MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would be worried about your GRE scores, not that they're bad but rather that they are "expiring" in the middle of the application season! Have you spoken to your prospective schools about this?

GRE scores from when I took them don't expire until the end of the "school year" which is in July luckily! Their expiration policy has changed now, but I'm still in that batch of lucky people.

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0
Major/Minor: Global Health
GRE:
143 V, 147 Q, 3.0 AW

Experience/Research/Extracurriculars:
- 1st degree from Western Michigan University where I received a 2.5. I know, it's terrible. But I had no idea what I wanted to do back then and my priorities weren't straight. I graduated from there 7 years ago. I wasn't even familiar with the area of public health back then.
- I've always held an interest in infectious diseases (specifically Ebola) but it was just something I would read on the side and never thought of as a career. I later decided to go back to school to better qualify for an MPH. So my 2nd Bachelors degree is from Arizona State University where I currently hold a 4.0 cumulative GPA!
- I spent a summer in Belize on a medical mission trip. We set up field clinics and treated acute conditions.
- I speak Spanish.
- Worked as a bed side registrar in the Emergency Room/Trauma/Family Labor departments for 2 years.
- Currently work in the OB/GYN area as a coordinator and medical coder for almost 4 years.
- While at WMU, I worked for the founder of an international medical group doing research.
- Studied infectious diseases in England this summer. I've also studied abroad in Italy and am an avid world traveler outside of school programs.

Applying:
Emory (8/19), Columbia (9/6), JHU (8/26), GWU (9/6), Tulane (9/6), Mount Sinai (9/6), BU (11/9), Univ of Minn (11/14), NYU (11/14)

Accepted: Mount Sinai (11/19)

Rejected: GWU (9/30), JHU (11/1), Tulane (11/8)

I'm obviously most concerned about my GRE. My practice tests were way higher but I've never done well on timed standardized tests. I'm really counting on my experience and my Global Health GPA.

Has anyone heard back from Emory? That's my top choice and I have yet to receive a confirmation email.

Also, does anyone have any idea what some good safety schools are? I have a feeling my previous GPA and GRE may sink my application. Or maybe know of schools that look less at the numbers and more into the experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0
Major/Minor: Global Health
GRE:
143 V, 147 Q, 3.0 AW

- 1st degree from Western Michigan University where I received a 2.5. I know, it's terrible. But I had no idea what I wanted to do back then and my priorities weren't straight. I graduated from there 7 years ago. I wasn't even familiar with the area of public health back then.
- I've always held an interest in infectious diseases (specifically Ebola) but it was just something I would read on the side and never thought of as a career. I later decided to go back to school to better qualify for an MPH. So my 2nd Bachelors degree is from Arizona State University where I currently hold a 4.0 cumulative GPA!
- I spent a summer in Belize on a medical mission trip. We set up field clinics and treated acute conditions.
- I speak Spanish.
- Worked as a bed side registrar in the Emergency Room/Trauma/Family Labor departments for 2 years.
- Currently work in the OB/GYN area as a coordinator and medical coder for almost 4 years.
- While at WMU, I worked for the founder of an international medical group doing research.
- Studied infectious diseases in England this summer. I've also studied abroad in Italy and am an avid world traveler outside of school programs.

Applying:
Emory (8/19), Columbia (9/6), Johns Hopkins (8/26), George Washington (9/6), Tulane (9/6), Mount Sinai (9/6)

Accepted: TBA

Rejected: George Washington (9/30)

I'm obviously most concerned about my GRE. My practice tests were way higher but I've never done well on timed standardized tests. I'm really counting on my experience and my Global Health GPA.

Has anyone heard back from Emory? That's my top choice and I have yet to receive a confirmation email.

Also, does anyone have any idea what some good safety schools are? I have a feeling my previous GPA and GRE may sink my application. Or maybe know of schools that look less at the numbers and more into the experience?

I think you should consider applying to BU and Tufts. I've chatted with admissions counselors from both and they really focus on your Statement of Purpose, passion for PH, and any relevant experience you can bring.

Can I ask how long SOPHAS took to process your application? I think I'm almost ready to submit mine and would love to get an idea of the timeframe!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FAFSA Opened today! I submitted mine a few minutes ago.

I submitted mine today as well! Fingers crossed schools are generous with merit aid because it seems like loans and work-study are the only federal aid options available.

My GPA isn't the greatest so I'm hoping I can get a RA position or GA position somewhere on campus. Fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone with merit aid!

