MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhh my letter writer sent me the letter after she submitted it for my "feel good file" and when I was reading through I noticed she spelled my name wrong in the middle D: (My name is spelled with an I instead of the much more common y). Anyone know if she can resubmit the letter on the application? I know I could ask her to see if she can, but if it's not possible for her to change it I almost don't want to make her feel bad. It's a strong letter otherwise :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh my letter writer sent me the letter after she submitted it for my "feel good file" and when I was reading through I noticed she spelled my name wrong in the middle D: (My name is spelled with an I instead of the much more common y). Anyone know if she can resubmit the letter on the application? I know I could ask her to see if she can, but if it's not possible for her to change it I almost don't want to make her feel bad. It's a strong letter otherwise :arghh:

Well I answered my own question and thought I'd post it here in case anyone has the same problem - the LOR writer will have to call or email SOPHAS customer service directly with your SOPHAS ID and ask them to reopen the submission. Note: I have not submitted anything on my application yet, so it might be more difficult if you have submitted something.

This is why we apply in advance right? ;)

Just got an email today saying they received my app and will be beginning the admission process "shortly". Back to waiting I guess...
I called after getting that email to confirm they had received my final letter of rec, which they had, and they then told me reviewing wouldn't start until late-November-- so don't get too excited yet!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Small liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.52, Major GPA- not sure, probably 3.0 or maybe a little less
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): February 2014 verbal - 161, quant - 158, writing - 3.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): extensive leadership and involvement in college social justice group, short-term volunteered in South Africa and Rwanda, extensive volunteer and travel experience in Palestine and Burma, lived in Middle East for 2+ years now. very little 'real' research experience though.
Special factors: extensive travel experience, 1.5 years of international work experience specific to my interests, speak Arabic, French and some Burmese (were languages on SOPHAS? now I don't remember), several web and journalistic publications, but nothing academic

Interested in community health and health disparities, specifically refugee and migrant health. Cost will be a big factor as I plan to continue working internationally and don't expect high paychecks.

Interested in: Tulane, Univ Illinois at Chicago, John Hopkins, Columbia (on the fence, maybe not), London School of Hygiene, American University of Beirut
Applied
(include the date of application): Tulane, Univ Illinois at Chicago, John Hopkins, Columbia -- all 11/02
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know I really should've retaken the GRE because of the frickin' writing score, but maybe they'll see my writing is good from my SOP? But also maybe I'm being too laid-back about it! My applications are *almost* ready to be submitted but now I'm wishing I did it earlier because I'm getting jealous of those who already have their acceptances from John Hopkins!

If there is anyone with similar interests send me a message so we can chat!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am going to be applying for MPH (most likely with an epi concentration) for the 2018/2019 school year. I am unfortunately going to be applying quite late (Mid December) because of some unforeseen circumstances. I am going to be moving to NYC and it is my dream to get into Columbia. However, I do not think I am anywhere near qualified. I am graduating with my bachelors in public health this May so I am contemplating taking a gap year to better my chances of getting accepted. I should have strong LOR's from professors and my former internship supervisor. I just want be realistic as to whether or not I am a strong/weak candidate. My GPA is far from impressive but I hope to make up for it with my GRE scores. I am extremely passionate about epi as well as working with underserved/marginalized populations and hope to convey this in my personal statement.

Undergrad School: Liberty University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.6
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE N/A Taking on Dec. 4th
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 120 hours of community service/ volunteer work at local humane society and working with special needs children.
  • 180 hours of public health internship working at the community health division of my hospital specifically with health education/community outreach program for senior citizens.
  • Co-wrote a grant for a community wide program targeting untrained caregivers.
  • Member of Eta Sigma Gamma National Health Education/Health Science honor society where I have participated in numerous community outreach programs such as health fairs, etc. along with assisting a professor with a research project on flu vaccines.

Hi all!

Current 1st year Columbia student here, just dropping in to say hi! I'm about half-way through the first semester of the CORE, and it's crazy to think that I was submitting apps just a year ago! I'm an Epi student with a certificate in Applied Biostats, and I am absolutely in love with the program here! I had such a hard time deciding between here, Hopkins, and Yale, but I could not have asked for a better academic program here at Mailman.

