MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted to Emory for epi as well!! Made my weekend :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like such an underdog. If there are any schools you guys think I should apply and what my chances are that would be SUPER MEGA AWESOME

Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA: 3.14
Major/Minor: B.S. Biology, B.A. History, and Minor in Anthropology
GRE (including date taken): 159 V (81%) and 156 Q (65%) taken 11/4/13, waiting on writing. -only a month of studying, got into the game late because I realized by the end of September I wanted to do public health and found out all the due dates were coming up. Instead of waiting for another year, I decided to take a gamble.

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 2 years research on making a transmission blocking Malaria vaccine out of Algae (1 publication)
  • 1.5 -present biotech company research in protein expression optimization for vaccine
  • 1 year Vice president, 1 year treasurer of Nikkei Student Union (Japanese American Club)
  • Volunteered in Amazon rainforest, Ecuador educating children on Nutrition
  • Volunteer English tutor for international students

Applied: UC Berkeley (MPH: Infectious Disease and Vaccinology), (Thinking about applying to Columbia, Emory, USF, SFSU, UC Davis, amongst others)
(Edit)

Accepted: UC Berkeley!
I got lazy and didn't feel like applying to the other schools 'til I got rejected from Berkeley but now it looks like I don't have to. Yay saving money with in-state tuition and being close to family!
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Got into UC Berkeley! YAY! Received a call. Has anyone else heard back?

Lots of acceptances in the last few days, congratulations to everyone!

I saw people were hearing decisions from Emory, so I checked my decision letter on OPUS and was excited to see I was accepted!!! My first acceptance!

I have been lurking for awhile so I thought I would share my stats.

Undergrad School: Canadian University
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (WES) with strong upward trend
Major/Minor: BSc Biological Science, BA International Relations
GRE (including date taken): V 157 Q 156 W 5.5 (11/11/13)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 6 months with UN Agency, 1yr online coordinator for global health youth advocacy site, 6 month research committee internship for youth based HIV and hep C NGO, health care volunteer in various low income countries, and other volunteer and non public health related experience

Applied: Berkeley (11/28), UW (11/28), Emory (12/29), UNC (12/29), Columbia (01/14), GW (01/25), NYU (01/25) UCSF (interview- MSGH 01/28)
Accepted: Emory (01/24), Columbia (02/20), UCSF (02/25), GW(03/03), NYU (03/07)
Rejected: UW (02/11)
Withdrawn: UNC

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got into UC Berkeley! YAY! Received a call. Has anyone else heard back?

Exciting you have already heard back and congrats!

I didn't think we would hear anything from Berkeley until mid Feb. I have not heard anything yet, but am really eager to hear their decision.

Did anyone apply to HPM at Emory and hear back yet? Or all of you getting accepted into other programs like Epi?! I'm freaking out!! Congrats to everyone! :)

Did anyone apply to HPM at Emory and hear back yet? Or all of you getting accepted into other programs like Epi?! I'm freaking out!! Congrats to everyone! :)

HPM as well. Nothing yet... Just checked OPUS, it's prob dependent on the department and their turn around time. Congrats guys!

Exciting you have already heard back and congrats!

I didn't think we would hear anything from Berkeley until mid Feb. I have not heard anything yet, but am really eager to hear their decision.

Thank you thank you! When I got the phone call I was really surprised since I was reading that people usually hear by email and it doesn't come until much later. The woman on the phone started off with, "I'm sure you already know..." but I didn't! She provided me with legit dates for events, but I was too excited to come up with any more questions. The phone call came from a number listed on Berkeley's public health site so I feel like I can trust what she said.

My status on the Berkeley graduate school apps is 'submitted.' I thought this meant that my application was submitted, not me as a student. Shouldn't it change to admitted? I didn't receive anything on my SOPHAS either. So hopefully this isn't some cruel joke and I really did get in.

Add me to the list of HPM'ers who haven't heard from Emory yet... But... I just randomly checked the UNC website, and I've been accepted to their HPM masters program! Here's hoping that those of us who applied to HPM departments start hearing more (good) news soon! Good luck everyone!

