MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rap15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy SOPHAS day! Now that the application is open, I figured we could get a new thread going.

Undergraduate School: Private liberal arts college in Northeast
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38/3.49 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Psychology (B.A.) major/Medical Humanities minor (public health focus)
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): V-161 (88th %) Q-160 (76th %) AW-4.0 (60th%) (taken 8/25/17)

Experience/research:
-3 years as a sexual assault prevention peer educator (during undergrad)
-1 year as research assistant in infant psychology lab
-one summer as an intern at the New York State Department of Health
-1 year as a hotline advocate for survivors of sexual assault (local)
-2+ years at federal healthcare consulting firm (by the time I start classes)

Letters of Rec: my supervisor from my current position, 2 from 2 different college professors (one a public health professor, one not)

Interested in: women’s health policy, maternal/child health, reproductive health/rights, contraceptive access

I currently live/work in the DC area, so GW, Maryland (online), and UNC (online) are attractive options because I could keep working!

Applied: George Washington University (Maternal/Child Health, applied 11/3); University of Maryland online (Behavioral/Community Health - applied 11/20); University of North Carolina online (Health Policy - applied 1/17)
Accepted: GWU (MCH - accepted 11/20; switched to Health Policy - accepted 3/18); UNC online (Health Policy - accepted 2/6); Maryland online (BCH - accepted 2/20)
Rejected: none
Waitlisted: none
Attending: GWU (Health Policy)

(will update as I apply/hear back)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I would really like some input. I took the gre recently but not really pleased with my score. I know I can do better so I'm planning on taking it again. Just wondering when would be the latest to take it and also be able to send my score in a reasonable amount of time before deadlines? Some of the schools I'm applying to have a priority deadline in early/mid December.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello All!

So, I will be taking the GRE in 2 weeks and am currently studying all day, every day! When I get those results I will post all my stats, but as a preliminary:

Undergrad GPA: 3.65
Major: Biology
Minors: Psychology & Business

I have been pouring over the threads on this forum and reading everyone's amazing stats. I am now SO NERVOUS. My experience will be much different than most people. For the past 3+ years I was the primary caregiver to my mom who had ALS and unfortunately passed away this past June. For those who may be unfamiliar with this disease, it is brutal and basically traps the person within their own body. My mom progressed quickly and therefore her care needs were pretty much 24/7. Because of this I didn't have the ability to take on internships or do much volunteer work. I managed to get good grades and earn some class awards. I had a part time job as a home health aide with the VNA as well. I plan on writing about my experience caring for my mom & with the VNA in my Personal Statements. I hope admissions will take this circumstance into consideration, but am worried.
Can you guys tell me what you think? I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I could really use some advice -- I'm torn between staying at my current school which has a decent (and very cheap) MPH program, or going into debt for the opportunities offered by more established programs. Is it worth applying to Yale, J. Hopkins, etc.? Could I get in? Could I get scholarships anywhere? Would it even be worth it? Ahh so many questions to think about.

Undergraduate School: SEC school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.97/4.0
Major/minor: Public Health
GRE(including date taken): V-168 (98th%) Q-160 (75th%) AW-4.0 (60th%) (taken 9/23/19)

Experience/research:
-3 years in an org that represents the Dean of Students office. Served on a committee for the campus food pantry and also ran a fundraiser for Relay4life
-3 years working at the campus gym (1 year as an associate, 2 as a supervisor)
- President (and former treasurer) of the Undergrad Public Health Club on campus
- Recruited a class, built a curriculum, and taught English to kids in Brazil one summer
- Started a Nourish chapter and was president for a year...then the club kind of fell apart lol I might write about what I learned in my personal statement
- Healthcare quality improvement internship the university hospital
- Research assistant on Qualitative research on gun violence (trying to get it published atm)
- Research assistant on Lit Review on health disparities faced by deaf/HOH patients (just started this so also in the process of trying to get published)
- former treasurer of powerlifting club

Letters of Rec: Director of my internship program, director of the bachelors of public health program/former professor, and another former professor

Interested in: global health, community based health interventions, NTDs, health systems strengthening, health policy and really pretty much everything.

Applying: Johns Hopkins (Health systems), Yale (health policy), Emory (global health), Brown global health concentration. All submitted on 10/30.

Accepted: Johns Hopkins MSPH health systems (12/18/19), Yale (1/9/2020), Brown + 50% tuition (1/14/20), Emory (1/16/2020)

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: NYU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65
Major/minor: Political Science / Public Policy & Management
GRE(including date taken): Verbal 162, Quant 154, Writing 5

Experience/research:
- 2.5 years at a international global health nonprofit
- 6 months at public health nonprofit working with city DOH
- 2 years as a health educator volunteer in college
- 2 years as VP of Service for my service fraternity
- Various semester-long internships with international humanitarian nonprofit and national health advocacy nonprofit.

Letters of Rec: Old supervisor from my global health nonprofit job, 2 professors (this is probably my weakest area, since I never built great relationships with my profs in college. Lack of foresight on my part, but I didn't really get into public health until late in college/after graduation. Any advice?)