Undergrad School: Midsize Southern Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.74/3.51
Major/Minor: Major: Biology, Minors: Anthropology & Chemistry
GRE: 160V, 154Q, 4.5 AW

- 2+ years of Public Health research collecting & interpreting data collected from surveys conducted in at-risk of lead poisoning communities around my college
- Currently working on my undergrad thesis on conducting CBPR with community members and leaders to find community-specific solutions to increase awareness about the lead contamination.
- Spent a summer at the National Institutes of Health researching family and physician communication of disease risk (Funding through a competitive international research program with an acceptance rate of ~5%)
- Spent a summer conducting mycological research at R1 university looking at antifungal susceptibility of a species of fungus (Funding through a personal NSF grant)
- 7+ poster & oral presentations at national, state, & local conferences
- Elected onto Honors College Council. President for 2 terms, co-chair for 2 terms.
- 2+ years volunteering for Hospice
- 2 years of peer mentoring

Interested in: community health, sociomedical sciences, diversity in relation to health

Applying: Penn State (Community & Behavior), Drexel (Comm Health), Columbia (Sociomedical)
Accepted: Penn State (1/20), Drexel+15k (1/24), Columbia (2/3)

Mostly worried about my GRE score (practices are looking pretty average) and the fact my background is mostly pre-med. Didn't even think about doing an MPH (despite the fact that everyone in my research lab started pre-med and was converted to MPH) until this summer when I found out that I really enjoyed the community health aspect of research and decided I maybe wasn't quite ready for medical school yet.

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: top 25 private university on the west coast
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62/3.58
Major/minor: Neuroscience (B.A.) major / Gender Studies minor
GRE(including date taken): V-166 (97th %) Q-164 (84th %) AW-5.0 (92nd %) (taken 9/12/19)

Experience/research:
-3 years as an Emergency Medical Technician with licenses in Massachusetts and California
-3 years in the EMT organization at school, with 1 year as director of training and 1 year as the overall director. Estimated about 150 hours of patient contact and about 2500 hours of work overall.
-attended 2 conferences related to collegiate emergency medicine on behalf of the university
-2 years as a CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor at school where I taught many different student groups, school safety teams, and professor departments
-1 year as research assistant in a neuroscience lab on campus with an independent project
-1 summer as a receptionist at a high-end nail salon
-1 summer as an EMT at an ambulance company
-one graduate course in sexually transmitted diseases and several senior capstone classes where I had to write about public policy relating to sexual health

Letters of Rec: 1 from my advisor and supervisor of my student EMT organization (who I know very very well and collaborated on many projects with), 1 from my lab PI, and 1 from my writing professor (a class where I wrote persuasive research papers about several different sexual health issues)

Interested in: women’s health policy, sexually transmitted diseases, reproductive health/rights, prison healthcare (specifically transgender and pregnancy-related)

Applying: GW (Maternal and Child Health) (12/15), JHU (MSPH in Population, Family, and Reproductive Health)(12/29), and Columbia (Population and Family Health)(12/1) - Verified on SOPHAS 12/4
Accepted: JHU MSPH (sent to review 12/31, accepted 1/2)
Rejected: TBD
I'm pretty nervous that I don't have enough public health experience since most of mine is in emergency medicine. I write in my personal statement about initially wanting to be an OB/GYN, but after caring for patients firsthand I realized I could better help change the sexual health stigmas and systems from the top-down. I'm also worried that I am not applying to enough programs, but so few have the specific sexual health tracts that I am looking for.

I'm in the process of moving to DC from Mass right now, and JHU is by far my first choice! Their program most closely fits with my sexual health interests and it would require minimal relocation efforts.

Any comments on these schools or anything else would be amazing!

Last edited:
I think you should consider applying to BU and Tufts. I've chatted with admissions counselors from both and they really focus on your Statement of Purpose, passion for PH, and any relevant experience you can bring.

Can I ask how long SOPHAS took to process your application? I think I'm almost ready to submit mine and would love to get an idea of the timeframe!

I submitted my SOPHAS app on 8/19 with all my recommendations and was completed on 8/26. My transcripts weren't entered completely so I had a bit of a delay with that. Everything was done (transcripts, course verification) and verified on 9/6.

I submitted my SOPHAS app on 8/19 with all my recommendations and was completed on 8/26. My transcripts weren't entered completely so I had a bit of a delay with that. Everything was done (transcripts, course verification) and verified on 9/6.

