MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello every one,
I'm really greatful I came across such a forum. Searching for a masters' degree is not that easy since I'm not used to this much of choices and possibilities.
To break it down for you:
I'm a dentist (just wating for my diploma) and I got accepted for a Fulbright grant for next year, as an alternate nominee. I plan to pursue an MHA (master in health administration).
I still have to take the toefl.
As you will see, as an alternate I chose to play the "security Game" : High acceptance rate/ affordable studies and cities.

Undergrad School: Forein dental school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: N/A
Major/Minor: N/A
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): Masters in health administration
GRE (september 20th 2017) [V152; Q158; W3.5] or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Research in dental stuff with an article wating to be published.
1 year internship in hospitals.
1year and a half a medical representative in several pharmaceutical companies.
2 years in total in call centers. (Irrelevant).
1 year as the president of the campus theater club.
1 year as head of the artistic department in my school.
Special factors: Foreign/ Fulbright (maybe more don't know)

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Tulane university (MHA), Georgia State University (MSHA), George Mason Uni (MHA), VCU (MSHCM), UNC Charlotte.
Applied
(include the date of application): Not yet
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

What do you think of my selection so far.
My question is, knowing that I have only 4 choices to make, and depending on my GRE scores, what is best fit?
If anyone could help me, It would be life saving.

Hey there! I'm currently taking grad public health courses at UNC Charlotte, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the college or city!

Members don't see this ad.

This is so helpful! Thank you so much. My scores ended up being 155V and 143Q...so bad! But I am re-taking in a month. Is it possible to increase my quant score by at least 17 points in a month?
Hey! Glad you found it useful.

While I can't tell you (in absolute terms) how much you can increase your quant score by in a month's time, as it really depends on a whole host of factors (how much you prepared prior to taking this first test; how much time you're willing to spend on the lead-up to the next test; your specific quant weaknesses -- e.g. did you get questions wrong due to carelessness? Or because you weren't familiar with the concepts? Or perhaps you weren't acquainted with the format of the test? etc.)... I think you CAN definitely increase your score with the time you have.

Some tips:
- Watch (and re-watch, if possible) the Magoosh quant videos and pause the videos whenever a sample problem comes up. Attempt it first before watching the explanation. I would also pause the video whenever I was uncertain about any of the concepts, and try to digest it before moving on.
- Do the "medium" level practice question sets in Manhattan Prep Books 1 - 6. They're pretty good at mimicking the ETS questions, and the answers have detailed explanations.
- Do all the ETS practice tests if possible since those are really the closest you'll get to the actual test
- Practice "pacing" if you haven't already -- if you get stuck on a question or if you look at a question and feel like it looks too challenging, skip it and come back to it later. I most definitely am not one of those mathematically-inclined Quant whizzes who have the time to actually attempt the Quant section twice through, and so my strategy going into the test was to nail the questions that I knew I could solve upon first glance, and then return to the more challenging questions later.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I've been lurking here for a while and I think it would be good to throw out my stats just to see what y'all think

Undergrad School: UC Davis

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.9/3.3
Major/Minor: Global Disease Biology (B.S.) (emphasis in PH policy)
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):I took several public health classes for the MPH at Davis as an undergrad and received an A in all 4 of them.
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
158Q 159V 4.5AW
- currently working for a pretty large health journalism site and I manage and create a portion of the chronic disease content
- also currently working as a public health intern for a health management/ data analysis firm that does work for the state health departments, relating specifically to mental health
- published in two public health papers
- senior thesis topic was soda/sugary drink taxes and health disparities relating to them
- 6 months health policy intern at the American Heart Association
- started up a women's health club and worked as the advocacy director
- helped create 2 month long advocacy events related to sexual health and mental health destigmatization
Special factors:
- out of state student, dependent on single mother
- worked 30 hours a week between 2-3 job at a time to support myself through college
- dealt with anxiety and depression from bereavement and other factors

I think my GPA is pretty low but I have a strong upward trend and straight A's in all public health related classes
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: UC Berkeley (HSB), UCLA (Health Policy), GWU(Global Health Policy) , Colombia (Health Policy), Yale (Health Policy), UIC (HPM), SDSU (HPM)

Applied(include the date of application): getting onto that..
All programs above

Accepted: GWU Health Policy (1/16), UCLA HPM (1/29)

Rejected: Yale Health Policy (2/24), Berkeley HSB (3/7)

Waitlisted: Columbia HPM 3/13

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question: I'm really interested in exposure science/environmental health/toxicology but I have a Psychology degree from undergrad. However, I've taken my pre-med requirements so I have quite some chemistry under my belt. Would I be better off applying for environmental health or epidemiology (and specialize from there) for my masters from an admissions standpoint? Epidemiology seems like the most flexible degree but I'm wondering if I could transition to environmental health from epidemiology for a PhD if I am still as interested in it as I think I am after my masters?

Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.414/3.633
Major/Minor: Biochemistry
GRE : V 160 Q 167 AW 3.5
  • 1 year research in Scripps Research Institute
  • 3 month lab assistant in University
  • 2 month intern in Central Disease Control

Interested in: Biostatistics and health research
Applying: Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Berkeley, UCLA,(all MPH Health Policy track)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Columbia and Cornell are my dream school, does any think these two might be a reach for me?

Last edited:
Question: I'm really interested in exposure science/environmental health/toxicology but I have a Psychology degree from undergrad. However, I've taken my pre-med requirements so I have quite some chemistry under my belt. Would I be better off applying for environmental health or epidemiology (and specialize from there) for my masters from an admissions standpoint? Epidemiology seems like the most flexible degree but I'm wondering if I could transition to environmental health from epidemiology for a PhD if I am still as interested in it as I think I am after my masters?

One large aspect for admissions to epidemiology programs are not necessarily the pre-med chemistry course but more math based with an emphasis on stats! However as far as I can tell you can enter any program with any type of major. Admissions committees are more looking at your dedication and interest to the field. I would focus more on the related work experiences or volunteering. Something that you can say "look, my major, was not in this field but I did this and that and that's how I know I want to do this". As far as actual environment health I would just recommend google searching the type of jobs or careers!

Anyone have any feedback on Columbia's programs? I've heard mixed reviews about opportunities, size of the program, and individual attention. Any info would be appreciated!

Hi, I'm a current first year at Columbia in the Epi department with a currently undecided certificate. We are a larger program, roughly 400 students for the entire cohort. But we are split into 4 different smaller cohorts of ~100 each for the first semester, called The Core. The Core is a mix of all the different departments as we're all taking the same courses on everything that you can think of that relates to public health. Starting second semester, we'll be taking classes based on our own department and certificate of interest.

There are many opportunities available here, but it all depends on how much effort you put in to grab them. I don't think that there are any public health grad schools that will simply just dump opportunities in your lap. Professors and advisors are very easy to contact - if they can't schedule you in for one week, they'll give you their times for next week. In the Epi department, I noticed that my advisor only advises me and another student. At most, they'll advise up to 3-4 students. In other departments, you'll get a 2nd-year buddy as well! Honestly, in my opinion, everything is available as long as you put in the commitment and effort. I hope this helps!

Hi, I'm a current first year at Columbia in the Epi department with a currently undecided certificate. We are a larger program, roughly 400 students for the entire cohort. But we are split into 4 different smaller cohorts of ~100 each for the first semester, called The Core. The Core is a mix of all the different departments as we're all taking the same courses on everything that you can think of that relates to public health. Starting second semester, we'll be taking classes based on our own department and certificate of interest.

There are many opportunities available here, but it all depends on how much effort you put in to grab them. I don't think that there are any public health grad schools that will simply just dump opportunities in your lap. Professors and advisors are very easy to contact - if they can't schedule you in for one week, they'll give you their times for next week. In the Epi department, I noticed that my advisor only advises me and another student. At most, they'll advise up to 3-4 students. In other departments, you'll get a 2nd-year buddy as well! Honestly, in my opinion, everything is available as long as you put in the commitment and effort. I hope this helps!

Yes, thank you so much! I'm originally from Manhattan so if Columbia is a reflection of the city as a whole (every is there, you just need initiative - and some grit - to get what you want) I'd probably be pretty happy there. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a malignant program for the most part.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? Columbia is one of my top choices.
How much elective room do you get? I also want to take some public health history and I know they have a strong program.

Undergrad School: Tulane
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.421/ 3.583
Major/Minor: Public Health; History
GRE (including date taken): Q: 153 (51%) V: 161 (88%) W:4.0
-Executive board of university's sexual violence organization- providing and working shifts on the rape crisis hotline, educational facilitations and education (3 years)--continuing
-Interned at NOCAC- New Orleans Child Advocacy Center (1.5 years)
-Internship with an organization that tries to mitigate poverty in New Orleans (Summer 2017)
-Work as a shelter advocate at a women's shelter for domestic violence (6 months)--continuing
-Currently in training to be a Medical Advocate for sexual assault victims--continuing
Special factors:
Interested in applying to dual degree programs in MPH and MSW

Interested in: WashU, Tulane, BU, Columbia, Penn, NYU, UMich
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Small, health-specialized state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.92/ 3.88 (high distinction)
Major/Minor: Health Sciences conferred May 2016
GRE (including date taken): Sept 16th, 2017: 162V, 158Q, 4.5W
-3 years as an undergraduate teaching assistant for math and science classes (Intro Stats, A&P1, Genetics, 3 semesters Intro Bio)
-Multiple research projects at undergraduate university (biochemistry educational 3D modeling and molecular biology)
-2 years elected to student government, heading our 2 largest community fundraisers
-1.5 years OXFAM local chapter student connections/event chair
-Collaborated on a short-term project with an epidemiologist at Olmsted County Public Health who is writing me a letter
-SURF and school-year internship at Mayo Clinic in virology & gene therapy department (presented at national conference; 1 manuscript in work)
-2 years post-baccalaureate research at Mayo Clinic in liver cancer research at time of matriculation (multiple conferences and presentations; 2 manuscripts in work)
-2 years volunteering in cancer ward at Mayo, 1.5 years Boys and Girls Club

