Aug 23, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I would be worried about your GRE scores, not that they're bad but rather that they are "expiring" in the middle of the application season! Have you spoken to your prospective schools about this?
GRE scores from when I took them don't expire until the end of the "school year" which is in July luckily! Their expiration policy has changed now, but I'm still in that batch of lucky people.

Jun 11, 2019
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0
Major/Minor: Global Health
GRE:
143 V, 147 Q, 3.0 AW

Experience/Research/Extracurriculars:
- 1st degree from Western Michigan University where I received a 2.5. I know, it's terrible. But I had no idea what I wanted to do back then and my priorities weren't straight. I graduated from there 7 years ago. I wasn't even familiar with the area of public health back then.
- I've always held an interest in infectious diseases (specifically Ebola) but it was just something I would read on the side and never thought of as a career. I later decided to go back to school to better qualify for an MPH. So my 2nd Bachelors degree is from Arizona State University where I currently hold a 4.0 cumulative GPA!
- I spent a summer in Belize on a medical mission trip. We set up field clinics and treated acute conditions.
- I speak Spanish.
- Worked as a bed side registrar in the Emergency Room/Trauma/Family Labor departments for 2 years.
- Currently work in the OB/GYN area as a coordinator and medical coder for almost 4 years.
- While at WMU, I worked for the founder of an international medical group doing research.
- Studied infectious diseases in England this summer. I've also studied abroad in Italy and am an avid world traveler outside of school programs.

Applying:
Emory (8/19), Columbia (9/6), Johns Hopkins (8/26), George Washington (9/6), Tulane (9/6), Mount Sinai (9/6)

Accepted: TBA

Rejected: George Washington (9/30)

I'm obviously most concerned about my GRE. My practice tests were way higher but I've never done well on timed standardized tests. I'm really counting on my experience and my Global Health GPA.

Has anyone heard back from Emory? That's my top choice and I have yet to receive a confirmation email.

Also, does anyone have any idea what some good safety schools are? I have a feeling my previous GPA and GRE may sink my application. Or maybe know of schools that look less at the numbers and more into the experience?

Reactions: shuney
Aug 20, 2019
Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0
Major/Minor: Global Health
GRE:
143 V, 147 Q, 3.0 AW

- 1st degree from Western Michigan University where I received a 2.5. I know, it's terrible. But I had no idea what I wanted to do back then and my priorities weren't straight. I graduated from there 7 years ago. I wasn't even familiar with the area of public health back then.
- I've always held an interest in infectious diseases (specifically Ebola) but it was just something I would read on the side and never thought of as a career. I later decided to go back to school to better qualify for an MPH. So my 2nd Bachelors degree is from Arizona State University where I currently hold a 4.0 cumulative GPA!
- I spent a summer in Belize on a medical mission trip. We set up field clinics and treated acute conditions.
- I speak Spanish.
- Worked as a bed side registrar in the Emergency Room/Trauma/Family Labor departments for 2 years.
- Currently work in the OB/GYN area as a coordinator and medical coder for almost 4 years.
- While at WMU, I worked for the founder of an international medical group doing research.
- Studied infectious diseases in England this summer. I've also studied abroad in Italy and am an avid world traveler outside of school programs.

Applying:
Emory (8/19), Columbia (9/6), Johns Hopkins (8/26), George Washington (9/6), Tulane (9/6), Mount Sinai (9/6)

Accepted: TBA

Rejected: George Washington (9/30)

I'm obviously most concerned about my GRE. My practice tests were way higher but I've never done well on timed standardized tests. I'm really counting on my experience and my Global Health GPA.

Has anyone heard back from Emory? That's my top choice and I have yet to receive a confirmation email.

Also, does anyone have any idea what some good safety schools are? I have a feeling my previous GPA and GRE may sink my application. Or maybe know of schools that look less at the numbers and more into the experience?

I think you should consider applying to BU and Tufts. I've chatted with admissions counselors from both and they really focus on your Statement of Purpose, passion for PH, and any relevant experience you can bring.

Can I ask how long SOPHAS took to process your application? I think I'm almost ready to submit mine and would love to get an idea of the timeframe!

Reactions: amarcink7

SoccergalGK1

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
FAFSA Opened today! I submitted mine a few minutes ago.

May 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
FAFSA Opened today! I submitted mine a few minutes ago.
I submitted mine today as well! Fingers crossed schools are generous with merit aid because it seems like loans and work-study are the only federal aid options available.

