MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of all the schools recommended though, which would you say is most holistic about the application process though? I don’t want to end up in the same mess again.
Definitely not remaining anonymous after this lol, but i would say Thomas Jefferson. I got accepted with a mediocre GPA, zilch work experience, horrible standardized test scores (with decreasing scores to boot), but amazing EC's that showed my passion towards advancing populational health. I'm now a second semester MPH student, 3.9+ GPA, descent scholarship, in a fancy as hell apartment. The only downside I would say to my program is cost of living. The one bedroom apts on campus (dorms) costs the same as my one bedroom luxury apartment. So....that's something to consider. But if you don't mind surfing on loans, Philly would be happy to have you.

Also, if you interview here, you're as good as in. I was notified the very next day. How this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So apparently they haven't even started reviewing apps yet...hahaha....oh boy...
oh my.. did you send them an email? Because I sent an email asking about it in the beginning of the month and they mentioned being in the process of reviewing applications.

Thanks! I applied for the Maternal and Child Health program. I wouldn't worry about your quant score if you really want Minnesota to be one of your choices, your still really close to the preferred and also that isn't a hard cutoff either. I applied to a different program but my quant is pretty low so I really think they look at your whole application.
Thanks, it's really helpful. I do want Minnesota to go to Minnesota. Just wondering if it’s too late to apply. But I think I will just apply and see what happens. Thanks again for your reply!
I highly recommend Thomas Jefferson's MPH masters program. It's on the East Coast in what most people percieve is the best part of Philly (Center City). Also you can do it in two years or one year, and it's CEPH certified. If you're worried about stats, don't be. This program considers your experience, servitude to helping others, and promoting public health above all. Contact and they'll be happy to help you out. Good luck!
Hey, I am accepted for the program. Are you studying there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like other people have given you good places to look for new places to apply. Another suggestion might be SUNY Albany; a colleague of mine went there and speaks very highly of it. Their deadline is March 1.

I looked at your profile and agree that your experiences and grades should have made up for your GRE scores, especially at Stony Brook and UB. I wonder if maybe reworking your SOP and/or resume might help showcase your strengths better. Have you gotten any feedback on them from advisers? I am sure that many people here would be happy to give feedback, myself included. I'm not trying to imply they weren't good, just looking for some kind of explanation as to why you've had such a negative experience. =\

I’m just as shocked as you are honestly. Like how does NYU waitlist but SUNYs flat out reject? I didn’t even post all of my resume on here for you guys, but I felt like I was more than qualified. But you guys are right, I shouldn’t use these rejections for me to find an excuse to give up on something I want. Simply just going to move on ‍♀️ Definitely applying to Thomas Jefferson because of its popularity on here. But contemplating on what else has an easier admission between all the suggestions here ^ I think I’m going to leave it at applying to 2more schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m just as shocked as you are honestly. Like how does NYU waitlist but SUNYs flat out reject? I didn’t even post all of my resume on here for you guys, but I felt like I was more than qualified. But you guys are right, I shouldn’t use these rejections for me to find an excuse to give up on something I want. Simply just going to move on ‍♀️ Definitely applying to Thomas Jefferson because of its popularity on here. But contemplating on what else has an easier admission between all the suggestions here ^ I think I’m going to leave it at applying to 2more schools.
I found University of Miami was pretty quick with their decision too. CEPH certified. And they don’t require GRE if you have advanced degree.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my concerns today. I really do appreciate the help! I just wanted to ask with stats, does it seem feasible to have a chance with Rutgers, Drexel, GWU, or GMU? I see that a lot of you are recommending out of state, so I’m looking into staying in the East coast. Please lmk! Kind of need back ups ASAP :(
I think you have a chance with GWU

I found University of Miami was pretty quick with their decision too. CEPH certified. And they don’t require GRE if you have advanced degree.
Sadly I don’t have an advanced degree, but I really do appreciate the suggestion!
I think you have a chance with GWU
What makes you say so?

Sadly I don’t have an advanced degree, but I really do appreciate the suggestion!

What makes you say so?
My own two-cents, GW has an estimated 80% acceptance rate. We have similar scores and I was accepted recently. I have not seen many people get rejected from GW on any of the past threads as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't someone say that Brown is coming out this week?

Reactions: 1 users
NYMC doesn’t require GRE scores ;) and it’s CEPH accredited!

