MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I was just wondering about the process of deferring acceptance for a year, to gain work experience. Does anybody have some insight for that -- when to ask the university, how to ask them formally, the process, details like that? I just got into Emory! I'm so happy for that and I know there are a few SDN folks who have gotten acceptance to Emory and then deferred. Could anyone with any information on deferring please let me know if I can PM them? Thanks!

And good luck to everyone who is still awaiting decisions!
Congrats on getting into Emory! I'm deferring Emory to next fall for the exact reason you are, and will be happy to answer any questions! It was a fairly easy process! PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when Emory sends information about funding/financial aid/scholarships?
From what I remember, Emory sent out most financial aid packages sometime in March, before the Visit Emory event so you'll be able to talk with the financial aid counselors once you get there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, long time lurker here. I wanted to share that I got accepted to Drexel yesterday! I didn’t apply to any scholarships or FAFSA but received the Dean’s scholarship. Does anyone know if I’ll be eligible to receive aid (other than loans) after I submit FAFSA?

Congrats on the Dean's scholarship! And congrats to everyone getting into Emory!

Just so y'all are aware, there is no need-based aid except in very specific circumstances. When I applied for MPH programs, my EFC on FAFSA was $0. I received no need-based aid from the majority of schools and a laughable $500 from a couple schools. Do not count on anything other than loans and scholarships for funding your MPH. Drexel is unlikely to just hand you more money than the Dean's scholarship, but I remember that someone on the forum was able to negotiate a full ride at Drexel last year after getting only a partial scholarship initially. It's way too early to do something like that now, though.

Most schools will not send out scholarship info with acceptances. Usually it takes at least a week later, sometimes months. Some schools will also send out information about how to apply to scholarships that require an additional application or that not everyone is eligible for (diversity, specific interests, merit, etc.). Also, at some schools, things like TA positions and research assistantships that may help with tuition or living expenses are given only after enrollment, and it's difficult or impossible to negotiate them over the summer before tuition is due.

The other piece of financial information that caught me by surprise when I started my program is that the maximum annual federal aid grad students can take is $20,500. That's less than a year's tuition at any school I've seen. This means you have to cover the extra and your living expenses with either a) scholarships b) personal savings or income c) private loans. Completing the FAFSA will make you eligible to take out that $20,500, but that's it. You will need to go private if you need more loan money.

It's only December. The financial game is a long one, so be patient.

[edit:] Also, I have never found an outside public health scholarship. I don't think they exist. There are some general outside scholarships you may be eligible for (for example, I've applied to the Point Foundation Scholarship in the past), but the scholarships I'm talking about above are those given by the school/program you're in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on all of these acceptances! My GRE finally arrived at Emory today, so hopefully I will hear from them soon about setting up OPUS... but I imagine the decision is still a few weeks away, at least.

Just found out I got into Tulane!

I've been so concerned about actually getting into a program that I've only peripherally thought about how I'm going to pay for it all. Am I way behind the curve on applying for financial aid? I just started my FAFSA application and haven't even looked into external scholarships yet. Highly doubt I'll quality for any merit-based scholarships because of my low stats.

It looks like I will just have to take out loans and hope they're low-interest. Also planning to do work-study if possible.

Reactions: 2 users
In at Tulane!! It's my first acceptance so I'm pumped!

So happy for everyone who got into Emory! But now I can't help but feel mad at myself for not applying earlier. I stalked the MPH 2018 page for days and noticed that people only got acceptances from Emory after ~1/29, so I decided to wait to send my application until after I finished my semester (still doing my bachelors, graduating tomorrow!). I'm planning on applying for global epi (or regular epi if global epi is too competitive) and now I'm freaking out that a ton of spots are already taken. Anyone else feel the same way?

Reactions: 3 users
Just found out I got into Tulane!

I've been so concerned about actually getting into a program that I've only peripherally thought about how I'm going to pay for it all. Am I way behind the curve on applying for financial aid? I just started my FAFSA application and haven't even looked into external scholarships yet. Highly doubt I'll quality for any merit-based scholarships because of my low stats.

It looks like I will just have to take out loans and hope they're low-interest. Also planning to do work-study if possible.
I relate to this so much! I also got accepted to Tulane about 2 weeks ago and my immediate feelings were stress about how I'm going to afford this. I recommend sending your FAFSA application asap because it doesn't take long to complete. Tulane will give you info on your financial aid portal after you submit it but they wont give information about aid until the end of January. I read on their website that they're doing something new this year with financial aid, which hopefully means they will be giving more people aid.