SoccergalGK1

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted mine today as well! Fingers crossed schools are generous with merit aid because it seems like loans and work-study are the only federal aid options available.
My GPA isn't the greatest so I'm hoping I can get a RA position or GA position somewhere on campus. Fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone with merit aid!

Apr 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Undergrad School: Midsize Southern Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.74/3.51
Major/Minor: Major: Biology, Minors: Anthropology & Chemistry
GRE: Taking 10/14 [will edit]

- 2+ years of Public Health research collecting & interpreting data collected from surveys conducted in at-risk of lead poisoning communities around my college
- Currently working on my undergrad thesis on conducting CBPR with community members and leaders to find community-specific solutions to increase awareness about the lead contamination.
- Spent a summer at the National Institutes of Health researching family and physician communication of disease risk (Funding through a competitive international research program with an acceptance rate of ~5%)
- Spent a summer conducting mycological research at R1 university looking at antifungal susceptibility of a species of fungus (Funding through a personal NSF grant)
- 7+ poster & oral presentations at national, state, & local conferences
- Elected onto Honors College Council. President for 2 terms, co-chair for 2 terms.
- 2+ years volunteering for Hospice
- 2 years of peer mentoring

Interested in: community health, sociomedical sciences, diversity in relation to health

Applying: Temple (Social & Behavioral), Penn State (Community & Behavior), Drexel (Comm Health), ETSU (Comm Health), CUNY (Comm Health)
Maybe Applying: UC Irvine (Sociocultural Diversity), UCLA (Comm Health), GWU (Comm Oriented Primary Care), Columbia (Sociomedical), NYU (Comm Health) – just waiting to see if my GRE scores would be worth applying to these places with since it is a super top-heavy list
Accepted:
Rejected:

Mostly worried about my GRE score (practices are looking pretty average) and the fact my background is mostly pre-med. Didn't even think about doing an MPH (despite the fact that everyone in my research lab started pre-med and was converted to MPH) until this summer when I found out that I really enjoyed the community health aspect of research and decided I maybe wasn't quite ready for medical school yet.

Oct 1, 2019
Status
Undergraduate School: top 25 private university on the west coast
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62/3.58
Major/minor: Neuroscience (B.A.) major / Gender Studies minor
GRE(including date taken): V-166 (97th %) Q-164 (84th %) AW-5.0 (92nd %) (taken 9/12/19)

Experience/research:
-3 years as an Emergency Medical Technician with licenses in Massachusetts and California
-3 years in the EMT organization at school, with 1 year as director of training and 1 year as the overall director. Estimated about 150 hours of patient contact and about 2500 hours of work overall.
-attended 2 conferences related to collegiate emergency medicine on behalf of the university
-2 years as a CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor at school where I taught many different student groups, school safety teams, and professor departments
-1 year as research assistant in a neuroscience lab on campus with an independent project
-1 summer as a receptionist at a high-end nail salon
-1 summer as an EMT at an ambulance company
-one graduate course in sexually transmitted diseases and several senior capstone classes where I had to write about public policy relating to sexual health

Letters of Rec: 1 from my advisor and supervisor of my student EMT organization (who I know very very well and collaborated on many projects with), 1 from my lab PI, and 1 from my writing professor (a class where I wrote persuasive research papers about several different sexual health issues)

Interested in: women’s health policy, sexually transmitted diseases, reproductive health/rights, prison healthcare (specifically transgender and pregnancy-related)

Applying: GW (Maternal and Child Health), JHU (MSPH in Population, Family, and Reproductive Health), BU (Maternal and Child Health), and Columbia (Population and Family Health)

I'm pretty nervous that I don't have enough public health experience since most of mine is in emergency medicine. I write in my personal statement about initially wanting to be an OB/GYN, but after caring for patients firsthand I realized I could better help change the sexual health stigmas and systems from the top-down. I'm also worried that I am not applying to enough programs, but so few have the specific sexual health tracts that I am looking for.

I'm in the process of moving to DC from Mass right now, and JHU is by far my first choice! Their program most closely fits with my sexual health interests and it would require minimal relocation efforts.

Any comments on these schools or anything else would be amazing!

Jun 11, 2019
Status
I think you should consider applying to BU and Tufts. I've chatted with admissions counselors from both and they really focus on your Statement of Purpose, passion for PH, and any relevant experience you can bring.

Can I ask how long SOPHAS took to process your application? I think I'm almost ready to submit mine and would love to get an idea of the timeframe!
I submitted my SOPHAS app on 8/19 with all my recommendations and was completed on 8/26. My transcripts weren't entered completely so I had a bit of a delay with that. Everything was done (transcripts, course verification) and verified on 9/6.

