MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, Do you mind me asking what concentration you applied for at Northwestern? I applied a few weeks ago and I still have not heard back yet. Thanks!
Generalist

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Do you mind me asking what concentration you applied for at Northwestern? I applied a few weeks ago and I still have not heard back yet. Thanks!
It's hard to find any info about Northwestern MPH, but I think I would choose Northwestern over Emory simply because of the quality of the medical school itself, which the MPH program is connected to. The downside is that it is expensive; it's about a 30k difference between NU & Emory. That would be a tough decision!

It's hard to find any info about Northwestern MPH, but I think I would choose Northwestern over Emory simply because of the quality of the medical school itself, which the MPH program is connected to. The downside is that it is expensive; it's about a 30k difference between NU & Emory. That would be a tough decision!
Yes its for sure expensive, but will be worth it in the end! I just found out I got accepted into Northwestern's program today and I couldn't be more thrilled!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone - Would anyone happen to know if Columbia announced if Fall 2020 classes would be in person? Thanks so much. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Hi everyone - Would anyone happen to know if Columbia announced if Fall 2020 classes would be in person? Thanks so much. Hope everyone is staying safe.

They've sent us an email saying the core for first sem (basically all the classes unless you're in the professional program) is online.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard if Johns Hopkins is planning to reduce tuition at all since they announced the first two terms are expected to be online?

Has anyone heard if Johns Hopkins is planning to reduce tuition at all since they announced the first two terms are expected to be online?
They're not planning on reducing tuition, and the first two terms are going to be a hybrid (not entirely online). Of course, this is contingent on how the situation evolves, but that is their current plan. They have released a roadmap to reopening using a phased approach similar to the one Maryland is using.

At least within the department of Epidemiology, the plan is to hold as many on-campus activities as possible, which would mean having lab sessions, small group classes and seminars on campus if things continue improving and if Maryland and the city of Baltimore enter phase 2. (Maryland is currently in phase 2, Baltimore in phase 1).

Large lectures would be held online, but my impression is that the epi department and the school at large are trying to hold as many activities and engage students that are able to make it to Baltimore as much as possible. Everything will be available online in case you can't make it, or you don't want to for health-related reasons, for example.

Thank you so much for the info on tuition. I think given the email they sent out last week it seems like they’re leaning heavily into the online aspect of things with the caveat of including in person activities depending on the situation in the fall. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth being around on campus for the first two terms, but hopefully we get more answers in the upcoming town hall for new students.

They're not planning on reducing tuition, and the first two terms are going to be a hybrid (not entirely online). Of course, this is contingent on how the situation evolves, but that is their current plan. They have released a roadmap to reopening using a phased approach similar to the one Maryland is using.

At least within the department of Epidemiology, the plan is to hold as many on-campus activities as possible, which would mean having lab sessions, small group classes and seminars on campus if things continue improving and if Maryland and the city of Baltimore enter phase 2. (Maryland is currently in phase 2, Baltimore in phase 1).

Large lectures would be held online, but my impression is that the epi department and the school at large are trying to hold as many activities and engage students that are able to make it to Baltimore as much as possible. Everything will be available online in case you can't make it, or you don't want to for health-related reasons, for example.

I am planning on applying next cycle (so the program would start in 2021). Some of the schools seem to list that their admissions is on a rolling basis while others list a hard deadline. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations if applying earlier gives a higher chance of getting accepted. I may be able to bring my GPA up slightly this Fall which is why I was thinking about waiting but I am not sure which is better-apply early with a slightly lower GPA vs apply later with a slightly higher GPA. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I am planning on applying next cycle (so the program would start in 2021). Some of the schools seem to list that their admissions is on a rolling basis while others list a hard deadline. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations if applying earlier gives a higher chance of getting accepted. I may be able to bring my GPA up slightly this Fall which is why I was thinking about waiting but I am not sure which is better-apply early with a slightly lower GPA vs apply later with a slightly higher GPA. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
A lot of schools have an early deadline which gives you full scholarship consideration, and applying after that scholarships are kind of “first come, first serve”. I would definitely make sure you’re aware of which schools have hard deadlines as far as scholarship consideration goes and take that into account when deciding on how and when you want to apply.

You can also apply early and send updated transcripts to SOPHAS/the schools if your GPA does improve! I think the majority of us in this cycle didn’t start hearing from schools until after the new year, so the fall semester had ended and final grades were available.