Thank you thank you! When I got the phone call I was really surprised since I was reading that people usually hear by email and it doesn't come until much later. The woman on the phone started off with, "I'm sure you already know..." but I didn't! She provided me with legit dates for events, but I was too excited to come up with any more questions. The phone call came from a number listed on Berkeley's public health site so I feel like I can trust what she said.

My status on the Berkeley graduate school apps is 'submitted.' I thought this meant that my application was submitted, not me as a student. Shouldn't it change to admitted? I didn't receive anything on my SOPHAS either. So hopefully this isn't some cruel joke and I really did get in.

The phone call sounds very legitimate to me. The system is probably just slow to update because of the procedures the admissions staff has to go through to update your status. I am sure after a few days you will see the change in your application status. In the meantime, celebrate!

I guess I'm a lot less patient than everyone else here. I noticed on Monday that my OPUS portal had a "pay deposit" link that it didn't before and called Admissions yesterday. After the most excruciating hold ever, I was told that I was accepted to Emory's Global Health dept. She said I was a little early and decisions should be posted by the end of the week. Good luck to everyone and maybe we'll be classmates together in Atlanta :)

I was accepted to Emory Global Health dept as well. Did not hear from Yale yet.

I was accepted to Emory Global Health dept as well. Did not hear from Yale yet.
BTW here is my info
Undergrad School: Brown
Undergrad GPA: 3.8

Major/Minor: Human Biology emphasis Environmental Health
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 167 Verbal, 167 Quantitative, 5.5 Writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Employed at Christiaan Bernard teaching hospital, South Africa. Biostatistical research at Brown, and St. Mary's. Studied in Belize and Peru. Biology TA 2 years, and Cooridnator for OLEEP 2 years, outdoor mentor program for inner city youth.

Hey guys, congrats on all the new acceptances. I was just wondering where all the UPitt people are? I haven't heard much from any of my potential classmates.
Undergrad School: University of Michigan
Undergrad GPA: 3.03
Major/Minor: Biopsychology, Cognition and Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken): 157 V, 157 Q, 5.0 W (11/29)
(1) 1.5 yr cardiovascular pharmacology lab & plastics/oncology lab,
(2) 6 months EMT (National Registry and Basic certified),
(3) 10 months acute clinical care (ER tech) at a level 1 trauma center,
(4) 9 months study abroad,
(5) various volunteering and leadership positions while in undergrad.
(7) 30+ hours shadowing internal medicine private practice physician.

Applied (SOPHAS Mailed 11/27/2013)
Boston University (Epi)
George Washington University (Epi) [In Review - 01/17]
Saint Louis University in MO (Biosecurity and Disaster Prepardness/Epi)
U of Illinois at Chicago (Epi) [In Review - 12/20]
U of Maryland (Epi) [In Review - 1/17]
U Michigan (Toxicology, International Health) [In Review]
Yale (Epi) [In Review - 12/17]
UPitt (Infectious diseases and Microbio)

Accepted: UPitt for PEL and MIC (01/08, 01/21), St. Louis U in MO (02/04)
Rejected: Michigan for Toxicology (01/20)
Waitlisted: BU (01/09)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
BTW here is my info
Undergrad School: Brown
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: Human Biology emphasis Environmental Health
GradGPA
(if applicable): 3.8
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 167 Verbal, 167 Quantitative, 5.5 Writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Employed at Christiaan Bernard teaching hospital, South Africa. Biostatistical research at Brown, and St. Mary's. Studied in Belize and Peru. Biology TA 2 years, and Cooridnator for OLEEP 2 years, outdoor mentor program for inner city youth.

Congrats on Emory, any opinion on Brown's MPH in terms of global health? It is always amazing to see how Brown undergrads are involved in global health projects at the school.

Hey guys, congrats on all the new acceptances. I was just wondering where all the UPitt people are? I haven't heard much from any of my potential classmates.
Undergrad School: University of Michigan
Undergrad GPA: 3.03
Major/Minor: Biopsychology, Cognition and Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken): 157 V, 157 Q, 5.0 W (11/29)
(1) 1.5 yr cardiovascular pharmacology lab & plastics/oncology lab,
(2) 6 months EMT (National Registry and Basic certified),
(3) 10 months acute clinical care (ER tech) at a level 1 trauma center,
(4) 9 months study abroad,
(5) various volunteering and leadership positions while in undergrad.
(7) 30+ hours shadowing internal medicine private practice physician.