So happy for everyone who got into Emory! But now I can't help but feel mad at myself for not applying earlier. I stalked the MPH 2018 page for days and noticed that people only got acceptances from Emory after ~1/29, so I decided to wait to send my application until after I finished my semester (still doing my bachelors, graduating tomorrow!). I'm planning on applying for global epi (or regular epi if global epi is too competitive) and now I'm freaking out that a ton of spots are already taken. Anyone else feel the same way?
I encourage you to still apply! Last year people were receiving offers well into March and April. :)

Not exactly the same situation, but I got a bit of a late start actually finishing my SOPHAS application (full-time job + getting stressed out from family stuff = not feeling motivated to work on stuff), so I only got my application verified last Friday. When I called, they said not to expect to hear anything from them for 4-6 weeks. The priority deadline would be roughly 4 weeks from when I was verified. I'm freaking out a bit about it. I'm applying for BSHE though.

So it seems like the email I mentioned getting from Rollins yesterday was just from the Department. I just got two more emails today from the Assistant Dean and it seems like Visit Emory will be March 28-29th!!

Am I the only one low-key mad that BU didn't sort out the issue and send out decisions today still? :annoyed:
This anxiety is driving me nuts!

Am I the only one low-key mad that BU didn't sort out the issue and send out decisions today still? :annoyed:
This anxiety is driving me nuts!

I definitely thought that was really strange!! I'm thinking maybe tomorrow they might? Their first wave came on on 12/15, which was a Friday last year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I am a little late, but I thought I would join the discussion. I am in the midst of finishing my applications and turning them in right now. I have a lot of reach schools and I may not get accepted to half of these schools but I am applying and I will see what happens. I am hoping that since I am not applying to a quant heavy MPH program, I may stand a chance of acceptance even with my low GRE quant score...fingers crossed!

Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.49
Major/Minor: Urban Studies, concentration in Community Health and minor in International Studies
GRE (including date taken): Taken 11/02/17 - Q: 151 (43%) V: 163 (93%) W: 4.0 (60%) [My GRE Quant could have been better]
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  1. AmeriCorps member working at local regional government agency on addressing the opioid epidemic in Southwest Florida. (1 year)
  2. Worked for local non-profit (Church Health Center) to improve community health through partnering with local churches. Included research, interviews, and GIS mapping. (3 months)
  3. Conducted research with the support of the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI-CDC) on contamination of well water in relation to diarrheal disease incidence in the informal settlement of Obunga in Kisumu, Kenya. This research was published. (2 months)
  4. Intern with U.S. Department of State to create a successful geospatial mapping challenge to address the objectives of the Global Health Security Agenda. (8 months)
  5. Worked for a local public health department to improve teen access to family planning services and expand care for underserved communities. (2 months)
  6. Conducted policy analysis on HOPE VI public housing policy's goals and impact in a certain zip code. This research was published. (3 months)
LORs: Supervisor at Church Health Center job; College advisor in Urban Studies; College Dean of Students and mentor
Additional Personal Information: Minority and Immigrant

Interested in: Global Health policy, Health Policy and Administration

Applied: Columbia (MPH in Health Policy and Management - 12/01/18, GW (MPH in Global Health Policy - 12/15/18), Emory (MPH in Health Policy & Management), Yale (MPH in Healthcare Management), Boston U (MPH in Global Health), Johns Hopkins (MSPH in International Health), University of Florida (MPH in Public Health Management & Policy).
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hello! I'm super excited to be attending Emory this fall despite my realllly low gpa and avg GRE scores. I am only posting this to encourage those with dauntingly low GPAs and late applications to not give up their MPH dreams and apply even when the odds are against them. If you have a strong passion and clear vision for your grad school career definitely put most of your time into your recommendations and personal statement. Maybe you won’t get into Harvard and Yale but you might swing a top ranked program nonetheless. Don’t give up!

Hey! What was your GRE scores and GPA? I can't find your post with that information. Thank you! :)

I definitely thought that was really strange!! I'm thinking maybe tomorrow they might? Their first wave came on on 12/15, which was a Friday last year...