Special factors:
Graduated undergrad in 3 years (unfortunately it looks like 4 on my transcript since I did a year of college during high school at my same undergrad university-- I did put this in the "Other Information" box under Additional Experiences in SOPHAS)

Applying to Epidemiology or Global Health programs

Applied: Emory (10/12), GW (10/12), NYU(10/12), Vanderbilt(10/12), Columbia(10/12), BU(10/12), Yale(10/12), Harvard(10/12), Johns Hopkins(10/12), Berkeley(10/12), UMN (10/16), UMich (10/16), Brown (11/13)
Accepted: GW (11/2), UMich (11/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: GWU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.53 / 3.80
Major: Biology
GRE: No GRE, MCAT Score of 517 (95th percentile)
Experience/Research
1 Semester TA for Undergrad Bio Lab
1.5 Years Tutoring
1 Summer Biology Research Lab
1 Year as a Research Intern for a Medical Clinic, leading to a published abstract and poster presentation
Other Info: Had terrible GPA first few semesters of college but improved later, earning between a 3.9-4.0 every semester the last 2 years of college. Did not have time to take GRE before applications but already had solid MCAT scores so I only applied to programs that accepted MCAT in lieu of GRE.

Applied to: Boston, Drexel, Temple, Yale, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Rutgers
All for Environmental/Occupational MPH programs
Submitted apps in mid September hoping for some early decisions from schools with rolling admissions.
Accepted: Mt Sinai (for Spring II) and Temple (Fall)

Has anyone else tried applying to MPH programs with only MCAT scores? I was worried about having a very medically oriented application at first but I addressed my reasoning for a change of career path and my reasons for wanting an MPH in my essays. I have already been accepted into the Mt Sinai program, which seems more inclined to accept MCAT score from applicants, but I am really hoping for Columbia or Yale.
How quickly did you get these acceptances?

Undergrad School: Oklahoma State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.34/ 3.4
Major/Minor: Management Information Systems
GRE (including date taken): December, 2016: 156V, 152Q, 4.5W (Retaking it Nov 15th)
I only recently (like in March) decided I wanted to study public health so I really don't have any public health experience :(

-Volunteer at local hospital for 3 summers (and currently)
-Volunteer at OKMom (Annual event that provides free dental care to those who can't afford it)
-Participant of a Professional Education and Training Experience program at my university (exposes you to various healthcare fields)
-Administrative intern at CAREOklahoma (non profit organization that advocates for nursing homes and long term healthcare facilities)
-Don't think this counts at all, but I've also shadowed a few doctors in town a while ago(Dermatologist, cardiologist, surgeon (ENT and ortho), ER physician)

Applying to Epidemiology programs.
Interested in: University of Washington, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Texas - Dallas, University of Oklahoma
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know my stats are really not very good and I have really no experience, plus my degree is not even close to being related. Do you guys think that these factors will hinder me getting into those schools? UWash is my top choice because I'm interested in working for an international nonprofit some day and I've heard that there are good opportunities there (plus Seattle :love:). Should I try to apply to more places?

Also for recommendations, the professors I'm considering getting recommendations from aren't health related. One was my project management professor (I could get a good recommendation from him cause he himself told me to tell him if I ever need something like that), my ASL professor, and either one of the P.E.T.E. people or my supervisor at work (library job). Would asking these people for recommendations still be okay?

How quickly did you get these acceptances?
I got all my apps in around September 10-15, then Icahn and Temple responded within around 3 weeks. Rutgers and Drexel also sent emails saying they would make a decision within 6 weeks of when they received my application from SOPHAS, so should be hearing from them soon as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.414/3.633
Major/Minor: Biochemistry
GRE : V 154 Q 165 AW 3.5
  • 1 year research in Scripps Research Institute
  • 3 month lab assistant in University
  • 2 month intern in Central Disease Control

Interested in: Biostatistics and health research
Applying: Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Berkeley, UCLA,(all MPH Health Policy track)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Columbia and Cornell are my dream school, does any think these two might be a reach for me?

I had a similar GPA and slightly higher Verbal AW GRE scores (lower Quant) and got into Columbia last year in the Health Policy and Management department (I'm at BU SPH now)

I would focus on your personal statements and recommendation letters. Maybe if you have time to take GRE again, try to get your verbal and writing scores up. Let me know if you have any questions!