As long as your letters of rec and personal statement are strong, the addition of an increased GPA as an add on to your application will only make your application stronger!

Reactions: 2 users

can you explain this decision further? i don't personally see much of a difference in the "quality" of medical schools between NW and Emory and I feel as though Emory has many opportunities in public health that more than make up for that "difference"

can you explain this decision further? i don't personally see much of a difference in the "quality" of medical schools between NW and Emory and I feel as though Emory has many opportunities in public health that more than make up for that "difference"

Yeah, I kind of wondered the same, though Northwestern is definitely a big deal in that part of the country, if you want to stay local after the MPH, then doing it in the region probably helps. Northwestern is ranked above Emory in medical school research, they were sort of a pioneer in medical research and a lot of prestigious researchers circulate through Northwestern. If you've ever met a Northwestern alumni or just anybody who would love to go the school there is a sort of fanaticism, or at least deep admiration, associated with the school.

People choose to go for the MPH all over the country, knowing what is going on in a local region helps a lot from what I can tell, so people generally go to school where they want to live, at least initially after school. But wow, that's a sort of big difference in tuition! Maybe with everything going on right now Northwestern is seen as being safer or something, beats me. Northwestern does have a super nice campus though and all the amenities and connections in Chicago.

I plan on doing research with the school of medicine as I am quite interested in quality improvement, similar to the projects I conducted for the medical school connected to my undergrad institute. I might be a bit biased because I have previous experience with Northwestern, but NU's reputation is extremely high in Chicago.

However, I think Emory is still extremely high quality and the fact it's not directly connected to the hospital is not the end of the world, I can still network :). Emory is more unknown to me, I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.35/ 3.17 SOPHAS Verified (6/15):(:(
I had to repeat three classes my freshman year because I struggled heavily with my mental health. I am a student athlete and I am applying straight out of undergrad. Thought it was the perfect opportunity for me to apply since the GRE was being waived. I made sure to note in my SOPHAS application that I struggled heavily with my mental health freshman and sophomore year and explained briefly in SOP.
I have a steady upward trend on my transcript, finished my senior year with a 3.9 semester gpa
3-letters of recommendation from Professors
1- From former mentor
Due to me being a former student-athlete and applying straight-out of undergrad my experience is very limited. However,my experience that I do have includes:
- Volunteered at two nursing homes.
- Volunteered minority health education event.
- Internship as Provider Relations Intern for Management Services Organization
Accumulated HIPPA certification and Medicare Parts C and D Certification from Provider Relations Internship
- Recently started interning at OB/GYN clinic as a medical assistant

Applied: USC (MHA) 6/10- Georgia State (MPH) Health Policy & Management 6/11- Emory (MPH) Health Management 6/11- University of Georgia (MPH) Health Policy & Management 6/11- Charles R. Drew University (MPH) Urban Disparities 6/11
Accepted: Charles R Drew University (MPH) Urban Disparities 6/17, Georgia State, Emory, University of Georgia
Attending: Emory

I know I am late to applying, I just really hope I can get in somewhere. I am very passionate about Health Disparities.

Also since I am so late in applying will I hear back from schools faster than the average time?
Please pray for me! I really want to get my Master's in Public health/ or Health Admin

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
GPA: 3.35/ 3.17 SOPHAS Verified (6/15):(:(
I had to repeat three classes my freshman year because I struggled heavily with my mental health. I am a student athlete and I am applying straight out of undergrad. Thought it was the perfect opportunity for me to apply since the GRE was being waived. I made sure to note in my SOPHAS application that I struggled heavily with my mental health freshman and sophomore year and explained briefly in SOP.
I have a steady upward trend on my transcript, finished my senior year with a 3.9 semester gpa
3-letters of recommendation from Professors
1- From former mentor
Due to me being a former student-athlete and applying straight-out of undergrad my experience is very limited. However,my experience that I do have includes:
- Volunteered at two nursing homes.
- Volunteered minority health education event.
- Internship as Provider Relations Intern for Management Services Organization
Accumulated HIPPA certification and Medicare Parts C and D Certification from Provider Relations Internship
- Recently started interning at OB/GYN clinic as a medical assistant

Applied: USC (MHA) 6/10- Georgia State (MPH) Health Policy & Management 6/11- Emory (MPH) Health Management 6/11-Loma Linda (MHA) 6/15- University of Georgia (MPH) Health Policy & Management 6/11- Charles R. Drew University (MPH) Urban Disparities 6/11
Accepted:
Attending:

I know I am late to applying, I just really hope I can get in somewhere. I am very passionate about Health Disparities.

