GRE scores from when I took them don't expire until the end of the "school year" which is in July luckily! Their expiration policy has changed now, but I'm still in that batch of lucky people.I would be worried about your GRE scores, not that they're bad but rather that they are "expiring" in the middle of the application season! Have you spoken to your prospective schools about this?
Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0
Major/Minor: Global Health
GRE: 143 V, 147 Q, 3.0 AW
- 1st degree from Western Michigan University where I received a 2.5. I know, it's terrible. But I had no idea what I wanted to do back then and my priorities weren't straight. I graduated from there 7 years ago. I wasn't even familiar with the area of public health back then.
- I've always held an interest in infectious diseases (specifically Ebola) but it was just something I would read on the side and never thought of as a career. I later decided to go back to school to better qualify for an MPH. So my 2nd Bachelors degree is from Arizona State University where I currently hold a 4.0 cumulative GPA!
- I spent a summer in Belize on a medical mission trip. We set up field clinics and treated acute conditions.
- I speak Spanish.
- Worked as a bed side registrar in the Emergency Room/Trauma/Family Labor departments for 2 years.
- Currently work in the OB/GYN area as a coordinator and medical coder for almost 4 years.
- While at WMU, I worked for the founder of an international medical group doing research.
- Studied infectious diseases in England this summer. I've also studied abroad in Italy and am an avid world traveler outside of school programs.
Emory (8/19), Columbia (9/6), Johns Hopkins (8/26), George Washington (9/6), Tulane (9/6), Mount Sinai (9/6)
Rejected: George Washington (9/30)
I'm obviously most concerned about my GRE. My practice tests were way higher but I've never done well on timed standardized tests. I'm really counting on my experience and my Global Health GPA.
Has anyone heard back from Emory? That's my top choice and I have yet to receive a confirmation email.
Also, does anyone have any idea what some good safety schools are? I have a feeling my previous GPA and GRE may sink my application. Or maybe know of schools that look less at the numbers and more into the experience?
My GPA isn't the greatest so I'm hoping I can get a RA position or GA position somewhere on campus. Fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone with merit aid!I submitted mine today as well! Fingers crossed schools are generous with merit aid because it seems like loans and work-study are the only federal aid options available.
I submitted my SOPHAS app on 8/19 with all my recommendations and was completed on 8/26. My transcripts weren't entered completely so I had a bit of a delay with that. Everything was done (transcripts, course verification) and verified on 9/6.I think you should consider applying to BU and Tufts. I've chatted with admissions counselors from both and they really focus on your Statement of Purpose, passion for PH, and any relevant experience you can bring.
Can I ask how long SOPHAS took to process your application? I think I'm almost ready to submit mine and would love to get an idea of the timeframe!
Oh wow, you are so far ahead of the game!! I’m aiming to get everything in by November and I thought that was pretty good, hahaI submitted my SOPHAS app on 8/19 with all my recommendations and was completed on 8/26. My transcripts weren't entered completely so I had a bit of a delay with that. Everything was done (transcripts, course verification) and verified on 9/6.
I haven’t heard anything specific about the program really! My main reason for applying is to work with a specific professor . If you’re interested, you should apply!
I’m going! I got a travel grant too but I haven’t sent in my application yet, so I’m not sure.Is anybody going to Emory's Destination Public Health event? I applied for the travel grant and got some funding. I saw when I applied that preference is given to 2020 accepted students but I heard they don't actually send out acceptances until closer to December. Does this mean I could already be accepted? I'm going crazy over here because Emory is my top school!