True true true! *crosses fingers*

I applied late too and all of this comes as a surprise lol because I always thought universities process applications after deadlines. :')
Anyway, I believe we can only do so much right? What's meant to be, will be. :)
The spot where you will land is already predestined. And it will be the right fit. Hold on and keep hoping. We'll get there. <3

Reactions: 5 users
In at Boston :clap: with Merit Scholarship!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Also just got accepted to BU with a merit scholarship :) Congratulations everyone :)

I'm also in at Boston! Funny enough, I also got an email from Minnesota at the exact same time, and thought I got double acceptances. Minnesota was just informing me that the department officially began reviewing my application.

I have a question for people who applied to Drexel and its scholarship programs.

Did you write a separate paragraph for each scholarship, or did you submit the same one?

Last edited:
Nothing for me from BU and my SOPHAS was verified 11/3... hoping for news next week!

I have a question for people who applied to Drexel and its scholarship programs.

Did you write a separate paragraph for each scholarship, or did you submit the same one? I ask because my research interests

I didn’t submit anything more than a personal statement. I didn’t write any responses to the scholarship questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted to UMich for Epi! I got an email today, but my application status hasn't changed in Wolverine access. I guess I'll give it a few days and see if anything changes...

Also in at Boston, MPH Global Health with merit scholarship!
Congrats everyone! Tough decisions ahead!

It seems like acceptances all around in this early decision cycle. Are folks reporting/receiving rejections from these programs, as well? (out of curiosity, no shame)

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances!
If I may though, I have a small suggestion. Could the people who got accepted list out their stats as well? This might be very beneficial for those looking to apply or get more of an idea about their chances. Though I am an applicant for this year, I was once a lurker on these forums and knowing stats of others who got accepted was really great.

So, just looking out for the other future lurkers ;)

Reactions: 6 users
If I may though, I have a small suggestion. Could the people who got accepted list out their stats as well? This might be very beneficial for those looking to apply or get more of an idea about their chances. Though I am an applicant for this year, I was once a lurker on these forums and knowing stats of others who got accepted was really great.

Or if you have already posted your stats, you can easily edit that post to include your acceptances. Thanks!!

Accepted to UMich for Epi! I got an email today, but my application status hasn't changed in Wolverine access. I guess I'll give it a few days and see if anything changes...

Replying to my earlier post to add some stats:

Undergrad School: Top 20 public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7 (overall)/3.6 (major)
Major/Minor: Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 168 (98%), Q 165 (88%), Writing 4.5 (83%)

- Intern at non-profit cancer research center (4 months)
- 2 yrs working at CDC
- 3 years TA with the same professor
- 1 semester tutoring biostats course
- President of public health club during college
- 1 year at neuroscience lab (part-time, during school)

Special factors: Won two grants for public health projects

Letter of Recommendations:
2 professors, 1 work supervisor

Interested in: MPH Epi
Applied (include the date of application):

Colorado School of Public Health, UW, Brown, UMich, UNC, Berkeley
All around 12/1 for an MPH in Epi

Accepted: Michigan (12/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hoping for some more good news over the next couple months!

Replying to my earlier post to add some stats:

Undergrad School: Top 20 public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7 (overall)/3.6 (major)
Major/Minor: Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 168 (98%), Q 165 (88%), Writing 4.5 (83%)

- Intern at non-profit cancer research center (4 months)
- 2 yrs working at CDC
- 3 years TA with the same professor
- 1 semester tutoring biostats course
- President of public health club during college
- 1 year at neuroscience lab (part-time, during school)

Special factors: Won two grants for public health projects

Letter of Recommendations:
2 professors, 1 work supervisor

Interested in: MPH Epi
Applied (include the date of application):

Colorado School of Public Health, UW, Brown, UMich, UNC, Berkeley
All around 12/1 for an MPH in Epi

Accepted: Michigan (12/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hoping for some more good news over the next couple months!

You have some killer stats! How come you never applied for JHU, Harvard? Asking to know why you didn't opt for that?

I just got the email to set up OPUS yesterday (Emory), and when I typed in my account info that they gave me, it said that it's invalid. Has anyone else had this issue? It's been between 24 and 48 hours, so is it possible that it just isn't set up yet? I sent an email, but it's a weekend, so I don't know when they'll get back to me about it.

Edit: I should've just waited. I can sign in now!

Last edited:
I just got the email to set up OPUS yesterday (Emory), and when I typed in my account info that they gave me, it said that it's invalid. Has anyone else had this issue? It's been between 24 and 48 hours, so is it possible that it just isn't set up yet? I sent an email, but it's a weekend, so I don't know when they'll get back to me about it.