Oh wow, you are so far ahead of the game!! I’m aiming to get everything in by November and I thought that was pretty good, haha

@mak_ham Have you heard good things about the Stanford M.S. Clinical Epidemiology program? I didn't know they offered that degree and it seems intriguing, although it would definitely be a crazy reach for me to apply

After stalking the old pages for months I thought it was time to write my own.

Undergrad School: SEC School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.83 (SOPHAS GPA is 3.75, major GPA: 3.9)
Major/Minor: BA in Public Health, minor in Women and Gender Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 07/22/19: V153 Q152 AWA5
Experience/Research:
-2 years Heath extension peace corps volunteer in West Africa
-Worked at the community clinic for over 900 hours by COS
-Undergraduate research grant to study HPV and HIV. Led to publication in a journal
- Intern- Teaching English as a Foreign Language while studying abroad for a semester in Chiang Mai, Thailand
Special factors: First generation student, Coverdell eligible through Peace Corps

Recommendations: 1 from Peace Corps Director, 1 from research advisor/ mentor, 1 from undergraduate advisor

Interested in: Global health, women's health, sexual and reproductive health

Applied: UPenn (Global Health), GW (Global Health Program Design Monitoring and Evaluation), BU (Global Health Program Design Monitoring and Evaluation), Tulane (international health ), Brown (Global Public Health), Harvard (Health and Social Behavior), Emory (Global Health- sexual and reproductive health and population studies), UNC (Global Health)(All verified on 9/25)
Accepted: Tulane (10/28), GW +$ (11/20), UPenn -Coverdell (12/4), UNC (12/10), Emory -Coverdell (1/5), BU + 35% tuition (1/22), Brown (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Is anyone applying to CUNY?? The website and SOPHAS say they want 2 recommendation letters but SOPHAS has a minimum of 3 letters??????

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate School: Private liberal arts college. Class of 2020
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65/4.0 (WES verified 9/13/19)/ 3.85/4.0 (Major GPA)
Major/minor: Bachelor of Science in Life Sciences (Honors)
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): V-166 (97th %) Q-168 (93rd %) AW-6.0 (99th%) (taken only once on 07/25/19)

Experience/research:
- 3 month internship at a large pharmaceutical MNC in their health economics and market access team. Worked on a lot of strategy generation and literature reviews for atrial fibrillation, high-energy devices, etc.
- 2 month internship at a separate large pharmaceutical MNC in their patient access team. Similar to the first experience but primarily worked on plaque psoriasis with the added benefit of writing up some sections on an upcoming prospective study.
- 2 research postings in computational biology and molecular biology labs with 2 co-authored papers; currently working on my final-year thesis
- 2 month internship in the R&D sector of a pharmaceutical startup. Worked on interventions for Zika and Yellow Fever with one of the interventions currently in phase I clinical trials.
- Some clinical and hospital volunteering experience. Didn't clock in many hours since it's rather hard to get shadowing opportunities here.
- Unrelated things: been playing the violin for around 15 years now, trained in kickboxing and what not for 8 years, and some other things. Doubt that they'll be weighted heavily since this isn't undergraduate admissions.

Letters of Rec: 2 letters written by professors I directly worked under and got co-authored papers for; have taken their classes too and am personally very close to them outside of classwork/research work. 1 letter written by my supervisor from the 3-month stint at the pharma MNC.

Interested in: MPH in Health Policy, MSPH, MHS. Unsure if I want to enter the work-force directly after the master's program or continue my studies at the PhD level. I'm applying straight out of undergrad since I have a pretty clear goal of being involved in health economics and outcomes research (at least in this moment) and figured it'd save time especially if I pursue a PhD

Applying: JHU (MHS in Global Health Econs, MHS Health Economics and Outcomes Research, and MSPH in Health Policy), Yale & Columbia (MPH in Health Policy), LSE MSc in International Health Policy (Health Econs)
Accepted: JHU MHS in Global Health Econs, JHU MHS in HEOR, JHU MSPH in Health Policy
Rejected:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Major/Minor: BA in Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken): V156 Q146 AW:4.0 (10/05/19)
Experience/Research:
- Over 3 years of experience as a research assistant in various departments including women's health, psychology, and biology
- Currently working at an admin/research role at A national nonprofit- forming great networks
- Experience working in communities abroad
- Co-authored a Medicaid 101 issue brief as a health policy intern
- Over 2 years of mentoring freshman and sophomores
- Formed and led a student organization as a community for students
- Volunteers for over 100 hours at the Psychiatry department of a hospital
- Prior experience in foundational public health courses with exceptional grades in all

Recommendations: 2 letters from high-level leaders at the Nonprofit, 1 letter from an academic advisor who knows my story really well, 2 letters from professors from the Public Health Department - one of which is from the dean of the school's Global Health program.