If anyone wants to know more info about the CORE curriculum, (which is so different than any other SPH's), Mailman in general, or anything else, let me know!

My stats are all on last year's thread as well.

Happy app season, and best of luck!

Anyone have any feedback on Columbia's programs? I've heard mixed reviews about opportunities, size of the program, and individual attention. Any info would be appreciated!

Hey there, thought I'd share my two sense. I heard mixed reviews when I applied too. I feel that Columbia is the perfect size. It's not a massive, lost-in-the-crowd type place, but it's large enough to have a ton of opportunities. There are roughly 400 MPH students in my year, and another 250ish in different programs within Mailman (PHD, executive, MS, MHA, etc.). I take all my classes with the same 100 people in my "section" every day, and then we have even smaller discussion sections where I'm with the same 20 people. It feels like a small community - professors recognize me outside of class and will say hi, and are always willing to meet, and share opportunities with you if you take the first step. The CORE is crazy busy, but essentially we take 18 classes over the first semester. Some classes only meet a few times the semester, others meet a few times a week. It really depends. But it's an organized chaos that's more integrative and interdisciplinary than any other school, and now other schools are rumored to begin modeling their year 1 semester after CU. There are some downsides to the school, such as cost of living, and tuition costs, but I've been blown away both how personalized my attention has been, and the sheer number of opportunities available to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad School: UCLA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6/3.7
Major/Minor: History/Premed
GradGPA
(if applicable):Top quartile of class
Grad Studies (if applicable): MD (2015)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): N/A
Other Test (if applicable): USMLE (did well on all 3 parts), MCAT 36S (96%) taken in 2009
Experience/Research (please, be brief): MD, surgery resident at major academic California program, 5 peer review papers with 3 more submitted
Special factors: PGY3 entering a research/academic advancement year/break in training
Applying to health policy tracks, all 1 year/accelerated

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): UCLA, Hopkins, Columbia, Harvard, USC, GW (all 10/27)
Accepted: Hopkins (12/24), GW (1/4), USC (1/18), Columbia (1/22), UCLA (1/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know this this is probably super annoying to you guys who are maybe using an MPH as a springboard into medicine, or that this is a dumb question to post, but I really don't know much about my chances given as most MD/MPHs get their MPH during med school or after finishing residency. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
GradGPA
Other Test (if applicable): USMLE (did well on all 3 parts), MCAT 36S taken in 2009
Experience/Research (please, be brief): MD, surgery resident at major academic California program, 5 peer review papers with 3 more submitted
Special factors: PGY3 entering a research/academic advancement year/break in training

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): UCLA, Hopkins, Columbia, Harvard, USC (all 10/27)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know this this is probably super annoying to you guys who are maybe using an MPH as a springboard into medicine, or that this is a dumb question to post, but I really don't know much about my chances given as most MD/MPHs get their MPH during med school or after finishing residency. Thoughts anyone?

I have a few MDs in my program. My professors will often ask "do we have any clinicians in the room?" when addressing health care practice specific questions to get their input. I definitely do not see this having any kind of negative impact on your application.

GradGPA
Other Test (if applicable): USMLE (did well on all 3 parts), MCAT 36S taken in 2009

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): UCLA, Hopkins, Columbia, Harvard, USC (all 10/27)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm curious -- MD's seem to be mostly interested in policy tracks. Is this because being in the healthcare system for number of years makes you want to change the system (rather than study something like epidemiology)?

Undergrad School: The College of William and Mary
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.12, 3.15
Major/Minor: Kinesiology and Health Sciences
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken): 160 in V and 162 in Q and 4.0 in writing (Aug 2017)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years working as a Physical Therapy Technician, two months performing wound care and teaching health in a small country in Africa
Special factors:

Interested in: GWU, GMU, UMD, BU, Tulane, Rutgers, Texas A&M
Applied
(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Currently getting ready to apply to these schools. Was on track for physical therapy until I spent time in Africa and decided to change course. Any idea on the likelihood of acceptance into any of these programs or ideas of places that may fit better? Mainly looking at Global Health or Community Health Services. Live in New Jersey but enjoyed living down south in Virginia.