Reactions: 2 users
That's great to hear! I've been reading the posts throughout today and it seems like you have some pretty good schools to look into. I'm sorry to hear about your rejections but don't give up! I don't want to sound cliche but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

To bad you're not looking into West coast scools because University of San Francisco doesn't require the GRE, and neither does Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) in Los Angeles. CDU was a pretty quick admission decison. My app was verified at the beginning of Decmeber and I received the acceptance on 12/8. Good luck with the rest your decisons and schools! :D

What schools do you recommend that don’t look at GREs?
I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I also got a 145 on the quant section of my GRE and am certainly not a straight A student. While I scored a higher percentage on my verbal section there are just some schools that are more focused on scores (as many have said). For example, I spoke to the admissions at Northwestern and was told I was rejected flat out because of my low quant score;however, was accepted at Emory and Tulane but denied at GWU. It is all a leap of faith and if there is anything I have learned it is to never take anything off of your list because you are not confident in your GRE. If you are dedicated to Public Health someone will see that and believe in you! Just wanted to post because I felt similar to you so just know it is possible even with imperfect test scores!

Reactions: 5 users
I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I also got a 145 on the quant section of my GRE and am certainly not a straight A student. While I scored a higher percentage on my verbal section there are just some schools that are more focused on scores (as many have said). For example, I spoke to the admissions at Northwestern and was told I was rejected flat out because of my low quant score;however, was accepted at Emory and Tulane but denied at GWU. It is all a leap of faith and if there is anything I have learned it is to never take anything off of your list because you are not confident in your GRE. If you are dedicated to Public Health someone will see that and believe in you! Just wanted to post because I felt similar to you so just know it is possible even with imperfect test scores!

I cannot agree with you more. I hate how much weight some schools put on the GRE. There are probably many successful people out there who are bad test takers (I'm one of them of course lol) and some schools would just look the other way if their scores are not up to standards. I know the GRE is used to compare applicants if they have similar experiences and transcripts/GPA and they can't accept everyone, but numbers don't demonstarte the passion and motivation of people who pursue their chosen fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, is anyone planning on going to accepted students days? Like honestly are they worth it? I know they can help determine if you like the campus and learn more about the programs but the costs of getting out to the campus living in the midwest out to the east coast can be like a $700 weekend. Is that really worth it do you think? Trying to decide whether or not to go to BU's or if I can get the same/enough info doing online research/forums. Thanks, really stuggling with the indecision here!

I would definitely consider ETSU (it’s my alma mater). Their program isn’t very difficult to get into and getting a GA position on campus is pretty easy, so that’ll help funding. It’s also a cheaper program in general. They definitely specialize in rural health because of the area, but have several different programs. If you’re really wanting to get into a program this cycle I would definitely consider it. Just let me know if you have any questions about the school or the program. Good luck! Don’t give up!

Found out 2/13 that I'm in at Hopkins MSPH in international health, health systems!

Reactions: 9 users
Hey, is anyone planning on going to accepted students days? Like honestly are they worth it? I know they can help determine if you like the campus and learn more about the programs but the costs of getting out to the campus living in the midwest out to the east coast can be like a $700 weekend. Is that really worth it do you think? Trying to decide whether or not to go to BU's or if I can get the same/enough info doing online research/forums. Thanks, really stuggling with the indecision here!

I’m definitely going to go to at least one or two, and more if I can. Some people are fine without it, obviously!

My reasoning is that when I was deciding on college, I would have never chosen my university if I hadn’t visited. Talking to the students in person was invaluable to me - I immediately had a gut reaction that that was the place.

That was me personally though, and I know other people don’t feel the same!

I’m definitely going to go to at least one or two, and more if I can. Some people are fine without it, obviously!

My reasoning is that when I was deciding on college, I would have never chosen my university if I hadn’t visited. Talking to the students in person was invaluable to me - I immediately had a gut reaction that that was the place.

I felt the same way with undergrad. My intuition during campus visits was able to really guide my decision in a way that spinning the same facts around in my head just couldn’t do.

I’m going to try to squeeze in as many visits as I can, work schedule permitting. I already bought a plane ticket for Berkeley, but a few of my other choices are on conflicting dates, so getting more financial aid info would help narrow it down.

I wasn't interested in my undergrad college before I visited and after I left I did a 180 (and decided to go there) so that visit was helpful for me too!

I'm replying to the wrong person with advice here oops but you can see if some schools offer travel grants. I'm going to count my trip to Emory as a spring break to get out of the Michigan weather :laugh:

If you can swing it financially, definitely do it. I would very strongly suggest at least visiting your top 2 choices. It doesn't have to be on the event days if they're inconvenient/expensive for you; most schools accommodate visitors anytime with advanced notice. Another thing about grad school that's different than a lot of people's undergrad experiences is the greater adulting necessary. Take a ride around the residential areas of the city to be sure it's somewhere you want to spend 2+ years, and think about where you'd want to live in relation to grocery stores, parks, restaurants, school, whatever else you care about. I loved Drexel's program, but I didn't end up going in part because I couldn't find a Philly neighborhood that would have worked for my lifestyle. I'm glad I figured that out before committing instead of during an apartment search after.

Reactions: 6 users
I've decided very last minute (in the past hour) to make a drive to Philly Friday evening (only 9 hours away:thumbdown:) this Saturday for the Public Health Preview Day at Drexel. I'll post my thoughts on here after!

