MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@BlaseBlase have you already submitted your applications?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad School: Loyola University Maryland (Graduated May 2012)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Overall: 3.64/Math Economics: 3.65/Biochemistry: 3.57
Major/Minor: Double Major - Math Economics & Biochemistry
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: 152V/152Q/4W (taken January 2012), Re-taking 10/29/2016
Experience/Research:

- Currently working at a health policy consulting firm (staffed on two health insurance exchanges as operations consultant, claims data analyst for state medicaid redesign project) - 2.5 years
- Telemetry CNA and Patient Transporter at large hospital in Maryland - 1.5 years
- Assistant Disability Program Manager for U.S. Air Force (worked with Pentagon to represent disabled civilian employees and active duty personnel) - 1 year
- Volunteered at HIV/AIDS foster care facility in college - 4 years
- Volunteered at 3 separate hospitals in Baltimore area - 2 years total
- Started, and was president of, my school's chapter of Hillel - 4 years
- Research:
1) Organic synthesis (study abroad in India through Harvard) - 2 months
2) Organometallic chemistry (undergrad credit) - 5 months
3) Oral infectious disease (post-undergrad, UMD Dental School) - 7 months
4) Economic modeling (post-undergrad, NIST internship) - 2 months

5 letters - 1 from undergrad chemistry prof., 1 from undergrad economics prof, 3 from current supervisors/project managers (on various projects I've worked on).

Really concerned about my GRE score - my work schedule is insane sometimes, but I just explained in my app that I didn't think it was representative of my abilities, because I work with SAS data every day. I think my SOP and letters are/will be solid. Hopkins is my top choice cause I have several colleagues who got their MPH from there. What do you guys think?

Interested in: Health Policy & Management
Applied (Submitted SOPHAS 10/04/2016): Johns Hopkins MPH, Yale MPH, Emory MPH, George Washington MPH, Vanderbilt MPH, Columbia MPH, UCLA MPH, Michigan MPH

EDIT: Decided not to apply to Berkeley when I found out the school may be slashing their PH budget.

EDIT: Adding Hopkins Sc.M Biostatisics & LSE International Health Policy (Health Economics)

Accepted: TBD
Rejected: TBD
Waitlisted: TBD

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Loyola University Maryland (Graduated May 2012)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Overall: 3.64/Math Economics: 3.65/Biochemistry: 3.57
Major/Minor: Double Major - Math Economics & Biochemistry
GRE: 152V/152Q/4W (taken January 2012), Re-taking 10/29/2016
Experience/Research:

- Currently working at a health policy consulting firm (staffed on two health insurance exchanges as operations consultant, claims data analyst for state medicaid redesign project) - 2.5 years
- Telemetry CNA and Patient Transporter at large hospital in Maryland - 1.5 years
- Assistant Disability Program Manager for U.S. Air Force (worked with Pentagon to represent disabled civilian employees and active duty personnel) - 1 year
- Volunteered at HIV/AIDS foster care facility in college - 4 years
- Volunteered at 3 separate hospitals in Baltimore area - 2 years total
- Started, and was president of, my school's chapter of Hillel - 4 years
- Research:
1) Organic synthesis (study abroad in India through Harvard) - 2 months
2) Organometallic chemistry (undergrad credit) - 5 months
3) Oral infectious disease (post-undergrad, UMD Dental School) - 7 months
4) Economic modeling (post-undergrad, NIST internship) - 2 months

5 letters - 1 from undergrad chemistry prof., 1 from undergrad economics prof, 3 from current supervisors/project managers (on various projects I've worked on).

Really concerned about my GRE score - my work schedule is insane sometimes, but I just explained in my app that I didn't think it was representative of my abilities, because I work with SAS data every day. I think my SOP and letters are/will be solid. Hopkins is my top choice cause I have several colleagues who got their MPH from there. What do you guys think?

Interested in: Health Policy & Management
Applied (Submitted SOPHAS 10/04/2016): Johns Hopkins MPH, Yale MPH, Emory MPH, George Washington MPH, Vanderbilt MPH, Columbia MPH, UCLA MPH, Michigan MPH

I don't think you need to explain your GRE scores in your app; they are fine. Generally, you want to explain if you got lower than 150 or below a 3.0 GPA, but this doesn't apply to you so you're fine. If you're really concerned/feel like you could do much better, you can always retake.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AH I submitted my application today! Just need those LORs to come in so SOPHAS can start verifying.