Interested in: Global Health, Global Health Policy, Global Epidemiology

Applying: University of Washington, George Washington, UC Berkeley, Colorado, Brown, Emory -- all for global health/global epidemiology

Will update this post when I (hopefully) get any kind of news from schools :)

Undergraduate School: Top 10 liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.46/3.63
Major/minor: German studies (B.A.), concentration in psych
GRE(including date taken): V-160 (85th %) Q-154 (55th %) AW-5.5 (taken 8/22/19)

Experience/research:
- 1 year teaching with Fulbright in Austria
- 1 year teaching German in college
- 1 year working at a gym (admin, but I learned a LOT & this is where much of my interest comes from)
- 1 year at major healthcare company (by time I start classes next fall)
- undergrad honors thesis was psych-heavy
- long-term volunteer with LLS in undergrad

Letters of Rec: 2 from 2 college professors that I'm still fairly close with, 1 from my advisor from Fulbright

Interested in: Nutrition for disease prevention, food accessibility, community health education

Applying: Nutrition, health promotion & education where nutrition tracks aren't available

GWU
UNC
Harvard
Tufts
George Mason
UT Houston
Emory

Right now, my top choices are GWU & UNC, but those would be dependent on obtaining some kind of scholarship if I got in; otherwise, UT Houston is a decent middle-road choice that would be really cheap since I'm a resident of TX. Thoughts on my chances of acceptance to these programs and chance at any scholarship money? Other options that might be good? Not really sure what a good safety school would be...

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: Large University in Virginia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.45
Major/minor: Foreign Language and Literature / History Minor
GRE(including date taken): Verbal 141, Quant 139, Writing 3 (August 2, 2019) [Retake in December 2019]

Experience/research:
- 1.5 years Obstetrics and Gynecology research lab
- 5 Months Environmental Science research lab
- 5 months Microbiology and Genomics research lab
- 1 year at Women's Health Research Institute
- 1 year volunteer Autism Society
- 1 summer research program
- 3 Research Poster Presentations, 1 Research Podium Presentation
- ABRCMS 2018 Poster Presentation [FASEB Award]
- 2 years Chair of a Pre-Med Club
-Chair of Student Government Association
- Co-Founder, Treasurer, and President of an organization for minority students
-Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship recipient
-2019/2020 Fulbright U.S. Program Semi-Finalist
- SMDEP Alumna (now known as SHPEP)
- English Teacher Abroad (March 2019 - Current)

Letters of Rec: Pre-Med Advisor, Lab Mentor (PhD), Current Supervisor

Interested in: Global Health, International Development, Community and Maternal Health

Applying:
Vanderbilt
Miami
Tulane
SUNY Albany
VCU
George Mason University
Arizona
Louisville

I want a career in International Medicine as a Physician in the future. I am hoping to get some great job and life experiences prior to coming back to the US and attempting to fix my GPA for medical school applications. I am facing a bit of an uphill battle at the moment with such poor grades and a poor GRE. I worked two jobs while in college and also took care of my Dad who passed away last year. I actually didn't student for this GRE from 3 weeks ago when I took it in Mexico City. Now that I know how it is I am aiming for a 305 at least on my retake. Applying for programs both stateside and abroad.

Hoping for the best for everyone in this cycle.

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: Private engineering school in the south
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.04 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Math (focus in engineering)
GRE(including date taken): 160V/86th, 158Q/67th, 5.5AW/98th (taken fall 2014)

Experience/research:
- 3 years (will be 4 by fall 2020) of work with a US public health regulator working on drug regulation and data analysis
- senior capstone studying environmental impacts of invasive species
- president of music organization in undergrad
- member of multiple honor societies in undergrad
- executive board of several undergrad organizations

Letters of Rec: supervisor from current and previous job, one professor (was also my advisor), and my current office's director

Interested in: drug quality, pregnancy outcomes in women with chronic illnesses, pharmaceutical surveillance

Applying: all MPH epidemiology! GW, UMD, JHU, USF, Emory, CUNY, Drexel (?)

Honestly, I'm pretty terrified of getting in anywhere let alone somewhere I can afford (I'm in-state for Maryland so that's my goal school). Anyone have any words of advice or encouragement? Do I even try? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.99 (UGH!)

Experience/research:
- 3 years (will be 4 by fall 2020) of work with a US public health regulator working on drug regulation and data analysis

Letters of Rec: supervisor from current and previous job, one professor (was also my advisor), and my current office's director

Interested in: drug quality, pregnancy outcomes in women with chronic illnesses, pharmaceutical surveillance

Applying: all MPH epidemiology! GW, UMD, JHU, USF, Emory, CUNY most likely

Honestly, I'm pretty terrified of getting in anywhere let alone somewhere I can afford (I'm in-state for Maryland so that's my goal school). Anyone have any words of advice or encouragement? Do I even try? Lol

If you don't try you'll never know! I'm in a kind of similar situation-- been worried about my chances because I have little background that's wholly relevant to PH and my grades in math/psych during college weren't great, but I've spoken to admissions counselors at UNC and GW and they both told me that doesn't even matter as long as it's clear in my SoP that I'm passionate and have long-term goals. Your GRE scores are higher than a lot of people that I've seen accepted around previous threads and I think you'll be able to swing it with your strong LoRs & a good statement. Similar to you though, I'm worried about the "getting in somewhere I can afford" hahaha-- here's to both of us making in-state and/or getting scholarship money :)