Last edited:
Was just accepted to Tulane for MPH in Epidemiology. Not my first choice, but wanted to let you all know in case anyone is dying to find out! I submitted my app on 10/5, SOPHAS verified on 10/12, and it was sent to review to Tulane on 10/13. My stats are on page 1. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Was just accepted to Tulane for MPH in Epidemiology. Not my first choice, but wanted to let you all know in case anyone is dying to find out! I submitted my app on 10/5, SOPHAS verified on 10/12, and it was sent to review to Tulane on 10/13. My stats are on page 1. Good luck to everyone!

That is so exciting! Congrats!! I think you and I are on the same timeframe for most of our schools (SOPHAS verified Oct 12th) so I'm hoping to start hearing back soon-- I didn't apply to Tulane though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious -- MD's seem to be mostly interested in policy tracks. Is this because being in the healthcare system for number of years makes you want to change the system (rather than study something like epidemiology)?
I think it really depends on what specialty the MD is in and their research background. Most surgeons like myself aren't very interested in chronic or infectious disease so epidemiology doesn't appeal to us, and many across lots of specialties are fed-up with healthcare systems and management, so thats probably why we're seeing a lot of interest in Policy. Global Health is another very popular one, especially with surgeons

Hey guys!

So I’m currently an undergrad at a state research university. I have lots of experience such as volunteering, internships, teaching opportunities, etc. on my resume. My overall GPA is 3.2 but my major GPA is 3.4. My GRE scores aren’t that great. I have applied to SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY UB, Columbia, NYU (and I have taken college level courses at NYU while I’m high school). I have provided reference letters from my public health professor, my internship coordinator, and a professor I do research for. I know I didn’t provide enough information on my demographics of a student but based off what I said where do you think I might end up? Is NYU and Columbia too hard of a reach? Should I apply to more places? If it helps, my applications have been submitted since the end of September. Please let me know what you think!!

Undergrad School: Large State Research University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.71, 3.91
Major/Minor: Neuroscience and Cognitive Science
GRE (including date taken): 150 in V and 158 in Q and 4.0 in writing (Aug 2017)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years as a Research Assistant developing treatment for Post traumatic stress disorder in a department of defense funded study, Planned community fair for a blind and deaf children's foundation
Special factors: Largely involved on undergraduate campus, Neuroscience ambassador for university, Online thrift store owner, 2 publications in behavioral medical journals
Letters of Rec: Former co-manager of summer job, Principal Investigator of study I work on (large name at harvard), Academic advisor who also serves as advisor for ambassadorship

Interested in: Northwestern University, USC, Loma Linda University, University of Arizona, University of Colorado Anschutz
Applied
(include the date of application):Northwestern University (10/22), Loma Linda University(10/22), University of Arizona (10/22), University of Colorado Anschutz(10/22)
Accepted:Northwestern University (11/6)
Rejected:
Loma Linda University(11/1, was told they are no longer offering the health policy and leadership program I applied to for the upcoming year, didn't offer refunding of application fee)
Waitlisted:

I am contemplating applying to other schools, is Ivy an option? should I apply to more public universities?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Large State Research University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.71, 3.91
Major/Minor: Neuroscience and Cognitive Science
GRE (including date taken): 150 in V and 158 in Q and 4.0 in writing (Aug 2017)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years as a Research Assistant developing treatment for Post traumatic stress disorder in a department of defense funded study, Planned community fair for a blind and deaf children's foundation
Special factors: Largely involved on undergraduate campus, Neuroscience ambassador for university, Online thrift store owner, 2 publications in behavioral medical journals
Letters of Rec: Former co-manager of summer job, Principal Investigator of study I work on (large name at harvard), Academic advisor who also serves as advisor for ambassadorship

Interested in: Northwestern University, USC, Loma Linda University, University of Arizona, University of Colorado Anschutz
Applied
(include the date of application):Northwestern University (10/22), Loma Linda University(10/22), University of Arizona (10/22), University of Colorado Anschutz(10/22)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Loma Linda University(11/1, was told they are no longer offering the health policy and leadership program I applied to for the upcoming year, didn't offer refunding of application fee)
Waitlisted:

I am contemplating applying to other schools, is Ivy an option? should I apply to more public universities?
It seems like your experiences are similar to most of the people on here, so I don't see why you couldn't give Ivy schools a shot!

