MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to University of Illinois at Chicago's Epi program!

I'm honestly shocked. After getting rejected from Colorado's epi program, I figured it wasn't very likely I'd be accepted to any epi programs, so I'm over the moon!
Congratulations! I was accepted to Community Health Sciences, however asked about a week ago to have my app routed to Epi, as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations, that is a great award! I am waiting to hear back from UAlbany for financial aid too. Did you receive the Axelrod scholarship? Given that I am a NYS resident, it is an extremely affordable option and well-ranking school in state and throughout the country, so it is a top option for me at the moment. Did you apply for additional fellowships from UA?
@doctorjonesofhampton and @solyluna415 I agree, it is probably the most affordable option for me as well! And yes, it was the Axelrod scholarship, and no, I did not apply to any other fellowships/scholarships! I'm definitely going to attend the Accepted Student's Day April 5th.

And good luck to you both!!

Hi! I am not applying this cycle, but wanted to offer my advice because I grew up in the Albany area. The School of Public Health is actually across the Hudson River in Rennselaer, which I don’t know as much about. In general, the area does a have a comparatively low cost of living. Albany itself has some good parts and bad, like all cities. Rennselaer/Troy area is the same way. There are some really fun events, especially during the summer. I grew up in a suburb and didn’t travel into Albany much, but I can tell you that being in Albany puts you very close to the Adirondacks and Saratoga, which are both great places to visit.

During my summer internship (during undergrad) at the New York State Department of Health, I learned that they have a great partnership with UAlbany. I met several grad students working at DOH during their practicum!

Sorry if this wasn’t that helpful— Albany can be dreary in the winter but there is plenty to do both in the city and around it. I think you should definitely visit though (probably when it is warmer) because you need to see for yourself!
This is actually very helpful!!! I am definitely going to go visit! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh nice! I ended up not applying for the RA position. I want to get settled into things before I consider a research position. The best of luck to you, I hope you get it!

I do plan on going both days. I need to look into flights and hotels too... my parents live across the sound from Seattle but it'll be too far to stay. I'm excited though!

Thank you! Maybe they will talk about other RA openings offered later in the year at the visit days.

Well keep me updated on which flight you end up choosing and I will too. I may be staying with a UW MD Resident in the nearby campus village (family friend), but if not I was looking at AirBnB. They are super affordable and really nice, in case you wanted to consider that an option.

Anyone who’s considering attending UNC - please feel free to reach out to me with questions about the area/campus! I have been living and working in the area for almost 5 years now.

I live in Durham (20-25 minutes from Chapel Hill depending on where you are) and absolutely love this little city and everyone in it. Happy to chat!

Reactions: 3 users
I just received my scholarship from GW today. The associate director of graduate scholarships wrote that they completed notification to scholarship recipients who were admitted up until 2/3/19 and they're sending awards to new admits bi-weekly so don't lose hope!

Hey, congratulations!! Did you get the mail from graduate division or SPH ?
It was from the student coordinator for the division of epidemiology and bio-stats. They recommended admission, but my app is now being sent to the UIC office of admissions for final review of my credentials. So I'm not 100% in until I hear from them.

Is aaaanyone still waiting for an email from GW financial aid? They had said in the facebook group that yesterday they were wrapping up the award emails.....but nothing on my side yet

I’m also still waiting!

WHOA! I am so glad I emailed them! My CSS profile wasn't picked up initially and I just received another award for $20K! This makes GW the clear frontrunner for me. Unless I get accepted to Harvard with a substantial award package, I am committing to GW!

Did they explain what went wrong with your css profile? Now I’m worried lol

Woke up to some awesome scholarship packages from Johns Hopkins (!!!!!!!!) and George Washington University!
Best news so far!!:soexcited::soexcited:

Wow! Congrats!!!! Were you notified beforehand that you were up to receive a scholarship from JHU?

Woke up to some awesome scholarship packages from Johns Hopkins (!!!!!!!!) and George Washington University!
Congratulations :) Scholarships from JHU is fantastic
Could you please give us your tuition waiver percent in GW and JHU?

It was from the student coordinator for the division of epidemiology and bio-stats. They recommended admission, but my app is now being sent to the UIC office of admissions for final review of my credentials. So I'm not 100% in until I hear from them.

Looks like a positive response. All the best !

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Has anyone heard from UMich's HMP department about scholarships?
I haven't heard anything yet, has anyone else? I know that they do a few different rounds, but people on the forum last year didn't hear until the end of March in some cases. Fingers crossed it's sooner for everyone this year!

Hmm, I wonder how far along they are in their review process? I was under the impression they would not be sending anything out until early March

Where did you hear that UW Health Services wouldn't be sending decisions out until early March? I still haven't heard anything yet so just wondering if others have or if they just haven't sent anything out yet.

How are you guys handling acceptance/scholarship offers with deadlines when you still have schools that you are waiting on? I have a scholarship with deadline for today, but still waiting on my first choice..