Also since I am so late in applying will I hear back from schools faster than the average time?
Please pray for me! I really want to get my Master's in Public health/ or Health Admin

I applied fairly late as well , mid-May to early June. Have only heard back from one school (rejection from Dartmouth) so it has been a pretty nerve racking few weeks. Hopefully they get back to both of us soon!

I applied fairly late as well , mid-May to early June. Have only heard back from one school (rejection from Dartmouth) so it has been a pretty nerve racking few weeks. Hopefully they get back to both of us soon!

I applied in late May-early June and already received many responses back. I submitted most of my apps the last week of May, got verified first week of June and have heard back within 2 weeks - much faster than what the school websites post. I hope you get in soon!

I applied in late May-early June and already received many responses back. I submitted most of my apps the last week of May, got verified first week of June and have heard back within 2 weeks - much faster than what the school websites post. I hope you get in soon!
May I ask what school you applied to, where you received such a quick response?

May I ask what school you applied to, where you received such a quick response?
Sure, here's a list of the schools I've heard back from (verified 06/09):
GWU: in review 06/10, accepted 06/12
Rutgers: in review 06/03, accepted 06/06
Brown: in review 06/02, accepted 06/17
Mt. Sinai: in review 05/28, accepted 06/02
Drexel: in review 06/10, accepted 06/16
JHU: in review 06/04, accepted 06/13

I asked every school admissions to see how long it typically takes to receive a decision. Most responded with pretty accurate timelines. Generally, I heard back at the earlier side of the ranges they gave me. So it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them.

I asked every school admissions to see how long it typically takes to receive a decision. Most responded with pretty accurate timelines. Generally, I heard back at the earlier side of the ranges they gave me. So it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them.

My application was in review at GWU on the 11th but I still haven’t heard anything. It’s my top pick, too. :(

I have a question.. I've been accepted to BU's MPH program (I love the program) I'm just worried I won't get a good job after I graduate. Any advice?

I am currently a student at University of Delhi, India graduating from Bachelors of Healthcare Management. I have 3 internship experience, in the same field and am looking to apply for Fall 2021. However my course is a 3 year bachelors degree, and most of the the US colleges have a 4 year course required. What can i do to still be able to apply, and have my chance in these colleges?

I am currently a student at University of Delhi, India graduating from Bachelors of Healthcare Management. I have 3 internship experience, in the same field and am looking to apply for Fall 2021. However my course is a 3 year bachelors degree, and most of the the US colleges have a 4 year course required. What can i do to still be able to apply, and have my chance in these colleges?

Typically the requirement is to have the bachelors degree, and it is not based on the number of years you spent getting it. For example, I know two people who graduated with their bachelors in only 3 years and then went on to law school with no issues. I would reach out to specific schools if you want more info!

Did anyone do the video interview for Washington University in St. Louis? I currently have one scheduled and wasn't quite sure how to prepare or how in-depth the questions would be. If anyone has time to share their experiences please DM me. Thanks!

Typically the requirement is to have the bachelors degree, and it is not based on the number of years you spent getting it. For example, I know two people who graduated with their bachelors in only 3 years and then went on to law school with no issues. I would reach out to specific schools if you want more info!
Most of the colleges have mentioned on websites 4 years bachelor's degree, so would that mean i cannot apply in those colleges?

Hi ! So this late but this serves as hope for anyone who still wants to apply to MPH programs because you have a chance.

Undergraduate School: UMD
Undergrad GPA/SOPHAS GPA: 2.906/2.75 (Strong upward trend and made deans list twice)
Major/minor: Public Health (B.S) 2020
GRE: Took it but didn't submit it to any school because they all waived the GRE

Experience:

- 2015 Intern at a health and wellness company increasing access to healthcare
-2017-2018 Camp counselor at sleep away camp
-2018 international experience interning at tobacco company for the winter
-2019 summer spent taking summer classes
-2019 worked part time in school

Letters of Rec: 3 strong recommendations (2 from professors and 1 from manager at work)

Applied: GWU (MHA-5/11), BU (Healthcare Management 5/18), Rutgers (Health Systems & Policy 5/1), Tulane (MHA 5/16), Drexel (Health Management & Policy 5/15), TAMU (MHA 5/15), Emory (HPM 6/2).

