This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist06

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad School: Foreign trained dentist (Bangladesh, DU)
Undergrad GPA: GPA 4
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): n/a
Experience/Research: a) 1 year internship from a dental hospital
b) 1 year assisting intern in a dental chamber
LORs: 2 professors 2 supervisors

Interested in:
health promotion, health policy and management, public health nutrition, global health,
Applied: Planning to apply for New York Medical College, NYU CGPH, Florida International University, University of West Virginia.
Accepted: n/a
Rejected: n/a
Waitlisted: n/a
Decision:
n/a

I only want to apply to schools of public health that are 1) CEPH-certified and 2) does not require standardized test scores.
I have completed my GCE O'Levels and A'Levels from an international school and my certificates have been issued from the University of Cambridge.
Moreover, my language of instruction for BDS was English.

I have mailed to various institutions seeking information about standardized test waivers. But only the four of them mentioned above considered my case.
Most universities of USA don't accept standardized test waivers.
Even though I have a high GPA, experience in health care and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution (as evaluted by WES), GRE waivers were not granted.
This is so sad :(
I used to think Cambridge International Examinations are recognised by universities of USA, but that's only for bachelors. Graduate programs usually don't pay any attention to your high school education :(

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad School: Foreign trained dentist (Bangladesh, DU)
Undergrad GPA: GPA 4
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): n/a
Experience/Research: a) 1 year internship from a dental hospital
b) 1 year assisting intern in a dental chamber
LORs: 2 professors 2 supervisors

Interested in:
health promotion, health policy and management, public health nutrition, global health,
Applied: Planning to apply for New York Medical College, NYU CGPH, Florida International University, University of West Virginia.
Accepted: n/a
Rejected: n/a
Waitlisted: n/a
Decision:
n/a

I only want to apply to schools of public health that are 1) CEPH-certified and 2) does not require standardized test scores.
I have completed my GCE O'Levels and A'Levels from an international school and my certificates have been issued from the University of Cambridge.
Moreover, my language of instruction for BDS was English.

I have mailed to various institutions seeking information about standardized test waivers. But only the four of them mentioned above considered my case.
Most universities of USA don't accept standardized test waivers.
Even though I have a high GPA, experience in health care and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution (as evaluted by WES), GRE waivers were not granted.
This is so sad :(
I used to think Cambridge International Examinations are recognised by universities of USA, but that's only for bachelors. Graduate programs usually don't pay any attention to your high school education :(

1. If I may ask, why aren't you willing to take the GRE? Most of these schools take all aspects of your education and experience (i.e. GPA, resume, LORs, Personal statement etc). The logic behind requiring the GRE is that it "accurately" shows how you measure up against candidates from anywhere in the world, since grad schools have no way of knowing how rigorous your education was. It took me about a month of dedicated preparing to get ready for it: I used a Kaplan/Princeton Review textbook, and resources on the internet. I did well on the verbal, terrible on the math and average on the writing assessment, and got into three really good schools (and wait-listed at a fourth). My advice is, just take it. You're more competitive when you fulfil all of the requirements.

2. I suggest you post your stats/query to the MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected! thread, or at least look through it, and the threads from past years, as they have a lot of information that might be helpful for you.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2017-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1217648/
I think most people have moved on from the stage you are now (perhaps that's why you are posting separately?), but you may get some more responses.

Wishing you all the best.

1. If I may ask, why aren't you willing to take the GRE? Most of these schools take all aspects of your education and experience (i.e. GPA, resume, LORs, Personal statement etc). The logic behind requiring the GRE is that it "accurately" shows how you measure up against candidates from anywhere in the world, since grad schools have no way of knowing how rigorous your education was. It took me about a month of dedicated preparing to get ready for it: I used a Kaplan/Princeton Review textbook, and resources on the internet. I did well on the verbal, terrible on the math and average on the writing assessment, and got into three really good schools (and wait-listed at a fourth). My advice is, just take it. You're more competitive when you fulfil all of the requirements.

2. I suggest you post your stats/query to the MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected! thread, or at least look through it, and the threads from past years, as they have a lot of information that might be helpful for you.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2017-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1217648/
I think most people have moved on from the stage you are now (perhaps that's why you are posting separately?), but you may get some more responses.

Wishing you all the best.

1) I have started applying to the institutions for the fall session a bit late. My preparation for GRE wasn't good and it costs around 20k in my country to sit for this exam. I really have to be well-prepared before I sit for this exam. That's why I was looking for schools which offer GRE waivers :(

2) I agree with you. I posted on that thread once but at that time my transcripts were under WES evaluation. I couldn't provide any scores and everyone adviced me to sit for the GRE exam. I know I should sit for it. I guess I need some courage and confidence :(

Thank you for the response.