Applied (SOPHAS Mailed 11/27/2013)
Boston University (Epi)
George Washington University (Epi) [In Review - 01/17]
Saint Louis University in MO (Biosecurity and Disaster Prepardness/Epi) [In Review - 12/20]
U of Illinois at Chicago (Epi) [In Review - 12/20]
U of Maryland (Epi) [In Review - 1/17]
U Michigan (Toxicology, International Health) [In Review]
Yale (Epi) [In Review - 12/17]
UPitt (Infectious diseases and Microbio)

Accepted: UPitt for PEL and MIC (01/08, 01/21)
Rejected: Michigan for Toxicology (01/20)
Waitlisted: BU (01/09)

Potential classmate here! Got into IDM PEL. Have you visited yet or are you planning on going to admitted students day?

It really surprises me that Brown's MPH isn't really that well known (maybe it's recently established?) because Brown has one of the best global health programs in the country and it is very active. So far, I've only been accepted to BU for epi....can't wait to hear back from other programs, especially Emory and Yale.

deleted

Last edited:
Got into Hopkins today for full time MPH!!
Oh wait sorry you already told me that you submitted it on November 27th. I submitted mine on November 13th, hopefully I hear something soon.. Kind of getting nervous though :(

Thought I would jump on board...

Undergrad School: University of Michigan Business School
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Major/Minor: Operations Strategy, Minor in Statistics
GRE (including date taken): 160 V, 160 Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 yr healthcare consulting, 4 yrs in strategic planning at a large academic medical center, internships at hospitals in India and Peru, volunteer at free clinic

Applied: Hopkins (11-month MPH), Harvard, Berkeley, UCLA, UW (all HPM)
Accepted: UCLA (2/5), Berkeley (2/5), Hopkins (2/17), UW (2/19)
Rejected: Harvard (2/28)
Waitlisted: none

Attending: Berkeley HPM :)

Last edited:
Oh wait sorry you already told me that you submitted it on November 27th. I submitted mine on November 13th, hopefully I hear something soon.. Kind of getting nervous though :(

I would call if you havent heard. I called an hour before they emailed me, and she reassured me that they would let me know soon.

Undergrad School: UIC (Illinios-Chicago)
Undergrad GPA: 3.46
Major/Minor: Public Health conc. health admin/ Math
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 154 Q: 162
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Biostatistics Enrichment Summer Training (BEST) at Columbia Mailman (8wk research program)

Applied: UMinnesota, UMichigan, Hopkins, Yale
Accepted: Yale
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Interview:
UMinnesota (most likely will not go, last choice), UMichigan (debating if I really want to spend the money if I know I'd rather go to Yale)

Has anyone heard back from JHU MHA program? It was my first choice but getting into Yale MPH-HCM was a definite relief. And if anyone is thinking of Yale are you going to be at the new student day in April?

JHU is killing me! My application was submitted Nov 30, became complete Dec 8 and still waiting for a decision!

GradGPA (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Biostatistics Enrichment Summer Training (BEST) at Columbia Mailman (8wk research program)

Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Interview:
UMinnesota (most likely will not go, last choice), UMichigan (debating if I really want to spend the money if I know I'd rather go to Yale)

Has anyone heard back from JHU MHA program? It was my first choice but getting into Yale MPH-HCM was a definite relief. And if anyone is thinking of Yale are you going to be at the new student day in April?
GradGPA (if applicable):

Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Interview:

I'm going! I got into the Health Care Management program there. Should be fun! (Although I am waiting on Columbia, UCLA and Cornell)

Congratulations to everyone! Everyone has such impressive stats and I am really hoping for the best for you guys. I just received an email from Tulane informing me that I was accepted to their MS epidemiology program! No word on funding yet, but I am relieved that I have at least one acceptance. I still hate this waiting game though lol

I'm going! I got into the Health Care Management program there. Should be fun! (Although I am waiting on Columbia, UCLA and Cornell)

Oh yay cool! Possible future classmates. Is Yale one of your top choices, or one of the other three schools? If you don't mind me asking.