Accepted: GWU (5/21), BU + 25% (5/29), Rutgers + accepted me to population health certificate not Health Systems & Policy even though that's what I applied to (5/29), Tulane (6/5), Emory (6/9).

Interview: Tulane (5/26)

Rejected: None

*One thing I can say is my personal statement, LORs and strong upward trend helped me a lot*
Question: When did you get a email notification that your application was sent to your first choice department for Emory? I got verified 6/15, I then received a notification that it was under review by my first department choice on 6/19 and now I am currently waiting?

Hi, just thought I would call out that with so many programs being essentially online programs and the ongoing public health crisis, schools are facing unprecedented deferral requests which are likely to disadvantage the next batch of applicants. So I’d imagine that for any rolling launch schools the advantage is to have your application sent in as soon as possible. GPA is pretty important/ advantageous for scholarships, but I’d guess that assuming you’d update your transcripts in December you should still qualify you for any cutoffs. The admissions staff can also give you a good idea on what programs will be most stressed for time of application and obviously a lot can change between now and the fall, but hopefully good thought starters!

Most of the colleges have mentioned on websites 4 years bachelor's degree, so would that mean i cannot apply in those colleges?

You should reach out to the specific schools to ask. I’m sure many understand that international bachelor’s degrees may work differently.

Question: When did you get a email notification that your application was sent to your first choice department for Emory? I got verified 6/15, I then received a notification that it was under review by my first department choice on 6/19 and now I am currently waiting?
It said it was sent to my first choice department on June 5

I applied to Tufts and BU for epidemiology/biostats and got in to both. Tufts gave me the notification in June, BU just let me know July 1st and gave me until tomorrow to reply. I received a scholarship to each, making the prices almost identical. I'm torn. BU was originally my top pick, but the people in admissions have been absolutely awful to communicate with and I have heard more negatives about BU than Tufts. Any opinions/advice?

I applied to Tufts and BU for epidemiology/biostats and got in to both. Tufts gave me the notification in June, BU just let me know July 1st and gave me until tomorrow to reply. I received a scholarship to each, making the prices almost identical. I'm torn. BU was originally my top pick, but the people in admissions have been absolutely awful to communicate with and I have heard more negatives about BU than Tufts. Any opinions/advice?
It's a bit alarming that BU gave you such a short time to decide. I'd personally choose Tufts based on reviews from students from both MPH programs and their affiliated medical schools. I heard that BU isn't the best as far as student accessibility and there's supposedly much red tape in administration. I haven't heard much about Tufts though aside from the fact that it's a solid, "boutique" program. Just curious why BU is your first pick? If you think BU is better for you based on what you want out of it, then by all means, go for it. And if you're truly on the fence, maybe a list of pros and cons would help you. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I am deciding between 2 MPH programs, Mt. Sinai and CUNY. I would want to do epi at both. I applied for student aid and work study but still waiting to hear back. Is Mt. Sinai really worth the price? I would get in- state tuition at CUNY which would make it about 40k cheaper than Mt. Sinai

Undergraduate School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.49/ 3.65
Major/minor: BA. International Studies, B.A Latin American Studies
GRE 157V 153Q
Work Experience
1.5 years as maternal and child health program manager at mid-sized NGO in rural Guatemala
1 year as development manager at NGO focused on maternal and child health/sexual and reproductive health in rural Uganda

Interested in: global health/maternal and child health
Applied: Harvard University, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Boston University
Accepted: UNC (12/13), Johns Hopkins University (01/07)
Rejected:

Hello! I have similar stats to you and it would be incredibly appreciative if you can share your tips on applying to these programs. I am applying in the next few months. Do you think you could message me privately or through here? Thank you so much!

After stalking the old pages for months I thought it was time to write my own.