Terrified despite reading my application countless times there's a typo somewhere :p

I spoke to someone at SOPHAS today, who told me they'll start verifying your app without the whole >=2 letter requirement.

I spoke to someone at SOPHAS today, who told me they'll start verifying your app without the whole >=2 letter requirement.

Really? Because their website says,

"1. All official transcripts are posted to your SOPHAS application, EACH with a date received in your “Program Status” tab.

2. At least two of your references are listed as “completed” with a date completed in your status menu under “Evaluations.”

3. Your payment is marked as received under “Program Status.”

4. You have received e-mail confirmation that you submitted the application.

5. Your application Program Status menu reads as “Materials Received > Verifying” "

Just wondering if their website is outdated and if you can provide it, more detail about not needing the 2 LORs.

Really? Because their website says,

"1. All official transcripts are posted to your SOPHAS application, EACH with a date received in your “Program Status” tab.

2. At least two of your references are listed as “completed” with a date completed in your status menu under “Evaluations.”

3. Your payment is marked as received under “Program Status.”

4. You have received e-mail confirmation that you submitted the application.

5. Your application Program Status menu reads as “Materials Received > Verifying” "

Just wondering if their website is outdated and if you can provide it, more detail about not needing the 2 LORs.

I noticed this as well. Perhaps the person I spoke to didn't realize that there was a discrepancy between what he was telling me and the website (even though I pointed it out to him), or he didn't have enough coffee yesterday morning :bored:

I don't think you need to explain your GRE scores in your app; they are fine. Generally, you want to explain if you got lower than 150 or below a 3.0 GPA, but this doesn't apply to you so you're fine. If you're really concerned/feel like you could do much better, you can always retake.

Thanks! I think I'm going to just throw my hat in the ring and see what comes of it. Will post in the WAMC thread as well to get some additional feedback if possible.

Thanks! I guess I also was thinking about undergraduate institution prestige. Do you think it matters for admission and merit scholarships?
Not at all!

Thanks! I guess I also was thinking about undergraduate institution prestige. Do you think it matters for admission and merit scholarships?
Just to add on to what amm13d said, I actually spoke with a Columbia admissions staff person during a SOPHAS virtual fair and I was told scoring in the 80th percentile or higher makes you most competitive for merit-based scholarships in addition to GPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Overall: 3.4
Major/Minor: International Studies. Minor: Women and Gender Studies
GRE: 151V 153Q 3.0W Taken Sept. 2016
Experience/Research:

Studied abroad in India. Did a program specific to public health that concluded with a 1 month 40+ page research project. I researched barriers to healthcare for disabled children.

Worked closely with an Indigenous population in the Philippines. (I used to live in the Philippines so I have visited this community multiple times)

Currently spending a year working in a non-profit serving as a social worker to an undeserved population.

Interested in: Global Health
Applied: *Dates are days that school notified that app was complete and verified UIC (11/23), GW (11/28), Pitt (11/29), U of Colorado (11/30), U of S Florida (12/6) Hawai'i (12/13)
Accepted: Pitt (12/16) USF (12/21) UIC (2/15) Hawai'i (2/18) Colorado (CSU) (2/21)
Rejected: GWU (12/13)

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Overall: 3.4
Major/Minor: International Studies. Minor: Women and Gender Studies
GRE: 151V 153Q 3.0W Taken Sept. 2016
Experience/Research:

Studied abroad in India. Did a program specific to public health that concluded with a 1 month 40+ page research project. I researched barriers to healthcare for disabled children.

Worked closely with an Indigenous population in the Philippines. (I used to live in the Philippines so I have visited this community multiple times)

Currently spending a year working in a non-profit serving as a social worker to an undeserved population. (Not what I expected to be doing with my gap year but trying to find ways to relate it to public health)

-A bit nervous because I don't have a ton of specific public health experience but I had to work my way through college and couldn't afford to take unpaid internships in the summer.