Interested in: Global health, health policy, and program implementation

Applied: GW (Global Health Policy), Tulane (International Health and Development), Brown (General MPH), Emory (Global Health- Community Health Development), UNC (Global Health), Hopkins (International Health), - All Verified (11.11.19), U of Washington (Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all :)

Undergrad School: Large State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.76/4.0 (SOPHAS verified 3.71)
Major/Minor: Public Health (B.S.)
GRE: 159 V (83rd), 157 Q (64th), 5.0 AW (92nd) (Taken 8/16/2019)

- 1 year working as a research assistant within my school for an NIH funded project (trauma-sensitive yoga for boys in the juvenile justice system)
- Summer internship with an aerospace manufacturing company (worked in their environment, health, and safety department and shadowed an industrial hygienist)
- 2 accepted presentations for study mentioned above (APHA meeting and ISTSS meeting)
- Accepted to present at a conference about PrEP use and its stigma
- 2nd author of a published article about transgender patient/provider communication (worked on with a professor of mine)
- Treasurer and VP for greek organization and member of public health club
- Honors student

LOR: Supervisor from my internship, PI from my research team, and professor whom I worked on the transgender patient/provider paper with.

Interests: communicable diseases, NTDs, sex trafficking, PTSD studies

Applying to.... Emory (Epidemiology) , GA State Univ (Epidemiology)

@mak_ham Have you heard good things about the Stanford M.S. Clinical Epidemiology program? I didn't know they offered that degree and it seems intriguing, although it would definitely be a crazy reach for me to apply
I haven’t heard anything specific about the program really! My main reason for applying is to work with a specific professor . If you’re interested, you should apply!

Is anybody going to Emory's Destination Public Health event? I applied for the travel grant and got some funding. I saw when I applied that preference is given to 2020 accepted students but I heard they don't actually send out acceptances until closer to December. Does this mean I could already be accepted? I'm going crazy over here because Emory is my top school!

Is anybody going to Emory's Destination Public Health event? I applied for the travel grant and got some funding. I saw when I applied that preference is given to 2020 accepted students but I heard they don't actually send out acceptances until closer to December. Does this mean I could already be accepted? I'm going crazy over here because Emory is my top school!
I’m going! I got a travel grant too but I haven’t sent in my application yet, so I’m not sure.

Does anyone know how long it takes for rolling admissions? My top pick is the University of Louisville and they have rolling. Should I expect a decision within 2-3 weeks of SOPHAS verification?

I'm an international applicant (medical doctor in UK) applying for MPH-45 Harvard (SBS). Would anyone here recommend that I retake the GRE? My scores are Q 157 (64%), V 164 (94%), W 5.5 (98%).

Currently, the Harvard website recommends above 60th per centile in quant, but I understand it was previously 65, hence the worry.

My application is otherwise quite strong. My GPA should be 3.5 or above from a top 3 university in UK (with 2 prizes). I have worked for our healthcare system for 3 years and am training in anaesthesiology. I also have 4 peer-reviewed publications, 10 international poster presentations. I also speak 3 languages and have my own non-profit organisation.

Undergrad School: Large Private University in Utah
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56/3.75 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Epidemiology (B.S.)
GRE: 161 V (88th), 160 Q (73rd), 5.0 AW (92nd) (Taken 10/11/2019)

- Co-founder of International Humanitarian NGO working in rural Nicaragua providing clean water systems. Worked on developing implementation program that focuses on local leadership development, family involvement at the village level, and empowerment of mothers
-Some data on the company: over $100k in funding, 1 million gallons of water filtered in the last 3 years, providing sustainable clean water for 1000+ people
-Awarded $15,000 funding for above project from Ballard Center for Social Innovation as award for "Best Venture" and "Best Original Product"
-1 year as Biostatistics TA, nominated and awarded TA of the Year for the Public Health Department
-proficient in SAS
-2 years research assistant, one publication as first author, one paper under review (second author), three poster presentations with two upcoming, awarded "Best Undergraduate Poster Presentation" at Utah Neuroscience Symposium, currently work as data analyst for 3 different professors
-research focuses: school nutrition in minority communities, school lunch debt policy, addiction and mental health correlates,
-6 month internship at county health department, worked as asthma educator doing in home education for clients with severe asthma, managed database of client data
-Currently applying for a university grant to start a project on post-residential treatment outcome in addiction treatment and relapse prevention
Notes: not really applicable but things that make me interesting include, recovered from severe car accident and broken back to finish multiple marathons and trail ultra marathons, climb multiple mountains over 19k feet; over 1000 hours of community service as an undergrad;