Undergrad School: SEC School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.83 (SOPHAS GPA is 3.75, major GPA: 3.9)
Major/Minor: BA in Public Health, minor in Women and Gender Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 07/22/19: V153 Q152 AWA5
Experience/Research:
-2 years Heath extension peace corps volunteer in West Africa
-Worked at the community clinic for over 900 hours by COS
-Undergraduate research grant to study HPV and HIV. Led to publication in a journal
- Intern- Teaching English as a Foreign Language while studying abroad for a semester in Chiang Mai, Thailand
Special factors: First generation student, Coverdell eligible through Peace Corps

Recommendations: 1 from Peace Corps Director, 1 from research advisor/ mentor, 1 from undergraduate advisor

Interested in: Global health, women's health, sexual and reproductive health

Applied: UPenn (Global Health), GW (Global Health Program Design Monitoring and Evaluation), BU (Global Health Program Design Monitoring and Evaluation), Tulane (international health ), Brown (Global Public Health), Harvard (Health and Social Behavior), Emory (Global Health- sexual and reproductive health and population studies), UNC (Global Health)(All verified on 9/25)
Accepted: Tulane (10/28), GW +$ (11/20), UPenn -Coverdell (12/4), UNC (12/10), Emory -Coverdell (1/5), BU + 35% tuition (1/22), Brown (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Hello, I have similar stats as you and would appreciate some advice/tips on how to apply to these programs. I am applying in the next few months and really would appreciate it! Do you think you could message me with what you think? Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone, I am deciding between 2 MPH programs, Mt. Sinai and CUNY. I would want to do epi at both. I applied for student aid and work study but still waiting to hear back. Is Mt. Sinai really worth the price? I would get in- state tuition at CUNY which would make it about 40k cheaper than Mt. Sinai

I'm literally making the same decision right now. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm literally making the same decision right now. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
So it seems like Mt. Sinai has a lot more epi research and is connected with a hospital. CUNY is rated higher according to US news but I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any advice?

So it seems like Mt. Sinai has a lot more epi research and is connected with a hospital. CUNY is rated higher according to US news but I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any advice?

Sinai definitely benefits from being connected to one of the best hospital systems in the area—my stepsister is a resident there and I'm unlikely to hear the end of it if I turn them down. I just reached out to a former student and am trying to get answers as to research opportunities. My thoughts are just based off what I have heard, been looking into so please don't weigh them too heavily. But my understanding is that It's a pretty new program (the plans for it were only announces in like 2006) so I think the fact that it has as strong a reputation as it does is promising. My understanding is that it is much more focused on urban health than any other programs I looked at—this is good for me because that's where my interests lie but if that isn't what you're passionate about it may not be a good fit. I've heard from people that CUNY has a pretty good reputation with local government, nonprofits, and similar programs but that its reputation probably doesn't travel much past the NYC area so what you want to do after graduation probably matters a lot? Also, the price. I don't know if you got aid from Sinai but if you're an instate resident CUNY is like a third of the price.

I'm definitely leaning towards the CUNY program but I'd love to hear what you or anyone else is thinking, if there is something people think I'm missing, not weighing highly enough, or overlooking.

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on applying for MPH programs in the next cycle for Fall 2021. Due to COVID-19, many schools have waived or made it optional to submit the GRE scores, so now I'm trying to decide whether I should submit with my application or not because I took my GRE last year and got a pretty bad score. I'm worried that the program recruiters will either look down on my application because it has a bad score or look down because I don't have one to supplement my essays, etc.

What do you guys think I should do?

Please & thank you!

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on applying for MPH programs in the next cycle for Fall 2021. Due to COVID-19, many schools have waived or made it optional to submit the GRE scores, so now I'm trying to decide whether I should submit with my application or not because I took my GRE last year and got a pretty bad score. I'm worried that the program recruiters will either look down on my application because it has a bad score or look down because I don't have one to supplement my essays, etc.

Please & thank you!
I think it would be worth your while to ask the schools that you’re applying to how scholarships will be decided if they are waiving the GRE requirement.

A lot of the schools use the GRE + GPA to award scholarships.

My GRE was terrible but I still got into 7/8 schools I applied to, but scholarships were small. So definitely keep that in mind and try to get some info from the specific schools!

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Please & thank you!

I am in the exact same boat. Not sure if it is worse to have my poor GRE scores or not have any at all.