Interested in: Global Health
Applied: (Hoping to submit early Nov... just got to work on my PS) U of Colorado, U of S Florida, U of Illinois Chicago, Pitt, GW, U of Hawai'i Manoa. (I realize some/ all? of these schools are a reach considering my GRE and GPA but I decided that I am only applying to schools that I am really interested in.

Your GREs aren't that bad, and your GPA is roughly within the median for all of those schools. You have a solid shot at all, but UF (slight reach).

Hi guys,

I noticed that columbia asks questions about my work experiences, like "What types of professional licenses do you hold?" / "How many years of full-time health-related or public health-related work experience will you have, not including summer and volunteer positions, by the time of your anticipated enrollment at the Mailman School of Public Health?" under the Program Material section. I am just wondering if these are required to answer. Does it matter if I don't have any full time working experiences?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I noticed that columbia asks questions about my work experiences, like "What types of professional licenses do you hold?" / "How many years of full-time health-related or public health-related work experience will you have, not including summer and volunteer positions, by the time of your anticipated enrollment at the Mailman School of Public Health?" under the Program Material section. I am just wondering if these are required to answer. Does it matter if I don't have any full time working experiences?

Thanks!!
For some specific programs or degrees at Columbia, full time work experience in health is required. Mostly, work experience is not required, but will greatly strengthen your application. So, it won't work against you if you're not in a program that directly states that experience is required, but it can help.

Undergrad School: small, ranked private liberal arts college in Illinois
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.96, SOPHAS 3.97
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 159Q, 161V, 4.0W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-9 months volunteering for a recreational program for disabled adults
-10 weeks paid undergraduate researcher for Environmental Chemistry Department
-10 weeks paid supplemental instructor for Biology Department
-12 week credited internship with the Environmental Health division of my local Health Department, including independent research on West Nile Virus
Special factors???
-certified nursing assistant
-first generation college student
-non-traditional college student
Interested in: Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Health
Applied: All for Industrial Hygiene - UIC (11/11), U of Iowa (11/18), U of Minnesota (11/18), U of Michigan (11/25); for EHS - Yale (12/24), Emory (1/1)
Accepted: U of Minnesota + $ (12/5), U of Iowa + $ (12/6), U of Michigan + $ (1/13), Emory + $ (1/31), UIC + $ (2/2)
Rejected: Yale (2/24)
Waitlisted: None
Enrolled: Michigan!!!!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of South Florida
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.78/ 3.82
Major: Public Health
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken): N/A (haven’t taken it yet)
Honors College Student/ Wrote an Honors thesis regarding mental health of refugees
Tutoring refugee children
President of a Public health/ International studies campus organization for over a year.
Presented research on mapping mental health resources in the Bay area.
Spent two weeks volunteering in Pisac, Peru
One month study aboard in London

Interested in: Columbia: Population & Family Health, U Washington: GH- Leadership, Policy, and Management, USF: Global Health Practice, NYU: Community & International Health, George Washington: Global Health Policy
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you guys think I am aiming too high? I only applied to USF for Undergrad and I was planning on doing the same for grad. But I don’t want to have any regrets about not trying. My top choice is Columbia. However, I don't have work experience in the Public Health field.

I just started studying for the GRE and I am really worried that I won’t do well on it. I am taking it for the first time in early November and the application deadline for 3 of those universities is December 1st. I already know that my qualitative score isn’t going to be good. Any recommendations/advice about GRE prep would be must appreciated. .

Last edited:
Honors College Student/ Wrote an Honors thesis regarding mental health of refugees
President of a Public health/ International studies campus organization for over a year.

Interested in: Columbia: Population & Family Health, U Washington: GH- Leadership, Policy, and Management, USF: Global Health Practice, NYU: Community & International Health, George Washington: Global Health Policy
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you guys think I am aiming too high? I only applied to USF for Undergrad and I was planning on doing the same for grad. But I don’t want to have any regrets about not trying. My topic choice is Columbia. However, I don't have work experience in the Public Health field.

I just started studying for the GRE and I am really worried that I won’t do well on it. I am taking it for the first time in early November and the application deadline for 3 of those universities is December 1st. I already know that my qualitative score isn’t going to be good. Any recommendations/advice about GRE prep would be must appreciated. .