LOR: 3 professors, two who employed me as a TA, one who is co-author and PI of multiple research projects (would I benefit from including a fourth reference from professional? I can easily get a recommendation from a board member of the NGO I founded)

Interests: Healthcare Management, Healthy Systems Reform, International Health Policy, Addiction & Substance Abuse

Applied (Verified 11/20): Yale (HCM), Boston (HCM & MBA), GWU (Health Policy), UNC (HCM), Michigan (HCM), Emory (HCM), Tufts

Am I shooting too high? I feel severely under-qualified to be applying to top 10 schools but my ambition is making me go for it. Should I add another back up option in addition to Tufts?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Large Private University in Utah
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.46/3.77
Major/Minor: Epidemiology (B.S.)
GRE: 161 V (88th), 160 Q (73rd), 5.0 AW (92nd) (Taken 10/11/2019)

- Co-founder of International Humanitarian NGO working in rural Nicaragua providing clean water systems. Worked on developing implementation program that focuses on local leadership development, family involvement at the village level, and empowerment of mothers
-Some data on the company: over $100k in funding, 1 million gallons of water filtered in the last 3 years, providing sustainable clean water for 1000+ people
-Awarded $15,000 funding for above project from Ballard Center for Social Innovation as award for "Best Venture" and "Best Original Product"
-1 year as Biostatistics TA, nominated and awarded TA of the Year for the Public Health Department
-proficient in SAS
-2 years research assistant, one publication as first author, one paper under review (second author), three poster presentations with two upcoming, awarded "Best Undergraduate Poster Presentation" at Utah Neuroscience Symposium, currently work as data analyst for 3 different professors
-research focuses: school nutrition in minority communities, school lunch debt policy, addiction and mental health correlates,
-6 month internship at county health department, worked as asthma educator doing in home education for clients with severe asthma, managed database of client data
-Currently applying for a university grant to start a project on post-residential treatment outcome in addiction treatment and relapse prevention
Notes: not really applicable but things that make me interesting include, recovered from severe car accident and broken back to finish multiple marathons and trail ultra marathons, climb multiple mountains over 19k feet; over 1000 hours of community service as an undergrad;

LOR: 3 professors, two who employed me as a TA, one who is co-author and PI of multiple research projects (would I benefit from including a fourth reference from professional? I can easily get a recommendation from a board member of the NGO I founded)

Interests: Healthcare Management, Healthy Systems Reform, International Health Policy, Addiction & Substance Abuse

Applying to.... Yale (HCM), Boston (HCM & MBA), GWU (Health Policy), UNC (HCM), Michigan (HCM), Emory (HCM), Tufts

Am I shooting too high? I feel severely under-qualified to be applying to top 10 schools but my ambition is making me go for it. Should I add another back up option in addition to Tufts?
I would not waste money applying to other programs unless you honestly believe you might not get in anywhere. From what I can see you will almost 100% get offered a spot somewhere on your list. I got into BU, GWU, and Yale with worse stats and less experience. Granted this was for a different concentration.

Got verified today...and now we wait (for decisions and supplements, of course!)!

Hope everyone is trucking thru application season!

Undergraduate School: University of California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.97 / 3.44 (Verified)
Major/minor: B.A. in Public Policy (Dual Specialization: Health Policy and International Policy)
GRE(including date taken): 157V (76%) | 153Q (49%) | 4.5W (81%)

Experience/research:
-1 year as a Policy Analyst (Energy and Environment department) for a local government agency (by the time of school)
-6 months as a Policy Intern for local government agency
-1 year as as Peer Advisor for Education Abroad Programs
-Ambassador for UCEAP
-3 months studying abroad, taking courses on international relations
-Ambassador for study abroad university
-Shadowed a physician at a university medical center
-National Model United Nations, delegation awards at their two largest conferences
-3 years of volunteering at a hospice clinic that served disadvantaged patients

