MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by el.mo19, Jul 16, 2018.

1. kinasekinasekat

if you go to the r/publichealth reddit thread on rankings you'll see a discussion of it. Of course, unhappy people are more likely to post than happy people so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. plsmphepi

I also had this problem! I have a question though: in the pdf where we can see the entire application for each college, we cannot see if we have given the SSN right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. livingconversation

Hi everyone!

For those of you who applied to Michigan, how long did it take for the Friend account site to send you a verification email? I got the email confirming my application from UofM and I tried to create the Friend account, but I still haven’t received anything from that part of the process. It has been about 24 hours since I tried to create the Friend account.

Thanks! :)

4. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I received the application confirmation email in the early afternoon and received the friend account link that evening.
    It's possible that they're a little backed up with the priority deadline passing. I applied in early October and didn't hear anything for a month. I wouldn't worry too much though! Given you've already received the confirmation email the friend account will definitely be on its way soon!

5. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

Hello everyone! I just want to wish you all good luck and I hope you all get into your desired programs! I remember how nervous and anxious I was last year, especially during the holiday season. I used to constantly check my student portals and refreshed my email more times than I can count throughout the day. :p Just remember you are not alone and enjoy your time with friends and family! Happy holidays! :D

6. livingconversation

Thanks so much! Makes me feel less anxious.

7. dubbz09

Just got into Pitt for HPM! :banana:

Strange though, I didn't get an official acceptance notification, rather a professor emailed to say congrats and offered to set up a time to talk lol. But I'll take what I can get!

(But should I be concerned about it not being like a legit legit acceptance letter?)

Update: Got the official letter 3 days later. :)

#357 dubbz09, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

Congrats! That's awesome. I wouldn't freak out because I remember a few posts from last year (I've anxiously scoured looking for when schools typically release acceptances to calm myself) and remember a few people finding out unconventionally they'd been accepted (typically an email from a staff or faculty) and it would typically reflect in the portal at a later date.

9. dubbz09

Loool thank you! Funnily enough I was doing the same thing yesterday- trying to make a list of when to expect responses based on previous years so my anxiety wouldn't get the better of me. #twinning:highfive:

Mine ended up coming out pretty sloppily so if anyone has been successful with a rough estimation please share!

10. suecakep

Hi, guys. One of the schools that I applied to, Loma Linda University, sent me an email saying I have exactly 14 days before making a decision from the date the email was received. I already emailed the admission, but it doesn't make any sense because I haven't even received a financial aid package. Does this happen often in MPH/MSPH programs? I'm very confused right now...

11. lapislazuli19

Undergrad School: Harvard Affiliated Medical University in India
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47 (WES)
    Major/Minor: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
    GRE: V: 149 (42%), Q: 145 (20%), W: 4.0 (Oct 2018)
    TOEFL : 111/120 (Oct 2018)
    Experience/Research (please, be brief):
    Awards : Summer Research Fellowship at my university and Best Paper Presentation.
    Also have paper presented in numerous conferences.
    - 1 year dental internship at my university.
    - 6 months research internship at my university.
    - 6 months dental observer ship.
    - 1.8 years Dentist Trainee in the middle east.
    - 8 months Clinical Coordinator, managing accounting, marketing, basically all clinical management duties.
    - Several Local volunteer in middle east and India.
    - 1.5 years as a Dentist in Middle East.

Will soon join a NGO which helps women in distressing situations.

LOR: two strong letters from the general managers at my work place, and one from my university dean.

Interests: MPH in behavioral health and/or health education; program evaluation and implementation

Applying:
    Any suggestions? I am quite unconfident because of my low GRE scores,
    Should I take it again and apply?

#361 lapislazuli19, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. Gutterball1234

Due to circumstances, I was just able to submit my SOPHAS application. My top choice has a priority deadline of January 5. Am I screwed, or has verification been going relatively fast this year? I know I'm kinda late submitting.

13. TD2018

That seems really extreme. Most schools want decisions by April. Expecting you to reply before hearing from other schools or about financial aid is not realistic or common.

14. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    This is sketchy if you applied for Fall admissions. The Council of Graduate Schools (to which Loma Linda belongs) has a resolution stating that April 15 is the earliest deadline at which a school can require a prospective or current student to accept/reject an offer of financial support (scholarship, financial aid, fellowships, TA/RA, etc.). The vast majority of graduate schools also interpret this to mean that admitted students do not have to confirm or deny enrollment until this date.