Last edited:
Hello everyone
I am currently applying to GWU MPH fall 2020
I have a bs in health science 3.06 GPA fall 2017 most of my degree related classes were mostly Bs and As.
I haven't taken the gre because they said they are waiving it right now.
I served in the dc army national guard air and medical unit for 10 years.
I took some time off from working and research jobs to raise my son who is now 2 as a stay at home mom but I want to continue my career.
For the last 1.5 years I have been interning and volunteering with one of my mentors she owns a community mental organization that help at risk individuals in the DC area. Her and a high ranking sergeant from the army wrote me great letters of recommendation. I spoke to my admissions counselor she said my sop was great and everything looks great. I am just worried that she is paid to say that lol. My anxiety is going thru the roof on whether or not I will be accepted because I don't have a lot of published research skills outside of undergrad. So I figured why not ask you guys/gals. Thanks for the responses.

How competitive is it to get into Emory's MPH program?
Hi! MPH Programs in general are not very competitive compared to other graduate programs (med school, PhD programs). That's because many programs have large cohorts so you aren't competing for few spots. Emory had 652 students enrolled in 2019 (Rollins Facts and Numbers) so there are many spots.

I found that the issue was not getting into MPH programs, but having good enough stats to get scholarships. It's not difficult to get into a program and it's become more popular so the market is saturated with people with an MPH. Getting a job is competitive since there are many people with an MPH but that shouldn't be an issue coming out of a top program like Emory.

Hi! MPH Programs in general are not very competitive compared to other graduate programs (med school, PhD programs). That's because many programs have large cohorts so you aren't competing for few spots. Emory had 652 students enrolled in 2019 (Rollins Facts and Numbers) so there are many spots.

I found that the issue was not getting into MPH programs, but having good enough stats to get scholarships. It's not difficult to get into a program and it's become more popular so the market is saturated with people with an MPH. Getting a job is competitive since there are many people with an MPH but that shouldn't be an issue coming out of a top program like Emory.

Posters have commented here that even MPHers coming out of top programs like JHU have problems finding jobs coming from certain concentrations like global health, it isn't necessarily where you went, but your other jobs skills and experience and specifically what hard job skills you learned at your MPH program. Definitely Emory is a very good school, but if somebody is looking for somebody with an Epi background and can work with certain stats programs, if that is proven by one candidate doing a concentration in that, then they aren't going to go with the behavioral sciences concentration from Emory. Public health reputation is actually kind of local in a lot of cases as each region of the US has different public health issues of prominence and local health departments know that students going to a regional school get a good background.

Many people come in getting the MPH with additional education and a health-related career, and it might be harder to use the MPH as a stand alone degree. From one "top 10" MPH program the students complained that it was nothing more than "more college" and was unclear what the high tuition was for. Definitely, high tuition and a fancy name doesn't necessarily mean a stellar education, before COVID people could get online degrees and get jobs but people going to brick and mortar schools would fail finding a job in their area, so your luck varies a lot. If the programs at Emory and JHU and other top schools are online . . . you're not getting the same networking and in-person class experience, for a lot of public health students you want to hear the inspirational lectures and thought provoking conversations.

In the past hospitals have often hired MPHers, but with decreased patient volumes for non-COVID related reasons, budgets are stretched thin, that might make it harder overall to get a job as an MPH. Also, the MPH degree is very general, I think if you are fantastic at a certain subject, and love it, like mathematics, then get a MS in BioStats, or if you love psychology get a masters level in that and simply look for public health realted jobs, most people working in public health, (including healthcare workers and logistics and scientists) don't have an MPH. The jack of all trades is master of none.

Hey can someone please give me their 2 cents on Drexel vs Icahn vs USC (University of Southern California) for MPH in Epidemiology? I've been accepted into the first two and I'll be hearing from the third this week. I want to do a PhD in Epidemiology after my MPH and I'm hoping to be an infectious disease epidemiologist. Which school might be better for research experience and good networking with great mentors? I'm not comparing costs or location or any other factors. Just how much research I can do as an MPH student there and how prepared for a PhD can a degree at each school make me?

(I should also add that my dream is to do my PhD at a top 10 school like UNC or Harvard or JHU.)

That's great! Which one did you choose to attend and why?

Buyer's remorse is so real after making a decision, especially with all of the uncertainty right now! personally, I turned down a fellowship at Drexel that would have meant about $35kish in loans for $60k at UNC and I regret/worry about it every day. I just keep reminding myself that there was a reason why I chose UNC and I need to trust my gut.. if I had one word to describe my visit at Drexel it would be underwhelming, and at UNC I was blown-away. I hope it helps to know that someone else is freaking out along with you/experiencing the same thing- I know that things are crazy right now, but I think it just really goes to show how important the field that we are all going into is- Where did you end up deciding to go? Best of luck!
Hey I got into Drexel too, for MPH in Epidemiology. Could you please tell me more about your experience there? Why was it underwhelming?