Also, if I were you, I'd call and request a refund of your application fee. That just seems unfair since it's their own fault they didn't remove the program.

Today I got accepted into the George Washington MPH in Epidemiology! I visited the school early last week and LOVED it! I am so happy! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Today I got accepted into the George Washington MPH in Epidemiology! I visited the school early last week and LOVED it! I am so happy! :)
Got accepted into GWU global health epi program
Just received email

Reactions: 4 users
Got accepted into GWU global health epi and infectious diseases program. Exciting times as acceptances started to roll in. Got accepted to JHU -mph program on 20 oct

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there, thought I'd share my two sense. I heard mixed reviews when I applied too. I feel that Columbia is the perfect size. It's not a massive, lost-in-the-crowd type place, but it's large enough to have a ton of opportunities. There are roughly 400 MPH students in my year, and another 250ish in different programs within Mailman (PHD, executive, MS, MHA, etc.). I take all my classes with the same 100 people in my "section" every day, and then we have even smaller discussion sections where I'm with the same 20 people. It feels like a small community - professors recognize me outside of class and will say hi, and are always willing to meet, and share opportunities with you if you take the first step. The CORE is crazy busy, but essentially we take 18 classes over the first semester. Some classes only meet a few times the semester, others meet a few times a week. It really depends. But it's an organized chaos that's more integrative and interdisciplinary than any other school, and now other schools are rumored to begin modeling their year 1 semester after CU. There are some downsides to the school, such as cost of living, and tuition costs, but I've been blown away both how personalized my attention has been, and the sheer number of opportunities available to me.

Are you in the 2 year program or the accelerated program? How accessible are the professors?

Got accepted into GWU MPH in epidemiology today. My stats are on page 1 if anyone wants to know. Good luck to everyone!

Are you in the 2 year program or the accelerated program? How accessible are the professors?
2-year program and they're very accessible. I've had no trouble reaching out to anyone I've wanted to meet with.You have to email them directly to set up office hours, but they're always happy to do so. You need to take the initiative to reach out to them, but that's pretty expected of all grad programs, not just here. I've also spoken to several during department socials, info sessions, etc. You also get assigned a faculty mentor, and you have one faculty member assigned to your 20-person bi-weekly discussion group.

2-year program and they're very accessible. I've had no trouble reaching out to anyone I've wanted to meet with.You have to email them directly to set up office hours, but they're always happy to do so. You need to take the initiative to reach out to them, but that's pretty expected of all grad programs, not just here. I've also spoken to several during department socials, info sessions, etc. You also get assigned a faculty mentor, and you have one faculty member assigned to your 20-person bi-weekly discussion group.

Thank you. This is really great information to know. Are the students collaborative or do you sense some underlying competitiveness?

does anyone have thoughts on doing an MPH pre-med school as opposed to dual degree or post-med school?

I am not interested in med school, but several people in my program are. I think it's worth noting that my school (Brown) does not offer pre-med advising or application assistance to grad students applying to med school beyond the regular resume/CV and reference letter help anyone gets for any type of application. People applying to med school are told to go through their undergraduate institutions for advising. This seemed to cause some surprise for some of my classmates, so I'm not sure it's standard practice for all MPH programs. I would ask the schools you are applying to in advance what supports they have for pre-med students if you think this is going to be a concern for you.

