MPH after residency in fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mama_DO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some guidance in figuring out if what I want is possible. I'll be starting residency in a few months at a rural community program and plan to do PCCM fellowship afterwards (at a different location, no fellowships or grad programs at my program). My long term goals are doing research in public health, and realized how invaluable an MPH would be.

Since my residency is set, my question is whether it is possible to do an MPH during fellowship? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe this would depend on the specific fellowship and the specific MPH program. For the fellowship, your schedule and whether the administration wants to support you would be important. I don't necessarily mean financial support but, rather, are they supportive in general of the endeavor and would have some flexibility in the schedule to accommodate MPH requirements from time to time. From the perspective of the MPH program, the location (very close to your fellowship location, or would you have to travel / commute), the type of program (on-person vs online), and the various requirements they may have for students would play a role in whether it would be feasible to do during fellowship. I think in your situation it may be best to identify one (or a few) MPH programs that you're interested in so you can figure out details about schedule and how it might impact your fellowship requirements. The more you know, the more you'd be able to "make your case" to your fellowship program if you need to ask for any accommodations to meet the MPH requirements.

Reactions: 1 users