If you don't try you'll never know! I'm in a kind of similar situation-- been worried about my chances because I have little background that's wholly relevant to PH and my grades in math/psych during college weren't great, but I've spoken to admissions counselors at UNC and GW and they both told me that doesn't even matter as long as it's clear in my SoP that I'm passionate and have long-term goals. Your GRE scores are higher than a lot of people that I've seen accepted around previous threads and I think you'll be able to swing it with your strong LoRs & a good statement. Similar to you though, I'm worried about the "getting in somewhere I can afford" hahaha-- here's to both of us making in-state and/or getting scholarship money :)

OMG yes, sprinkling affordable school dust on you and me both :D

I'm someone who has chronic neurological illness, but my strong interest in public health is older than my own self-interest in it, so I'm super passionate about it. Hopefully I can make that come thru in words!

FWIW, I think you have a really interesting background, good GPA, and clear interests which seem appealing in an MPH candidate! Wishing you great luck!

Undergraduate School: Small Catholic Undergrad in the DMV area
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75
Major/minor: Psychology (B.A.) major
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.69
Grad studies (if applicable): MA in International Development
GRE(including date taken): Haven’t taken, but hoping to score above average in all sections.

Experience/research:
-1 year as an AmeriCorps VISTA (completed while in college) working with veterans.
-One summer working in a housing nonprofit in Massachusetts
-1 week working as a health volunteer in Trinidad
-3 summer working with kids as a camp counselor promoting healthy living and physical activity
-1 semester working on a psychology research project about veterans
-currently a board member for a local mental health nonprofit
-currently volunteering at a local hospital
-currently working in a prominent education nonprofit in the DMV in the military department

Letters of Rec: prominent professors of international development/ global health at my grad school.

Interested in: the intersection between poverty and health care accessibility, and black women's health. Also global health (hence my MA degree)

Applying: Brown, Dartmouth, Washington University... so far

I’m a little concerned that I do not have enough health experience? Do you all think I should add another health experience before I apply?

More experience is never a bad thing especially with an MPH, but I think you do have a lot of relevant experience! Since you're not up against a GRE expiration clock (cough, unlike some of us lol) if you aren't feeling 100%, you could always put it off (though I don't really see any reason to). I don't really know much about Brown and Dartmouth besides their obvious reputation, so I have no idea if you really need more than you already have especially with a great GPA!

Hi all! I would really like some input. I took the gre recently but not really pleased with my score. I know I can do better so I'm planning on taking it again. Just wondering when would be the latest to take it and also be able to send my score in a reasonable amount of time before deadlines? Some of the schools I'm applying to have a priority deadline in early/mid December.

Hmm, well I know that you can immediately send your score at the time of the test, but I'm not sure how long is takes for them to be "official" scores because it's been so long since I took it!

Google says it's between 10-15 days after the test, but you also need to submit your application as soon as it's done, even if you haven't taken your GRE yet. Scores can still be received after you submit and the application itself takes forever to verify.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Undergraduate School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.49/ 3.65
Major/minor: BA. International Studies, B.A Latin American Studies
GRE 157V 153Q
Work Experience
1.5 years as maternal and child health program manager at mid-sized NGO in rural Guatemala
1 year as development manager at NGO focused on maternal and child health/sexual and reproductive health in rural Uganda

Interested in: global health/maternal and child health
Applied: Harvard University, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Boston University
Accepted: UNC (12/13), Johns Hopkins University (01/07)
Rejected:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate School: CSU Long Beach 15'
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72/3.82 (SOPHAS verified)
Major: BM Flute Performance
GRE (including date taken): 149 Q/152 V/4.0 W as of 10/5...I mean could be worse I guess but...:(

Experience/work

In New England
- Have worked at a major health insurance plan for 3 1/2 years and counting. Started in the Medicare division call center, then transitioned to administrative work in the Medicare care management department

- Member of LGBTQ business resource group at work
*Part of the Health Topics Committee
*Panelist for company-wide Lunch and Learn regarding being out as LGBTQ in the workplace
*Upcoming panelist for Lunch and Learn about transitioning in the workplace
*Featured in video "The Importance of Having Allies in the Workplace" - posted to Linkedin, Glassdoor

- Participant in McLean Hospital's Deconstructing Stigma project - many different community outreach opportunities through the project + I'm on a giant poster in Logan Airport O____o

In California/undergrad career
- Assistant to our department's flute studio for 3 1/2 years
- Winner of multiple competitive music department and College of the Arts scholarships, particpant in many masterclasses and a few summer seminars

Me
- First-generation college student (which I discovered way after graduating)
- This basically explains everything else so here :p - Stories | Deconstructing Stigma

Letters of Rec: 1 supervisor from work, 1 advisor from Deconstructing Stigma, 1 flute professor from college

Interested in: LGBTQ health, mental health, and/or combination of both of those things :) Specifically would like to get into program implementation/evaluation