In regards to GRE prep, I hope this is helpful:

I used study books to get down a basic understanding of the topics they'd test me on. That was helpful, because I'd forgotten a lot of the math stuff. Then I just started doing tons of practice exams, to practice what I had learned. There are lots of free resources online and I got a lot of different books from my library. Kaplan and Princeton also have online exams you can take. They'll be proctored, which is nice. Vocab was a big issue for me, so I downloaded a Magoosh app for GRE vocab. I got in the habit of doing one new vocab deck everyday while reviewing the ones I had already gone through.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you guys think I am aiming too high? I only applied to USF for Undergrad and I was planning on doing the same for grad. But I don’t want to have any regrets about not trying. My topic choice is Columbia. However, I don't have work experience in the Public Health field.

No, your GPA is well above the median for all public health programs bar Harvard (probably still is around median). So long as you get above 50th percentile per section you have a shot at any school.

Hi!

For those of you who have submitted the application, I just e-submit mine. My transcript and 2 LOR are in. But SOPHAS still shows me the status of "awaiting materials". Does it take a while to get in to the line for verification??

Thanks!!

Update: never mind!! It changed to material received and is verifying now!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Temple University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.23/3.3
Major/Minor: Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.69
Grad Studies (if applicable): (Clinical Social Work)/LCSW; (Master in Social Work)/MSW)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Not taken yet.
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 10 years in the social services arena, which has included Behavioral Health Research, Mental Health, Healthcare, Psychological/Behavioral Assessment Administration, HIV/AIDs research and education, consultations, and psychotherapy.

Interested in: John Hopkins University, George Washington University, and UPenn
Applied: John Hopkins University (Yes) and George Washington University (Yes)
Accepted:
George Washington University, will participate in January 2017
Rejected:
John Hopkins University, UPenn
Waitlisted: N/A

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Small Private Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.77/4.0
Major/Minor: Health Science/Public Health & Biology
GRE
: 156V, 155Q, 5w
- 2.5 years > of research (Cancer Bio, Public Health, Psych, Neurobio).
- Founded health-related non-profit
- Heavy leadership (SGA senator, president of a health-related organization, etc.)
- 600 hours > Emergency Department volunteer
- 200 hours > hospital internship

Special factors???
- Rhodes Scholarship nominee

MPH Generalist at: Penn & Brown
MPH Health Policy at: Yale, JHU, Emory, NYU, Columbia, WashU

Applied: Penn, Brown, Columbia, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Emory, NYU, WashU
Accepted: Penn, Brown + 25% Scholarship, Johns Hopkins, Emory, NYU + 24k, WashU + 20k
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted: Columbia

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I went through the application process last year. I really enjoyed and benefited from the community my cohort created on last years forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2016-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1162837/). I highly recommend reading through that forum and those from previous years, you will find an endless amount of tips and information!

I would like to volunteer to answer questions, share my experiences, and do anything else to help this years cohort with the applications process. Please feel free to reach out via this thread or personal message! I wish you all the best of luck!

To provide you with a reference for admissions, I'll post my information from last years thread.

Undergrad School: State school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.39 / 3.68
Major/Minor: Health Sciences / minors in Biology and Public Health
GRE or Other Test (if applicable): 156 V/ 154 Q/ 4.5 AW
  • Currently working as a research assistant at Indiana University School of Medicine in pediatric global health research. All of the projects I work on are studying pediatric HIV/AIDS in Kenya.
  • Internship as a clinical research assistant in the cardiovascular genetics department at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN.
  • Completed a funded senior thesis on college students' behavior and perceptions related to infectious disease threats. Presented this at an undergraduate research symposium and am currently seeking publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Volunteered in Kenya with an international medical relief organization.
  • Grant review panel member for the inter-department grant program at my undergraduate institution.
  • Served as the treasurer for a global health philanthropy organization at my undergraduate institution.
  • Assisted a faculty member with his research on reproductive health in India. Presented research at an undergraduate research symposium on menstrual misconceptions among female adolescents in rural India.
  • Student intern (volunteer) at a level 1 trauma center. I shadowed physicians and also assisted in triage when the ED was extremely busy.
Applied (All MPH unless noted): Indiana University (Epi), Columbia University (Epi/GH), Emory University (GLEPI), University of Pittsburgh (Epi/GH), Boston University (Epi/GH), Tulane University (MSPH* in Tropical Medicine)
Accepted: Indiana University (Epi), Columbia University (Epi/GH), Emory University (GH), University of Pittsburgh (Epi/GH), Boston University (Epi/GH), Tulane (MSPH* in Tropical Medicine)
Rejected: Emory University (Epi)
Waitlisted: n/a
Attending: Emory University (MPH in Global Health & Infectious Diseases)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In regards to GRE prep, I hope this is helpful:

