MPH after PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aloneinkyoto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I got my Ph.D. in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics from Emory Univ and currently, I'm pursuing my post-doc. However, as more and more time is elapsing I'm realizing that I would like to be able to apply my expertise in bacterial pathogenesis toward real life field studies and outbreaks. I've been considering attaining an MPH, in epidemiology. However, I'm still on the fence regarding this because for one I don't know if getting an MPH will afford me any additional incentive for I could possibly apply for a field based position with my Ph.D. Nonetheless, I still feel that gaining more expertise in epidemiology will may further strengthen my background in molecular pathogenesis and enable me to see the bigger picture. Moreover, I'm interested in the CDC sponsored EIS program "Epidemic Intelligence Service" and feel that I may be more competitive for it if I get an MPH in Epidemiology. However, feel free to correct me here. However, before I commit another 2 years to a daunting program, I just wanted to inquire regarding my prospects of getting into a top 10 or top 20 program with considerable scholarship or financial aid. Any advice or suggestions on this topic and I would be immensely indebted to you. I'm listing some of my accomplishments which I hope will enable you to advise me better -

I graduated Summa Cum Laude (GPA 3.84 with an A in Honors research)
I have 4 first author peer-reviewed publications as a pre-doctoral student (GPA was 3.92)
2 co-author publications and 1 co-author publication in submission.
NSF Fellowship recipient as a graduate student
During undergrad I was a TA, tutor for Microbiology, Genetics, Org. Chem, Gen. Chem, Mol. Biology.
During grad school I was a TA for Microbiology and often voluntarily tutored undergrads in Microbiol., and Org. Chem.
Guest lectured at middle school.
Mentored 3 undergrad students, 1 grad student, 1 high school student, and conducted hands on research work with an entire class of middle school students during grad school.
Currently, teaching a course to undergraduate students at NIH and at a university nearby.
Designed a course for undergraduate students
Mentored 2 graduate students in research at the NIH
I actively participate in conferences to promote involvement of underrepresented groups in science (because I have severe OCD [Obsessive compulsive disorder]).

Most of my experiences pertain to teaching or mentoring and I don't have any field work experience or working in public health because my interest in MPH has only recently surfaced and I want to be sure of this before I venture into this territory and of course financial concerns are also of grave significance here.

Also if there was some way for me to boost my chances I would be extremely grateful to you all for suggestions and advice.

Thank you,
AloneinKyoto...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I got my Ph.D. in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics from Emory Univ and currently, I'm pursuing my post-doc. However, as more and more time is elapsing I'm realizing that I would like to be able to apply my expertise in bacterial pathogenesis toward real life field studies and outbreaks. I've been considering attaining an MPH, in epidemiology. However, I'm still on the fence regarding this because for one I don't know if getting an MPH will afford me any additional incentive for I could possibly apply for a field based position with my Ph.D. Nonetheless, I still feel that gaining more expertise in epidemiology will may further strengthen my background in molecular pathogenesis and enable me to see the bigger picture. Moreover, I'm interested in the CDC sponsored EIS program "Epidemic Intelligence Service" and feel that I may be more competitive for it if I get an MPH in Epidemiology. However, feel free to correct me here. However, before I commit another 2 years to a daunting program, I just wanted to inquire regarding my prospects of getting into a top 10 or top 20 program with considerable scholarship or financial aid. Any advice or suggestions on this topic and I would be immensely indebted to you. I'm listing some of my accomplishments which I hope will enable you to advise me better -

I graduated Summa Cum Laude (GPA 3.84 with an A in Honors research)
I have 4 first author peer-reviewed publications as a pre-doctoral student (GPA was 3.92)
2 co-author publications and 1 co-author publication in submission.
NSF Fellowship recipient as a graduate student
During undergrad I was a TA, tutor for Microbiology, Genetics, Org. Chem, Gen. Chem, Mol. Biology.
During grad school I was a TA for Microbiology and often voluntarily tutored undergrads in Microbiol., and Org. Chem.
Guest lectured at middle school.
Mentored 3 undergrad students, 1 grad student, 1 high school student, and conducted hands on research work with an entire class of middle school students during grad school.
Currently, teaching a course to undergraduate students at NIH and at a university nearby.
Designed a course for undergraduate students
Mentored 2 graduate students in research at the NIH
I actively participate in conferences to promote involvement of underrepresented groups in science (because I have severe OCD [Obsessive compulsive disorder]).

Most of my experiences pertain to teaching or mentoring and I don't have any field work experience or working in public health because my interest in MPH has only recently surfaced and I want to be sure of this before I venture into this territory and of course financial concerns are also of grave significance here.

Also if there was some way for me to boost my chances I would be extremely grateful to you all for suggestions and advice.

Thank you,
AloneinKyoto...

I don't think getting into a program of your choice is an issue. You have significant - and very competitive - experience and academic background. Like you, I too have a doctorate, and I am currently doing my postdoctoral fellowship. I am applying for a MPH this application cycle for the entering class of 2013. To be sure, the quality of your academic background reflects your potential to do well in a MPH program. This is where GPA, test scores, quantitative skills, etc. come into play. However, the fact that you got into a doctoral program (at Emory, no less) and are currently in a postdoc position covers the academic qualifications that top-tiered (or any) MPH program is looking for.