Applying: Yale (11/8), Brown (11/22), BU; I had originally intended to apply to Columbia as well, but I'm not going to be able to swing the app fee in time for the deadline
Accepted: Brown (1/16) + 25% tuition
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: University of California
Undergrad/Major GPA: 3.59; 3.689 | SOPHAS: 3.60
Major/Minor: Public Health Policy/Management
GRE: 155V 166Q 5W

EXPERIENCE:
- current Americorps member at a nonprofit doing emergency preparedness, recovery, and response for local and regional disasters
- current working group member for food waste and prevention, doing qualitative research to update their food recovery guide
- 2.5 years as undergraduate researcher with a focus on global health leadership and law
- 3 months as program support for a summer camp
- 4 months as wellness intern at school's wellness center
- 10 months as peer mentor for international first year students on campus
- 11 months as a creative visioning lead for our annual mental health conference at my university
- 4 months as PETA campus representative, representing asian american/pacific islander students
- 7 months as logistical director for a global health related graduate level seminar
- 3 months as healthcare program intern at nonprofit that serves homeless population
- 6 months as an elderly center volunteer at hospice

RESEARCH (no publications though ugh):
- currently doing quantitative analysis on comparing aggregate mood based on social media and behavioral health care utilization
- 11 months doing quantitative analysis on social media sentiments regarding climate change
- 6 months creating and disseminating a survey to female undergrads on campus to assess their knowledge and access to contraceptives
- 1 year conducting focus groups for various groups of students on campus and assessing sleep disorders and depression of undergrads on campus

LETTERS OF REC: senior manager from current job, previous direct supervisor (who is now an emergency manager for a different company), research mentor from current research project, 2 research professors

INTERESTED IN: mental health interventions in low disparity countries; quantitative analysis in research methodologies, global health

APPLYING: BU (Mental Health), Columbia University (Population & Family), Emory (Com Health), GWU (Health Promotion), JHU (International Health), USC (Global Health), Harvard (Health & Social Behavior), & Yale (Social & Behavioral)

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Cornell, will graduate May 2020
Undergrad GPA: 3.35 (SOPHAS verified)
Majors: Biological Sciences and French
GRE: 160V/86th, 161Q/76th, 4.5AW/81st (took 8/17/19)
Experience/Research:
-veterinary assistant for three summers (first two at clinic in hometown, third summer in Paris)
-Co-president of STEM outreach program for two years
-Co-president of sports club
-2 yrs research experience in cancer genetics
-biology student advisor

Interested in: cancer epidemiology, genetics/genomics. I only decided recently to look into MPH programs instead of taking a gap year and applying to vet school.

Applied: Boston University, Tufts, Dartmouth, Colorado, George Washington, UNC Chapel Hill (verified 10/30); University of Washington; applying to Cornell, University of Michigan, University of Edinburgh (all epidemiology)

LORs: Lab PI, bio faculty advisor, vet I worked with for two summers, French professor

Last edited:
Hey! I'm super excited and nervous about this whole process but looking forward to the journey!

Undergraduate School: Big 10 School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.864/3.825 | SOPHAS verified: 3.86
Major/minor: Public Health Science/Women's Studies Certificate Candidate
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): V-159 (83rd %) Q-156 (60th %) AW-5.0 (92nd%) (taken 8/17/19)

Experience/research:

-2 years as a peer mentor for incoming minority students at my university
-1 semester as research assistant on an African-American and rural infant mortality study (website extraction, editing surveys)
-Summer internship as development intern at national non-profit for women's health
-1 year as a volunteer at a low-income pregnancy center (administrative and clinical)
-3 years as the Vice President of a family science honor society (plan community service and professional development activities)
-2 years as a member of the School of Public Health Honor Society
-Study abroad trip comparing public health infrastructure in India to the U.S.
-2 years in the Global Public Health Scholars Program, with multiple global health classes, projects, and practicum experience
-Currently interning at the National Institutes of Health

Special Factors:

Ghanaian-American woman (2nd-gen American), Executive Director of an on-campus dance team (2 years as a member/1 year as Director)

Letters of Rec: my supervisor from the National Institutes of Health, my professor from my study abroad trip to India, my Global Scholars program director, my School of Public Health mentor (on the application that doesn't require a professor or a work supervisor)

Interested in: MPH in Global Epidemiology/Epidemiology, Certificate in maternal and child health (in the context of global health and health disparities)

I will be applying to Maternal and Child Health certificate programs at the schools that offer them.

Applied: University of Washington (Epi/MCH Track - submitted 11/22), Tulane University (Epi) (submitted 12/12), Emory (Global Epi) (submitted 12/7), GWU (Global Epi - submitted 11/22, SOPHAS verified 11/25), University of Pittsburgh (Epi) (submitted 12/12), BU (Epi and Biostats) (submitted 12/17)

Accepted: Tulane+20K (12/20), Pitt (1/9)+19K (1/15)+50%(1/27), GW (1/17)+32K(1/24), BU+35% (1/22), UW(1/28), Emory(2/3)+50%,10K REAL + 2K practicum (2/11)+30K MCH Fellowship(5/20) :clap:

Rejected: None

Attending: EMORY! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm currently a 1st year MPH student in the Health Policy & Management program at Emory, so if anyone has any questions about the applications process, my personal experience with anything, or grad life in general, DM me! :D I just finished my second week in grad school, I recommend y'all message me in a few more weeks for an accurate depiction of the course load. Lol :p

P.S. Good luck to you all by the way!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Undergraduate School: Miami University (OH) 2014 graduate
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.45
Major/minor: BA. International Studies, B.A Latin American Studies
GRE 157V 153Q
Work Experience
1.5 years as maternal and child health program manager at mid-sized NGO in rural Guatemala
1 year as development manager at NGO focused on maternal and child health/sexual and reproductive health in rural Uganda

Interested in: global health
Applying: UNC, Vanderbilt, U Penn, University Southern California, Tulane (maybe Boston and U Washington?)

