MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine took about 4 weeks to verify. I also still haven't heard anything for Columbia. I hope to hear back before I go on my medical mission trip in two weeks. Otherwise, I probably won't look at my email until I get back haha. I don't wanna be sad on my trip if I don't get in.


I called them early last week they said by this Friday it should be verified and Friday came & went & my status hasn't changed!

Did you apply to the HPM concentration?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you can do your practicum anywhere? At least I know that in Columbia its a world wide practicum and we get to choose where we want to apply and go...

I think UNC would give you the best opportunities as a student and if you're able to do your practicum in the state you want to reside in later off in life you should be able to hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Personally I wouldn't give up UNC for UW 🙂


Thank you so much for the reply I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the internship doesn't work that way for those two schools. I would do all of it in the surrounding area as far as I'm aware. Does that change your thoughts at all or would you still say UNC?
 
Thank you so much for the reply I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the internship doesn't work that way for those two schools. I would do all of it in the surrounding area as far as I'm aware. Does that change your thoughts at all or would you still say UNC?


Are you continuing your degree into another program, and this degree is a stepping-stone? Or is this a career choice? As in you'll be working with your MPH
 
This will be it! I'm not planning on pursuing any more education after my MPH.


For me personally it would be hard to say no to UNC; the name weighs heavily. And ranking is important too me as well as the curriculum that will prepare me for the career I am looking for. The opportunities and connections I can build with a prestigious institution... But everyone has their own set of priorities [emoji4] when school searching.

I think with a name like UNC on your shoulders it would be easy to make connections back in Seattle. Just two quick years in the south and then back to the city life [emoji6]
 
For me personally it would be hard to say no to UNC; the name weighs heavily. And ranking is important too me as well as the curriculum that will prepare me for the career I am looking for. The opportunities and connections I can build with a prestigious institution... But everyone has their own set of priorities [emoji4] when school searching.

I think with a name like UNC on your shoulders it would be easy to make connections back in Seattle. Just two quick years in the south and then back to the city life [emoji6]


Thanks so much for the input! It's really helpful =)
 
Hi all,

What are your opinions on location? I am feeling deadlocked between UNC and UWashington. I went to UW for undergrad and absolutely love Seattle and would be happy to spend a good chuck of my life there. However, UNC's program is more exciting to me and the SPH is more highly ranked. I am Nutrition/Dietetics and that comes with a nine month internship in several placements and therefore a lot of networking opportunities. If I went to UNC, I don't think I would want to stay in the South so would it be foolish to go there? Would that be a waste of my internship networking or do you think with UNC on my resume it would be easy enough to get good positions in other places?

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks =)

I have a few friends who majored in Nutrition in undergrad and absolutely loved it. Although none of them continued onto a career or job in nutrition (they were all pre-med), I know they were able to work in research labs and network pretty well. I'm not sure what kind of nutrition you would like to go into, but UNC is big on research dealing with eating disorders and obesity.

Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker. I'm trying to decide between UNC (MHA) and Yale (MPH-HCM). Any thoughts? I haven't read much of a discussion on UNC this year's thread. And has anyone heard about financial aid for either of these schools? How common is it to get need and merit based aid?
Thanks 🙂

I mentioned this a lot earlier, but if you go to UNC and move here in like July you'll be able to get residency for your 2nd year. In-state tuition is like 50% less than out-of-state. The school in general makes a point to try to stay affordable for all. There are a lot of opportunities in research and teaching assistantships as well.

I'm trying to decide among Emory, UNC, and Berkeley. I feel like it would be so dumb for me to say no to UNC because it would be so much cheaper for me and it's such a great school, but I was born and grew up in NC and now have a chance to get away for a little bit.

But if anyone else has any questions about UNC including location, culture, where to live etc, let me know! I will say that Chapel Hill is very much a college town. Everyone who lives here is associated with the university in some way. It's very southern in the way that we're all super nice and welcoming and love biscuits and sweet tea, but UNC and Chapel Hill are both pretty liberal. There's a little hipster-y town called Carrboro that many grad students live in that's slightly cheaper than Chapel Hill. Having a car is nice, but you can get to anywhere on buses including the airport and we finally have Uber! Also, it's now March so beware of the March Madness buzz if you plan to visit this month. College basketball is a real addiction.
 