I used study books to get down a basic understanding of the topics they'd test me on. That was helpful, because I'd forgotten a lot of the math stuff. Then I just started doing tons of practice exams, to practice what I had learned. There are lots of free resources online and I got a lot of different books from my library. Kaplan and Princeton also have online exams you can take. They'll be proctored, which is nice. Vocab was a big issue for me, so I downloaded a Magoosh app for GRE vocab. I got in the habit of doing one new vocab deck everyday while reviewing the ones I had already gone through.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice. My weakness is the math so I am going to really focus on that.

Undergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.8/4.0
Major/Minor: Sociology
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160/167/6
-4 years volunteer in trauma center
-one invited lecture for presentation of thesis
-currently on a research fellowship from a clinical center in global health for one year
-working abroad at world health organization for half a year
-one poster

Interested in: global health
Applied: (haven't yet) NYU, Harvard SM Global Health, maybe some PH PhDs?
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

If anyone has suggestions for global health or my profile, please let me know

Undergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.8/4.0
Major/Minor: Sociology
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160/167/6
-4 years volunteer in trauma center
-one invited lecture for presentation of thesis
-currently on a research fellowship from a clinical center in global health for one year
-working abroad at world health organization for half a year
-one poster

Interested in: global health
Applied: (haven't yet) NYU, Harvard SM Global Health, maybe some PH PhDs?
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

If anyone has suggestions for global health or my profile, please let me know

You're a solid candidate for PhD programs. More research would be better, but you absolutely have a shot with those stats and your undergrad giving you some weight.

I am applying to only ONLINE MPH PROGRAMS. I will be abroad starting next year and with the added responsibility of my kids and husband, I can't commit to on-campus programs. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on my stats and choice of schools. If you know any safety school outside those I've listed, do let me know! Please & Thank you.

Undergrad School:
GWU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/ 2.8
Major/Minor:
Biology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 145V, 150Q, 3AW
-4 months research for analytical chemistry dept
-2 semester paid as laboratory manager for biology dept
-1 year as research assistant for 2 post-doc fellows and 1 PhD candidate at a medical school
-5 months working on FDA project
-4 months working in a biotechnology company
-2.5 years working as production manager in a start-up small scale company
Special factors???
-n/a
Interested in: ALL ARE ONLINE PROGRAMS (Global Health Policy OR Health Policy and Management) USF, Uni of Southern Cali, Des Moines, Albany SUNY, GWU, NY Medical College, Uni of Arizona, UNC, Loyola
Applied: USF, Uni of Southern Cali, Albany SUNY, GWU, Uni of Arizona
Accepted: ...none yet...still praying
Rejected: GWU
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
I am applying to only ONLINE MPH PROGRAMS. I will be abroad starting next year and with the added responsibility of my kids and husband, I can't commit to on-campus programs. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on my stats and choice of schools. If you know any safety school outside those I've listed, do let me know! Please & Thank you.

Undergrad School:
GWU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/ 2.8
Major/Minor:
Biology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 145V, 150Q, 3AW
-4 months research for analytical chemistry dept
-2 semester paid as laboratory manager for biology dept
-1 year as research assistant for 2 post-doc fellows and 1 PhD candidate at a medical school
-5 months working on FDA project
-4 months working in a biotechnology company
-2.5 years working as production manager in a start-up small scale company
Special factors???
-n/a
Interested in: ALL ARE ONLINE PROGRAMS (Global Health Policy OR Health Policy and Management) USF, Uni of Southern Cali, Des Moines, Albany SUNY, GWU, NY Medical College, Uni of Arizona, UNC, Loyola
Applied: USF, Uni of Southern Cali, Albany SUNY, GWU, Uni of Arizona
Accepted: ...none yet...still praying
Rejected: GWU
Waitlisted:

That GRE Verbal score is rough :/ Best shot is probably at USF, but hopefully just through sheer luck and probability you get into at least 1.