What are my chances with these stats at the above schools? I feel like my international work experience stands out but that my GRE scores and GPA are sort of average. Are there other programs I should consider in addition to these if I am interested in global health? Is it worth applying to Harvard, JHU and/or Columbia? Thanks in advance for any input!
Any thoughts? :)

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to the public health world and would love any advice. I was hoping to find a one-year program, as I plan to attend law school after gaining my MPH degree (would focus in health law). I saw GW and Dartmouth offer accelerated programs, does anyone have any insider info or recommendations? I still need to take the GRE (two weeks from now!) but I did rather well on the LSAT early this summer (95th percentile). SOPHAS seems pretty straight forward, but again, I welcome any insight!

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to the public health world and would love any advice. I was hoping to find a one-year program, as I plan to attend law school after gaining my MPH degree (would focus in health law). I saw GW and Dartmouth offer accelerated programs, does anyone have any insider info or recommendations? I still need to take the GRE (two weeks from now!) but I did rather well on the LSAT early this summer (95th percentile). SOPHAS seems pretty straight forward, but again, I welcome any insight!
Have you considered looking into an MPH/JD dual degree?

Undergraduate School: Boston University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.76
Major/minor: Health Science/Human Physiology
GRE(including date taken): V-158 Q-157 AW-6.0 (taken 5/6/19)

Experience/research:
- Currently 3 months post-college as a program coordinator for a transplant outcomes research center at a large hospital system
- 2.5 years post-college as a Program Manager for a mobile health screening service and educational seminars for kidney disease patients
- 1 year Undergraduate research assistant in a family medicine/integrated care center
- 6 months Undergraduate infectious disease intern specializing in flu epidemiology
- 3 months Study abroad research intern in a diabetes clinic
- 3 months Intern at a non-profit in health care education and public health initiatives
- Global Public Health Brigade member - travelled to Honduras for public health initiative work
- 6 months working at a free LGBT STD clinic

Letters of Rec: 1 from my supervisor at my old post-college job, 1 from my supervisor from the family medicine center, 2 from 2 different college professors (both public health)

Interested in: community programs and health assessment, patient reported outcomes, health literacy levels, urban healthcare,

Applying: UCLA, UC Berkeley, UW, BU, GWU, UIC, JHU, Colorado (10/31 Verified)
Accepted: JHU (12/3), UIC (1/2)

I'm so nervous! Writing is not my strong suit so the statement of purpose/personal statements are really tripping me up.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the suggested 3 page limit for Johns Hopkins is single or double spaced?

Also it says 2 letters of rec should be academic...does that mean it has to be a former professor? Or could it just be someone who supervised one of my extracurriculars?

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: CSU Long Beach 15'
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.73/3.90 (I think? I know my overall by heart but not my major GPA)
Major: BM Flute Performance
GRE (including date taken): Taking 10/5, most recent mock exam was 153 Q/154 V

Experience/work

In New England
- Have worked at a major health insurance plan for 3 1/2 years and counting. Started in the Medicare division call center, then transitioned to administrative work in the Medicare care management department

- Member of LGBTQ business resource group at work
*Part of the Health Topics Committee
*Panelist for company-wide Lunch and Learn regarding being out as LGBTQ in the workplace
*Upcoming panelist for two Lunch and Learns: one about transitioning in the workplace (aimed at managers/directors) and one about suicide prevention/managing mental health during the holidays
*In an upcoming video that will be released to social media in October for National Coming Out Month

- Participant in McLean Hospital's Deconstructing Stigma project - many different community outreach opportunities through the project + I'll be on a giant poster in Logan Airport at some point O____o

In California/undergrad career
- Assistant to our department's flute studio for 3 1/2 years
- Winner of multiple competitive music department and College of the Arts scholarships, particpant in many masterclasses and a few summer seminars

Me
- First-generation college student (which I discovered way after graduating)
- This basically explains everything else so here :p - https://deconstructingstigma.org/stories?mgc_35=31/depression&mgi_35=1216/cameron

Letters of Rec: 1-2 supervisors from work, 1 Deconstructing Stigma advisor, 1-2 professors from school

Interested in: LGBTQ health, mental health, and/or combination of both of those things :) Specifically would like to get into program implementation/evaluation

Applying: In order of preference: Yale, Brown, Rutgers, BU, Tufts (maybe?)

