now back to wondering and waiting!

Accepted to Johns Hopkins MSPH program!! (via portal)

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any advice in terms of dealing with the anxiety of waiting to hear back? I feel like it's taken a toll on me.
I don't have any advice, but you are definitely not alone! This process has made me incredibly anxious. If your anxiety is overwhelming, maybe consider seeing a therapist about it. It might seem like silly, but talking to an objective third party, even if only once or twice, can be super helpful. Plus they can give you lots of tips of actively dealing with stress.

Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone have any advice in terms of dealing with the anxiety of waiting to hear back? I feel like it's taken a toll on me.
SAME. I've found these forums to be both a blessing and a curse during this process. Sometimes it helps me to try to take a break and focus on other things in my life (easier said than done, I know!).

It's also important to be compassionate with yourself. This is an inherently stressful and unpredictable process so anxiety is normal. Sitting with and acknowledging that feeling instead of pushing it away may help it feel a bit more manageable.

Reactions: 13 users
Me too! I feel like this stress is taking up every other thing in my life to the point where whenever I'm talking to anyone else, the anxiety about program decisions always comes up. I'm definitely being so annoying but my friends are supportive so it's helping.
This forum is great, I tend to refresh my email and then the forum twice every 30 minutes to feed my anxiety so thanks for continuing to post everyone :)

It's been helpful for me to find projects at work to immerse myself in so that I can't constantly think about this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

I don't have any advice, but you are definitely not alone! This process has made me incredibly anxious. If your anxiety is overwhelming, maybe consider seeing a therapist about it. It might seem like silly, but talking to an objective third party, even if only once or twice, can be super helpful. Plus they can give you lots of tips of actively dealing with stress.

SAME. I've found these forums to be both a blessing and a curse during this process. Sometimes it helps me to try to take a break and focus on other things in my life (easier said than done, I know!).

It's also important to be compassionate with yourself. This is an inherently stressful and unpredictable process so anxiety is normal. Sitting with and acknowledging that feeling instead of pushing it away may help it feel a bit more manageable.

Me too! I feel like this stress is taking up every other thing in my life to the point where whenever I'm talking to anyone else, the anxiety about program decisions always comes up. I'm definitely being so annoying but my friends are supportive so it's helping.
This forum is great, I tend to refresh my email and then the forum twice every 30 minutes to feed my anxiety so thanks for continuing to post everyone :)

It's been helpful for me to find projects at work to immerse myself in so that I can't constantly think about this!

I am adding to the voices! I have also found that working on projects, whether at work, school, or home, helps in passing the time and keeping your mind off the process. This weekend I'm planning to work on my latest knitting project, watch some netflix, clean, and (perhaps) start researching journals to submit my paper to.

One trick I was taught is to just speak affirming statements out loud. When I was having a lot of anxiety regarding doing phlebotomy for my job, I would say before every participant: "I can do this--I can draw their blood. If they are a hard stick, I will try, and even if I can't get it, it will be OK." Even though I knew those things in my mind, saying them out loud made all the difference.

Though this process and decision is important, I am confident that we will all find a path that leads us to happiness and fulfillment even if in the moment it seems like the future is bleak.

<3

Reactions: 8 users
Quick question - for student visit days, especially ones that require significant travel, do parents generally attend as well? My parents will be helping a lot with funding my education, and they seem to want to check out the schools and areas as well. Will it be weird if they tag along? Are most of you going alone?
Last year I went to Yale’s admitted study day with my dad and there were a handful of other parents there as well.

I was accepted into Icahn school of Medicine (Mount Sinai)'s MPH program. I wanted to get an opinion on how the program is like. How does it compare to schools like Emory?

Reactions: 1 users

This was me and literally took a toll on my physical and mental well being. As dumb as it sounds, I took up reading for fun again as well as forcing myself to stay outdoors or do yoga. It helped, a ton. I got into my top so I'm better now, but I feel your pain on a personal level. This process has not been fun at all. Hang in there!!!