Reactions: 7 users
I felt the same way with undergrad. My intuition during campus visits was able to really guide my decision in a way that spinning the same facts around in my head just couldn’t do.

I’m going to try to squeeze in as many visits as I can, work schedule permitting. I already bought a plane ticket for Berkeley, but a few of my other choices are on conflicting dates, so getting more financial aid info would help narrow it down.

I also just got my ticket/flights for Berkeley's spring visit day!! :)

Anyone heard back from Michigan about scholarships/awards/aid?

Anyone heard back from Michigan about scholarships/awards/aid?
First round has gone out for Epi (in Jan), and second round will go out in March. Financial aid will also go out in March.

What makes you say so?
I think you should consider applying to the University of Georgia. I got in last week and I have a 145 quant. I did have a 156 verbal score though, however I was rejected from GWU's program in global health program planning/evaluation. As others have said, it can be a shot in the dark. Good luck!

Anyone with a list of scholarships for international/African students? Would greatly appreciate

Did anyone hear back from UNC ? I applied for MPH-Epi close to the deadline

I work at Hopkins SOM and my PI is on the admissions committee for the master's epi program....and she said they haven't even started finalizing decisions yet :(

I work at Hopkins SOM and my PI is on the admissions committee for the master's epi program....and she said they haven't even started finalizing decisions yet :(
Argh, what a bummer. Thank you for the intel, though!

Do you think it’s worth it to take a visit to Columbia even though I haven’t heard back yet? I had my HPM interview last week so I’m hoping to hear back soon... I am planning to visit JHU in mid-March and I was thinking to take a train to NYC from there. I only have 3 days off so if I don’t visit then I won’t get a chance to. Unfortunately it will be during Columbia’s spring break but I’ll be able to walk around a bit and check out New York in general. Cost wise it will be around extra $300 for train and hotel for the night.

Anyone accepted to UNC hear about scholarships or know the timeline for this?

Just got into Stony Brook. Shocked because the admissions officer was slightly rude to me in an email exchange!

Argh, what a bummer. Thank you for the intel, though!
The weird part is that when I emailed the admissions coordinator for ScM clinical epi program, she said they would have decisions out the by the end of the month...:bang:

Last edited:
I heard back from NYMC pretty soon after applied, like a week, so hopefully you will hear back soon! Good luck

Anyone hear back from Harvard yet? Someone said decisions were supposed to start coming out yesterday...

Last edited:
Just received an email from Yale! I was accepted for Social and Behavioral sciences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 12 users
Let me know what you find out, because I was told via email that you aren’t able to access the addendum without credentials that are given once you accept the offer of admission.
Hi! You were right. You can't access the addendum until you've enrolled. As for Tulane's Gibson Online, that's where you can go and see how much aid has been given to you. I just created mine.

Anyone hear back from Harvard yet? Someone said decisions were supposed to start coming out tomorrow...
Still waiting on Harvard. Someone previously posted that decisions are usually released on Thursdays and Fridays.. so fingers crossed!

Just received an email from Yale! I was accepted for Social and Behavioral sciences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CONGRATS - I'm still waiting but I applied to SBS as well. eeek - onto refreshing my email every second. :arghh:

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I know i'm super late to this but I finally decided to post.

Undergrad School: Big 10 School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6 verified
Major/Minor: Geography BS & Health Management BAS
GRE: 155V, 149Q, 4.0W (Terrible I know, but i'm not the best test taker)
Experience/Research:
- Public Health Internship with county (9 months)
- Independent public health research in Morocco (3 months)
- Health Admin assistant for University hospital (1.5 years)
- Currently work for healthcare startup company
Special factors:
- First generation student
- Dean's list 3 semesters
- Awards for health service

Interested in: Healthcare Management, Administration and Policy
Applied: Johns Hopkins (verified 1/15), UMinnesota (verified 2/2), Icahn at Mount Sinai (verified 2/2), Emory (verified 2/2)
Interview: UMinnesota (2/23)
Accepted: Icahn at Mount Sinai (2/13), Emory (2/13)
Rejected: Johns Hopkins
Waitlisted:
-

If anyone has more information on Emory or Icahn please let me know. I'm not as familiar with them and any information would be helpful. Also if you've interviewed with UMinnesota any tips would be appreciated!!

Hi! You were right. You can't access the addendum until you've enrolled. As for Tulane's Gibson Online, that's where you can go and see how much aid has been given to you. I just created mine.
Do you see any award info in your Gibson account? Mine says "No award information at this time". Does that mean I haven't received any fin aid?

Anyone got admitted to Yale’s one year MPH program for advanced professionals??
I did! Still weighing other options, but see it as a good option - despite exorbitant costs... What department? Will you be going to the Open Houses?

I WAS ACCEPTED TO BROWN!!!!!! Is this real life!!????

Reactions: 14 users