I'm excited and nervous about the whole process. Studying like crazy for the GRE because I genuinely want to do well \o/

Your application looks really good, probably in stellar territory, I'd say apply to any and all schools you are interested in as I don't see any school being a reach for you per se, like if you applied to Harvard and JHU, you'd probably at least get into one of them, but also look at tution cost and don't be afraid to mention merit awards and scholarships that you get at one school to the other schools to see if they want to woo you to them.

Honestly, I haven't heard of Rutgers in terms of public health, make sure there programs in LGBTQ/mental health is what you want. Tufts is good if you want nutrition and their placement post grad is slight better than BU. BU . . . very overpriced, and the school doesn't have any super strong strengths in any area, they try to offer a basic education in a hodgepodge of areas. The issues with BU include that they have heavily promoted de-regulating e-cigs, which seems like they really jumped the gun, could possibly be lawsuits against the school, and the school's culture isn't very welcoming.

Hey guys!! I am interested in health law or a dual degree program (MPH + JD). I know UCLA has one, but I'm not sure what other schools do.

Also, does anyone know know someone who has applied or done a dual program like this? I've tried doing some research but I'm not really finding anything, I just wanna have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!!

Hey guys!! I am interested in health law or a dual degree program (MPH + JD). I know UCLA has one, but I'm not sure what other schools do.

Also, does anyone know know someone who has applied or done a dual program like this? I've tried doing some research but I'm not really finding anything, I just wanna have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!!

I know someone who did a joint JD/MPH program through Tufts (MPH part) and Boston College (law part). Link here

Tufts also has a JD/MPH agreement with Northeastern School of Law

Does anyone know if the suggested 3 page limit for Johns Hopkins is single or double spaced?

Also it says 2 letters of rec should be academic...does that mean it has to be a former professor? Or could it just be someone who supervised one of my extracurriculars?

I would usually assume double-spaced, but maybe others can chime in on this.

As for the recommendation, I'd think only people you interacted with in an academic capacity, so I guess it would depend on the extracurricular?

Also wanted to ask - would y'all say there's such thing as submitting your application too early? UMD has an open house at the end of October, but I'd planned on submitting SOPHAS by the end of September which would mean hopefully having the supplemental app in hand around the time of the open house, but now I'm wondering whether I should wait? Not really sure if there'd be a reason, though, so maybe I answered my own question :D

Trying to figure out safety schools for myself, too. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Thanks!!

I know for a fact that Virginia Commonwealth University has a dual MPH Program with the University of Richmond School of Law.

You would do the MPH at VCU and JD at U of R.

I know for a fact that Virginia Commonwealth University has a dual MPH Program with the University of Richmond School of Law.

You would do the MPH at VCU and JD at U of R.

Thank you so much! I'll look into it!

So I wanna meet the priority deadline of December 1st for all the schools that I'm applying for, but I haven't taken my GRE yet due to financial issues (BAD I KNOW) and i'm looking to take it ending of October/beginning of November....

If I were to meet the Dec.1 deadline with my scores, would I be able to retake the GRE to get a higher score after I already submitted my application?

Hi all!

I’m graduating in May with my MS in epi and am currently applying to epi PhD programs. I’m not a huge fan of grad cafe and really enjoyed being part of the MPH 2018 page. Would you all accept me as one of your own for this application season? :arghh:

So I wanna meet the priority deadline of December 1st for all the schools that I'm applying for, but I haven't taken my GRE yet due to financial issues (BAD I KNOW) and i'm looking to take it ending of October/beginning of November....

If I were to meet the Dec.1 deadline with my scores, would I be able to retake the GRE to get a higher score after I already submitted my application?
I took my GRE twice: once at the end of October and once at the end of November. A few of my programs had December 1 deadlines and this wasn’t a problem! As long as the test is taken before the submission date it’s usually fine if the scores are still processing. This varies by school and if you’re worried you could always reach out to admission departments, they’re usually very nice.

Your application looks really good, probably in stellar territory, I'd say apply to any and all schools you are interested in as I don't see any school being a reach for you per se, like if you applied to Harvard and JHU, you'd probably at least get into one of them, but also look at tution cost and don't be afraid to mention merit awards and scholarships that you get at one school to the other schools to see if they want to woo you to them.

Honestly, I haven't heard of Rutgers in terms of public health, make sure there programs in LGBTQ/mental health is what you want. Tufts is good if you want nutrition and their placement post grad is slight better than BU. BU . . . very overpriced, and the school doesn't have any super strong strengths in any area, they try to offer a basic education in a hodgepodge of areas. The issues with BU include that they have heavily promoted de-regulating e-cigs, which seems like they really jumped the gun, could possibly be lawsuits against the school, and the school's culture isn't very welcoming.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm super flattered :) I've heard mixed things about BU, mostly towards the negative side of things at this point so it may come off of my list. Didn't know about the pending lawsuits and e-cig stuff. I had someone else tell me that because the program is so big, people tend to get lost in the shuffle during their time there. I do like the program format in general and staying local will probably still allow me to work at least part time at my current job....but the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives. :(

Rutgers is the first public health program in the country to offer an MPH that specializes in LGBTQ health, which is amazing regardless of whether or not I decide to apply and/or attend. But, I don't know as much about it as I do about Yale and Brown, so I'd have to take a trip out there to see if I like the vibe if, by March, I'm seriously considering it. Yale and Brown are definite locks no matter what.