Don't accept an offer of admission unless you know what they are offering you financially. Don't feel pressured into accepting an offer until April 15 (or until you've gotten a definitive acceptance with financial info or rejection from every school you applied to).

ripely-pine likes this.
  15. blackjedbartlett

This is basically a cross post from the MHA thread, but I applied to a few non health admin programs and this thread is far more active anyway
    So here are my stats:
    School: The University of Texas
    GPA: 3.72
    GRE: 161 V 154 Q
    Major: a combination of public health and human development
    Experience: Intern in health policy at the Texas House of representives
    Intern at the medical school in health outcomes management
    Independent project collaborating with the medical school working with geriatric populatins.
    Undergraduate teaching assistsnt
    Human development lab research effects of socail ties
    Lab research on creating a biomarker screening test for cancer
    Special Factors: URM
    Fnished college early( I'm 20 so this could be both good or bad for programs lol)

Applied: BU(MPH MBA dual degree health management) Yale HPM, Hopkins MHA, Minnesota MHA, Columbia MHA, Dartmouth Institute, Brown MPH, Harvard MS aging populations epidemiology, Tufts MPH.
    all applied around mid to late October except Minnesota and Columbia and Harvard which were late November.
    Interview: Had some sort of informal interviews at BU and Tufts late October when visiting ,12/13 Hopkins, 1/4 Minnesota
    Waitlist:
    Rejected:
    Accepted:
    Attending:

I applied to a few non directly hospital admin programs so I have been stalking the MPH threads just as much as the MHA threads! Here's to hopefully a good cycle for us all

ripely-pine likes this.
  16. oacljv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well shoot, somehow I completely missed that there was a graduate division application for Berkeley, so despite submitting my SOPHAS app quite early, I didn't ever do that additional app. I just got a very sternly worded email from the SPH that seems to be encouraging me to complete the application while also telling me that only applications submitted by 12/1 will be evaluated. I guess I'll fill it out and see what happens, but I hope I'm not just wasting money if it's a lost cause at this point...

It's absolutely my fault for missing that extra application, but I have to say, it definitely wasn't listed on the SOPHAS page like other schools (ie UCLA), and also wasn't extremely prominently mentioned on their website (at least in the places I was looking).

edit : well, looks like I'm not getting into Berkeley. I quickly filled out the grad application, but I'm being being prevented from submitting due to the passed due date. I suppose I could try to get in touch with the SPH and see if they could extend the deadline for me, but at this point I think it's best to accept that I screwed up and take it as a lesson to be more careful in the future. The good news is that Berkeley wasn't my top choice, anyway, but it's frustrating.

#366 oacljv, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    armchair_cosmonaut likes this.
  17. Missaayyyy

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I got this email, too, but I submitted my apps early. I'm not sure why they sent it 4 days after their stated deadline but it made me freak out a little and now I want to be extra sure that they DID receive my 2 apps....unfortunately Berkeley is my top choice so I'm a little worried haha.

Hope they let you submit, the graduate division app was only due yesterday.

18. Ramaq Chishti

I am not uber qualified to comment, but the scores need a definite improvement to boost acceptance and even scholarship chances.

19. lapislazuli19

@Ramaq Chishti Thank you for response.
    I am working on trying to do better in my GRE.

20. lapislazuli19

Same thing happened to me, I do not know what is gonna happen next. I did email them.
    I hope so they manage to help us in some way or the other. I also didn’t find any particular area in their website or SOPHAS application that stated this Grad app form is required to be submitted.

21. MePleaseHokay

Right there with you. I'm so crushed and frustrated as it was definitely one of my top choices, I've been dreaming of moving out there. I had NO IDEA this was additionally due by the 1st. I emailed the committee and am completing mine today but damn it.

22. kinasekinasekat

Same! I just emailed them and you know I think if enough people do email them we might have a shot. I really think it is on them for not putting it on SOPHAS like all the other schools that do.

23. eskiiit

I got this email too, but my submission dates show before 12/1 - love spazzing out

php2019 and Missaayyyy like this.
  24. eskiiit

I agree, I filled the app out before but only because I had been stalking their site for months. It wasn't easily known I hope they let previous applicants apply!!!!!

25. oacljv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This whole situation is very odd. I don't understand why they sent this "reminder" several days AFTER the due date. The way it's worded makes it sound like they won't take late applications, but what's the point of a "reminder" in that case?

Anyway, I feel horrible that other people are in this situation too, but hopefully we will have strength in numbers.