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you guys think I am aiming too high? I only applied to USF for Undergrad and I was planning on doing the same for grad. But I don’t want to have any regrets about not trying. My top choice is Columbia. However, I don't have work experience in the Public Health field.

I was filling out the SOPHAS application for Columbia when I realized that the program I was interested in (Population & Family Health) requires 2 years of full time experience in the Public Health field. Although, I have volunteered throughout undergrad, I don't have work experience in the PH field. As I said before, Columbia is my top choice and I am now wondering if I should even bother applying there.

I was filling out the SOPHAS application for Columbia when I realized that the program I was interested in (Population & Family Health) requires 2 years of full time experience in the Public Health field. Although, I have volunteered throughout undergrad, I don't have work experience in the PH field. As I said before, Columbia is my top choice and I am now wondering if I should even bother applying there.

You can email the admissions office. I did that with schools who have a similar requirement and found they are pretty lenient.

Yeah definitely email admissions. From my experience with Columbia, they have been super responsive to questions about that stuff. I wasn't sure if my work experience qualified me for a certain certificate and one of the directors for that program offered to look over my resume and let me know what she thought.

You can email the admissions office. I did that with schools who have a similar requirement and found they are pretty lenient.

I went to prospective students night at Columbia on Friday and this question was asked! They are very lenient- as long as you have 2 years cumulativ experience (internships, volunteering and work) experience prior to beginning the program you are golden. They are open to discussing this directly with applicants so you should reach out to them to check.

As a side note, I am also applying to PopFam and Columbia is my top choice (and honestly quite a reach). Hopefully I'll see you there!

Last edited:
Just to add on to what amm13d said, I actually spoke with a Columbia admissions staff person during a SOPHAS virtual fair and I was told scoring in the 80th percentile or higher makes you most competitive for merit-based scholarships in addition to GPA.

I was just told this at a fair, so I'm glad to know that they're telling everyone! Do you (anyone else too) think that they mean general (all test takers) percentiles or just public health test takers? Cause I was being super sleuthy and found that the distribution and percentiles are different for public health on the ETS stats pdf detailing the specific intended graduate majors.

That GRE Verbal score is rough :/ Best shot is probably at USF, but hopefully just through sheer luck and probability you get into at least 1.

What can I do to better my chances? Retake the GRE I presume. Anything else? I do not have any mentor/ advisor helping through this application process. So I can use any help/ advice available on here. Please & thank you.

What can I do to better my chances? Retake the GRE I presume. Anything else? I do not have any mentor/ advisor helping through this application process. So I can use any help/ advice available on here. Please & thank you.

Public health-related work experience counts for so much in this process - if you can clearly articulate your goals in a well-written personal statement, it would go a long way and may overshadow your stats. I'd be happy to read it. I can share mine as well if that helps guide your essay.

Public health-related work experience counts for so much in this process - if you can clearly articulate your goals in a well-written personal statement, it would go a long way and may overshadow your stats. I'd be happy to read it. I can share mine as well if that helps guide your essay.
Absolutely! How do I send it to you?

You should always try anyway. In my opinion, Columbia does a very good job of looking at an applicant's overall application when making a decision.

I was just told this at a fair, so I'm glad to know that they're telling everyone! Do you (anyone else too) think that they mean general (all test takers) percentiles or just public health test takers? Cause I was being super sleuthy and found that the distribution and percentiles are different for public health on the ETS stats pdf detailing the specific intended graduate majors.
Where'd you find that pdf? I'm curious to see what the public health distribution looks like and how I stack up

Hey everyone, this might be a dumb question. I have 2 out of 3 letters of recommendation in as well as having sent my transcripts but my application is still in the "awaiting materials" stage. I was wondering if it took a couple business days to change and whether or not it mattered that I have some schools listed in my programs that I haven't completed the application for? Do I have to complete all listed school applications before SOPHAS will look into verifying my account? I haven't completed them as the deadline for these other schools are a bit later.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, this might be a dumb question. I have 2 out of 3 letters of recommendation in as well as having sent my transcripts but my application is still in the "awaiting materials" stage. I was wondering if it took a couple business days to change and whether or not it mattered that I have some schools listed in my programs that I haven't completed the application for? Do I have to complete all listed school applications before SOPHAS will look into verifying my account? I haven't completed them as the deadline for these other schools are a bit later.