I took my GRE twice: once at the end of October and once at the end of November. A few of my programs had December 1 deadlines and this wasn’t a problem! As long as the test is taken before the submission date it’s usually fine if the scores are still processing. This varies by school and if you’re worried you could always reach out to admission departments, they’re usually very nice.

Awesome this is good to hear! I'm applying to some harder schools like UCLA, USC and Columbia and I've heard different things on how strict they are, but I'll call tomorrow!

Thanks!!
Can't speak to JD/MPH but I'm applying currently for MD/MPH. For this program you have to have finished 3 years (out of 4) of medical school and then you apply for the MPH for a year. Other (easier) option is to apply MD/MPH from the beginning and get accepted but this process goes through the med school- the thinking is if you can get into the MD program you're qualified for the MPH program as well and so you get automatic acceptance and I'd assume that's the case with the JD programs as well.

Can't speak to JD/MPH but I'm applying currently for MD/MPH. For this program you have to have finished 3 years (out of 4) of medical school and then you apply for the MPH for a year. Other (easier) option is to apply MD/MPH from the beginning and get accepted but this process goes through the med school- the thinking is if you can get into the MD program you're qualified for the MPH program as well and so you get automatic acceptance and I'd assume that's the case with the JD programs as well.

I wish they had the same admission process but the MPH/JD admission is actually completely different. You apply to MPH program and JD program separately and neither schools are influenced by the other, so basically you either get into both or one or the other /:

Hello!

Undergrad School: Private Catholic Liberal Arts College in Midwest
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72
Major/Minor: Integrative Health Science/Peace Studies
GRE: 157 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW

Experience/Research/Extracurriculars:
-1 Semester Abroad Living and Studying in South Africa
-3 Semesters developing and implementing research on physical activity habits of parents and children
-Summer Internship in St. Louis working with an Epidemiologist at a Maternal and Child Health Nonprofit
-Experience analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data related to Maternal and Child Health
-4 years working at on-campus job coordinating and participating on service learning/immersion trips

LORs: from two professors familiar with my research experience, 1 from epidemiologist I worked with in St. Louis

I'm planning on applying to Epi programs focusing on Maternal and Child Health

Current list:
University of Minnesota MPH Epidemiology
University of Illinois Chicago MPH in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology
Boston University MPH in Epidemiology
St. Louis University MPH in Epidemiology with Maternal and Child Health Focus
Tulane University MPH in Epidemiology

A little worried about trying to go straight to graduate school from my undergraduate degree. However, I am confident in what I want to do so I don't see the point in taking a gap year. If anyone has any tips or would like to suggest any other programs for the path I'm interested in that would be greatly appreciated. Minnesota is my top program as of this moment!

Hello! Any advice on other schools I should apply to (safety), if I am reaching, or should consider anywhere else for health behavior/community health and education concentrations, and potentially a certificate in maternal and child health!

Undergraduate School:
UNC
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.41/3.57/3.65
Major/Minor: Public Policy/Global Studies; concentrations on health policy & global health
GRE: will take in 3 weeks

-currently an AmeriCorps VISTA for a non-profit focused on alleviating barriers to food insecurity and inaccessibility (1 year position)
-1 semester studying abroad on a public health program in South America; interned at a pediatric hospital for a national program that ensures access to congenital heart disease treatment for uninsured children
-2 years on the executive board of a non-profit; taught health and nutrition lessons in low-income elementary schools
-1 semester (senior capstone) working with the Division of Public Health to analyze the influence of fatherhood programs on perinatal health
-3 years teaching in an elementary afterschool program

Interests: health inequities/disparities, maternal health behaviors affecting perinatal health; social determinants; food insecurity; health education

Applying to: UNC (health behavior), U Washington (health services- social & behavioral sciences), U Michigan Ann Arbor (health behavior and education), Emory (behavioral sciences & health education), maybe NYU (community health science and practice-- thoughts??)

Considering U Pittsburgh, Boston University, Columbia ???

**Thoughts on these specific schools and others I should consider would be wonderful!!

Hello! Any advice on other schools I should apply to (safety), if I am reaching, or should consider anywhere else for health behavior/community health and education concentrations, and potentially a certificate in maternal and child health!

Undergraduate School:
UNC
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.41/3.57/3.65
Major/Minor: Public Policy/Global Studies; concentrations on health policy & global health
GRE: will take in 3 weeks

-currently an AmeriCorps VISTA for a non-profit focused on alleviating barriers to food insecurity and inaccessibility (1 year position)
-1 semester studying abroad on a public health program in South America; interned at a pediatric hospital for a national program that ensures access to congenital heart disease treatment for uninsured children
-2 years on the executive board of a non-profit; taught health and nutrition lessons in low-income elementary schools
-1 semester (senior capstone) working with the Division of Public Health to analyze the influence of fatherhood programs on perinatal health
-3 years teaching in an elementary afterschool program

Interests: health inequities/disparities, maternal health behaviors affecting perinatal health; social determinants; food insecurity; health education

Applying to: UNC (health behavior), U Washington (health services- social & behavioral sciences), U Michigan Ann Arbor (health behavior and education), Emory (behavioral sciences & health education), maybe NYU (community health science and practice-- thoughts??)