For those who've heard from Harvard, did you get an email from them or did you have to check your applicant status in the applicant portal? I forgot my password for it and can't get into the portal hahaha..

I got an email asking me to check my portal. Nothing on the email to indicate which way the decision went. Good luck!
 
I have a few friends who majored in Nutrition in undergrad and absolutely loved it. Although none of them continued onto a career or job in nutrition (they were all pre-med), I know they were able to work in research labs and network pretty well. I'm not sure what kind of nutrition you would like to go into, but UNC is big on research dealing with eating disorders and obesity.



I mentioned this a lot earlier, but if you go to UNC and move here in like July you'll be able to get residency for your 2nd year. In-state tuition is like 50% less than out-of-state. The school in general makes a point to try to stay affordable for all. There are a lot of opportunities in research and teaching assistantships as well.

I'm trying to decide among Emory, UNC, and Berkeley. I feel like it would be so dumb for me to say no to UNC because it would be so much cheaper for me and it's such a great school, but I was born and grew up in NC and now have a chance to get away for a little bit.

But if anyone else has any questions about UNC including location, culture, where to live etc, let me know! I will say that Chapel Hill is very much a college town. Everyone who lives here is associated with the university in some way. It's very southern in the way that we're all super nice and welcoming and love biscuits and sweet tea, but UNC and Chapel Hill are both pretty liberal. There's a little hipster-y town called Carrboro that many grad students live in that's slightly cheaper than Chapel Hill. Having a car is nice, but you can get to anywhere on buses including the airport and we finally have Uber! Also, it's now March so beware of the March Madness buzz if you plan to visit this month. College basketball is a real addiction.


Thank you!!! I definitely might PM you about Chapel Hill. I won't be able to go to admitted student's day so I've been trying to figure out what it would be like from websites and it's not the same! Thanks for the offer =)
 
I received my acceptance from UIC about a month ago. I'd imagine that most everybody should hear from them pretty soon. I applied early November so it was about a 3 month wait for me, if that helps.


Which concentration for UIC?

I applied to the HPA but not sure if it has an interview component; email the department waiting to hear back...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which concentration for UIC?

I applied to the HPA but not sure if it has an interview component; email the department waiting to hear back...
I was accepted into the Epidemiology concentration (Epi & Biostat division). I'd imagine that the HPA division has a slightly different timeline. I haven't heard of UIC doing interviews for that, though.
 
I was accepted into the Epidemiology concentration (Epi & Biostat division). I'd imagine that the HPA division has a slightly different timeline. I haven't heard of UIC doing interviews for that, though.

I applied for community health and received confirmation in early January. Still waiting to hear a decision though
 
Hi guys, I just wanted to let y'all know that I have been going really crazy this weekend and first thing this morning, I called Harvard admissions and specifically asked, "Has the epidemiology department sent out all of its acceptances for SM2 yet?". I'm a little worried that I shouldn't have asked like that, but what's done is done lol. I'm wondering if it's bad luck to ask about applications because I did that for Yale, and the next morning, I got a rejection 😛

Anyway, the representative was pretty nice and said that all acceptances from the Epi department have not been sent out yet due to the heavy snowfall over the past month and that there will be more batches of acceptances.

Now, I don't want to get our hopes up too high because last year, the rest of the decisions for SM2 (at least out of the ones posted here) looked like rejections. On the other hand though, there HAS been a lot of snow........

Anyway, many of us in this boat also got into some GREAT schools (Congratulations), so all is not lost 🙂
 
Hi guys, I just wanted to let y'all know that I have been going really crazy this weekend and first thing this morning, I called Harvard admissions and specifically asked, "Has the epidemiology department sent out all of its acceptances for SM2 yet?". I'm a little worried that I shouldn't have asked like that, but what's done is done lol. I'm wondering if it's bad luck to ask about applications because I did that for Yale, and the next morning, I got a rejection 😛

Anyway, the representative was pretty nice and said that all acceptances from the Epi department have not been sent out yet due to the heavy snowfall over the past month and that there will be more batches of acceptances.

Now, I don't want to get our hopes up too high because last year, the rest of the decisions for SM2 (at least out of the ones posted here) looked like rejections. On the other hand though, there HAS been a lot of snow........