So I never really got feedback, but is it realistic for me to get into either DePaul or GWU or heck even Tulane with an overall 2.9 GPA and not as many experiences? I'm planning on retaking the GRE, I got 150 for both when I took it (Just checked, got V:154 and Q:152, Writing: 3.0 which was down from my first take had a 3.5 then.)
My LoR are from my boss when I worked for admissions at my university and my Political Science advisor who I took more than 2 classes with.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: small HBCU (historically black college/university)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72/3.6ish (SOPHAS calculated overall GPA as 3.61 from courses from another school)
Major/Minor: Biology/Chemistry
Grad Studies
(if applicable): N/A
GRE
(including date taken): July 2017: 148V/150Q, 4.5AWA; Sept 2017: 155V/153Q, 4.0AWA

2 summer research internships, one at a Big 10 school (idk if that would make a difference) and the other focused on environmental health
worked at a Medicaid company
interned at American Public Health Association
currently work for a global health nonprofit

Special factors:

First generation college student; black woman

Interested in: MPH Epidemiology (chronic and infectious diseases)
Applied(include the date of application): (app verified on 11/8)
Univ. of Minnesota (11/4), Univ. of Maryland (11/4), Drexel (11/14), Georgia State (11/4), Emory (11/4), GWU (11/4), Temple (11/4), Columbia (11/4), USF (11/16)
Accepted: GWU (11/17), Minnesota (12/4), Temple (12/7), Drexel (12/12)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Any feedback is welcomed.

Last edited:
So I never really got feedback, but is it realistic for me to get into either DePaul or GWU or heck even Tulane with an overall 2.9 GPA and not as many experiences? I'm planning on retaking the GRE, I got 150 for both when I took it (Just checked, got V:154 and Q:152, Writing: 3.0 which was down from my first take had a 3.5 then.)
My LoR are from my boss when I worked for admissions at my university and my Political Science advisor who I took more than 2 classes with.

I think it depends on your LORs, statement of purpose, and applicable experiences. It also depends on the program. Epi is usually harder to get into. Also, honestly you should call the office and try to schedule something with the program advisor.

Is November too late to send out applications due in December and January?

Is November too late to send out applications due in December and January?
When I applied, I sent out all of my applications from around Thanksgiving to around Christmas, and I was accepted into all of the schools I applied to. Many schools have rolling admissions; the sooner you submit your materials, the better chance you have of being accepted as there are more open seats. Keep in mind that SOPHAS takes a little while to verify after you submit your first application, too. I would try to send your first application off soon so that SOPHAS can be verified, but I would not be too worried. As long as you get your materials in before the final application deadline, you are good to go. The sooner, the better, but you have time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

What concentration are you applying for? I'm in a similar situation as far as GPA and all the admissions advisors/faculty I've spoken to have suggested that all other parts of my application (and they did focus on GRE) be pretty good or exceptional. But, it sounds like an upward trend in GPA, difficulty of coursework taken, any extenuating circumstances during UG etc all play a role when considering GPA so unfortunately it's not super simple. Nonetheless, there have definitely been other applicants in past years on SDN who have gotten into the likes of GWU (idk anything about DePaul).

What concentration are you applying for? I'm in a similar situation as far as GPA and all the admissions advisors/faculty I've spoken to have suggested that all other parts of my application (and they did focus on GRE) be pretty good or exceptional. But, it sounds like an upward trend in GPA, difficulty of coursework taken, any extenuating circumstances during UG etc all play a role when considering GPA so unfortunately it's not super simple. Nonetheless, there have definitely been other applicants in past years on SDN who have gotten into the likes of GWU (idk anything about DePaul).

I'm trying for epidemiology. My last semester shows a huge change, I got on the Dean's List that semester, but no science classes that semester. I also had 2 deaths in the family in one year so I'm hoping that can somehow explain some things. I'm also kinda worried that I don't have much experience with Public Health in the workplace, but I only recently realized that is what I want to do, not MD.

Sorry once again, I came up with a few questions maybe you guys can help out. My university has a May term, how do I go about entering that in to the transcript? It's not a summer term and the interim term has gone away from my choices.
And requesting transcripts, how do I include the transcript form for SOPHAS if it's all electronic from my university?

Last edited:
Sorry once again, I came up with a few questions maybe you guys can help out. My university has a May term, how do I go about entering that in to the transcript? It's not a summer term and the interim term has gone away from my choices.
And requesting transcripts, how do I include the transcript form for SOPHAS if it's all electronic from my university?
Not sure about your first question, but you can always contact SOPHAS directly to ask application-related questions. As for the transcript request form, I emailed mine to the registrar and explained in the body of the email that it was to be included in my transcript order. Hope this helps!