Undergrad School: Oklahoma State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.34/ 3.4
Major/Minor: Management Information Systems
GRE (including date taken): December, 2016: 156V, 152Q, 4.5W (Retaking it Nov 15th)
I only recently (like in March) decided I wanted to study public health so I really don't have any public health experience :(

-Volunteer at local hospital for 3 summers (and currently)
-Volunteer at OKMom (Annual event that provides free dental care to those who can't afford it)
-Participant of a Professional Education and Training Experience program at my university (exposes you to various healthcare fields)
-Administrative intern at CAREOklahoma (non profit organization that advocates for nursing homes and long term healthcare facilities)
-Don't think this counts at all, but I've also shadowed a few doctors in town a while ago(Dermatologist, cardiologist, surgeon (ENT and ortho), ER physician)

Applying to Epidemiology programs.
Interested in: University of Washington, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Texas - Dallas, University of Oklahoma
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know my stats are really not very good and I have really no experience, plus my degree is not even close to being related. Do you guys think that these factors will hinder me getting into those schools? UWash is my top choice because I'm interested in working for an international nonprofit some day and I've heard that there are good opportunities there (plus Seattle :love:). Should I try to apply to more places?

Also for recommendations, the professors I'm considering getting recommendations from aren't health related. One was my project management professor (I could get a good recommendation from him cause he himself told me to tell him if I ever need something like that), my ASL professor, and either one of the P.E.T.E. people or my supervisor at work (library job). Would asking these people for recommendations still be okay?

In my opinion, it can't hurt to apply to more. Plus the fee for extra applications in SOPHAS is only $50-- which, for the increased likelihood of getting in, is probably worth it. Alternatively, you could apply to some now (early in the cycle) and if you're rejected then apply to others later in the cycle. However, this way you'd miss out on the scholarship deadlines for most places.

Personally, I'm a planner and I'd rather just apply to a bunch initially and (hopefully) have a few schools to choose between!

Best of luck to you. :)

I had a similar GPA and slightly higher Verbal AW GRE scores (lower Quant) and got into Columbia last year in the Health Policy and Management department (I'm at BU SPH now)

I would focus on your personal statements and recommendation letters. Maybe if you have time to take GRE again, try to get your verbal and writing scores up. Let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you so much! I will retake the GRE next Thursday and aim to have 158 V + 168Q.

Do you think I would have a higher chance to Columbia if I choose the MS program like Biostatistics?

Also whats the actual difference between applying by the priority deadline and not doing so?

In my opinion, it can't hurt to apply to more. Plus the fee for extra applications in SOPHAS is only $50-- which, for the increased likelihood of getting in, is probably worth it. Alternatively, you could apply to some now (early in the cycle) and if you're rejected then apply to others later in the cycle. However, this way you'd miss out on the scholarship deadlines for most places.

Personally, I'm a planner and I'd rather just apply to a bunch initially and (hopefully) have a few schools to choose between!

Best of luck to you. :)

Thank you! :) I was thinking that too. Do you think I should try to apply to mostly schools that are not so competitive to increase my chances of getting in somewhere? I talked to a professor who went to OU (university of OK) and she seems to think I won't have a problem getting in there, but I'm kinda scared to go there cause I really don't want to get stuck in OK later on. So now I'm just really worried about finding somewhere else where I could actually get in.

Also whats the actual difference between applying by the priority deadline and not doing so?

As far as I know, the most important difference is in scholarship and financial aid consideration. For schools with rolling admissions, it's also better to apply earlier because there are fewer spots available as other people who submit their applications early are accepted.

Thank you! :) I was thinking that too. Do you think I should try to apply to mostly schools that are not so competitive to increase my chances of getting in somewhere? I talked to a professor who went to OU (university of OK) and she seems to think I won't have a problem getting in there, but I'm kinda scared to go there cause I really don't want to get stuck in OK later on. So now I'm just really worried about finding somewhere else where I could actually get in.
I think that in this case, it would be better to only apply to places you'd actually want to go. Otherwise, what's the point? You might get in, but if you don't want to live there then you're only doing yourself a disservice & it would probably be better to just strengthen your application for the next round. But, then again, I'm a "shoot for the stars" kinda gal. :)

Is it inappropriate to ask schools about their average GRE admittances?

Hey! Glad you found it useful.

While I can't tell you (in absolute terms) how much you can increase your quant score by in a month's time, as it really depends on a whole host of factors (how much you prepared prior to taking this first test; how much time you're willing to spend on the lead-up to the next test; your specific quant weaknesses -- e.g. did you get questions wrong due to carelessness? Or because you weren't familiar with the concepts? Or perhaps you weren't acquainted with the format of the test? etc.)... I think you CAN definitely increase your score with the time you have.

Some tips:
- Watch (and re-watch, if possible) the Magoosh quant videos and pause the videos whenever a sample problem comes up. Attempt it first before watching the explanation. I would also pause the video whenever I was uncertain about any of the concepts, and try to digest it before moving on.
- Do the "medium" level practice question sets in Manhattan Prep Books 1 - 6. They're pretty good at mimicking the ETS questions, and the answers have detailed explanations.
- Do all the ETS practice tests if possible since those are really the closest you'll get to the actual test
- Practice "pacing" if you haven't already -- if you get stuck on a question or if you look at a question and feel like it looks too challenging, skip it and come back to it later. I most definitely am not one of those mathematically-inclined Quant whizzes who have the time to actually attempt the Quant section twice through, and so my strategy going into the test was to nail the questions that I knew I could solve upon first glance, and then return to the more challenging questions later.