Yeah, my login info didn't work either. I'm assuming they just haven't fully set up the accounts yet, so I'll try again later today and tomorrow once it hits the 48 hour mark.

edit: I can log in now!

Last edited:
That feeling when you get an email from JHU and the preview goes "Congratulations! I'm delighted to inform you....."

...."that your application has been sent for review!"

Reactions: 10 users
That feeling when you get an email from JHU and the preview goes "Congratulations! I'm delighted to inform you....."

...."that your application has been sent for review!"
Those emails gave me so much anxiety, even if I didn't apply to the schools! :p Especially the ones telling you why you should apply or general information about their programs. lol

Undergrad School: Large State School (Graduating in December)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17 (rough freshmen year) 3.8 Public Health GPA according to SOPHAS and 3.4 Upper Level GPA (indicating upward trend)
Major/Minor: Public Health / Global Poverty
GRE: V: 155 (69%), Q: 160(74%), W: 4.0(August 2018)
Experience/Research:

- 2 years working with faculty within the School of Public Health (multiple community-based and on-site projects)
- 1 summer internship at the National Cancer Institute w/ culminating poster presentation at the NIH main campus
- co-author of 2 publications (1 manuscript and 1 chapter)
-won 1st and 3rd place in two departments specifically at the Undergrad Research Poster Event at my campus; won first place at another on campus poster event
-Former president of a social/economic rights student organization on campus
-Philanthropy Chair for another student org on campus
-Worked part time on campus

LOR: one from the mentor at the School of Public Health, another from a former professor in class I performed well in, and another from my senior capstone professor (for my later apps) or another professor
Interests: MPH in Environmental Health, Risk Assessment, Global Health, Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Applying: Harvard (SM - Enviro Health), Penn (MPH - Environmental Health), Cornell (MPH - Infectious Disease), University of Maryland (MPH - Enviro Health), GWU (MPH - Enviro Health and Policy) Tulane (MSPH- Enviro Health) All applied by 11/1

Accepted: GWU (11/12), Tulane (11/14), University of Maryland (11/26), Emory (12/12)

Rejected: None so far *knock on wood

Undergrad School: Large State School (Graduated spring 2014)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5/4
Major/Minor: Public Health / Spanish, biology
GRE: V: 158 (80%), Q: 156(61%), W: 4.5(October 2018)
Experience/Research:
-undergrad capstone research project for a semester
-1 year international public health/teaching experience in South America
-1 year as a health educator at a nonprofit and then county government in hiv/std and reproductive health
-2 years working at CDC
-currently working at the same local public health agency in food systems/obesity prevention/built envionrment

LOR: one from mentor/public health research professor, one from CDC supervisor, one from current supervisor at local public health agency
Interests: Health policy, food systems, built environment

Applying: Johns Hopkins MPH

Accepted: Johns Hopkins MPH

Rejected:

I have been following this thread since August so now I feel as if I should let you all know what I am up too...

Undergrad School
: Small (highly ranked) liberal arts college in Michigan
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Biology/ Community and Global Health
GRE: V: 150 (47%), Q: 145 (20%), W: 4.0 (YIKES)

- Study abroad program focusing on Latin American Healthcare, Spanish, and Infectious Disease.
- 1-year internship under an infection preventionist at a large multi-specialty care facility
- Teaching Assistant for the biology department.
- Research Assistant for a Detroit Based Epidemiologist
- Senior Thesis in Substance Use Disorder Epidemiology
- Collegiate Athlete

LOR: Director at my internship, my thesis advisor/ CGHL professor, and PI/Epidemiologist

Interests: MSPH/MPH/MS Infectious Disease Epi

Applying:
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (MSPH- Applied Epi) (Verified: 10/30)
Tulane (MSPH - TM) (Verified 11/26),
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (MS-Epi) (Verified 11/7),
The University of Illinois at Chicago (MS- Epi), (Verified 11/8)
University of South Florida (Global Comm. disease) (Verified 11/7)

shot my shot with:
University of Michigan School of Public Health (MPH- Global Epi) (Verified 11/13)

and

Yale (MPH- Microbial) (Verified 12/10)

Accepted: UAB (11/16), UT (11/8), Tulane (12/13)

Rejected: USF (12/12)

Waiting: Illinois, Yale, UM

If anyone has experience with UAB or Tulane I would love to talk to you!