Reactions: EmsMom
OP
rap15

rap15

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
I submitted my SOPHAS app on 8/19 with all my recommendations and was completed on 8/26. My transcripts weren't entered completely so I had a bit of a delay with that. Everything was done (transcripts, course verification) and verified on 9/6.
Oh wow, you are so far ahead of the game!! I’m aiming to get everything in by November and I thought that was pretty good, haha

Reactions: SunshineWings
Jun 1, 2019
Undergrad GPA: 3.39 (WES confirmed) Business Administration at a German university (equivalent to a regionally accredited US institution)
Grad GPA: 3.96 (WES confirmed) ranked 1st of class (dean´s list), International Management at top business school in France (equivalent to a regionally accredited US institution)
GRE: Q:160 V:160 AW:4.0
TOEFL: 114(iBT)

Experience/Research:
-research assistant for 6 month in an international research project conducted by several Universities in France and UK
-Named best student of my class for my Master`s degree, and gave graduation speech. Received 2nd best thesis of graduating class
-working student for 1 year 20h/week during bachelor`s studies
-6 month graduate internship at major Pharma company (Roche) in the orphan disease department
-2 years work experience in the graduate development program of Novartis with increasing responsibilities across different functions including health policy, patient advocacy, healthcare marketing and health economics and outcomes research
-german citizen: lived, worked and studied in 3 different european countries (GER,FR,CH)
-fluent in german, english and french
-1.5 years military service
-volunteered 6 month in a neighbourly help program
-will get 3 strong letters of recommendation (1 professional, 2 academic)

Applying: Columbia (HPM), Berkeley (Interdisciplinary), Yale (health Policy), Harvard (Health Policy)

I would be very interested in pursuing an MPH with a focus on health policy to advance my career as well as to get a better understanding of public health in general and health policy in particular. As I have no experience with US admissions I would be very happy if you guys could give me a broad idea of my chances for admission to the above mentioned MPH programs.

Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!

Reactions: exopro
Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! I'm excited to have a community of other students to share my excitement/terror with!

Undergraduate School: Large public university (pac-12)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75/3.6 (ish)- will go up by the time I graduate (hopefully lol)
Major/minor: Physiology/philosophy
GRE(including date taken): have taken once- 158V (80th), 153Q (49th), 4.0W (59th), will retake 10/25

Experience/research:

-3 years as an undergraduate research assistant in vascular physiology lab (1 3rd author review publication, a few more manuscripts on the study I'm working on will be published in ~1 year from now, 1st author published honors thesis, 500+ clinical hours)
-2 original poster presentations and published abstracts at national conferences. Won a couple of undergraduate awards at one conference
-American Physiological Society Diversity summer fellow 2018
-University STEM scholarship recipient
-1 year shadowing pediatric oncologist (maybe ~50 hrs.)
-President of transfer student honor society (2 yrs). Organized transfer student welcome events, transfer student panels at local community colleges, non-trad student happy hours :)
-Volunteered with a local organization teaching nutrition science to fourth graders in low-income school districts (2 yrs while in community college)
-TAing and tutoring through the physiology department (2 yrs).

I'm a first generation student, and a community college transfer student. I also went to culinary school before any formal higher education which ties into my interest for public health and has influenced me greatly. Unfortunately, my GPA reset when I started at university and I got mostly B+'s in the weed-out science classes, so that brought it down.

Letters of Rec: 1 from research PI, 1 from immunology professor that I now TA for, 1 from a close philosophy professor

Interested in: Global health, infectious disease epidemiology (primarily that of HIV/AIDs and other viruses)

Applying: JHU (MSPH, Global disease epi), Harvard (S.M. Epidemiology of Infectious Disease), Tulane University (MPH in Tropical Medicine), Stanford (M.S. Clinical Epidemiology, ID conc.), Northwestern University (MPH, global health conc.), Boston University (MPH, ID conc.) UCLA (MPH epi), Columbia (MPH, infectious disease epi).
Waitlisted: TBD
Rejected: TBD

May 20, 2019
Status
@mak_ham Have you heard good things about the Stanford M.S. Clinical Epidemiology program? I didn't know they offered that degree and it seems intriguing, although it would definitely be a crazy reach for me to apply