This is helpful! Thank you!!

Does anyone know if the April 15 deadline to accept admissions offers is strict and across-the-board? My bf of several years and I are trying to combine our colleges and he’s applying to transfer to schools which usually release decisions towards the end of April/early May. I’ve heard Tulane’s date isn’t until like august, but I am wondering if any other schools do the same. (I applied to UMich, UNC, GW, Emory, Columbia, UCLA, UC Berkeley, U of Washington, and Johns Hopkins).

Does anyone know if the April 15 deadline to accept admissions offers is strict and across-the-board? My bf of several years and I are trying to combine our colleges and he’s applying to transfer to schools which usually release decisions towards the end of April/early May. I’ve heard Tulane’s date isn’t until like august, but I am wondering if any other schools do the same. (I applied to UMich, UNC, GW, Emory, Columbia, UCLA, UC Berkeley, U of Washington, and Johns Hopkins).

For many schools it is very tight because they want to be able to admit people off the wait list if they can. If you can narrow it down to 2-3 schools once you've been admitted, you can ask them directly if they'll extend the deadline for you until you can make your final choice.

The alternative is paying the deposit at multiple schools ($$$) and then being That Person that backs out last minute.

For many schools it is very tight because they want to be able to admit people off the wait list if they can. If you can narrow it down to 2-3 schools once you've been admitted, you can ask them directly if they'll extend the deadline for you until you can make your final choice.

The alternative is paying the deposit at multiple schools ($$$) and then being That Person that backs out last minute.

Thank you so much. I’ll just have to wait and see and hopefully both of us get some school notifications before April 15. I’ve seen you comment a lot on these threads over the years and everything you say is so helpful. Could you please look at my stats and tell me my chances? U Mich is my dream school.

Undergrad School: Cal State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.81/4.0
Major/Minor: B.S. in Health Science (Expected Spring 2018)
GRE: (Took on 8/17): 162 V (91st percentile), 159 Q (73rd percentile), 5.5 AWA (98th percentile).
Experience/Research:
-Part of 4 research projects involving chronic diseases/cancer/nutritional epidemiology.
-Have presented my research (first author) at 6 oral and poster presentations.
-Volunteer for a website that helps retrieve hard-to-find scientific journal articles in regards to nutrition/health.
-Have 1 publication in progress.

Special factors: Hispanic/Latino, speak 5 languages, taken several courses on epidemiology and public health, 3 strong letters of recommendation (all from professors I have done research with).

Specific concentration
: General Epidemiology (with focus on chronic disease/cancer/nutrition)

Applied: Submitted on 10/5 (verified 10/12) to UCI (MS), UCLA (MPH), UC Berkeley (MPH), University of Washington (MPH), USC (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Tulane (MPH), Emory (MPH), Johns Hopkins (MHS), University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (MSPH to PHD), George Washington (MPH), University of Michigan (MPH).

Thank you so much. I’ll just have to wait and see and hopefully both of us get some school notifications before April 15. I’ve seen you comment a lot on these threads over the years and everything you say is so helpful. Could you please look at my stats and tell me my chances? U Mich is my dream school.

Undergrad School: Cal State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.81/4.0
Major/Minor: B.S. in Health Science (Expected Spring 2018)
GRE: (Took on 8/17): 162 V (91st percentile), 159 Q (73rd percentile), 5.5 AWA (98th percentile).
Experience/Research:
-Part of 4 research projects involving chronic diseases/cancer/nutritional epidemiology.
-Have presented my research (first author) at 6 oral and poster presentations.
-Volunteer for a website that helps retrieve hard-to-find scientific journal articles in regards to nutrition/health.
-Have 1 publication in progress.

Special factors: Hispanic/Latino, speak 5 languages, taken several courses on epidemiology and public health, 3 strong letters of recommendation (all from professors I have done research with).

Specific concentration
: General Epidemiology (with focus on chronic disease/cancer/nutrition)

Applied: Submitted on 10/5 (verified 10/12) to UCI (MS), UCLA (MPH), UC Berkeley (MPH), University of Washington (MPH), USC (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Tulane (MPH), Emory (MPH), Johns Hopkins (MHS), University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (MSPH to PHD), George Washington (MPH), University of Michigan (MPH).

So, I try to refrain from chancing people because I am soooo not on expert on all public health schools ever. I did not apply to any of the schools you are (didn't even research several of them), and we have pretty different interests. That said, your GPA, GRE, and experience probably put you into the top tier of applicants at any school. I think you could potentially get into all of these schools, and I'm sure some will give you some serious scholarship money since you've already applied. I know nothing about Michigan, but I don't remember seeing too many people on the forum who they rejected last year. The only thing you could do to have any impact on your chances at this point is form a relationship with your top choice schools by doing online info sessions, going to open house events in person (if possible), and (if appropriate for the school/program) reaching out directly to professors whose work interests you. Basically, you've done what you can, so try to relax a bit since the waiting game is looooong.

So, I try to refrain from chancing people because I am soooo not on expert on all public health schools ever. I did not apply to any of the schools you are (didn't even research several of them), and we have pretty different interests. That said, your GPA, GRE, and experience probably put you into the top tier of applicants at any school. I think you could potentially get into all of these schools, and I'm sure some will give you some serious scholarship money since you've already applied. I know nothing about Michigan, but I don't remember seeing too many people on the forum who they rejected last year. The only thing you could do to have any impact on your chances at this point is form a relationship with your top choice schools by doing online info sessions, going to open house events in person (if possible), and (if appropriate for the school/program) reaching out directly to professors whose work interests you. Basically, you've done what you can, so try to relax a bit since the waiting game is looooong.
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell me my chances; I appreciate it as the waiting game is going to be a nightmare! Do you think it would be appropriate to contact professors I’m interested in even though I have already sent in my applications?

Undergrad School: Private, urban university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.68 (nonSOPHAS)/not sure, but in same ballpark
Major/Minor: Neuroscience, minors in Psych Research Methods, Biology, and Public Health
GRE: 162V, 163Q (unofficial - taken today), AWA pending
- President of large university chapter of international public health organization (1 year)
- Public health program director of organization above (1 year), planning and leading weeklong international public health service trip to Honduras
- Participated in 5 trips to Honduras with above organization, 3 public health trips and 2 medical
- President (for two years) and founding member of Neuroscience club on campus
- Vice President of Service for large, internationally recognized co-ed service frat (1 year)
- Did a TEDx talk at my university
- Community director and 3-year cast member of Vagina Monologues on campus, raising ~$6000 for three local organizations dedicated to halting sexual and physical violence against women
- Biology Supplemental Instruction leader (basically a TA)
- 2 years of research in a psychology lab focusing on the psychosocial impact of mentoring relationships on kids living on Chicago's southside (including one year as a mentor)
- 1 year of research in epidemiological study concerning pediatric chronic fatigue syndrome
- 1 year of research in an organic chemistry polymerization lab (2 publications pending)
- independent summer research project (last summer and continued through this year) and one poster presentation about the neurological implications of gold nanoparticles
- just started in a neurobio lab investigating the molecular and biochemical mechanisms behind Alzheimer's
- 150+ hours volunteering at a children's hospital
- 130+ hours volunteering at another hospital/level 1 trauma center

LORs (still in process of asking with one of them):
- supervisor at children's hospital, PI of southside psychology lab, and epi/health research professor (should I ask for more than three?)

Interested in: Columbia (PopFam), Yale (General 1 Year Accelerated), UC Berkeley (choosing between Maternal and Child Health and Epi--thoughts?), GWU (Maternal & Child Health), Northwestern (General 1 Year Accelerated), Johns Hopkins (PopFam)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Am I being too ambitious?? What other schools should I add? Should I just do a 2-year program instead of 1-year accelerated? Please give me some insights!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Private, urban university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.68 (nonSOPHAS)/not sure, but in same ballpark
Major/Minor: Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, minors in Psych Research Methods, Biology, and Public Health
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 162V, 163Q (unofficial - taken today), AWA pending
- President of large university chapter of international public health organization (1 year)
- Public health program director of organization above (1 year), planning and leading weeklong international public health service trip to Honduras
- Participated in 5 trips to Honduras with above organization, 3 public health trips and 2 medical
- President (for two years) and founding member of Neuroscience club on campus
- Vice President of Service for large, internationally recognized co-ed service frat (1 year)
- Did a TEDx talk at my university
- Community director and 3-year cast member of Vagina Monologues on campus, raising ~$6000 for three local organizations dedicated to halting sexual and physical violence against women
- Biology Supplemental Instruction leader (basically a TA)
- 2 years of research in a psychology lab focusing on the psychosocial impact of mentoring relationships on kids living on Chicago's southside (including one year as a mentor)
- 1 year of research in epidemiological study concerning pediatric chronic fatigue syndrome
- 1 year of research in an organic chemistry polymerization lab (2 publications pending)
- independent summer research project (last summer and continued through this year) and one poster presentation about the neurological implications of gold nanoparticles
- just started in a neurobio lab investigating the molecular and biochemical mechanisms behind Alzheimer's
- 150+ hours volunteering at a children's hospital
- 130+ hours volunteering at another hospital/level 1 trauma center

LORs (still in process of asking with one of them):
- supervisor at children's hospital, PI of southside psychology lab, and epi/health research professor (should I ask for more than three?)

Special factors:
Nothing really, except that I started off college as a musical theatre major.

I am currently considering doing a 1-year accelerated MPH and then heading off to medical school (I'm applying at the end of this year). However, I am realizing more and more than 1-year accelerated programs are usually meant for health professionals rather than someone fresh out of undergrad. Is this always the case? Should I just bite the bullet and do a full 2-year program?

The schools I have listed are all 1-year programs, so keep that in mind. Am I being too ambitious considering my lack of public health experience? I recently discovered how much I love public health (like this year), so most of my experience is general health-related rather than specifically public health.

Public health topics I'm super passionate about: Maternal and Child Health, Global Health, Reproductive Health, Epidemiology, Community Health, Statistics

Interested in: Columbia (PopFam), Yale (General 1 Year Accelerated), UC Berkeley (choosing between Maternal and Child Health and Epi--thoughts?), GWU (Maternal & Child Health), Northwestern (General 1 Year Accelerated), Johns Hopkins (PopFam)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Am I being too ambitious?? What other schools should I add? Should I just do a 2-year program instead of 1-year accelerated? Please give me some insights!

When did you graduate? I might be reading your post wrong but it sounds like you just graduated undergrad? Most of the 1 year programs you listed require either 2+ years of work experience or an advanced degree, so if you just graduated you wouldn't be accepted

When did you graduate? I might be reading your post wrong but it sounds like you just graduated undergrad? Most of the 1 year programs you listed require either 2+ years of work experience or an advanced degree, so if you just graduated you wouldn't be accepted
Graduating in June 2018! I read on a previous thread that work experience/advanced degree was negotiable? Especially for Columbia. But please let me know if I'm misinformed here! I know GWU and Northwestern are lax about the work requirement (NW says a 3.5 GPA can substitute work experience)

Also, if you have any suggestions of 2-year programs I would be a good fit for, I am 100% all-ears!! I am leaning towards just doing a 2-year--originally was hesitant as I don't wanna be too far gone from a hard science curriculum when I start med school, but I've realized more and more how much I care about public health

Last edited:
My anxiety is through the roof right now and I really need some guidance. Please read through my information and let me know if I am aiming way too high. I am looking at everyone else right now and I am super intimidated.

Undergrad School: small liberal arts university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.7
Major/Minor: Public Health (specialization population health)/Spanish
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Q: 151, V: 144, Writing: (not received yet)
  • 1 year as the Quality and Risk Management Intern for a local hospital
  • 2 years active in the university's Public Health Club
  • Received a scholarship to present research at a state public health conference
  • 3 research presentations at various conferences
  • 1 year as a Peer Health Educator for university's Wellness Center
  • Created an on-campus club empowering minorities in the health field
  • 1 summer researching Maternal and Child Health in Ecuador
  • 1 summer as a research assistant, writing literature reviews for Maternal and Child Health
Special factors: Student athlete on scholarship, diverse experiences, minority woman.

Interested in: Columbia University MPH, Boston University MPH, George Washington University MPH, University of California Berkeley MPH, NYU MPH, University of Washington MPH, Emory University MPH (All Health Policy and Management)
Applied(include the date of application): pending
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
Special factors:

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck, everyone! And here's to starting in 2018![/QUOTE]

My anxiety is through the roof right now and I really need some guidance. Please read through my information and let me know if I am aiming way too high. I am looking at everyone else right now and I am super intimidated.

GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Q: 151, V: 144, Writing: (not received yet)
  • Received a scholarship to present research at a state public health conference
  • 1 summer as a research assistant, writing literature reviews for Maternal and Child Health
Special factors: Student athlete on scholarship, diverse experiences, minority woman.

Interested in: Columbia University MPH, Boston University MPH, George Washington University MPH, University of California Berkeley MPH, NYU MPH, University of Washington MPH, Emory University MPH (All Health Policy and Management)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Special factors:

Interested in:
Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck, everyone! And here's to starting in 2018!
[/QUOTE]
Your experience is impressive but I think you should take another GRE test and base on your background, I think BU and NYU might be safety choices for you. Hope this can help you.

GradGPA

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Special factors:

Interested in:
Applied
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck, everyone! And here's to starting in 2018!
[/QUOTE]

It’s good that your major is public health, but I think your GRE scores are too low for the programs you are applying to. Maybe try to apply to UCI and Tulane, since their average stats are a little lower than other places? Since your gpa isn’t through the roof, I think that they are going to look at your GRE scores more closely. And you can’t do much to bump up your gpa at this point, so I think trying the GRE again would be a good idea. I know it sucks to have to study, pay, and take the test all over again, but it’s still early in the application process and it will be worth it once you get accepted to the schools you want. I have seen some people in past years get accepted with low GRE scores, but they had an insane amount of quality experience and a good background story and LOR to back it up. It’s totally up to you, but I think it could be worth it to try again with the GRE. Good luck!