Hi everyone! Super impressed by the work you've all accomplished! I would love some feedback on my stats. I'm starting to get a little nervous that I won't be accepted anywhere - should I apply to a different range of schools?

Undergrad School
: small liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.61 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Political Science & Biology double major
GRE: V: 162 (91%), Q: 156 (61%), W: 5.0 (92%) (Nov 2018)
- public health and science education research in 6 of Cuba's 15 provinces (spring 2017)
- summer internship in Washington D.C. researching disparities in urban and rural health care across the U.S. (3 months)
- 4 years as a research assistant studying behavioral and neuron-specific effects of lawn chemicals on C. elegans
- one publication (first author)
- founded a program providing hands-on science curricula to students aged 5-10
- research on humanitarian aid in Syria
- senior thesis on the effects of the U.S. embargo on health care projects in Cuba
- outreach chair for college chapter of partners in health (4 years)
- ESL tutor for syrian refugees (1 year)
- senior mentor for an alliance of women in foreign affairs (3 years)
- proficient in Spanish and Italian

LOR: one from the Chief Officer at my internship, one from the head of the biology department who I work for and have taken 2 classes with, and one from my political science advisor

Interests: MPH in global health or health policy; social determinants of health

Applying: Yale (12/8), Columbia (12/15), Brown (12/6), UNC (11/30), GWU (12/7), Emory (12/6), JHU (12/23) All are verified dates
Accepted: Emory (12/19), GWU+$ (1/4), Brown+$ (1/15), JHU (2/8), UNC (2/25), Yale (3/5)
Rejected: N/A

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Super impressed by the work you've all accomplished! I would love some feedback on my stats. I'm starting to get a little nervous that I won't be accepted anywhere.

I'm certainly not an expert in the admissions process (just a fellow applicant), but I find it very unlikely that you won't get accepted anywhere - in fact, based on last year's thread, I wouldn't be surprised if you get accepted everywhere or close to it. You have above average stats and good experience!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got into Emory’s Executive MPH Prevention Science Program :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got admitted to Emory in Epi! Was very (pleasantly!!) surprised to hear back so soon because my application was only routed for review on the 14th of December...

Congrats!! My app was also routed for review on December 14th, but says "application incomplete" in my OPUS yet has nothing in the to do list?? Did you have this experience?

Yes. In fact, it STILL says "application incomplete" in OPUS for me, which I find odd.

Hi everyone! Super impressed by the work you've all accomplished! I would love some feedback on my stats. I'm starting to get a little nervous that I won't be accepted anywhere - should I apply to a different range of schools?

Undergrad School
: small liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.61 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Political Science & Biology double major
GRE: V: 162 (91%), Q: 156 (61%), W: 5.0 (92%) (Nov 2018)
- public health and science education research in 6 of Cuba's 15 provinces (spring 2017)
- summer internship in Washington D.C. researching disparities in urban and rural health care across the U.S. (3 months)
- 4 years as a research assistant studying behavioral and neuron-specific effects of lawn chemicals on C. elegans
- one publication (first author)
- founded a program providing hands-on science curricula to students aged 5-10
- research on humanitarian aid in Syria
- senior thesis on the effects of the U.S. embargo on health care projects in Cuba
- outreach chair for college chapter of partners in health (4 years)
- ESL tutor for syrian refugees (1 year)
- senior mentor for an alliance of women in foreign affairs (3 years)
- proficient in Spanish and Italian

LOR: one from the Chief Officer at my internship, one from the head of the biology department who I work for and have taken 2 classes with, and one from my political science advisor

Interests: MPH in global health or health policy; social determinants of health

Applying: Yale (12/8), Columbia (12/15), Brown (12/6), UNC (11/30), GWU (12/7), Emory (12/6)
All are verified dates

Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Given your impressive stats and experiences, you should be good for GWU and Emory. I don't have much exposure to the other schools on your list but since Yale and GWU are similarly ranked MPH programs, you should have a good shot there as well.

Yes. In fact, it STILL says "application incomplete" in OPUS for me, which I find odd.

This is the same thing that happened to me. I was accepted into BSHE today but it was routed on Dec. 14th. I am worried this was a mistake.. I may call tomorrow?

Last edited:
Accepted to the MHA program at Ohio State today!