Thanks!

You may have to remove those designations and then submit. They usually won't verify your app until all listed designations are complete. You can add them back later once it's verified.

You may have to remove those designations and then submit. They usually won't verify your app until all listed designations are complete. You can add them back later once it's verified.

The status for the schools that I have submitted to just changed to "verifying" so I don't think I need to complete all designations. Seems like I just had to be a bit patient. Thank you!

Is there a thread on how to get an entry level public health job? I am completely lost here. I've been in laboratory/ research positions all my life and transitioning into ph is proving difficult. Especially considering I took some time off work & school. Any advise on getting into the field would be most appreciated. I am in the DC area btw.

The status for the schools that I have submitted to just changed to "verifying" so I don't think I need to complete all designations. Seems like I just had to be a bit patient. Thank you!

Oh good! Wish it was like that when I was applying. Would have been so much easier.

Undergrad School: Univ of Virginia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Spanish, chem minor, premed
GradGPA (if applicable): P/F
Grad Studies (if applicable): Northwestern Univ Feinberg School of Medicine
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT 2005
-1 month in Guatemala working with Transgender Sex workers during medical school
-1 month in Guatemala City doing Labor and Delivery during 3rd year OB/GYN residency
-1.5 months in New Delhi at AIIMS during medical school rotation on OB/GYN
-2 years paid as laboratory tech at JHU SOM in breast cancer research with 1 publication (between undergrad and med school)
-currently OB/GYN attending at OSUMC and Medical Director of teen pregnancy clinic at Nationwide Children's Hospital

Special factors??? MD, African american, URM, 1st college graduate in family
Interested in: OSU (MPH-Program for Experienced Professionals) Faculty Tuition benefit at OSU= basically free MPH
Applied: OSU (received notification that application in review)
Accepted: OSU (11/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Does anyone have information about acceptance rates for minorities? Especially at SLU and WUSTL? Those are my top choices. Anything else about these programs would be great as well. Thanks!

I'm currently finalizing my list of schools and was wondering what schools would be a good bet for some financial aid/scholarship/other-non-loan-money?

In short, I've got a 3.35 GPA from private regional undergrad in CA, 165/164/5.5 GRE, was on student government for 3 years, and will have worked nearly 2 years at my local public health department all things included. I will have considerable financial need as I have little to no savings and am only making a few grand a year.

As I already have significant student loans, cost is a significant factor in my decision making. I'd like to know what kinds of schools are most likely to give me some help so I can target them. Any ideas or is it just a complete crap shoot and it won't make a difference if I apply to Harvard or Ohio State?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing your info! I've submitted most of my apps so now it's just a waiting game. I definitely went overboard in the number of schools I'm applying to, whoops.

Undergrad School: University of Washington
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.44
Major/Minor: Public Health/Women Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 161, Q 151, W 5.0; taken 6/4/16

(I'm interested in studying reproductive health)
- 1 year as Director of women's health org under UW student government
- 2 years Peace Corps service (Zambia 2012-2014) under community health
- 1.5 years as admin at major Seattle global health org
- 1 year contract; Currently working in Eastern Uganda as a project manager for a women's microfinance org

Special factors???

Interested in: (Preparing applications) Columbia, Harvard
Applied: KIT Amsterdam (9/14), Tulane (9/20), Emory (9/20), Yale (9/20), GWU (9/20), UNC (10/7), Johns Hopkins (10/12), University of Washington (10/19)
Accepted: Tulane (10/6), KIT Amsterdam (10/7), GWU (11/18), JHU (1/10) (Emory (2/6), Columbia (2/8), UW (2/14), UNC (2/16), Yale (2/24)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I should specifically name few professor in the SOP.. What if I can't identify any faculty member's interest that exactly matches mine? I know it definitely helps the application, but would it hurt if not mentioning the faculty name ??

Thanks a lot!