Letters of Rec: University Professor (MPH/Dr of Soc & PBPL/alumni of a school I'm applying to); University Professor (Dr/ Director of Education Abroad); Director of my department at the local government agency i work for; possible 4th from colleague who works at the house

Interested in: migrant health; health care systems; international emergency response

Applying: NYU (Global Health); Columbia (Health Policy and Management); Yale (Health Policy); GW (Humanitarian Health); Johns Hopkins (International Health); Harvard (Global Health); Brown (Global Health); Rutgers (Global Public Health); CUNY (Community Health); UNC (Global Health); USC (Global Health)

I'm worried that my undergrad GPA and GRE scores will be my downfall-- I started as a bio major (like the best of us) and switched after my GPA was destroyed by science courses. I also had to withdraw for a few months due to health (physical and mental) reasons, which is when i switched.

Opinions on whether or not I should wait to apply? Do i throw caution to the wind? Any advice?

Last edited:
Hey everyone- quick transcripts question. I reviewed and finalized my transcripts a few weeks ago, but I ended up dropping one of the classes that was on my transcript as "in progress” for this semester. Does anybody know if I can update my application to reflect this? The course isn’t a requirement for the programs I’m applying to, but I don’t want to misrepresent my academic history on my application.

Undergraduate School: large university in Virginia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/minor: Health Sciences with Public Health focus
GRE: V-150 Q-151 AW-(waiting on score)

Experience/research:
- Almost 2 years working as a health educator for a nonprofit serving immigrants/refugees; supervised a health intern
- 2 months studying abroad in South Africa studying HIV/AIDS in youth
- 2 months working in environmental health advocacy
- Semester-long group research project awarded at our department's symposium

Letters of Rec: My professor and supervisor of public health practicum; my supervisor; my agency's director

Interested in: Epidemiology, global health

Applying: GW (Global Epi.), Columbia (epi or population/family health), Drexel (epi), SUNY (epi), George Mason (epi)

I'm really interested in GW and Columbia, but I'm worried I'm in over my head considering my GRE scores and lack of extensive research background. I'm a black woman from an immigrant background. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

What safety schools do you recommend I apply to for an MPH? Also, do you think I have a shot at the schools I am applying to—especially Harvard?

I think you definitely have a shot of getting into Harvard . . . public health school doesn't work exactly like business though, it is highly competitive to get into Harvard Business School, but much less so for the public health degree. Getting a job in public health, there have been recruiters who have said on this message board that they look more at the skills you get during the MPH, and maybe also locality factors (it helps to go to a public health school in the region where you want to work), than where you got the degree. If you get an MPH from Tulane with a lot of BioStats experience/skills, but you focused on policy at Harvard and they want somebody with Biostats skills, they aren't inclined to go with Harvard.

I think Harvard draws people with a policy bent, but yes, employers know that MPH programs are relatively easy to get into, they know you can get into Harvard with a 3.0 for the MPH. I think it helps to think about what your focus is and go to a school that is strong in that focus and has externships and opportunities available, might be Harvard, might be somewhere else. Based on what you are applying for, Harvard looks like a decent option though, so go ahead and apply. But also look at factors like tuition and cost of living and if your employer will pay for the MPH too. Boston schools are much more business like in terms of the degree, versus other schools that attract folks to the community service/global service side of public health.

In terms of service oriented schools, like doing stuff during school, I don't think very many Boston schools are service oriented, more service oriented/community oriented schools are Tulane, UNC, and others, also if you are thinking policy on a global scale, I think it pays to look at schools around the Washington D.C. area.

Last edited:
I completely agree about the factors you think I should consider :) I am very interested in Boston/Atlanta schools for that reason (Boston is probably the public health capital of the country after Atlanta).

Thank you for your encouraging words about Harvard :)

I never thought about there being a public health capital of the country! It all really depends on what you want to do and where you might want to live, obviously all regions of the country have public health systems and a need for public health in some way or another. I wouldn't rely too heavily on rankings for public health school, tbh, as these can get skewed towards metropolitian schools clustered in a region. I'd say the following with regards to public health centers:

1. Emory/Atlanta, good reputation for epidemiology/global health/history as a major public health hub.
2. Tulane, great history in public health, epidemiology, other strengths
3. Washington D.C. GWU/JHU (relatively close by), great for international NGO/policy type of work,
4. UNC one of the best, if not the best public health school
5. University of Washington Seattle, major local regional hub of public health
6. Boston area schools, obviously like Harvard, Tufts (good for nutrition related stuff), BU, U of Mass and probably others, high density of schools, moderately strong regionally, Harvard might stand out.
7. University of Minnesota, obviously a great regional school.
8. Hidden gems like USF, Brown, and many others!
9. CA schools like UCLA, Berkely, So-Cal is the major Biotech hub in the country
10. Columbia for policy, health management