How bad is it that I only submitted last week and I'm already starting to freak out? I am so painfully anxious & excited to hear back! Argh-- it's going to be a long few months! Glad we are all in it together! :)

Undergrad School: Miami University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.82
Major/Minor: Psychology / Neuroscience, Spanish, & Latin American Studies
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 164 V (94%tile), 159 Q (73%tile), 5.0 W (93%tile) - took 3 years ago lol
Undergrad:
  • Research assistant in 2 psychology labs concurrently (worked in one lab for full 2 years, worked in a second for 6 months before moving to the third for 1.5 years; 3 labs total)
  • Created a senior research thesis through two of these labs
  • 8 research presentations at various conferences
  • Volunteer research assistant at a hospital for a summer
Postgrad:
  • Research assistant at a university under the head of the psychiatry & brain sciences department
  • Have worked here 2 years, will be close to three by the time I (hopefully!) leave
  • Possibly one publication by the time I apply, probably not considering the timeline
Other:
  • Volunteered with an activist group pressuring local members of Congress to keep the ACA
  • Tutored Hispanic adults getting their high school diplomas
  • Resident assistant during college
LOR: 2 from the professors whose labs I worked in during my undergrad, one from my current boss (professor & head of psychiatry/brain sciences dept)

Special factors: Not really a special factor but I graduated in 3 years so my time in the research labs was a longer percentage of my time there than it looks.

Interested in: Epidemiology across the board - UMich, Boston U, Emory, UIC, Columbia, OSU
Applied(include the date of application): University of Michigan GHE (11/5), Emory (11/5), Boston University (11/5)
Accepted: University of Michigan (11/17) plus 50% scholarship (2/20), Boston (12/15), Emory (1/29)
Rejected: none
Waitlisted: none

Last edited:
I just got into Hopkins today (and Minnesota last week). Anyone have any intel on both programs? Thank you very much and good luck everyone!

I just got into Hopkins today (and Minnesota last week). Anyone have any intel on both programs? Thank you very much and good luck everyone!
Congrats! When did you submit your applications?

Congratulations! Did you apply to the MPH? I thought they do not review applications till after the holiday.

How bad is it that I only submitted last week and I'm already starting to freak out? I am so painfully anxious & excited to hear back! Argh-- it's going to be a long few months! Glad we are all in it together! :)
God I feel the SAME way!!! I just can’t imagine having to wait 4 months for some of my decisions! Like I even signed up for a winter class to make the time pass by quicker and have a distraction because sitting around all of the holidays seems miserable this year!

Congratulations! Good for you that you heard back so early. What degree did you apply for? Also, did Johns Hopkins email you?

Undergrad School: Miami University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.82
Major/Minor: Psychology / Neuroscience, Spanish, & Latin American Studies
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 164 V (94%tile), 159 Q (73%tile), 5.0 W (93%tile) - took 3 years ago lol
Undergrad:
  • Research assistant in 2 psychology labs concurrently (worked in one lab for full 2 years, worked in a second for 6 months before moving to the third for 1.5 years; 3 labs total)
  • Created a senior research thesis through two of these labs
  • 8 research presentations at various conferences
  • Volunteer research assistant at a hospital for a summer
Postgrad:
  • Research assistant at a university under the head of the psychiatry & brain sciences department
  • Have worked here 2 years, will be close to three by the time I (hopefully!) leave
  • Possibly one publication by the time I apply, probably not considering the timeline
Other:
  • Volunteered with an activist group pressuring local members of Congress to keep the ACA
  • Tutored Hispanic adults getting their high school diplomas
  • Resident assistant during college
LOR: 2 from the professors whose labs I worked in during my undergrad, one from my current boss (professor & head of psychiatry/brain sciences dept)

Special factors: Not really a special factor but I graduated in 3 years so my time in the research labs was a longer percentage of my time there than it looks.

Interested in: Epidemiology across the board - UMich, Boston U, Emory, UIC, Columbia, OSU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Whew! After that novel of a post, do y'all think I should apply to more places? Mine are based on geographical locations I like -> ranking/good program -> price tag. I'm not super interested in Johns Hopkins/Harvard. UMich is my top choice (in-state as well) and I would reallyyyy love a scholarship there. Thoughts?
Your stats seem awesome! U mich is also my top choice for general epidemiology. Good luck to you :)

God I feel the SAME way!!! I just can’t imagine having to wait 4 months for some of my decisions! Like I even signed up for a winter class to make the time pass by quicker and have a distraction because sitting around all of the holidays seems miserable this year!
Feeling 100% the same. I signed up for a marathon in March (will be my first!) to keep myself occupied!!

Feeling 100% the same. I signed up for a marathon in March (will be my first!) to keep myself occupied!!
I have 2 conferences to present at over the next 3 weeks (anyone going to The Liver Meeting (DC) or Midwest Drosophila Conference (Urbana Champaign IL) send me a message!) and then I'm getting a new kitten, which will definitely help keep me busy. Attached a pic of new kitten and current cat to distract you all!

IMG_20171019_081302_865.jpg DSC_0239.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just Got acceptance from JHU MPH program class of 2019. feeling over the moon... pumped

Reactions: 6 users
Just Got acceptance from JHU MPH program class of 2019. feeling over the moon... pumped
Congratulations! That is awesome that you heard back so early. For what concentration?