Anyway, many of us in this boat also got into some GREAT schools (Congratulations), so all is not lost 🙂
THANK YOU for doing what many of us I'm sure were too scared to (at least I was :laugh:). I'm glad to hear all hope is not lost. I just literally went through and pulled all of the data from grad cafe. There's not even enough SM2 Epi entries for it really to be indicative of how decisions are released. I will continue my fervent refreshing until I hear... This is driving me insane. :scared:
 
Last edited:
Hey guys if anyone else applied to U Maryland College Park, epidemiology and biostat department, they just emailed me back saying decisions will be released this week.
 
Hey guys if anyone else applied to U Maryland College Park, epidemiology and biostat department, they just emailed me back saying decisions will be released this week.

Thanks for following up! Can't wait to hear from UMD-CP.
 
Hey guys if anyone else applied to U Maryland College Park, epidemiology and biostat department, they just emailed me back saying decisions will be released this week.
They may post the decision on your portal before they send u an email. I got an email saying I was recommended for admission from my department chair about two weeks ago, but I finally got my email to check the portal for my official decision from the graduate school yesterday, although my letter was dated for last week. Keep in mind I applied for the MHA though, best of luck.
 
So it was announced today that Berkeley SPH received a $13 million gift to help launch their new maternal and child health center. The center will be focused on "innovative, evidence-based research aimed at creating healthier generations of women, mothers, children and families in the United States". Wondering what kind of impact this will have on the program and school! Ahh, this is making my decision so much more difficult.

Link here: http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2015/03/02/13-million-gift-launches-maternal-and-child-health-center/
 
Has anyone applied to Georgetown's Master of Science in Global Health program or Columbia's Accelerated MPH program? Anyone heard anything back from either of these?

This waiting game sure is not fun...
 
So... I thought I had forfeited my VCU application by not sending in my transcripts, but lo and behold I got an acceptance email from them this morning. Very surprised, but still kinda glad that I have more options because money.
 
So... I thought I had forfeited my VCU application by not sending in my transcripts, but lo and behold I got an acceptance email from them this morning. Very surprised, but still kinda glad that I have more options because money.
I got into VCU today as well. What are your thoughts on their program?
 
Is it just me is Columbia quite today...? I'm hesitant to call them... [emoji16]


HPM department
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got into VCU today as well. What are your thoughts on their program?

Well, when I thought I was withdrawing my app I was doing so because of a few reasons:
1. I felt good about my chances at Colorado and really preferred their program.
2. The Richmond area seems sketchy and is not close enough to DC to actually do meaningful work when class is in session.
3. I attended the APHA conference in November and the presentations from VCU were just okay... I feel bad saying it, but I didn't feel very impressed with the quality of work the students were doing in a couple different programs, but especially epidemiology.
4. I wasn't wowed by any of the work being done by the professors there- not that it isn't good/well-done- but because it wasn't along the same lines of what I want to study.


That said, if they give me money, I'll definitely consider it and get as much as I can out of the experience. I'm at a relatively mediocre school that's in the middle of nowhere now and I feel I've taken advantage of what was available, so it's been a hard but rewarding experience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KPZ
Oh darn. I guess that Harvard has decided to withhold my rejection for today. Maybe tomorrow, on National Pancake Day, I will be notified while I'm eating my free pancakes (to soften the blow).

IDK about y'all, but I'm just tired at this point. I'm looking forward to sending my intent to whichever school I finally decide to go to and just be done with this. The only thing that is stopping me now is financial aid. Once I get my financial aid packages, then it'll all be done!

At least the admissions part. Then I'll have to then obsess and worry about: housing, selling my things, shipping stuff, moving, etc. All the fun stuff (I really hate moving)!...
 
Oh darn. I guess that Harvard has decided to withhold my rejection for today. Maybe tomorrow, on National Pancake Day, I will be notified while I'm eating my free pancakes (to soften the blow).

IDK about y'all, but I'm just tired at this point. I'm looking forward to sending my intent to whichever school I finally decide to go to and just be done with this. The only thing that is stopping me now is financial aid. Once I get my financial aid packages, then it'll all be done!

At least the admissions part. Then I'll have to then obsess and worry about: housing, selling my things, shipping stuff, moving, etc. All the fun stuff (I really hate moving)!...



[emoji23] Oh man we're here for ya!



BTW I already asked this and no one responded has anyone interviewed for UIC MPH-HPA? I just got word from them today there's in an interview component but there's nothing on the website according to their offices and no one really helped me out in telling me the process of the interview... :-/
 
Last edited:
OK, first--I am NOT humble bragging. I am just truly shocked and overwhelmed by my choices, and need someone to tell me what to do. I plan to study reproductive health, especially issues related to contraception. Kind of leaning towards doing research. Which school has the best program for that? Hunches entirely welcome. I have hardly a clue.

Undergrad School: Small liberal arts college in Texas
Undergrad GPA: 3.48
Major/Minor: English/Spanish
GradGPA
Grad Studies
GRE
166 V / 156 Q / 4.0 AR (Seriously. An English major. Got a 3.5 the first time.)
Experience/Research
- I've worked for the past year and a half as a grant writer for a nationally know nonprofit that supports women's reproductive rights and healthcare for the uninsured.
- Prior to that, I worked as a grant writer/event coordinator for one year within a local hospital's foundation.
- I've volunteered for the past two years as local hospitals, specifically those that serve low-income families and children.

Applied: UNC; Harvard; GWU; UT; JHU; Columbia; Tulane; Emory
Accepted: UNC- Health Policy and Management; Columbia - Population and Family Health; Johns Hopkins - General MPH; Tulane - Health Policy; UT
Rejected: Emory
Waitlisted:

I'm still waiting on Harvard (Global Health and Population) and GWU (Health Policy). Any ideas regarding those two (esp. Harvard) would be very much appreciated. Please...halp. :-/
 
Well, when I thought I was withdrawing my app I was doing so because of a few reasons:
1. I felt good about my chances at Colorado and really preferred their program.
2. The Richmond area seems sketchy and is not close enough to DC to actually do meaningful work when class is in session.
3. I attended the APHA conference in November and the presentations from VCU were just okay... I feel bad saying it, but I didn't feel very impressed with the quality of work the students were doing in a couple different programs, but especially epidemiology.
4. I wasn't wowed by any of the work being done by the professors there- not that it isn't good/well-done- but because it wasn't along the same lines of what I want to study.


That said, if they give me money, I'll definitely consider it and get as much as I can out of the experience. I'm at a relatively mediocre school that's in the middle of nowhere now and I feel I've taken advantage of what was available, so it's been a hard but rewarding experience.
Thank you for the detailed response! I only found them through searching for psych epi online; they have a handful of faculty doing mental health research, which is a good draw, but I have no idea what their reputation is, so this is helpful.
 
anyone heard anything from Tufts or UIC recently?
I heard back from Tufts and UIC last week! I applied to the Health Policy programs at both, submitted ~1/15 and I was waitlisted at Tufts on Wednesday and accepted at UIC on Friday.
 
I heard back from Tufts and UIC last week! I applied to the Health Policy programs at both, submitted ~1/15 and I was waitlisted at Tufts on Wednesday and accepted at UIC on Friday.


Congrats! Could you tell me about the interview process at UIC? They didn't tell me much in the email today! I applied for the HPA program there and it's my second choice if I don't get accepted to Columbia
 
Has anyone applied to Georgetown's Master of Science in Global Health program or Columbia's Accelerated MPH program? Anyone heard anything back from either of these?

This waiting game sure is not fun...

I got my Columbia accelerated MPH in HPM on the 12th.
 
I have zero faith in anything but a "thank you, no" from Harvard, but I wish they'd just say it already. I'm a little put off by Tufts, if I'm being honest. I understand they had three admit rounds. I know I made it through 1 and 2 because I wasn't rejected. So, round three was 10 days ago and people have been accepted, rejected, and waitlisted since (none for epi that I've seen, though). I get that I was strong enough to not be a straight up no, but too weak to be an auto admit. That's cool, I'm down with that. But if the admin office told me 15 days ago I'd know by last week, why don't I know?! If they found someone prettier, I'll be okay! I just want to know so I can move on and weigh my options and make my decisions!
 
Is anyone headed to the university of Washington this week? I'm kind of regretting booking my trip because I feel like I've already made my mind up about columbia and I'm missing the first columbia visit for this. I can't go to the next visit day either...
 
  • Like
Reactions: KPZ
I have zero faith in anything but a "thank you, no" from Harvard, but I wish they'd just say it already. I'm a little put off by Tufts, if I'm being honest. I understand they had three admit rounds. I know I made it through 1 and 2 because I wasn't rejected. So, round three was 10 days ago and people have been accepted, rejected, and waitlisted since (none for epi that I've seen, though). I get that I was strong enough to not be a straight up no, but too weak to be an auto admit. That's cool, I'm down with that. But if the admin office told me 15 days ago I'd know by last week, why don't I know?! If they found someone prettier, I'll be okay! I just want to know so I can move on and weigh my options and make my decisions!

I'm in the same boat, I have yet to hear from Tufts and keep being told I'll "hear any day now"...
 
Is anyone headed to the university of Washington this week? I'm kind of regretting booking my trip because I feel like I've already made my mind up about columbia and I'm missing the first columbia visit for this. I can't go to the next visit day either...
Why are you leaning towards Columbia?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the price tag. My impression is that it is really hard to get anyone to pay you any attention and that it might be really difficult to get research opportunities and help with outstanding practicum opportunities.

But it IS Columbia, so....
 
Just received an email from the student services manager at UNC for the MPH-RD (nutrition) program at Gillings....WAITLISTED. They adhere to a policy of not disclosing waitlist rank.
They are requesting that admitted students make their decisions sooner rather than later but they may not be able to offer a final decision until April 15th.
patience is a virtue...:yeahright:
 
Why are you leaning towards Columbia?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the price tag. My impression is that it is really hard to get anyone to pay you any attention and that it might be really difficult to get research opportunities and help with outstanding practicum opportunities.

But it IS Columbia, so....

My feelings too! Granted while I was interning over the summer the vast majority of grad students at where I was located went to Columbia. So though they may have alot of students, they def have a huge bank of practicum/intern positions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why are you leaning towards Columbia?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the price tag. My impression is that it is really hard to get anyone to pay you any attention and that it might be really difficult to get research opportunities and help with outstanding practicum opportunities.

But it IS Columbia, so....
Right, it is Columbia. I'm also from New York State (granted, upstate, 6 hours away) and most of my family is in the NY-New England area. It would be hard for me to go any further--I'm not sure if I'd be willing to relocate for that long. This is my main reason. I also really appreciate all of the research they're doing there--many projects I'm interested in.
 
I have zero faith in anything but a "thank you, no" from Harvard, but I wish they'd just say it already.
Oh darn. I guess that Harvard has decided to withhold my rejection for today. Maybe tomorrow, on National Pancake Day, I will be notified while I'm eating my free pancakes (to soften the blow).

You guys need to chill.

I learned a very long time ago not to waste energy on things you can't control.

You're not rejected until you have a letter saying that is the case. So until then, you are still in the running
 
Last edited:
Undergrad School: Ramapo College (courses taken post-grad at Rutgers University)
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Major/Minor: BA Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable): ---
GRE (Q-158(71%), V-153(58%), W-4)
Experience/Research:

-RA in college (perception lab - poster&conference) (cognition lab - poster&conference)
-RA at UMDNJ studying resources available to college students with mental health issues
-RA at Rutgers University infant neuroscience lab studying sleep, auditory perception, fMRI, EEG/ERP and cABR
-Independent studies related to sleep


Applied: Johns Hopkins (ScM biostats), BU (MPH biostats), George Washington (MPH biostats), Drexel (MPH), Rutgers (MPH biostats), Penn State (MPH), CUNY (MPH)
Accepted: (In order of acceptance) GWU, Drexel, BU, Rutgers (by mail), CUNY, Penn State
Rejected:
Waitlisted:


Finally posting my info! Still waiting on JH, although I am not getting my hopes up as they have the #1 program.

Trying to narrow down decisions. Hopefully visiting some of the schools and talking with professors will help. CUNY wanted a decision a week ago, so they're out.

Has anyone received any information from Penn State? I'm trying to figure out when they have accepted students days for graduate students. As of now I am deciding between BU, Drexel and Penn State.
 
FYI from Columbia:
While we anticipated being able to provide students with their award letter prior to this Friday’s admitted students day, we have not yet gone live for 15/16. Our central office is currently upgrading our financial aid program software in order to give us the go ahead to go live. Once we are live, hopefully within the next couple of days, we will begin packaging students and notify them via email.