ALSO . . . there are plenty of people who do an online MPH from a non-brand name school and get a great job. Everybody's list of a dream school is different, I would go with in order of preference:

Emory, UNC, JHU, Tulane, USF, Seattle may even pass up ALL of these over a lesser known school if they were doing something I was interested in like studying rheumatic heart disease in indigenous Australians or something like that.

Even so . . . don't go nuts looking at rankings, if you do a good job at Brown/USF in a specialized field you like, you'll probably be better off than going to a high density area like Boston and getting lost in the crowd. The added benefit of going to a "prestigious" school in terms of undergrad admissions might mean much less at the graduate level. Like if you needed a license/certificate to operate construction equipment, you wouldn't necessary say, "I'm going to the Harvard school of technician/driver of construction equipment even though I'll pay 5 times what I'd pay in my state", at some point an MPH is an MPH. I think more important is what hard skills you get out of an MPH, and if you can the find the research/experience you want at a school. Public health schools draw on the strengths of other departments, and much of the education is probably similar among schools.

Last edited:
Accepted to Johns Hopkins 11-month full-time MPH. Med student from a different school, applied for joint MD/MPH. Just posting so people know that there’s been movement!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if UCLA changed their deadline? Did they change it to a rolling deadline?

How long did it take for everyone to have their transcript verified by SOPHAS? My university sent mine in early September and I got the notification from SOPHAS that it was "received" by them on 9/10. Now, I'm ready to submit my first application (to GW) but all of my transcripts are listed as "unverified."

SOPHAS is closed over the weekend so I can't call to ask for help. Can I submit my application without the transcript being officially verified? Is it verified AFTER I send the first one? Help!

@rap15 They don't start the verification process until after you've submitted your application and at least 2 rec letters have been submitted. I also had my transcripts in early and my coursework was verified in less than a day

@rap15 They don't start the verification process until after you've submitted your application and at least 2 rec letters have been submitted. I also had my transcripts in early and my coursework was verified in less than a day

Thank you SO much. Guess I’ll submit my first app today then! :banana:

I know Brown has rolling admission. Has anyone heard back yet or does anyone know how long they usually take to decide after submitting your app?

Undergraduate School: Private engineering school in the south
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.04 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Math (focus in engineering)
GRE(including date taken): 160V/86th, 158Q/67th, 5.5AW/98th (taken fall 2014)

Experience/research:
- 3 years (will be 4 by fall 2020) of work with a US public health regulator working on drug regulation and data analysis
- senior capstone studying environmental impacts of invasive species
- president of music organization in undergrad
- member of multiple honor societies in undergrad
- executive board of several undergrad organizations

Letters of Rec: supervisor from current and previous job, one professor (was also my advisor), and my current office's director

Interested in: drug quality, pregnancy outcomes in women with chronic illnesses, pharmaceutical surveillance

Applying: all MPH epidemiology! GW, UMD, JHU, USF, Emory, CUNY, Drexel (?)

Honestly, I'm pretty terrified of getting in anywhere let alone somewhere I can afford (I'm in-state for Maryland so that's my goal school). Anyone have any words of advice or encouragement? Do I even try? Lol

Got my first acceptance today from GW and I'm thrilled!!

Reactions: 8 users
Got my first acceptance today from GW and I'm thrilled!!
congratulations!!
when did you submit your application btw? trying to figure out how long they take to send out decisions.

My professors won't complete their recommendations no matter how many times I email them-- I know for a fact that they're not going to submit them until the last minute, but they know me best and are great profs and I have no one else to ask. My applications are otherwise complete. Will my chance for acceptance/scholarship be hurt if I don't get them in soon? Seems like a lot of people are hearing back already and I'd hate for all spots to be filled...

My professors won't complete their recommendations no matter how many times I email them-- I know for a fact that they're not going to submit them until the last minute, but they know me best and are great profs and I have no one else to ask. My applications are otherwise complete. Will my chance for acceptance/scholarship be hurt if I don't get them in soon? Seems like a lot of people are hearing back already and I'd hate for all spots to be filled...
Sometimes the deadline for supporting documents, such as the GRE or letters, is later than the deadline for you actually submitting the application. Maybe reach out to your programs and see if this is the case.