Not sure about your first question, but you can always contact SOPHAS directly to ask application-related questions. As for the transcript request form, I emailed mine to the registrar and explained in the body of the email that it was to be included in my transcript order. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I’ll call my school tomorrow if they can added it.

Undergrad School: state school in California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.85
Major/Minor: Health Science
GRE: 150 V, 151 Q, 3.5AW
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):

- 4 month health policy internship on campus (CSU)
- 2.5 years in the COPE Health Scholar program (direct patient care experience)
- 10 months in COPE Health Scholar Leadership Team (Admin Coordinator)
- Jumpstart AmeriCorps Member (working with preschool children who go to school in low-income areas)
- English Academic Tutor for over a year
- CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholar
- Health Science Honor Society Member (Eta Sigma Gamma)
- Health Outreach/Data Analysis internship with Michigan Medicine (at the University of Michigan)
- 5 months Research internship with non-profit (focusing on social determinants of health such as poverty)
- Currently an AmeriCorps Community Health Fellow (supposed to be for my gap year)

Interested in: MPH Health Policy and Management/ Health Administration (MHA)
Applying: USC, UMich, UMinn, Boston, UWash, Tulane, GWU
Interview: GWU (1/15)
Accepted: GWU + small scholarship (1/17), Boston + $15K (2/5), USC (2/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hi all! so I have a question. I want to add an experience to my resume, but I just found that I could not replace or update the document already uploaded on SOPHAS. Is it ok to include an experience in the "Experiences" section which is not listed on the resume?

Hi all! so I have a question. I want to add an experience to my resume, but I just found that I could not replace or update the document already uploaded on SOPHAS. Is it ok to include an experience in the "Experiences" section which is not listed on the resume?

Yes. This is one way schools can learn about internships/job/etc. you start between now and their admissions decisions.

Undergrad School: small HBCU (historically black college/university)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72/3.6ish
Major/Minor: Biology/Chemistry
Grad Studies
(if applicable): N/A
GRE
(including date taken): July 2017: 148V/150Q, 4.5AWA; Sept 2017: 155V/153Q, 4.0AWA

2 summer research internships, one at a Big 10 school (idk if that would make a difference) and the other focused on environmental health
worked at a Medicaid company
interned at American Public Health Association
currently work for a global health nonprofit

Special factors:

First generation college student; black woman

Interested in: MPH Epidemiology (chronic and infectious diseases) and Global Health.
Applied(include the date of application): Univ. of Minnesota (11/4), Univ. of Maryland (11/4), Drexel, Georgia State (11/4), Emory (11/4), GWU (11/4), Temple (11/4), Columbia (11/4)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Any feedback is welcomed.

I think that JHU and Tulane are also very good public health schools for global health/epidemiology, also Brown and FSU for global health. Maybe apply to more schools and see which one gives you the best offer/scholarship, that would be my advice. I think working at a global non-profit and interning at the APHA looks very good, as does very good grades in a hard science major.

Undergrad School: state school in California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.85
Major/Minor: Health Science
GRE: 150 V, 151 Q, 3.5AW
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):

- 4 month health policy internship on campus (CSU)
- 2.5 years in the COPE Health Scholar program (direct patient care experience)
- 10 months in COPE Health Scholar Leadership Team (Admin Coordinator)
- Jumpstart AmeriCorps Member (working with preschool children who go to school in low-income areas)
- English Academic Tutor for over a year
- CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholar
- Health Science Honor Society Member (Eta Sigma Gamma)
- Health Outreach/Data Analysis internship with Michigan Medicine (at the University of Michigan)
- 5 months Research internship with non-profit (focusing on social determinants of health such as poverty)
- Currently an AmeriCorps Community Health Fellow (supposed to be for my gap year)

I am a recent graduate from a state school in California with a Bachelors in Health Science, and I am interested Health Policy and Management/Health Administration.

It's obvious that my GRE scores are not the best, and I wanted to take it again before I apply to get a higher score.

Unfortunately, there are no more available GRE tests for the month of November in my area, according to the ETS website. Now, that there are no more available seats, I am forced to send in the scores I already have.