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your background and what kind of scholarship you were offered? I got accepted into two programs at JHU and would love to attend but it's so $$$ :arghh:

I just received my scholarship from GW today. The associate director of graduate scholarships wrote that they completed notification to scholarship recipients who were admitted up until 2/3/19 and they're sending awards to new admits bi-weekly so don't lose hope!

Oof. That's rough. I was admitted way back October. At least that's one less thing to wait on.

Just heard back from UMN's Epi and Community Health division that they are done sending out the first round of scholarship notifications and will notify us when they begin the second.

I received an email from UMN that their first round of scholarships is over! Has anyone heard from UMN regarding scholarships??

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email from UMN that their first round of scholarships is over! Has anyone heard from UMN regarding scholarships??

Yes, I have!

Very surprised to receive any scholarships honestly since my stats are quite weak. This is how much I received:

"On behalf of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, I am honored to inform you that you have been nominated by the Community Health Promotion Program to receive the following academic scholarship – Minnesota SPH Tuition Scholarship beginning in Fall 2019. This award makes you eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver for academic year 2019-20 and 2020-21. Therefore, your tuition rate would match the resident tuition rate in the academic years mentioned above for an estimated savings of $10,000 to $15,000:

Minnesota SPH Tuition Scholarship: $10,000 - $15,000 (approximate savings)"

Yes, I have!

Very surprised to receive any scholarships honestly since my stats are quite weak. This is how much I received:

"On behalf of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, I am honored to inform you that you have been nominated by the Community Health Promotion Program to receive the following academic scholarship – Minnesota SPH Tuition Scholarship beginning in Fall 2019. This award makes you eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver for academic year 2019-20 and 2020-21. Therefore, your tuition rate would match the resident tuition rate in the academic years mentioned above for an estimated savings of $10,000 to $15,000:

Minnesota SPH Tuition Scholarship: $10,000 - $15,000 (approximate savings)"
Congratsss! I think your GRE scores are outstanding—particularly for a community health program.
I was optimistic that my quant score will help me, but it seems that they reveiw holistically or based on cumulative GRE score!

Congratsss! I think your GRE scores are outstanding—particularly for a community health program.
I was optimistic that my quant score will help me, but it seems that they reveiw holistically or based on cumulative GRE score!

Good luck! Hope you hear good news in the second round.

Anybody heard from Berkeley for epi/biostats yet? In last year's forum, they sent out decisions today... I'm checking my email wayyyy too often

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody heard from Berkeley for epi/biostats yet? In last year's forum, they sent out decisions today... I'm checking my email wayyyy too often
I'm also waiting for Berkeley's HSB and noticed that they started sending out decisions on the 13th.....so I've also been obsessively refreshing my portal and my email.

But i ALSO saw some people were waiting all the way up to March to receive decisions :( Cal is my #1 choice and I'm putting a lot of planning and decisions on hold until I hear back from them so I really can't wait to hear SOMETHING.

I haven't heard anything from Berkeley Epi/Biostats yet either, but I hope that we'll hear soon! My life right now is just refreshing my email and this forum.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm also waiting for Berkeley's HSB and noticed that they started sending out decisions on the 13th.....so I've also been obsessively refreshing my portal and my email.

But i ALSO saw some people were waiting all the way up to March to receive decisions :( Cal is my #1 choice and I'm putting a lot of planning and decisions on hold until I hear back from them so I really can't wait to hear SOMETHING.
same! berkeley's hsb program is a lot smaller (i believe 20-30 people) so i'm preparing myself to wait a while to hear back, maybe when people start rejecting offers? lol who knows...

Reactions: 2 users
Add me to the "still waiting on Berkeley Epi/Biostats" list!

Edit: Also waiting to hear back about scholarships/financial aid everywhere and feeling kind of panicked. Definitely regret not applying to Columbia since I meet their scholarship criteria.

Last edited:
@armchair_cosmonaut Haven’t you received anything??

Nothing! :shrug:

I think it might be a program that offers scholarships to those who are more likely to actually matriculate there. I have no ties to Minnesota, and perhaps they are reserving them for people who showed more interest in the program and area directly. I visited Pitt in the fall while in the area for work, and they basically told me that they try to only give their 50% scholarship to those who have shown great interest in the program.

I know they are also very community-oriented (the epi dept is in the same dept as community health), and while I wrote about my interest in health disparities in my personal statement, it was heavily oriented towards research/learning hard epi/biostats skills.

Fingers crossed for offers at other places.

Not on the topic of scholarships--are you intending to pursue steps/residency here in the US? I am friends with a lot of IMGs and it can be a tough path!

I think it might be a program that offers scholarships to those who are more likely to actually matriculate there. I have no ties to Minnesota, and perhaps they are reserving them for people who showed more interest in the program and area directly. I visited Pitt in the fall while in the area for work, and they basically told me that they try to only give their 50% scholarship to those who have shown great interest in the program.