Posters have commented here that even MPHers coming out of top programs like JHU have problems finding jobs coming from certain concentrations like global health, it isn't necessarily where you went, but your other jobs skills and experience and specifically what hard job skills you learned at your MPH program. Definitely Emory is a very good school, but if somebody is looking for somebody with an Epi background and can work with certain stats programs, if that is proven by one candidate doing a concentration in that, then they aren't going to go with the behavioral sciences concentration from Emory. Public health reputation is actually kind of local in a lot of cases as each region of the US has different public health issues of prominence and local health departments know that students going to a regional school get a good background.

Many people come in getting the MPH with additional education and a health-related career, and it might be harder to use the MPH as a stand alone degree. From one "top 10" MPH program the students complained that it was nothing more than "more college" and was unclear what the high tuition was for. Definitely, high tuition and a fancy name doesn't necessarily mean a stellar education, before COVID people could get online degrees and get jobs but people going to brick and mortar schools would fail finding a job in their area, so your luck varies a lot. If the programs at Emory and JHU and other top schools are online . . . you're not getting the same networking and in-person class experience, for a lot of public health students you want to hear the inspirational lectures and thought provoking conversations.

In the past hospitals have often hired MPHers, but with decreased patient volumes for non-COVID related reasons, budgets are stretched thin, that might make it harder overall to get a job as an MPH. Also, the MPH degree is very general, I think if you are fantastic at a certain subject, and love it, like mathematics, then get a MS in BioStats, or if you love psychology get a masters level in that and simply look for public health realted jobs, most people working in public health, (including healthcare workers and logistics and scientists) don't have an MPH. The jack of all trades is master of none.
Do you feel it would be better to get a MHA rather than an MPH with a concentration in Health Management? Based on who I've spoken to I have been told that the MPH is a saturated market, especially in Atlanta. I am set up to go to Emory University to get my MPH- Health Management concentration but I am concerned about employment after I graduate. I am in-between going to University of Southern California, Master's in Health Administration/ Management or Emory Master's in Public Health- Health Management. I am an Southern California Native and I want to get out of California but I also want to set up myself for success once I graduate IF I decide not to pursue Medical School.

Do you feel it would be better to get a MHA rather than an MPH with a concentration in Health Management? Based on who I've spoken to I have been told that the MPH is a saturated market, especially in Atlanta. I am set up to go to Emory University to get my MPH- Health Management concentration but I am concerned about employment after I graduate. I am in-between going to University of Southern California, Master's in Health Administration/ Management or Emory Master's in Public Health- Health Management. I am an Southern California Native and I want to get out of California but I also want to set up myself for success once I graduate IF I decide not to pursue Medical School.

The economy was really good the past several years, it was definitely a buyer's market, but even in those relatively 'good times' there were plenty of upset MPHers posting here and elsewhere about not getting the job they want, or not being able to find a job in their area. The MPH degree is super flexible (but not highly specialized), but I think that a lot of the jobs that MPHers would gravitate towards are temporarily disappearing, 1/3 of people working in non-profits have lost their jobs in some states, and hospitals are going into the red as people are being scared away by COVID. I think that Emory is a terrific school, I don't really follow the health management stuff, but public health schools have become a business and they're ok with a lot of their graduates not doing public health, many schools are offering "certificates" in a certain area like Biostats as why waste 2 years, filled with many general college-level courses, just for really getting a specific subset of skills that employers want.

You have to follow your passions and interest too, the warning is that schools offering things like "global health" concentrations are ultimately appealing to idealism of students, but the job opportunities are often not there, both the Emory and USC programs you are applying for look more like the real world in terms of jobs. It is important to find something you really like to do and then get good at it.

Hi everyone! I'm currently a rising senior in undergrad planning on applying to MPH programs for Fall 2021. Right now, I am very interested in Brown's MPH in Maternal and Child Health. Does anyone have any insight/advice on Brown's MPH program? Especially for someone coming right out of undergrad and knowing it's a reach! Also, my GPA is 3.8 and I'm currently a PoliSci major :)

-Btw I'm also interested in applying to UNC, Emory, Tulane, Minnesota, BU, and either NYU or Yale

Last edited: