MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A grad school coordinator suggested that to me once to get an idea of where alum end up. I always thought it was a bit creepy so I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done that :p

I just edited my Linkedin profile after reading your comments.:joyful:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how to turn down the offer by Drexel ? Do I need to send them an email?

Heavily considering it and will probably attend. The Michigan alumni network is large and strong; people their truly love going to Michigan and you can feel that sense of community, literally every presentation and email seems to end in Go Blue! The facilities are top notch, no where else I visited even comes close (UNT, USF, Columbia.) I like the curriculum, I'm taking a heavy dose of biostats as an epi student, three biostats classes, which will qualify me for lots of biostats jobs and make me more marketable. Lastly, I think I will really like Ann Arbor, its a decent-sized city but I should be able to get out and go hiking and do other outdoors things I enjoy.
Yasss! I think if I remember you and I are in the same boat where Michigan is our #1 but also our most expensive choice, blerg. What are you planning to do for the financial part?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yasss! I think if I remember you and I are in the same boat where Michigan is our #1 but also our most expensive choice, blerg. What are you planning to do for the financial part?

I hope to partially fund it through teaching positions but that will be somewhat difficult due to them not having undergraduate public health courses. Worst comes to worse, I plan on pursuing PSLF. I plan on making my decision tomorrow!

Thought I might just put this out there. Don't be afraid to ask for additional grants from your school of choice, especially if others are offering you more (even if their tuition is higher). I got offered an additional $12,000 in grants by doing this.

Reactions: 12 users
I hope to partially fund it through teaching positions but that will be somewhat difficult due to them not having undergraduate public health courses. Worst comes to worse, I plan on pursuing PSLF. I plan on making my decision tomorrow!
if we've both accepted on friday i'll have to add you on facebook!

Thought I might just put this out there. Don't be afraid to ask for additional grants from your school of choice, especially if others are offering you more (even if their tuition is higher). I got offered an additional $12,000 in grants by doing this.
Would this be sending an email to admissions? Or financial aid? How would you go about asking for more aid, just curious. Smart act, and thanks for sharing.

Would this be sending an email to admissions? Or financial aid? How would you go about asking for more aid, just curious. Smart act, and thanks for sharing.

I sent it to admissions. I told them they were my top choice and asked them if they could offer additional grants that would be more competitive compared to what other schools are giving me. If they could, I'd withdraw my other applications and matriculate at their school. I guess they forwarded my email to someone in financial aid after that.

Reactions: 4 users
I need a little advice. I got into Texas A & M and I also got into Washington University Brown School of Social Sciences. Both MPH in Biostats/Epi. If you were me, where would you go?

Yes! I did. Unfortunately Harvard's Visit Day felt more like a student networking event and less of a "get to know your faculty" day (the faculty within my department introduced themselves and then immediately left.) So it's quite hard to compare. :\ Harvard definitely felt less warm, but again, not sure if that was just for Visit Day or a real depiction of the department.

Also, it's a new program (65-credit program) so there are not really any current students to speak with who have the same experience as we will. If anyone has any opinions on the new Harvard 65 program, feel free to chime in!

I might be biased because I am attending HSPH, but I've spoken to some current students in the 45-credit program (via Skype) and they are super friendly and helpful. They also mentioned that faculty are more than happy to meet and talk with you if you reach out to them via email. Some of them are also helping students with their job search. How was Columbia's Visit Day in comparison to HSPH? I was debating between the two schools as well (they were my top 2 choices) but the funding from HSPH was the final deciding factor for me.

I have deferred my program for School wide MPH yesterday for next fall. But today, I got to know that an international non profit is ready to sponsor my half expenses for JHU, but only this fall:confused:
Is this possible for me to attend this fall? Will JHU allow me to attend this fall after granting me the deferral?:boom:

I have deferred my program for School wide MPH yesterday for next fall. But today, I got to know that an international non profit is ready to sponsor my half expenses for JHU, but only this fall:confused:
Is this possible for me to attend this fall? Will JHU allow me to attend this fall after granting me the deferral?:boom:

You should definitely email/call and ask! Some places even allow you to make the decision to go after declining their offer. You should contact them asap though. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I did. Unfortunately Harvard's Visit Day felt more like a student networking event and less of a "get to know your faculty" day (the faculty within my department introduced themselves and then immediately left.) So it's quite hard to compare. :\ Harvard definitely felt less warm, but again, not sure if that was just for Visit Day or a real depiction of the department.

Also, it's a new program (65-credit program) so there are not really any current students to speak with who have the same experience as we will. If anyone has any opinions on the new Harvard 65 program, feel free to chime in!

I'm a little surprised you found Harvard to be not warm. I was actually surprised by how friendly, down to earth, and funny the faculty I talked to on admitted students' day were. I was worried that Harvard would be much stuffier, but I also found the students to be very nice and down to earth as well. I suppose it might depend a bit on the particular department though.

I'm also not sure it's 100% fair to call the MPH-65 a new program. My understanding is that it's basically a renaming/rebranding of their current two year SM2 programs because they heard feedback from students that the MPH was a much more preferable and recognizable degree than the SM2. It does seem it will be a bit more practice focused in the future compared to the more research focused SM2, and they are piloting a new core curriculum, so there are definitely changes. But, I don't think it's completely new, and the SM2 students can still give us a decent idea of what to expect.

Of course, I am probably biased as I really enjoyed the HSPH visit day and I already put down my deposit there.

Of course I cannot speak for you, but I know that I am the type of person who has to be in an environment I can truly enjoy. If not, it will reflect on my performance in class and at work. Closely examine which school you felt more comfortable and happy at.

Is that where you're planning to go? I'm currently trying to decide between UMD and GW. I only have two more days to make a decision. :confused:

I haven't made a decision yet either....those are the two I am also deciding between! Which are you leaning more towards?

I haven't made a decision yet either....those are the two I am also deciding between! Which are you leaning more towards?
I don't know! It changes by the minute. I applied to the health policy programs at both schools, but I'm also interested in epi. I like the campus feel of UMD and I think it being a smaller program could be a plus for me. GW did a good job at the preview day, but I'm not entirely sure that they can offer me something that UMD can't. What are you thinking? Feel free to message me if you'd rather talk there.

I'm a little surprised you found Harvard to be not warm. I was actually surprised by how friendly, down to earth, and funny the faculty I talked to on admitted students' day were. I was worried that Harvard would be much stuffier, but I also found the students to be very nice and down to earth as well. I suppose it might depend a bit on the particular department though.

I'm also not sure it's 100% fair to call the MPH-65 a new program. My understanding is that it's basically a renaming/rebranding of their current two year SM2 programs because they heard feedback from students that the MPH was a much more preferable and recognizable degree than the SM2. It does seem it will be a bit more practice focused in the future compared to the more research focused SM2, and they are piloting a new core curriculum, so there are definitely changes. But, I don't think it's completely new, and the SM2 students can still give us a decent idea of what to expect.

Of course, I am probably biased as I really enjoyed the HSPH visit day and I already put down my deposit there.

Yeah, the students were wonderful at both schools! I'm definitely not comparing students; loved my interactions with students at both. At Harvard, though, the faculty for the GH department introduced themselves and them left. I unfortunately never had the chance to speak with them. Students also suggested we reach out to secondary faculty in the department because primary faculty are much less responsive, and one student told me many of his peers wish there were more mentoring from faculty. Of course, everyone is going to have a different experience so I don't want to base it solely off of a few students' perspectives. However, at Columbia's Visit Day, faculty from PopFam had a "happy hour" at one of their own homes at the end of the day, and it just felt much much warmer to me personally. With that said, though, I don't want to solely base my decision off of my interactions of Visit Day. So I suppose that's where I'm struggling.

Last edited:
I might be biased because I am attending HSPH, but I've spoken to some current students in the 45-credit program (via Skype) and they are super friendly and helpful. They also mentioned that faculty are more than happy to meet and talk with you if you reach out to them via email. Some of them are also helping students with their job search. How was Columbia's Visit Day in comparison to HSPH? I was debating between the two schools as well (they were my top 2 choices) but the funding from HSPH was the final deciding factor for me.
Wow, congrats on that funding! I'd probably go there if I got a full ride, too! :)

I connected with faculty much more seamlessly at Columbia, as I mentioned earlier they even hosted a small get together at one of the faculty's homes after the event. So I was able to have some great conversations with faculty and current students. Harvard students were awesome, too; (I'm not speaking about coldness of students.) I just regret that Harvard didn't give us the opportunity (at least in the GH dept) to really interact with faculty...it makes it hard to compare apples to oranges.

Before attending Columbia's admitted students day, I was leaning hard towards Emory and their Global Health department. However, I ended up having a wonderful time at Columbia and I am now at loss as to how I will make this decision. I met with a faculty member (Stephen Morse) at Columbia who studies emerging infectious diseases and we really hit it off. He actually invited me to work with him on his projects and said he was interested in mentoring me for my thesis. If any of you are interested in emerging infectious diseases and bio defense, look him up. You will enjoy reading his bio. He has worked for the Dept. of Defense (DARPA) and now is the director for USAIDS' PREDICT project. The potential relationship that I would be able to build with him is a huge draw to Columbia for me. I also am very attracted to the 6-month practicum that is required for global health certificate students.

My dilemma: this was my first time in NYC and I was completely overwhelmed. I am from a small-town in the Midwest and I'm not sure how well I would transition into life in NYC. I hate that this is even a factor for me, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to meet a good support system and I won't be happy.

Is anyone else having difficulties making a decision due to geographical location, etc.? I would appreciate any insight.

Good luck to everyone who is still deciding between schools and congrats to those who have already decided!

Last edited:

Oh sorry I wanted to add, although it isn't a "new program" in that sense, it is in the sense that the curriculum is being taken from the 45-curriculum, which currently is for students who are MD&RN students. Whereas our experiences coming in as 65-students will be more similar to SM2 students. The new curriculum is more similar to 45-credit rather than SM2, so it's hard to know how it will play out for us. I'm probably overthinking all of this! But the 65 curriculum seems to be more for those wanting to manage and consult NGOs.

Of course I cannot speak for you, but I know that I am the type of person who has to be in an environment I can truly enjoy. If not, it will reflect on my performance in class and at work. Closely examine which school you felt more comfortable and happy at.
You're 100% right. Gotta go with that gut instinct. Thnx:)

Before attending Columbia's admitted students day, I was leaning hard towards Emory and their Global Health department. However, I ended up having a wonderful time at Columbia and I am now at loss as to how I will make this decision. I met with a faculty member (Stephen Morse) at Columbia who studies emerging infectious diseases and we really hit it off. He actually invited me to work with him on his projects and said he was interested in mentoring me for my thesis. If any of you are interested in emerging infectious diseases and bio defense, look him up. You will enjoy reading his bio. He has worked for the Dept. of Defense (DARPA) and now is the director for USAIDS' PREDICT project. The potential relationship that I would be able to build with him is a huge draw to Columbia for me. I also am very attracted to the 6-month practicum that is required for global health certificate students.

My dilemma: this was my first time in NYC and I was completely overwhelmed. I am from a small-town in the Midwest and I'm not sure how well I would transition into life in NYC. I hate that this is even a factor for me, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to meet a good support system and I won't be happy.

Is anyone else having difficulties making a decision due to geographical location, etc.? I would appreciate any insight.

Good luck to everyone who is still deciding between schools and congrats to those who have already decided!
I grew up in NYC, moved to the south, and am now going back up and I can still relate to your situation. It was quite a shock to be back even though I spent half of my life up there. It's a tough transition for anyone, in my opinion, but all of us get acclimated. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Would love to connect if you decide on attending Columbia

I was debating between staying in Boston, where I've experienced immense support from the faculty and administration at BU and Tufts vs. going to NYC. Even though I know I'd love staying here, I ultimately felt like I'd benefit a lot from a change in academic and geographic environment. The whole mentality of NYC is that you're basically on your own, but I think you'll realize that a lot of students will be in a similar place as you (myself included TBH) and you'll find your niche of classmates/friends who'll grow to be your support system. I think it's fantastic that you already have an "in" with a professor who seems enthusiastic to work with you. I've heard that reaching out to faculty and making those connections can be the hardest part at a place like Columbia, but you're already one step ahead of many students and once you've developed those connections, I wouldn't doubt that your faculty mentors will advocate for you.

I tell myself that if worse comes to worse and I end up hating it, it's just 2 years of my life, and I can always move back home after I'm done. 2 years goes by really quickly. Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

Can anyone give me some more insight on NYU? Living in NYC seems like a great opportunity to have connections to many organizations and resources but it's the program itself that worries me. I was accepted into their brand new public health policy and management program, and when I attended their Admitted Students Day yesterday, there seemed to be a lack of information regarding where graduates end up working. It seems like most either work for the New York City (or State) Department of Health or global health organizations. I'm more interested in working for a domestic consulting firm, government organization, or NGO but there is no graduate employment data for NYU I can find anywhere on their website. It also worries me that they're only a program of public health rather than a school.

Long story short, did anyone else attend the Admitted Students Day or is anyone considering NYU for their MPH? Do you mind sharing your thoughts?

I'm deciding between BU and NYU but I feel as if I'm leaning more towards BU just because of my hesitations with certain aspects of NYU's new program.

We're both in the same situation! I'm torn between NYU and BU. Did you decide yet?

We're both in the same situation! I'm torn between NYU and BU. Did you decide yet?
My decision isn't at 100% yet, but I'm trying to decide by tonight, and I think it's going to be BU. My hesitations and what I've heard about NYU's new reputation makes me wary and I don't want to accumulate thousands of dollars of debt to ultimately have no positive job outcome. I think the idea of NYC attracts me more to NYU than the program itself, but Boston is a great city with a great program. It just sucks because I feel as if generally NYU's name is recognized better, but in the field of public health, BU is a better name. Sucks too cuz NYU just sent me another email today saying they're giving me even more scholarship than before :/

Have you decided yet?

My decision isn't at 100% yet, but I'm trying to decide by tonight, and I think it's going to be BU. My hesitations and what I've heard about NYU's new reputation makes me wary and I don't want to accumulate thousands of dollars of debt to ultimately have no positive job outcome. I think the idea of NYC attracts me more to NYU than the program itself, but Boston is a great city with a great program. It just sucks because I feel as if generally NYU's name is recognized better, but in the field of public health, BU is a better name. Sucks too cuz NYU just sent me another email today saying they're giving me even more scholarship than before :/

Have you decided yet?

Not yet I will probably make my decision at 11:59 on Friday lol. After attending the Admitted student day at BU, I was so sure that I had my mind made up. I spoke to couple of students and they had great placements for thier practicum. Most of them genuinely spoke well of the program. On the other hand, I also got an email today from NYU that they doubled my scholarship offer. So now I'm even more confused:(

I paid my deposit and I'm excited to say I will be attending the University of Michigan as a Global Health Epidemiology Student. Go Blue!

Reactions: 4 users
Not yet I will probably make my decision at 11:59 on Friday lol. After attending the Admitted student day at BU, I was so sure that I had my mind made up. I spoke to couple of students and they had great placements for thier practicum. Most of them genuinely spoke well of the program. On the other hand, I also got an email today from NYU that they doubled my scholarship offer. So now I'm even more confused:(
Omg you're literally my admittance twin hahaha the email from NYU about the double scholarship offer is what's preventing me from submitting it for BU too, but everyone tells me it's not about the cost, it's about where you can see yourself succeeding. Good luck! I think tomorrow's going to be the day I submit my deposit because I'm far too tired now to decide.

Wow, congrats on that funding! I'd probably go there if I got a full ride, too! :)

I connected with faculty much more seamlessly at Columbia, as I mentioned earlier they even hosted a small get together at one of the faculty's homes after the event. So I was able to have some great conversations with faculty and current students. Harvard students were awesome, too; (I'm not speaking about coldness of students.) I just regret that Harvard didn't give us the opportunity (at least in the GH dept) to really interact with faculty...it makes it hard to compare apples to oranges.

Thank you :) That's really nice - yes, I'll admit that from the email correspondence I've had, Columbia's faculty seems very warm. Wish I had a chance to attend Admitted Students' Day, but I could not. However, I only applied to schools I could picture myself attending (based on location, faculty, alumni, etc.) except for one (which I shan't name, but it's not HSPH or Columbia), so that's already been factored into my decision I guess. Good luck! :)

Omg you're literally my admittance twin hahaha the email from NYU about the double scholarship offer is what's preventing me from submitting it for BU too, but everyone tells me it's not about the cost, it's about where you can see yourself succeeding. Good luck! I think tomorrow's going to be the day I submit my deposit because I'm far too tired now to decide.
Lol Yes we are!!! Good luck to you as well. I will let you know my decision.

Who else is joining me at Brown(Providence) this fall?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just curious to ask...
Can we accept the offer for two or more universities and then later defer.
Can i accept intent to enroll form for two universities.

I am confused between Texas A&M and Oregon and Drexel and LSU and Claremont and NYU.
defering FIU.

i am confused which one to accept.

Please advice can i accept the intent to enroll form now and defer later??

Please anyone reply..
i am new to this forum..
Just curious to ask...

I am confused between Texas A&M and Oregon and Drexel and LSU and Claremont and NYU.
defering FIU.

Just submitted my deposit to BU!!! This graduate school admissions process has been the most stressful process of my entire life, and I am so glad it's over! Good luck to all my fellow procrastinators who are cutting it close to the April 15th deadline!

If you committed to BU as well, please feel free to message me or reply to this thread :) I would love to (virtually) meet some of you before we get to campus

Reactions: 6 users
Please anyone reply..
i am new to this forum..

Welcome.

Since you are new, allow me to direct you to the search function, where you can look up the answer to your question. It has been asked and answered on this forum at least once this year, as well as a few times in the past. If you don't know how to use the search function, there are instructions located in the sticky threads at the top of this forum. I wish you luck in your search.

i searched...there is nothing like that asked previously.

i want to ask..please clarify my doubt..i have got acceptance from 7 Universities.
they want me to accept the offer...can i accept two for now and defer one later??

anyone who know well..please answer my question
Welcome.

Since you are new, allow me to direct you to the search function, where you can look up the answer to your question. It has been asked and answered on this forum at least once this year, as well as a few times in the past. If you don't know how to use the search function, there are instructions located in the sticky threads at the top of this forum. I wish you luck in your search.

i searched...there is nothing like that asked previously.

i want to ask..please clarify my doubt..i have got acceptance from 7 Universities.
they want me to accept the offer...can i accept two for now and defer one later??

anyone who know well..please answer my question
There are a few people who have asked about deferring on this thread. Again, it really depends on the policy of each school. I don't believe anyone here will be able to answer that unless they know the policy for each school you are considering. Have you tried asking the school directly?

Last edited:
There are a few people who have asked about deferring on this thread. Again, it really depends on the policy of each school. I don't believe anyone here will be able to answer that unless they know the policy for each school you are considering. Have you tried asking the school directly?

Upon doing a search, I just realized this question was asked and answered in this very thread! And asked by the same person! But, yes, I agree that contacting the schools is best. Perhaps even some visits will help narrow the list down to one.

Just curious to ask...

defering FIU.

I would ask the program. Each program has a different policy, I believe. I do know many schools have non-binding decisions. So you can accept your seat and later cancel it. But you should just ask so that you don't get stuck in a decision that you later find isn't the right one for you.

Just submitted my deposit to BU!!! This graduate school admissions process has been the most stressful process of my entire life, and I am so glad it's over! Good luck to all my fellow procrastinators who are cutting it close to the April 15th deadline!

If you committed to BU as well, please feel free to message me or reply to this thread :) I would love to (virtually) meet some of you before we get to campus
Hey heyyyy. See you there. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just declined GW with $20k... Hopefully that opens up scholarships for others!!!

Hey guys I have a random question. When declining an admissions offer, do we have to individually decline the financial aid offer as well?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers.

One more question..

I s it ok to accept the offer and deposit and cancel later.
dont want to go inside the policies and all...i think i will only loss the deposit money.

Hey guys I have a random question. When declining an admissions offer, do we have to individually decline the financial aid offer as well?
Just the decision! No need to mess with fin aid for schools you aren't attending

Thanks for the answers.

One more question..

I s it ok to accept the offer and deposit and cancel later.
dont want to go inside the policies and all...i think i will only loss the deposit money.
I mean this to help you, not to be rude, but you should really be doing your own research on these kinds of things. You likely will save a lot of money by doing some research on your schools such that you won't have to deposit at multiple programs in the first place and will be able to come to a decision. Independent research is a necessity and I highly encourage it

where my fellow wolverines at? message me and let's connect!

It's been a long journey, but I've finally submitted my deposit to Columbia!!!:soexcited: I'm super nervous but super excited at the same time! Thanks to all you forum folks for the advice and support over the past several months. It definitely would've been a more stressful process if I didn't have a regular avenue to vent lol. I hope to see some of you on campus in the fall! If any of you also attending Mailman would like to connect before class starts, feel free to send a message :D

Reactions: 7 users