I know they are also very community-oriented (the epi dept is in the same dept as community health), and while I wrote about my interest in health disparities in my personal statement, it was heavily oriented towards research/learning hard epi/biostats skills.

Not on the topic of scholarships--are you intending to pursue steps/residency here in the US? I am friends with a lot of IMGs and it can be a tough path!
UMN is my first choice, because of affordability, alignment of research interests(Cardiovascular), blue political climate, and their Epi Dept excellent reputation.
Regarding showing my real intent of matriculation,I did anything that I could! I emailed academic coordinator, academic manager, program director, and recruitment staff!
I tought that an MD with a GPA of 3.8, and two times 170 score in the quantitative section of both of my GRE attempts might deserve a conversion of out-of-state to in-state tuition! It’s approximately only 15k but it can be effective on my life!
I wish I were more relax in recent 6 months, got a 295-300 in GRE and easily admit to almost 10 out of my 14 applied programs!
But I should cross my fingers for their 2nd round...because there is almost no hope for the majority of my admitted or waiting programs...
Regarding residency path, I’m really undecided, I’m really passionate about mathematics and its applications in real life, I think my most probable purpose will be applying for a PhD in Epi or Bios!! (I wasn’t eligible to apply for Bios masters at this time due to the lack of prerequisite courses, but I’ll try to pass them during my Epi masters! No idea of its practicality!)

Last edited:
Thank you! Maybe they will talk about other RA openings offered later in the year at the visit days.

Well keep me updated on which flight you end up choosing and I will too. I may be staying with a UW MD Resident in the nearby campus village (family friend), but if not I was looking at AirBnB. They are super affordable and really nice, in case you wanted to consider that an option.

Yeah for sure, I'll definitely keep you updated. And hot tip, I love Airbnb! Let's hope the unprecedented snowstorms are over by then!

Reactions: 1 users

Heyy, how did you find Pitt on your visit?

I'm studying at the U right now and I don't know if they give out scholarships based on connections or likelihood to attend. One of my letter writers was a faculty member within Epi and I didn't get offered any scholarships (yet?).

I'm studying at the U right now and I don't know if they give out scholarships based on connections or likelihood to attend. One of my letter writers was a faculty member within Epi and I didn't get offered any scholarships (yet?).
Dear Gopher

As far as I know, they generally nominate out-of-state students for a Non-resident waiver, make their tuition equal to In-state students. (I received this exact sentence from them)
I’m aware that there may be other more significant scholarships, but they are very rare.

also refreshing my email every 10 seconds as the stress exacerbates :') #go #bears lmao

Reactions: 4 users
Well, this is devastating news.

WHOA! I am so glad I emailed them! My CSS profile wasn't picked up initially and I just received another award for $20K! This makes GW the clear frontrunner for me. Unless I get accepted to Harvard with a substantial award package, I am committing to GW!
The CSS Profile is a hot mess and an atrocious way to determine student need. I have ZERO family contribution and had to hit up my father to fill out a separate app and pay an additional $25. After all of that, absolutely no confirmation by the school that it had been received. I have no confidence in this system to provide me with the aid I need to attend school.

Reactions: 5 users
The CSS Profile is a hot mess and an atrocious way to determine student need. I have ZERO family contribution and had to hit up my father to fill out a separate app and pay an additional $25. After all of that, absolutely no confirmation by the school that it had been received. I have no confidence in this system to provide me with the aid I need to attend school.
I couldn't agree more! I was admitted back in November, and heard nothing regarding scholarships and need-based aid. After contacting the financial aid office, they informed me that I did not qualify for need-based aid since my "family contribution" was outside their range, despite clearly specifying that my family will NOT be contributing any finances toward my education....Throughout the long-winded Email chain, they did not answer my question as to define what they consider "need-based aid", and they brushed off the fact that I will have zero income as a full-time student, and not even close to the sustainable finances in my bank account to 1) Pay for over-priced Americanized private education and 2) Live in Washington D.C... I'm VERY frustrated at GW right now if you can't tell...

Reactions: 5 users
I couldn't agree more! I was admitted back in November, and heard nothing regarding scholarships and need-based aid. After contacting the financial aid office, they informed me that I did not qualify for need-based aid since my "family contribution" was outside their range, despite clearly specifying that my family will NOT be contributing any finances toward my education....Throughout the long-winded Email chain, they did not answer my question as to define what they consider "need-based aid", and they brushed off the fact that I will have zero income as a full-time student, and not even close to the sustainable finances in my bank account to 1) Pay for over-priced Americanized private education and 2) Live in Washington D.C... I'm VERY frustrated at GW right now if you can't tell...
Totally with you here. Fin aid office hasn't responded to my emails on CSS in SIX WEEKS. So I have no way to know what the issue even is, or if they've even received my app! I can't believe you've paid $25 to be mislabeled as someone who can afford their ridiculous tuition. I wouldn't be surprised if i'm in the same boat.