Oh yay cool! Possible future classmates. Is Yale one of your top choices, or one of the other three schools? If you don't mind me asking.

It's top two. My best friend is currently in the program right now and loves it. It's going to be a tough decision if I get into Columbia though...

It's top two. My best friend is currently in the program right now and loves it. It's going to be a tough decision if I get into Columbia though...

Yea thats what I said if I get into JHU. And I spent the summer at Mailman and loved the people there, even though it was in the biostatistics department and not MHA. And its NYC so you really can't go wrong. Then again New Haven is only a 1.5hr train ride away from the Big Apple. I think in the end, for me at least, it'll come down to financial support.

But Columbia and Yale are both world-renown and educationally sound. Great choice either way!

I would call if you havent heard. I called an hour before they emailed me, and she reassured me that they would let me know soon.
Ok I will do that, hopefully they will get back to me either way. At this point I just want to know. Thanks for the tip.

Thought I would jump on board...

Undergrad School: University of Michigan Business School
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Major/Minor: Operations Strategy, Minor in Statistics
GRE (including date taken): 160 V, 160 Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 yr healthcare consulting, 4 yrs in strategic planning at a large academic medical center, internships at hospitals in India and Peru, volunteer at free clinic

Applied: Hopkins (MPH), Harvard (SM2), Berkeley, UCLA, UW (all HPM)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

You've got more than 5 yrs of work experience, why are you applying to the SM2 at HSPH?

Hey everyone!

I hope I'm not alone when I say I applied to a good handful of schools because I was so worried about getting in! I could have relaxed on it a little but you live and you learn right?

I am starting in Fall 2014 for an MPH in Epidemiology (is this real life?!? :) ) and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Tufts, BU, and Tulane on best for epidemiology -especially infectious disease. Which one is stronger in that field?

I am still waiting on a few schools, mainly Emory, Yale, and JHU so that would change things for me but as of now I don't have those acceptances :/

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

do you guys know if its easy to switch concentrations at BU?

GradGPA (if applicable):

Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Interview:

I'm in the same boat.

GradGPA (if applicable):

Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Interview:

Yes and yes! I applied super early to the MHA program at Hopkins and they were my first admit. I will most likely go to Yale's admitted students day although I haven't gotten a ticket yet.

Hey everyone!

I hope I'm not alone when I say I applied to a good handful of schools because I was so worried about getting in! I could have relaxed on it a little but you live and you learn right?

I am starting in Fall 2014 for an MPH in Epidemiology (is this real life?!? :) ) and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Tufts, BU, and Tulane on best for epidemiology -especially infectious disease. Which one is stronger in that field?

I am still waiting on a few schools, mainly Emory, Yale, and JHU so that would change things for me but as of now I don't have those acceptances :/

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

So I don't know too much about Epidemiology programs in depth. But from what my professors say (UIC-SPH) they tend to agree that research opportunities make for the strongest programs. More importantly, what kind of research you want to be involved with. Most SPH websites that have been to have a list of current research and past research topics. It also give names of professors and what they are focused on and currently involved in. So with that I think between Tufts, BU, and Tulane its just a matter of who has the better research facilities, resources, funding (for research), and opportunities for you to get involved.
But if you do hear positively from JHU later on, they definitely have the strongest research reputation! I hope this helps.

Yes and yes! I applied super early to the MHA program at Hopkins and they were my first admit. I will most likely go to Yale's admitted students day although I haven't gotten a ticket yet.

O yay congrats on the Hopkins acceptance! How early did you apply and when did you hear back? I hope you didn't answer this earlier and I just missed it.

Yea I'm planning on coming to Yale too but I haven't booked anything yet either. Seems like so far away...next thing you know it'll be March lol

O yay congrats on the Hopkins acceptance! How early did you apply and when did you hear back? I hope you didn't answer this earlier and I just missed it.

Yea I'm planning on coming to Yale too but I haven't booked anything yet either. Seems like so far away...next thing you know it'll be March lol

Thanks! I submitted my application to Johns Hopkins on 9/18 and my last LOR was received 10/10. I did a Skype interview on 11/4 and was offered admission on 12/10 or 12/11.

Ugh I priced tickets for April 4th and it just so happens to be a more expensive weekend so I've been putting it off. I guess that's just traveling in the spring.