Oct 4, 2019
After stalking the old pages for months I thought it was time to write my own. Please tell me if you think I need to apply to more back up schools, as I am not sure if I am over reaching! If so, please drop some recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Undergrad School: SEC School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.83 (SOPHAS GPA is 3.75, major GPA: 3.9)
Major/Minor: BA in Public Health, minor in Women and Gender Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 07/22/19: V153 Q152 AWA5 (it is what it is...)
Experience/Research:
2 years Heath extension peace corps volunteer in West Africa
-Worked at the community clinic for over 900 hours by COS. Main duties include community and school health education, maintaining clubs in the
town, attending home visits, and helping input clinic data into online tracker system.
-Worked with community members (who attended nutrition training) to design and implement a multi targeted nutrition campaign
-Managed the addition of a Computer lab- teach 8 hours of ICT a week
-Camp director for Regional Leadership Camp involving 80 school aged children and 40 adults from 5 regions
-Community latrine project- adding 80 latrines to community
-Member of Volunteer Advisory Council, Gender and Youth Development Committee
Undergraduate researcher on HPV and HIV (Magellan Scholar- Research Grant)
-(Carried out a year long study examining HPV and HIV knowledge and awareness variables. • Completed literature reviews, survey
development, performed data collection, and quantitative analysis of results.)
-Led to publication in a journal
Intern- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
-Interned while studying abroad for a semester in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Taught English lessons three times a week for 12 weeks

Special factors: First generation student, Coverdell eligible through Peace Corps, pretty strong personal statement talking about passion for global and public health

Recommendations: 1 from Peace Corps Director, 1 from research advisor/ mentor, 1 from undergraduate advisor (2 are very strong, the undergraduate advisor is not as strong because I did not take any classes with them)

Interested in: Global health, women's health, sexual and reproductive health

Applied: UPenn (Maternal and Child Health), GW (Global Health Program Design Monitoring and Evaluation), BU (Global Health Program Design Monitoring and Evaluation), Tulane (Maternal and Child Health), Brown (Global Public Health), Harvard (Health and Social Behavior), Emory (Global Health- sexual and reproductive health and population studies), UNC (Global Health)(All verified on 9/25)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: exopro
OP
rap15

rap15

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
Is anyone else planning on attending the Hopkins open house on Monday? If so, what attire is appropriate? Business casual?

Sep 16, 2019
Status
Is anyone applying to CUNY?? The website and SOPHAS say they want 2 recommendation letters but SOPHAS has a minimum of 3 letters??????

Nov 29, 2017
Status
Undergraduate School: Private liberal arts college in Singapore. Class of 2020
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65/4.0 (WES verified 9/13/19)/ 3.85/4.0 (Major GPA)
Major/minor: Bachelor of Science in Life Sciences (Honors)
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): V-166 (97th %) Q-168 (93rd %) AW-6.0 (99th%) (taken only once on 07/25/19)

Experience/research:
- 3 month internship at a large pharmaceutical MNC in their health economics and market access team. Worked on a lot of strategy generation and literature reviews for atrial fibrillation, high-energy devices, etc.
- 2 month internship at a separate large pharmaceutical MNC in their patient access team. Similar to the first experience but primarily worked on plaque psoriasis with the added benefit of writing up some sections on an upcoming prospective study.
- 2 research postings in computational biology and molecular biology labs with 2 co-authored papers; currently working on my final-year thesis
- 2 month internship in the R&D sector of a pharmaceutical startup. Worked on interventions for Zika and Yellow Fever with one of the interventions currently in phase I clinical trials.
- Some clinical and hospital volunteering experience. Didn't clock in many hours since it's rather hard to get shadowing opportunities here.
- Unrelated things: been playing the violin for around 15 years now, trained in kickboxing and what not for 8 years, and some other things. Doubt that they'll be weighted heavily since this isn't undergraduate admissions.

Letters of Rec: 2 letters written by professors I directly worked under and got co-authored papers for; have taken their classes too and am personally very close to them outside of classwork/research work. 1 letter written by supervisor from the 3-month stint at the pharma MNC.

Interested in: MPH in Health Policy, MSPH. Unsure if I want to enter the work-force directly after the master's program or to continue my studies at the PhD level. I'm applying straight out of undergrad since I have a pretty clear goal of being involved in health economics and outcomes research (at least in this moment) and figured it'd save time especially if I want to pursue a PhD

Applying: JHU (MSPH in Global Health Econs and MSPH in Health Policy), Yale & Columbia (MPH in Health Policy), Harvard (SM-80 in Global Health), WUSTL (MPH in Health Policy Analysis), and UPenn (MPH Generalist Track).