26. kinasekinasekat

They're letting us submit btw! You have to email them and then they will extend the deadline for you through Sunday

27. doctorjonesofhampton

Congratulations. Pitt is my first choice but I am yet to send in my application. If I may ask, what were your test scores and GPA? and have you been offered any funding yet?

28. dubbz09

Thank you! All the best with your app! My GRE scores are 160V 160Q 4.0A, GPA 3.62 (WES Eval). I'm not so sure when we hear about funding, the email I received didn't speak to it at all but I figured I would hear more Feb/March next year. From previous forums I've seen that Pitt isn't that generous with funding but keeping my fingers crossed.

29. php2019

I received this email too, and I submitted both applications on 11/29. It definitely freaked me out--I'm not sure why they would send out a reminder after the deadline, or to those who had already submitted both applications... but I'm glad they are still letting people apply!!

30. doctorjonesofhampton

Thanks. And yes I agree with you, most of the programs give aid packages usually in March. I hope everything goes well for you. Good luck

dubbz09 likes this.
  31. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I have heard from someone on Pitt's admissions committee that Pitt does not offer funding to the vast majority of its Masters students. A handful (I'm talking 5-6 students per year) qualify for a merit scholarship, but applicants should not expect any funding from Pitt.

32. twinkysaur

Got into GWU Epi program! Surprised to hear back 3 weeks after they sent me an email saying my app was under review. I hope that anybody who also applied will hear back very soon with good news!!

33. kinasekinasekat

Admitted to UMich MPH in Epidemiology! It is among my first choices so I'm very happy. My parents also both went there for undergrad so they are very very happy haa

Undergrad: UChicago
    GPA: 3.31 || GRE: 162V, 160 Q, 4.5W
    Applied: Emory MPH Epi, Harvard MS Epi, Johns Hopkins Full-time MPH, Berkeley MPH Epi/Biostat, GWU Biostat, UNC MPH Epi, University of Washington Epi. SOPHAS Verified 11/16
    Accepted: UMich 12/7
    Rejected: GWU 12/3

34. acn2019

My Verified SOPHAS application was submitted to BU on 11/5. I filled out the supplemental app (one question) the day they emailed me the link, 11/15. They just emailed me today to say that my application is complete. Do y’all think I will still hear back from them next week? This email says 4 to 6 weeks, but the first wave heard back on 12/15 last year.

35. futuremd2025

Accepted to University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology!! This is my top choice!!! I am wondering when we will hear about potential scholarships?

36. futuremd2025

Congrats!!!

kinasekinasekat likes this.
  37. Memm77

Admitted to UMich MPH in Epi, 42 Credits :) Does anybody know when they will inform us about scholarships and Financial Aids?

38. Omahask

congrats!!

futuremd2025 likes this.
  39. Omahask

just got accepted to WVU and University of Alabama at Birmingham...:)

40. EnviroJusticeWarrior

For anyone applying to Penn, good luck with online/in-person interviews!

41. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

I think it depends on your department/how many apps were in the queue. So I wouldn't be discouraged if you don't hear back next week, given it will only have been "complete" for ~1 week. I noticed the same trend you mentioned and am anticipating a first wave of decisions next week!

brooklyn97 likes this.
  42. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

Has anyone else whose been accepted to Tulane struggled to find the correct Public Health FinAid Addendum? I can only find the 2018-2019 one, not 19-20. I emailed my counselor and plan to update when I get a response.

Nb30 likes this.
  43. livingconversation

Has anyone applied to the University of Minnesota?

I applied on 10/31 and just wondering whether others have received any information!

44. jacobble

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

No. I applied 11/1 and only received a confirmation email that they've received my application and that it was complete. Hopefully we hear back soon!

45. Uniqueusername13

Just wondering how other people’s application shows on OPUS (Emory). I opened my account on the portal at least a week ago now. My account has nothing in the To Do List but under the Status it still says Incomplete. Not sure if there’s something I need to do or what. Hate to bug them with an unnecessary email.

46. EnviroJusticeWarrior

It could be the FAFSA form that they want you to fill out

47. livingconversation

Yeah that’s the email I got too, which also said we’d get more info soon. Anyway, good luck to you!

48. jacobble

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! From looking at last year's thread, it looks like they started sending out decisions the week of 12/10. What dept. did you apply to?

49. livingconversation

Hey, that’s pretty soon! I applied for the epi program. And you?

50. Ilovejesuschrist

Same happened to me.....but after a week, it became complete and the status changed to ‘application under review’

Uniqueusername13 likes this.