Thanks! I submitted my application to Johns Hopkins on 9/18 and my last LOR was received 10/10. I did a Skype interview on 11/4 and was offered admission on 12/10 or 12/11.

Ugh I priced tickets for April 4th and it just so happens to be a more expensive weekend so I've been putting it off. I guess that's just traveling in the spring.

Oh wow! That was early. I hadn't even taken my GRE yet lol. Yay for determination.

Exactly, where you flying in from, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have any idea of the itinerary for the day? I want to like buy a ticket arriving Friday morning and leaving Friday night. Packing light. But at the longest I want to only be there for one night. Still a college kid here

Just because I feel like I've seen mostly Epi/GH people on here...anyone apply for Behavioral Science/Health Ed/Social and Behavioral Science programs? Even more specific--interested in risk behaviors? I'm mainly focused on BU and Emory right now, but still waiting to hear back from Johns Hopkins so that will probably be in the mix, and am curious to see if anyone has opinions on what the best option is!

Oh wow! That was early. I hadn't even taken my GRE yet lol. Yay for determination.

Exactly, where you flying in from, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have any idea of the itinerary for the day? I want to like buy a ticket arriving Friday morning and leaving Friday night. Packing light. But at the longest I want to only be there for one night. Still a college kid here

I know, it's totally crazy! I've been working for a couple years and wanted to be completely sure before I spent tens of thousands of dollars on a grad program that I was making the right choice (and applying as early as possible to be considered for scholarships).

Haha same here. Broke college students..

I know, it's totally crazy! I've been working for a couple years and wanted to be completely sure before I spent tens of thousands of dollars on a grad program that I was making the right choice (and applying as early as possible to be considered for scholarships).

Have you heard anything from Yale regarding the merit-based scholarships? I was told somewhere between Feb. and Mar.

I've been lurking here a while, but I figured I'd add to the cycle of hope and anxiety - maybe some hope for the sub-3.0 crowd.

Undergrad School: Cornell University
Undergrad GPA: 2.735 SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
GRE (including date taken): V: 170, Q: 168, AW: 4.5 (Early December)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years of ornithological research an undergrad, 1 year full time. No public health/medical experience

Applied: Hahvahd, BU, Emory, Yale, Drexel (Epidemiology); Columbia, Tulane, UMass, SUNY Albany (Biostatistics); Tufts (Biostats&Epi); all mailed early January
Accepted: Tufts (MPH 1/23), UMass (MS 1/27), Emory (MPH 1/27), BU (MPH), Drexel (MPH), Columbia (MS 2/20)
Rejected: SUNY Albany (MPH), Tulane (MSPH), BU (MS), Emory (MSPH)
Waitlisted:

Because of my low GPA, I probably went overboard and applied to too many schools. I think I can justify it because my tax refund should cover the application fees...

Last edited:
I've been lurking here a while, but I figured I'd add to the cycle of hope and anxiety - maybe some hope for the sub-3.0 crowd.

Undergrad School: Cornell University
Undergrad GPA: 2.735 SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
GRE (including date taken): V: 170, Q: 168, AW: 4.5 (Early December)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years of ornithological research an undergrad, 1 year full time. No public health/medical experience

Applied: Hahvahd, BU, Emory, Yale, Drexel (Epidemiology); Columbia, Tulane, UMass, SUNY Albany (Biostatistics); Tufts (Biostats&Epi); all mailed early January
Accepted: Tufts (MPH 1/23), UMass (MS 1/27), Emory (MPH 1/27)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Because of my low GPA, I probably went overboard and applied to too many schools. I think I can justify it because my tax refund should cover the application fees...

Congratulations! I have a few friends that go to Cornell and they said it's tough there academically. One of the few Ivy's with hardly any grade inflation. You absolutely killed the GRE though.

Just contacted JHU regarding their MPH program, they said decisions are sent out 10 weeks after the date it was submitted to the dept for review.

Have you heard anything from Yale regarding the merit-based scholarships? I was told somewhere between Feb. and Mar.

Nope. I think all the programs I applied to start notifying in February. I'll let the boards know when I do receive my financial aid packages though. Have you filled out your FAFSA?