Notes: Super excited for this coming season! My main worry is that I don't have too much "on the ground" public health work in the typical places you see applicants working in like under-developed countries, poverty-stricken areas, etc. Should also note I'm not a US citizen so not sure how much that would go into play. Any feedback or comments on the strengths or weaknesses of my application would be greatly appreciated! :)

Sep 1, 2019
Undergrad School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Major/Minor: BA in Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken): V156 Q146 AW:4.0 (10/05/19)
Experience/Research:
- Over 3 years of experience as a research assistant in various departments including women's health, psychology, and biology
- Currently working at an admin/research role at the National Academy of Medicine - forming great networks
- Experience working in communities abroad in Peru and Ethiopia
- Co-authored a Medicaid 101 issue brief as a health policy intern
- Over 2 years of mentoring freshman and sophomores
- Formed and led a student organization as a community for students
- Volunteers for over 100 hours at the Psychiatry department of a hospital
- Prior experience in foundational public health courses with exceptional grades in all

Recommendations: 2 letters from high-level leaders at the National Academy of Medicine, 1 letter from an academic advisor who knows my story really well, 2 letters from professors from the Public Health Department - one of which is from the dean of the school's Global Health program.

Interested in: Global health, health policy, and program implementation

Applying: GW (Global Health Policy), Tulane (International Health and Development), Brown (General MPH), Emory (Global Health- Community Health Development), UNC (Global Health), Hopkins (International Health), U of Washington (Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I feel that I have a strong personal statement and experience, but my GRE scores are horrendous. I studied for 3 months especially for the math section, but the real test was much harder than all the practice ones. I'm not retaking cuz I don't have the time to restudy or the money to pay for it again.

Any ideas on safety schools I should apply to? I can't tell if my list is too top-heavy. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Jul 27, 2019
Status
Hey y'all :)

Undergrad School: Large State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.76/4.0 (SOPHAS verified 3.71)
Major/Minor: Public Health (B.S.)
GRE: 159 V (83rd), 157 Q (64th), 5.0 AW (92nd) (Taken 8/16/2019)

- 1 year working as a research assistant within my school for an NIH funded project (trauma-sensitive yoga for boys in the juvenile justice system)
- Summer internship with an aerospace manufacturing company (worked in their environment, health, and safety department and shadowed an industrial hygienist)
- 2 accepted presentations for study mentioned above (APHA meeting and ISTSS meeting)
- Accepted to present at a conference about PrEP use and its stigma
- 2nd author of a published article about transgender patient/provider communication (worked on with a professor of mine)
- Treasurer and VP for greek organization and member of public health club
- Honors student

LOR: Supervisor from my internship, PI from my research team, and professor whom I worked on the transgender patient/provider paper with.

Interests: communicable diseases, NTDs, sex trafficking, PTSD studies

Applying to.... Emory (Epidemiology) , GA State Univ (Epidemiology)

Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
@mak_ham Have you heard good things about the Stanford M.S. Clinical Epidemiology program? I didn't know they offered that degree and it seems intriguing, although it would definitely be a crazy reach for me to apply
I haven’t heard anything specific about the program really! My main reason for applying is to work with a specific professor . If you’re interested, you should apply!

May 20, 2019
Status
Is anybody still working on personal statements and want to give each other comments?

Jun 11, 2019
Status
Is anybody going to Emory's Destination Public Health event? I applied for the travel grant and got some funding. I saw when I applied that preference is given to 2020 accepted students but I heard they don't actually send out acceptances until closer to December. Does this mean I could already be accepted? I'm going crazy over here because Emory is my top school!

Aug 4, 2019
Status
Is anybody going to Emory's Destination Public Health event? I applied for the travel grant and got some funding. I saw when I applied that preference is given to 2020 accepted students but I heard they don't actually send out acceptances until closer to December. Does this mean I could already be accepted? I'm going crazy over here because Emory is my top school!
I’m going! I got a travel grant too but I haven’t sent in my application yet, so I’m not sure.

SoccergalGK1

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know how long it takes for rolling admissions? My top pick is the University of Louisville and they have rolling. Should I expect a decision within 2-3 weeks of SOPHAS verification?

Sep 11, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm an international applicant (medical doctor in UK) applying for MPH-45 Harvard (SBS). Would anyone here recommend that I retake the GRE? My scores are Q 157 (64%), V 164 (94%), W 5.5 (98%).

Currently, the Harvard website recommends above 60th per centile in quant, but I understand it was previously 65, hence the worry.

My application is otherwise quite strong. My GPA should be 3.5 or above from a top 3 university in UK (with 2 prizes). I have worked for our healthcare system for 3 years and am training in anaesthesiology. I also have 4 peer-reviewed publications, 10 international poster presentations. I also speak 3 languages and have my own non-profit organisation.