Hello Friends! I am a long-time reader here and have benefitted a lot from this forum.

Undergraduate School: International Medical Graduate From Saudi Arabia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.61/4.00
Major/Minor: Medicine, MBBS
GRE(including date taken): N/A (Waived)

Experience/research:
- Co-founded and chaired the social accountability hub for healthcare initiatives at my university for two years.
- Executive Producer for a healthcare initiative that produced 15+ Health Promotion short films in Arabic.
- One year as a physician in training at a major tertiary hospital.
- Participated in multiple humanitarian missions in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Co-founded and managed a digital marketing agency for one year, which specialized in health communication.

Letters of Rec: Associate dean of public health, Director of Health Promotion at my university who happens to be a professor of pulmonology and critical care, and alumnus of JHU who finished a DrPH in healthcare management.

Interested in: Healthcare Leadership and Management, Healthcare Systems, and Global Health.

Applied: JHU (10/3), BU (10/28) All Verified within 24h
Accepted: JHU (11/1)
Waiting: BU (They said they'd review the applications for Fall in January)

I feel privileged and lucky to be accepted at Hopkins as it's my target school. I posted this to say thank you to everyone who posted in this thread and the forum. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

Undergraduate School: Private liberal arts college in Northeast
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93 (3.91 SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Psychology & English double major (B.A.)
GRE(including date taken): V-166 Q-155 AW-4.5 (taken 11/4/19)

Experience/research:
-3 years as a research assistant in a forensic psychology lab (during undergrad); earned authorship on 2 posters (1st author on one)
-2 summers and 1 winter as a research intern in a substance abuse research lab at Yale School of Medicine; earned authorship on 1 manuscript
-1 semester as a research intern in a sexual violence prevention lab (during undergrad)
-1 semester as a TA for a Psychology 101 course
-2 years as a qualitative researcher at a health research consulting firm (by the time I start classes)

Letters of Rec: my supervisor from my current position, one a public health professor from my undergraduate college, one psychology professor (who was also my advisor and research supervisor) from my undergraduate college

Interested in: mental health, substance abuse, health disparities - I am applying to all social/health behavior concentrations

Applying: UNC-Chapel Hill, Yale, Columbia (list may change - any advice?)
Accepted:
Rejected:

My GRE quant score is obviously considerably lower than my verbal score, but I am hoping that since I am applying to social science-focused programs (rather than biostatistics or epi) that it won't be a problem. I am also planning to apply to more programs (possibly Northwestern?) depending on Columbia's decision - I am estimating I will hear back by the end of January.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it!!

Last edited:
Thank you!! Sure - I submitted 10/14 and was verified 10/25!

Oh my gosh, so fast! I applied 11/3 and was verified today. Now I need to just refrain from refreshing my email every 5 minutes!

Oh my gosh, so fast! I applied 11/3 and was verified today. Now I need to just refrain from refreshing my email every 5 minutes!

Yea, with my "lower" GPA and limited work experience, I wanted to make sure I gave myself the best chance possible which seems to have paid off! :) wishing you the best of luck, too! With your stats, I'm sure you aren't far behind me in receiving your acceptance letter, though of course.

I'm going on a tour next Monday to talk with them about coursework timelines since I'll be keeping my full-time job throughout my schooling, so that should be a fun next step! Looking forward to your updates since we're applying to several of the same schools!

Yea, with my "lower" GPA and limited work experience, I wanted to make sure I gave myself the best chance possible which seems to have paid off! :) wishing you the best of luck, too! With your stats, I'm sure you aren't far behind me in receiving your acceptance letter, though of course.

I'm going on a tour next Monday to talk with them about coursework timelines since I'll be keeping my full-time job throughout my schooling, so that should be a fun next step! Looking forward to your updates since we're applying to several of the same schools!

I’d also be keeping my full time job if I go there! I live/work in the DC area right now. Wishing you the best of luck with your other applications!

Hey all! I won't be following the thread this year, but feel free to message me with any specific questions. I am a second-year MPH in Global Epidemiology student at Emory RSPH. Feel free to go back through my posts to learn more about me and my process. A couple years ago, I was just like all of you!

My primary interests are emergency preparedness and logistics, emerging infectious diseases, and maternal and child health epidemiology. I have been able to explore and grow these interests through working at the CDC, student organizations, and coursework at Rollins!