Considering U Pittsburgh, Boston University, Columbia ???

**Thoughts on these specific schools and others I should consider would be wonderful!!
When I applied to Pitt two years ago they were VERY stingy with financial aid. Worse than MPH funding elsewhere.

What about Yale? I got in with similar stats as you two years ago.

Hello!

Undergrad School: Private Catholic Liberal Arts College in Midwest
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72
Major/Minor: Integrative Health Science/Peace Studies
GRE: 157 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW

-1 Semester Abroad Living and Studying in South Africa
-3 Semesters developing and implementing research on physical activity habits of parents and children
-Summer Internship in St. Louis working with an Epidemiologist at a Maternal and Child Health Nonprofit
-Experience analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data related to Maternal and Child Health
-4 years working at on-campus job coordinating and participating on service learning/immersion trips

LORs: from two professors familiar with my research experience, 1 from epidemiologist I worked with in St. Louis

I'm planning on applying to Epi programs focusing on Maternal and Child Health

Current list:
University of Minnesota MPH Epidemiology
University of Illinois Chicago MPH in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology
Boston University MPH in Epidemiology
St. Louis University MPH in Epidemiology with Maternal and Child Health Focus
Tulane University MPH in Epidemiology

A little worried about trying to go straight to graduate school from my undergraduate degree. However, I am confident in what I want to do so I don't see the point in taking a gap year. If anyone has any tips or would like to suggest any other programs for the path I'm interested in that would be greatly appreciated. Minnesota is my top program as of this moment!
University of Wisconsin just hired a few maternal and child health faculty for their MS epi and pop health program.

I currently am in the MS program and am applying to PhD programs now. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

When I applied to Pitt two years ago they were VERY stingy with financial aid. Worse than MPH funding elsewhere.

What about Yale? I got in with similar stats as you two years ago.

Thanks for the input! How is Yale's financial aid?

Hi Everyone!

Undergraduate School: Large public university in the south
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33/3.67
Major/minor: Psychology (B.S.)
GRE(including date taken): Have not taken yet but will on 10/16

Experience/research:
-1 year as an international marketing intern
-1 year clinical research intern for one of the largest PTSD studies in the worl
-1 year as clinical research assistant/coordinator at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta - oncology department
-1 year (by the time I get to school) as a Research Coordinator with my old internship, coordinating studies for civillian PTSD
-Poster presentation at international conference on my longitudinal study of PTSD symptoms in women
-Will (hopefully) be published come time for school on psychometric scales to measure PTSD

Letters of Rec: 3 from PI's I have worked with and still work with, and 1 professor from undergrad that I took a couple of classes from

Interested in: health policy/management, women's health, mental health

Applying: Emory (Health Policy/Management), Georgia State (Health Policy/Management), Brown (Health Services), GW (Health Policy), UNC (Health Policy/Management), Vanderbilt (Health Policy), Yale (Health Policy)

A little worried about my GPA. Have not taken the GRE yet but I think I will do average on them. Anyone have recommendations or just wise words for me? Any thoughts for other schools I should be applying to?

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.99 (UGH!)

Experience/research:

Applying: all MPH epidemiology! GW, UMD, JHU, USF, Emory, CUNY most likely

I would be worried about your GRE scores, not that they're bad but rather that they are "expiring" in the middle of the application season! Have you spoken to your prospective schools about this?

Undergrad School: University of Wisconsin
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3 (SOPHAS GPA is 3.42)
Major/Minor: Psychology and Conservation Biology with certificates in Global Health and Environmental Studies
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.6
Grad Studies (if applicable): Epidemiology MS
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 10/19/17: V154 Q157 AWA5.0; 11/16/17: V151 Q159 AWA5.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-2 years psychology research experience (prejudice and diversity lab/ motivations in learning lab)
-Traveled to Sri Lanka as part of my Global Health field experience where we built a playground at an elementary school, learned about the health care systems and barriers to health care access, and participated in my community health projects.
-2 years experience in injury and mental health research: I was a practicing epidemiologist during this time as it was my PA position in graduate school; 2 first author manuscripts in review and 5 other manuscripts in review/ in press with many more in progress
-2 National presentations and 6 local presentations
-I have mentored 6 undergraduate students in our lab over the past two years, two of which were honors students that required a great deal of more intense mentorship as they were "in charge" of their own projects.
-1 year lab manager experience
-Rather than using an existing dataset for my thesis I opted to gather my own data which meant I was required to be much more involved in the research planning and IRB processes.

Special factors:
First generation student from a low income family that was also adopted
Connections at UNC and Colorado through my advisor (we collaborated on projects)

Interested in: Mental health in adolescent and emerging adult populations; injury and violence prevention globally (Epidemiology PhD programs)
Applied(include the date of application): Wisconsin (would be applying as a continuation of my MS), Harvard, Yale, Emory, UNC, JHU, Indiana, Pitt, Washington, Colorado, Tulane, SLU, Brown
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reserved (I'll edited later).