I believe my experience is great, but my even my GPA stats are pretty low. I had a 2.9 for my cumulative at one point, but I was able to raise it all the way up to a 3.4 thanks to 2 years of getting straight A's.

Interested in: MPH Health Policy and Management/ Health Administration
Applying: USC, UMich, UMinn, Boston, UWash, Loma Linda, CSUN, Tulane, Ohio State, GWU, UCLA (which I might withdraw from now)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I have good letter of recs, 2 from professors, and 2 from internships...but I'm worried that my stats would be a barrier for me to get accepted to any school. I wanted to take the GRE again, but since there are no sites available for me to take it before the application deadline, I don't know what to do anymore. I would really appreciate any advice you guys have. Thank you!

I think you'll most likely get in somewhere! I think that the AmeriCorps stuff is really solid, as are your other extracurricular activities.

Undergrad School: State school in Florida
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93/3.97 (on 4.0 scale)
Major/Minor: Psychology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 151 V (52%) 156 Q (62%) 5 W (93%)
  • volunteer for 4 months at an nonprofit organization specializing in outpatient treatment for substance abuse disorders and criminal justice in adults and youth
  • volunteer for 4 months at nonprofit children's cancer organization
  • research assistant/coordinator for almost 2 years in mental health law and policy lab (federal grant for randomized clinical trial of substance abuse treatment program research) at inpatient facilities (test administration, coordinating study participants, basic analyses, biolog data collection (electrocardiogram), qualitative data analysis and manuscript authorship)
  • research assistant for 7 months in clinical psychology psychopathy lab (mostly data entry/literature review)
  • internship for 7 months at neuropsychological clinic (administer numerous structured interviews as neurobehavioral assessment, write up reports, score tests, etc.)
  • worked 6 months in baker act form receiving facility (entered data of baker acts/psychological assessments)
  • 1 published paper, 1 paper under review (3rd author on both but both in established journals)
  • 1 poster presentation at undergraduate research colloquium on my own research proposal (topic is on self-esteem, prosociality, parental enforcement of normative gender roles)
Special factors:

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: I'm interested in policy work in South Asian populations (whether it be with immigrants in America or directly in South Asian countries) for promoting mental health care. Overall, I want to find ways to improve how mental health is viewed and discussed in this population by developing culture-specific programs, intervening on the stigma, etc.
**Global mental health, SMS or Policy/Management**
Applied(include the date of application): Columbia (MPH in SMS or Health Policy/Management, certificate in Health Communication - PLEASE help me choose on SMS or HPM I cannot decide and really need to at this point); Johns Hopkins (MHS in Mental Health, interested because they offer free certificates i.e., Health Communication, Health Policy, Health Education) that you can complete during your MHS); Northwestern (MPH in Global Health); Emory (MPH in Behavioral Sciences and Health Education); BU (MPH in Health Communication and Promotion - certificate in mental health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Any suggestions for more programs to apply to? Thanks!! Also, what do you guys think my chances are? I appreciate the help.

Undergrad School: State school in NY
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/3.36
Major/Minor: Health and Human Services (Community Mental Health) and Minor Public Health
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 148 V (39%), 145 Q (20%), 3.5 AW (42%)
  • Teaching Assistant for a universal design yoga course
  • Teaching assistant for a global perspectives seminar
  • Research assistant towards changing purchasing policies at my state school— to focus on ethical spending
  • Volunteered at 3 different hospitals; ER, Nurse education, and elderly
  • Resident Advisor (RA)
  • Intern at schools Accessibility Resources
Special factors:

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in:
Applied(include the date of application): SUNY Stony Brook (Community Health) , SUNY at Buffalo (Generalized), NYU (Epidemiology), Columbia (Epidemiology)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I’m not sure how I feel about my stats overall but I think my resume and LORs speak for themselves. The schools I’ve applied to, I’ve contacted and was told that there is holistic review. Can anyone tell me what my chances are? Or if there are any other programs I should apply to? I’d really appreciate it!

Just heard back from Northwestern, Accepted into accelerated 1 year MPH!