A "no" from Hopkins yesterday and a "yes" from UCLA (CHS), both of which I expected. But the real surprise—and bummer—was no aid from Columbia. I can't say I was expecting a merit scholarship because I know they don't give out much, but I thought I was a competitive candidate and got my hopes up. Columbia's one of my top choices. Realistically, though, I'd have to consider deferring. Building up some more savings in the coming year would make it more manageable.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys congrats! Has your email exactly mentioned 50%? Mine is said 32000 $ during 2 years! (8000$ per semester) which is far less than 50%.
Based on previous years' threads it looks like the 50% refers to the reduction from two years of tuition (so about $32k). Congrats! Getting that much of a scholarship for an MPH is huge.

Based on previous years' threads it looks like the 50% refers to the reduction from two years of tuition (so about $32k). Congrats! Getting that much of a scholarship for an MPH is huge.
Thanks:) I don’t wanna be ungrateful, but I think that’s not enough to convince me to attend GW! My research interest is Cardiovascular Epi which is not focused in GW, also even with 32k scholarship, final price would be almost 47k, and at the moment I think Yale 1-year CDE program (45k), UMN MPH (56k), Harvard 1-year SM in Epi (58k), and even JHU MHS (68k) reasonably seem more attractive due to their reputation, more diverse research interests, and better prospective opportunities.

I will really appreciate any comments —especially in the opposite viewpoint—about this comparison between GW and the others with taking its 47k tuition into consideration.

Last edited:
Hey guys congrats! Has your email exactly mentioned 50%? Mine is said 32000 $ during 2 years! (8000$ per semester) which is far less than 50%.

The past year’s tuition was about $30,000 per year so the $16,000 per semester is actually a little more than 50%

Last edited:
For anyone who applied to JHU MPH without a science background or work experience, what courses did you do to fulfill the 'Intro to Biology - college level' course requirement? I am guessing many must have done something online? Any leads on this/online courses? Many thanks in advance!

Do you mean that we should only pay 28k for 2 years?
To my knowledge, they calculate tuition per credit and for a 45 credits MPH, final tuition and fees will be somewhat close to 80k for 2 years. (each credit is 1750$)
Therefore, 32k is almost 40%, isn't it?
https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/Final MISPH FY20 Tuition for SAO.pdf

I think the difference in our calculations is based mostly on the fact that I’m only counting tuition for merit percentages rather than tuition + all of the fees + CoL. I did, however, only account for 36 credits (the chart on their cost of attendance website calculates semesters by 9 credits) so my tuition calculation was definitely lower than actual. Thanks for pointing that out!

I think the difference in our calculations is based mostly on the fact that I’m only counting tuition for merit percentages rather than tuition + all of the fees + CoL. I did, however, only account for 36 credits (the chart on their cost of attendance website calculates semesters by 9 credits) so my tuition calculation was definitely lower than actual. Thanks for pointing that out!
You're welcome. I didn't include fees and CoL. 78750$ will be only the tuition for 45credits--based on 2018 tuition rates!

Has anyone been able to negotiate scholarships with schools? I know this is really common with Law schools, but I’m not sure if it works with the PH programs. I got 50% from Columbia, which I am really surprised and excited about, but I might rather go to Johns Hopkins. I got in for an MSPH in Pop, Fam, and Reproductive Health with no scholarship besides the 75% off the second year that all admitted students get. Anyone think they would be receptive to giving me more since now they are the same price as Columbia?

Has anyone been able to find a curriculum page for the Johns Hopkins MSPH? I found the layout for the MPH, but I am having a hard time finding the specific MSPH program.

I am adding to the voices! I have also found that working on projects, whether at work, school, or home, helps in passing the time and keeping your mind off the process. This weekend I'm planning to work on my latest knitting project, watch some netflix, clean, and (perhaps) start researching journals to submit my paper to.

One trick I was taught is to just speak affirming statements out loud. When I was having a lot of anxiety regarding doing phlebotomy for my job, I would say before every participant: "I can do this--I can draw their blood. If they are a hard stick, I will try, and even if I can't get it, it will be OK." Even though I knew those things in my mind, saying them out loud made all the difference.

Though this process and decision is important, I am confident that we will all find a path that leads us to happiness and fulfillment even if in the moment it seems like the future is bleak.