I think for those in our situation (including applicants who have been in the workforce for some time) a case must be made as to why, after the doctorate, after all that study and experience, would you now want a MPH. This is where the personal statement is particularly essential. Again, the personal statement is critical across all types of applicants, but in my own encounters (through this forum, through program websites, etc.) it has come to my attention that it behooves us to make an argument about why the MPH, why now, and why that particular school.

There is a lot to think about, and I think only you can ultimately decide what is most meaningful for you. Is it possible to do the thing(s) you want without the MPH? I encourage you to look into 1-year programs. This might alleviate your concerns about doing a longer-term coursework. Harvard and Johns Hopkins come to mind. Yale, Columbia, and others also have "advanced" MPH, where those with advanced degrees (typically doctoral-level degrees) are admitted to accelerated programs of 1 year. Likewise, I encourage you to look at Harvard's website. Harvard requires a doctoral-level degree (PhD, MD, etc.) for their MPH - or master level degree with significant work experience. Whether or not Harvard is a fit for you is a different question. However, their admissions website will you give a sense of what programs like Harvard look for when they seek out applicants who already have advanced degrees.

In my view, you will get into a program. This is a non-issue. The bigger questions, I think, are why you want to, why a MPH, why now, and why that particular school.

Good luck!

P.S. I used to live in Kobe - and as a postdoctoral fellow in psychology, I treat people with OCD :)

Thank you so much for the invaluable information. I'm going to look through the websites that you suggested.
Take care,
AloneinKyoto

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I got my Ph.D. in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics from Emory Univ and currently, I'm pursuing my post-doc. However, as more and more time is elapsing I'm realizing that I would like to be able to apply my expertise in bacterial pathogenesis toward real life field studies and outbreaks. I've been considering attaining an MPH, in epidemiology. However, I'm still on the fence regarding this because for one I don't know if getting an MPH will afford me any additional incentive for I could possibly apply for a field based position with my Ph.D. [...] Moreover, I'm interested in the CDC sponsored EIS program "Epidemic Intelligence Service" and feel that I may be more competitive for it if I get an MPH in Epidemiology.

AIK, the EIS program does not really have a lab component to my knowledge. While you could certainly do an MPH epi and then do EIS to switch into pure public health (and I know science PhDs who have done so), you may get better use out of your PhD if you did a more lab-related fellowship with CDC. One of the good ones is the joint CDC/ASM fellowship:

http://archive.asm.org/index.php/ed...s-disease-and-public-health-microbiology.html

Another good one is the NCI cancer training fellowship, in which you actually get an MPH as part of your postdoctoral fellowship and then you are generally inducted into the NIH or other federal agency as some sort of investigator:

http://www3.cancer.gov/prevention/pob/

Thirdly, you could go for the APHL/CDC fellowship which, while seemingly research based, probably has more applied public health focus:

http://www.aphl.org/mycareer/fellowships/eid/pages/default.aspx

Hopefully one of these three will help achieve your goal of addressing "real life" outbreaks while still utilizing the 5+ years of PhD training that you got! ;)

Good luck!

I'm just seeing this thread today, but I'm another who has chosen to pursue an MPH after PhD. I don't have anything to add to the already awesome advice here, but can share my experience.

I had no trouble getting into a top school and the department of my choice--it's one of the top three PH schools. It was the only school to which I applied as well. Even though the school does not have a formal one-year program, I am managing to fit all the requirements into 12 calendar months. Fortunately for me, my GRE requirements were also waived and I was able to apply for a few hours of transfer credit from my PhD coursework that has made my life easier. At your advanced stage, I hope you would be able to do the same.

In my personal statement, I completely sold them on how I would use my academic background and research experience in the pursuit of a new slant to my career, and how the MPH would be an appropriate vehicle through which to do this. I talked about how what the program and the faculty would have to offer that I felt would fill in critical "gaps" that I (and employers I'd interviewed with as well--but I kept that off the record for the personal statement!) had identified that were an impediment to my intended career move. During this year, I've landed a fellowship that has allowed me to practice and make important contributions to my new professional field. I likely would not have gotten that languishing in another postdoc.

Packing all the requirements for an MPH in one year is a daunting task timewise, but it's been good for minimizing interruption of my professional endeavors, and I strongly feel I will be better positioned for employment afterwards, much more so than I was in my postdocs. Good luck to you.

In my personal statement, I completely sold them on how I would use my academic background and research experience in the pursuit of a new slant to my career, and how the MPH would be an appropriate vehicle through which to do this. I talked about how what the program and the faculty would have to offer that I felt would fill in critical "gaps" that I (and employers I'd interviewed with as well--but I kept that off the record for the personal statement!) had identified that were an impediment to my intended career move. During this year, I've landed a fellowship that has allowed me to practice and make important contributions to my new professional field. I likely would not have gotten that languishing in another postdoc.

What sort of jobs were you interviewing for?

I want to move towards a career in public health after completing my PhD in immunology (I'm currently training at Emory) and I'm wondering if a MPH would help with that transition.