MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear that! Those are rough, what other schools did you apply to? Also when was your application verified for GWU?
My app for GWU was verified 11/26 and complete 11/28 (Seems they were in a hurry to reject me). Also applied to Emory, Hopkins, Columbia and Harvard. Funny seeing that GWU was supposed to be my safety school and now I have to hope for my reach schools.

Members don't see this ad.

My app for GWU was verified 11/26 and complete 11/28 (Seems they were in a hurry to reject me). Also applied to Emory, Hopkins, Columbia and Harvard. Funny seeing that GWU was supposed to be my safety school and now I have to hope for my reach schools.
Would you be willing to apply to other safety schools just in case? Emory, JHU, Columbia, and Harvard are all extremely competitive. I know it's expensive and time-consuming to apply to more schools but it may be worth it in the long run rather than waiting an extra application cycle. Some universities have deadlines in February or later, so it's still not too late! I do hope you hear good news from the schools you applied to, wishing you the best of luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Would you be willing to apply to other safety schools just in case? Emory, JHU, Columbia, and Harvard are all extremely competitive. I know it's expensive and time-consuming to apply to more schools but it may be worth it in the long run rather than waiting an extra application cycle. Some universities have deadlines in February or later, so it's still not too late! I do hope you hear good news from the schools you applied to, wishing you the best of luck :)
Thanks a lot for the advice. I have started researching other schools. Hope its not too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I have been following the thread and congratulations on your acceptances! I wanted to ask that since you applied to dual degree programs, how have you considered managing the finances? and as a doctor, what made you choose dual degrees as preferences? Asking as a doctor myself but majorly seeing myself as someone interested in clinical side.

Heyy thank you! RE the finances I'm really just hoping for some miracle lol, preferably in the form of scholarship or work-study, I have no definite plan but I'm saving the stress about that for next year. I love clinical medicine and hope to incorporate my policy and management plans into my medical career. Personally, I wanted to find a way to reach the wider community and not just the patient in front of me, and I feel like this dual degree will equip me with the skills to accomplish that. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Does anyone know when UMich starts to send decisions out for HBHE?

@Abbah, I disagree with @twinkysaur and don't think Emory is extremely competitive. In the three years I've been watching this forum, people with GPAs 2.9-3.2 AND GRE scores below the 50th percentile in both sections have gotten in. I'm sure their epi is a bit more competitive than other tracks, but you likely still have a decent shot there.

Regardless, I would recommend applying to another school or two as JHU, Columbia, and Harvard are unlikely at this point. Have you posted your stats? What are your interests within epi/biostat? If you're comfortable sharing this info, we might be able to recommend additional schools for you to look at. You might also consider applying for a track outside of epi or biostat as their admissions criteria tends to be less strict. Some schools will let you switch after your first semester if you end up disliking the track you pick.

Feel free to PM me as well. I'm about to be done with my 3rd semester of my MPH at Brown and have applied to PhDs in epi and social behavioral science.

Just received my first decision letter and it was a rejection from GWU. It isnt my first choice but still hurts... Hoping it gets better..
As someone who was rejected from GWU and accepted to JHU, I'll say to hold out hope :) I do agree that applying to a couple more schools would give you some piece of mind

Last edited:
Thank you all for the deep concern and support shown. I just received some great news. Accepted to Johns Hopkins MPH full time...:rofl:. Isnt that incredible!!! @wwmmkk will post my stats soon and sure I will be needing guidance from you guys. Hopefully we all get were we truly want.

Reactions: 14 users
Thank you all for the deep concern and support shown. I just received some great news. Accepted to Johns Hopkins MPH full time...:rofl:. Isnt that incredible!!! @wwmmkk will post my stats soon and sure I will be needing guidance from you guys. Hopefully we all get were we truly want.

Congratulations!! :happy:

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when UMich starts to send decisions out for HBHE?

I noticed on last year's thread someone got in at the end of this month (~December 20th? I think) after that more decisions came out in January!
Anxiously waiting with you!

I noticed on last year's thread someone got in at the end of this month (~December 20th? I think) after that more decisions came out in January!
Anxiously waiting with you!

Ah! Thank you! Good luck with your apps!

ok honestly what's up with GWU? Same thing happened to me! Maybe I'll see you on campus!

Reactions: 4 users
c
congrats buddy, I'm hoping to hear back from Hopkins soon. Good luck with the rest of your Applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I've been a long-time lurker on these admissions thread and wanted to post my success story along with my stats to show that you should never give up hope on getting this degree if it's what you truly want!

Just found out I got into Johns Hopkins for their full-time MPH starting Summer 2019! I haven't gotten a decision through e-mail yet but checked the portal this morning and there it was. I'm hoping it wasn't some sort of system screw up and that I'm actually in because my undergraduate record was so poor. I had an academic conduct violation and suspension on my transcript and I was 100% sure this would keep me out of any graduate program ever. But I took full responsibility for what happened and elaborated on it and talked about how it was a life-altering experience for me. I'm thinking that the reviewers appreciated that and were willing to take a chance on me. My higher than average GRE score and work experience in clinical research probably also helped. Here are my stats:

Undergrad School: Ivy League
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 in my undergrad institution but got it up to 3.06 with post-bac classes (SOPHAS verified)
Major: Neuroscience
GRE: V: 169 (99%), Q: 161 (77%) W: 5.0 (92%)

I applied to JHU, Emory, Tulane, BU, UNC, GWU, and Drexel and have only heard from JHU thus far.

I love how supportive everyone on this thread is. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys, I've been a long-time lurker on these admissions thread and wanted to post my success story along with my stats to show that you should never give up hope on getting this degree if it's what you truly want!

Just found out I got into Johns Hopkins for their full-time MPH starting Summer 2019! I haven't gotten a decision through e-mail yet but checked the portal this morning and there it was. I'm hoping it wasn't some sort of system screw up and that I'm actually in because my undergraduate record was so poor. I had an academic conduct violation and suspension on my transcript and I was 100% sure this would keep me out of any graduate program ever. But I took full responsibility for what happened and elaborated on it and talked about how it was a life-altering experience for me. I'm thinking that the reviewers appreciated that and were willing to take a chance on me. My higher than average GRE score and work experience in clinical research probably also helped. Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 2.8 in my undergrad institution but got it up to 3.06 with post-bac classes (SOPHAS verified)

I applied to JHU, Emory, Tulane, BU, UNC, GWU, and Drexel and have only heard from JHU thus far.

I should mention I applied to social and behavioral health sciences/health promotion/health behavior concentrations, which are not as competitive as epi/biostats.

That's really awesome!! Congrats on your first acceptance!

c

congrats buddy, I'm hoping to hear back from Hopkins soon. Good luck with the rest of your Applications.
Thanks buddy! Goodluck too. Hope you receive good news from Hopkins soon.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum guys. I am a dentist from India.

I got accepted to the Johns Hopkins dual degree MPH MBA program. got the good news yesterday. I have not got any financial aid. Can anyone please advice if it is worth spending 122,000 USD for the program or I should request the admission office to change my admissionto MPH program alone instead of dual degree?

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Guys I got into Johns Hopkins full time mph! I found out yesterday morning but didn’t have a chance to post until today!

Undergrad: UChicago
GPA: 3.31 || GRE: 162V, 160 Q, 4.5W
Applied: Emory MPH Epi, Harvard MS Epi, Johns Hopkins Full-time MPH, Berkeley MPH Epi/Biostat, GWU Biostat, UNC MPH Epi, University of Washington Epi. SOPHAS Verified 11/16
Accepted: UMich 12/7, JHU full time MPH 12/8
Rejected: GWU 12/3

Congrats "kinasekinasekat on your acceptance.. I too got an admit for the dual degree MPH MBA program at Johns Hopkins. Did you got nay financial aid or scholarahip?

Also please tell if there is any whatsapp or facebook group for Hopkins admit?

finally my stats...

Undergrad School: IMG
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: WES 3.84
Major/Minor: Bachelors of Medicine, Surgery
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 160, Q 164, Writing 4.0 taken in Sept, 2018
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Medical Dr
- A couple of school awards and volunteering activities

Letter of Recommendations:
3 from Prof and lecturers at Med School

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied/Applying (include the date of application): Harvard MPH-45, JHU Schoolwide MPH, Emory MPH-Epi, (all sent 11/20, verified 1121/) || GWU, Columbia both MPH-Epi sent 11/26, verified 11/28
Accepted: JHU (12/11), Emory (12/12), Columbia (01/23) + Dean’s Scholars Award, Harvard + $$$ (02,21)
Rejected: GWU (12/10)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Congrats "kinasekinasekat on your acceptance.. I too got an admit for the dual degree MPH MBA program at Johns Hopkins. Did you got nay financial aid or scholarahip?

Also please tell if there is any whatsapp or facebook group for Hopkins admit?

I didn't get any scholarship info! Also no news of a facebook group or anything yet!

Hi all, I wanted any feedback/advice/predictions on where I stand with graduate programs and if I shouldn't apply to any this year.

Undergrad School: Big State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.14 / 3.50 major (premed classes messed me up)
Major/Minor: Public Policy/ Bioethics, Public Health
GRE (including date taken): V 149, Q 149, AW 4.5 taken today 12/12 (not the best-standardized test taker)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- Multiple internships (3 public health related)
- fellowship in Washington D.C.
- volunteer at a hospital
- 2 research projects that I contributed to (1 public health related)
- created a student org in my college

Letter of Recommendations:
2 professors, 1 professor that was a student org advisor, 1 public servant

Interested in: Health Policy and Mgmt
Applied/Applying (include the date of application): BU, GWU, UMD, Tulane, George Mason, UVA, Drexel, Temple, UMass, Rutgers, Georgia State
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Is Emory sending out decisions? My status on OPUS has changed to Admitted but when I click on show admission letter, it says no letter found.

Reactions: 5 users
Is Emory sending out decisions? My status on OPUS has changed to Admitted but when I click on show admission letter, it says no letter found.

Logged into OPUS and the letter showed up for me! Congrats!

Hey all, long time lurker here. I wanted to share that I got accepted to Drexel yesterday! I didn’t apply to any scholarships or FAFSA but received the Dean’s scholarship. Does anyone know if I’ll be eligible to receive aid (other than loans) after I submit FAFSA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey all, long time lurker here. I wanted to share that I got accepted to Drexel yesterday! I didn’t apply to any scholarships or FAFSA but received the Dean’s scholarship. Does anyone know if I’ll be eligible to receive aid (other than loans) after I submit FAFSA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on the scholarship! I'm applying to Drexel (and their scholarships), too, could you share your stats?

Just got in to Emory! I checked on OPUS after seeing all the posts and just now received the email from the BSHE Department!

I also got into Emory! I was a little concerned that some of the more prestigious schools on my list would be on the fence after UT-Houston asked me to send a 4th letter of recommendation (they required 2, so I already sent one extra) plus an unofficial transcript from this semester before they'd reach a final decision. But I'm into EMORY!!!

Reactions: 3 users
So many Emory acceptances today and my Opus still shows Application Incomplete. No idea why as there’s nothing in my To Do List. Guess I’d better email them.

Have you tried to reach out to Admissions? I know sometimes they take awhile to respond, but at least it will offer piece of mind when you do hear back!

Also discovered I was admitted to Emory MPH - Global Environmental Health, today.

Congrats folks!

Congrats to all those accepted to Emory!!! I love it here and am so glad I picked this school (which is saying a lot since it's finals week)!! Make sure to join the fb group for admitted students: Rollins School of Public Health, Class of 2021 Log into Facebook | Facebook

Last edited:
Hey guys! I was just wondering about the process of deferring acceptance for a year, to gain work experience. Does anybody have some insight for that -- when to ask the university, how to ask them formally, the process, details like that? I just got into Emory! I'm so happy for that and I know there are a few SDN folks who have gotten acceptance to Emory and then deferred. Could anyone with any information on deferring please let me know if I can PM them? Thanks!

And good luck to everyone who is still awaiting decisions!

Heyy thank you! RE the finances I'm really just hoping for some miracle lol, preferably in the form of scholarship or work-study, I have no definite plan but I'm saving the stress about that for next year. I love clinical medicine and hope to incorporate my policy and management plans into my medical career. Personally, I wanted to find a way to reach the wider community and not just the patient in front of me, and I feel like this dual degree will equip me with the skills to accomplish that. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more!
Hey thank you! :) I would definitely want to talk some more but I am unable to send you a message.

I got an acceptance letter from BU this morning, which is weird, considering I didn't apply this year :shrug:. I really hope that they didn't send out acceptances to people who haven't actually gotten in yet! I'm debating whether or not it's worth contacting them about; I feel like they'll figure it out on their own. Also hopefully I don't like, owe them tuition from forgetting to turn them down last year...

ok honestly what's up with GWU? Same thing happened to me! Maybe I'll see you on campus!

So weird! Maybe they've started trying to yield protect this year. That's really odd, because I feel like GWU gave out a lot of good news during last year's cycle.

Also congrats to you and @Abbah - Hopkins has been great, in my opinion! If you're still making a decision, I'm happy to answer any questions about the program, and if you ever feel like a tour of Baltimore, let me know! :)

I got an acceptance letter from BU this morning, which is weird, considering I didn't apply this year :shrug:. I really hope that they didn't send out acceptances to people who haven't actually gotten in yet! I'm debating whether or not it's worth contacting them about; I feel like they'll figure it out on their own. Also hopefully I don't like, owe them tuition from forgetting to turn them down last year...

So weird! Maybe they've started trying to yield protect this year. That's really odd, because I feel like GWU gave out a lot of good news during last year's cycle.

Also congrats to you and @Abbah - Hopkins has been great, in my opinion! If you're still making a decision, I'm happy to answer any questions about the program, and if you ever feel like a tour of Baltimore, let me know! :)
I just got a BU acceptance letter too...that's a pretty big mistake since I applied last year and turned them down...

I just got a BU acceptance letter too...that's a pretty big mistake since I applied last year and turned them down...
Maybe this means we will get our acceptances today and they just hit send to the wrong cohort?!? Fingers crossed I hear today. BU has be so behind and bad with communication this year.

Congrats to all those accepted to Emory!!! I love it here and am so glad I picked this school (which is saying a lot since it's finals week)!! Make sure to join the fb group for admitted students: Rollins School of Public Health, Class of 2021 Log into Facebook | Facebook

Thank you so much for posting this!! It's awesome to see that Rollins started getting back so early and is already making a community for this cycle. I was so surprised to hear back this early, especially because on SDN they seem to have poor communication with applications. But after Destination Public Health, Rollins is definitely a top choice for me! Super excited for Visit Emory :soexcited:

Does anyone know when Emory sends information about funding/financial aid/scholarships?

Reactions: 3 users