Undergrad School: State school in NY
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/3.36
Major/Minor:
Health and Human Services (Community Mental Health) and Minor Public Health
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 148 V (39%), 145 Q (20%), 3.5 AW (42%)
  • Teaching Assistant for a universal design yoga course
  • Teaching assistant for a global perspectives seminar
  • Research assistant towards changing purchasing policies at my state school— to focus on ethical spending
  • Volunteered at 3 different hospitals; ER, Nurse education, and elderly
  • Resident Advisor (RA)
  • Intern at schools Accessibility Resources
Special factors:

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): SUNY Stony Brook (Community Health) , SUNY at Buffalo (Generalized), NYU (Epidemiology), Columbia (Epidemiology)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I’m not sure how I feel about my stats overall but I think my resume and LORs speak for themselves. The schools I’ve applied to, I’ve contacted and was told that there is holistic review. Can anyone tell me what my chances are? Or if there are any other programs I should apply to? I’d really appreciate it!

I'm also heavily counting on my LORs, CV, and personal statement since my stats aren't "amazing." I think you have a good shot at most of these-- though Columbia is a reach, it doesn't hurt to try! Have you looked at Boston University?

Hi everyone. I have recently found an interest in Epidemiology after having spent the last few years pursuing a degree/career in Neuroscience. Naturally, I am not completely familiar with admissions standards for PH schools, so I'd like some insight on where I stand in terms of competitiveness. My qualifications are as follows:

Undergrad
: Ohio State
Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64
Major GPA: 3.94
GRE: 167 V, 157 Q, AW 4.5
  • 1.5 years clinical neuroscience research (unpaid research assistant) at Ohio State. Administered and coded self-assessment, behavioral, and psychophysiological measures to participants--healthy young adults, elderly adults, individuals with Multiple sclerosis
  • 1 year of psychosocial research (unpaid research assistant) at Children's Hospital. Coded and organized neuropsych, behavioral, and self-assessment measures from children who recovered from cancer
  • 1.5 years of data analysis of neuroimaging research studies (current full-time job) at University of Pittsburgh-- command-line interface, statistical analysis (SPSS, SPM), relevant neuroimaging software
  • Volunteer Young Life leader 3 years through college and 1 year (to current) as working professional
  • Monthly journal club discussing (occasionally presenting) relevant neuroimaging papers

Special factors:

Graduated undergrad in 3 years

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): Ohio State (11/06), Pitt (12/08) SOPHAS VERIFIED: 12/13
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
I'm also heavily counting on my LORs, CV, and personal statement since my stats aren't "amazing." I think you have a good shot at most of these-- though Columbia is a reach, it doesn't hurt to try! Have you looked at Boston University?
Thanks so much! And no, I haven’t. Is their MPH program similar to any of the schools I’ve applied to so far?

Hi everyone. I have recently found an interest in Epidemiology after having spent the last few years pursuing a degree/career in Neuroscience. Naturally, I am not completely familiar with admissions standards for PH schools, so I'd like some insight on where I stand in terms of competitiveness. My qualifications are as follows:

Undergrad
: Ohio State
Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64
Major GPA: 3.94
GRE: 167 V, 157 Q, AW 4.5
  • 1.5 years clinical neuroscience research (unpaid research assistant) at Ohio State. Administered and coded self-assessment, behavioral, and psychophysiological measures to participants--healthy young adults, elderly adults, individuals with Multiple sclerosis
  • 1 year of psychosocial research (unpaid research assistant) at Children's Hospital. Coded and organized neuropsych, behavioral, and self-assessment measures from children who recovered from cancer
  • 1.5 years of data analysis of neuroimaging research studies (current full-time job) at University of Pittsburgh-- command-line interface, statistical analysis (SPSS, SPM), relevant neuroimaging software
  • Volunteer Young Life leader 3 years through college and 1 year (to current) as working professional
  • Monthly journal club discussing (occasionally presenting) relevant neuroimaging papers

Special factors:

Graduated undergrad in 3 years

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): Ohio State (11/06), Pitt
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I have a more research-heavy background too (was planning on getting a biomedical sciences PhD), and I applied to most of the top-tier schools. I've only heard back from George Washington so far, but it was an admittance! My stats are on page 3 if you're curious.