<3

This was me and literally took a toll on my physical and mental well being. As dumb as it sounds, I took up reading for fun again as well as forcing myself to stay outdoors or do yoga. It helped, a ton. I got into my top so I'm better now, but I feel your pain on a personal level. This process has not been fun at all. Hang in there!!!

Just wanted to weigh in on this. I've been out of school for a few years now, so I had to find stuff other than school to keep my mind busy. It's best to try not to think about it too much, whether that comes from work/school, a new hobby, engrossing yourself in bingewatching something on Netflix, or whatever. As important as this process is, it's not as important as keeping your mental health intact and healthy. Whatever happens will happen, and worrying about it won't change anything, so try to keep your mind off of it. I went through a whole year of it, so if anyone has any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 7 users
Has anybody heard from the University of Minnesota about financial aids and scholarships? In the last TIPH virtual fair, they said that they will release financial awards between the last week of Jan and the 2nd week of Feb.

Last edited:
I called and they told me that it was an error and my application is still under review and I can expect a decision in “a few more weeks.” I don’t know if it would be different for you

I received the same email and they asked me to check my portal. In my portal stated I was accepted though. So i am not sure which one is true now.

Has anybody heard from the University of Minnesota about financial aids and scholarships? In the last TIPH virtual fair, they said that they will release financial awards between the last week of Jan and the 2nd week of Feb.
I heard back early this week, but I’m MHA not MPH so the timeline might be different

Wow great! What was their offer? Changing out-of-state to in-state tuition?
Yeah I got in-state tuition plus a small scholarship, so right now they’re cheaper than the in-state school I applied to!

Yeah I got in-state tuition plus a small scholarship, so right now they’re cheaper than the in-state school I applied to!
Congrats! It's really fantastic :)
Have you shared your stats and experiences here at SDN?

To my knowledge, they calculate tuition per credit and for a 45 credits MPH, final tuition and fees will be somewhat close to 80k for 2 years. (each credit is 1750$)
https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/Final MISPH FY20 Tuition for SAO.pdf
tuition is $60K so its actually 53%
I wish it were 60k!
Have you read our previous dialogue? I think you are making the same mistake in calculation.
Tuition is 78750$ without fees and CoL.

Last edited:
for those who heard from columbia about financial aid packages, how were you notified? email? or just checked the portal

Hey I'm kind of confused with the price of tuition. This webpage said that it's $1,750 per credit "for all programs other than those listed below", and one of the programs listed below is MD/Master of Public Health - $44,900. So which price should be go off of?

Last edited:
I just want to say we got this! Right around this time last year, I was stressed out of my mind just like you all when wondering which school I'm going to choose, receiving hopefully reasonable financial aid packages, and whether or not deferring was the right choice for me. Right now, I'm going through a different kind of stress that includes preparing for cross country moving, dealing with the big pile of loans I'll be adding to my student debt, and mentally preparing for school life once again after spending the past two years working and binge-watching true crime shows. :p

Honestly, as the days are getting closer for me to start grad school and the general uprooting myself to a state where I'll know absolutely no one, I'm getting more and more nervous and stressed to the max. I'm trying to balance the bad stress with positivity such as preparing fun things I'll do once I get there, as well as vacation spots I can reward myself with once I finish school once and for all...or whenever I need a break from classes! :D

Stay positive folks! You're not alone!

Reactions: 9 users
Hey I'm kind of confused with the price of tuition. This webpage said that it's $1,750 per credit "for all programs other than those listed below", and one of the programs listed below is MD/Master of Public Health Certificate - $44,900. So which price should be go off of?
MD-MPH means studying MD concurrent with MPH!
Our MPH tuition will be 45*1750=78750
I’m so curious to know about the the last year GW scholarships, they called it 50% as well, and I dont know how much money exactly they had offered in 2018.

MD-MPH means studying MD concurrent with MPH!
Our MPH tuition will be 45*1750=78750
I’m so curious to know about the the last year GW scholarships, they called it 50% as well, and I dont know how much money exactly they had offered in 2018.
Okay that makes so much more sense haha thank you!!