SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by ConfusedAsUsual, Aug 15, 2017.

1. mrmeeseekslookatme

mrmeeseekslookatme

Jan 16, 2018
    I only applied to 3 schools and so far have been accepted to 2. However, because of little funding I received from Columbia I’m worried that I should have applied to more in hopes of a better financial aid package somewhere. I know some schools are still accepting applications so I’m wondering if I should apply to more schools? Or is it a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pusheen323

pusheen323

Aug 17, 2017
    I feel the same way. I applied to 12 schools and to some, I wouldn’t even want to go at all. However, the hindsight bias is strong in this situation and we can’t be blamed for fearing a process that everyone makes seem so crazy and hard! In a few years, we probably won’t even sweat how much money we spent on this because it will be worth it :)

LG0331, sploosh, skcolley and 5 others like this.
  4. Lady MacBeth

Lady MacBeth

Jan 24, 2018
    I feel the same way. Like, that UMich application was expensive and in retrospect I didn't really need to apply there. I didn't apply to as many schools as you, but still...

sploosh, skcolley, cg2018 and 3 others like this.
  5. Cassatrass

Cassatrass 2+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I feel the same way! I applied to 12 and have heard back from 9. Most of them are off the table at this point unless they come back with a fantastic last-minute scholarship. But I'm super indecisive so I'll still want to visit a lot of them, which is $$$.

I guess I thought my hard science background with limited PH/no international experience would make me a weaker candidate-- but I guess not!

6. Dmohr21

Dmohr21

Feb 20, 2017
    Same! I was terrified that I wouldn't get in anywhere so I applied to 14 programs and I've only gotten yes's so far.

pusheen323, ldlr, Cassatrass and 3 others like this.
  7. prithak

prithak 2+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hey guys. Any idea about University of Minnesota MPH? I am thinking of applying there now. Anyone recently got accepted?

8. SOL30

SOL30

Feb 7, 2018
    I am still waiting on Columbia as well!! I’m super nervous about it. I didn’t receive anything today so hopefully it’s not over for me just yet.

9. Teets4Tots

Teets4Tots

May 20, 2017
    I was accepted in December and at the moment it's probably my top choice!

prithak likes this.
  10. prithak

prithak 2+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2015
    @Teets4Tots that’s great! Congratulations. Which program did you got accepted in? I actually have emailed the program director of Epidemiology program expressing my interest in the program with CV. But in retrospect I should have just applied. They have preferred 70th percentile requirement for quant which made me hesitant as I am in 66th percentile. :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:04 PM
  11. hulihuli

hulihuli

Nov 26, 2017
    Agreed! I applied to seven and in hindsight even that feels like a lot. But I think in the end I have no regrets. For each school I applied to, I made sure to ask myself: would I really go to this place if I was accepted. Also, financial support is a big consideration for me. Because aid is kind of a crap shoot as we all know, I think it makes sense to apply to a decent number of schools just to see what they are willing to offer you. Who knows; maybe the school you weren't going to apply to is the one that offers you the most aid. And practically that could make all the difference.

12. hulihuli

hulihuli

Nov 26, 2017
    I didn't know anyone else applying this cycle so this thread has been helpful to me as moral support throughout the last few months! Here's my stats for future applicants' reference - I applied to programs in both epi and HPM. Good luck to everyone still hearing back!

Undergrad School: Respected large public university
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38 / 3.2
    Major/Minor: General Biology
    GRE: 170 V, 168 Q, 5 W
    Experience/Research:
    - 1 year working in a local health department doing both epidemiological research and program management.
    - 2 years as a surgery tech
    - 1 year (part-time) as a dental assistant
    - Lots of volunteer experience as a HIV test counselor, as a insurance enrollment counselor, in vaccine advocacy, clinical services at FQHCs, etc.

Interested in: Health policy, health economics, access to care, healthcare payment models, comparative health systems, process improvement, metrics, epidemiology, immigrant health, infectious disease.
    Applied: ALL MPH Programs: UCLA (HPM 12/1), Berkeley (Epi/Biostat 12/1), Columbia (Epi 12/1), Minnesota (PHAP 12/1), UW (Health Services 12/3), Michigan (Epi 12/5), Emory (Epi 12/8)
    Accepted: UCLA (1/25), Berkeley (2/13), Columbia+half-tuition (1/22), Minnesota+in-state tuition (12/22), UW (1/31), Michigan+half-tuition (1/15), Emory (1/29)

Mph'18, pa611, prithak and 2 others like this.
  13. MarcusAureliusAntoninus

MarcusAureliusAntoninus

Apr 22, 2017
    Congratulations on all your acceptances! I was wondering if you'd mind elaborating on what the half tuition for Columbia and Michigan actually entails? Were they merit or need based, and how long after receiving your acceptances were they given to you? I'm just trying to get a feel for perhaps how generous the schools are with aid haha.

14. kcarlson518

kcarlson518

Dec 4, 2016
    What is the addendum?! When I emailed my department about funding (as their acceptance email said to do), the person that responded to me literally said they were new and they didn't know!

15. hulihuli

hulihuli

Nov 26, 2017
    I heard of the Michigan award on 1/24 so about a week after the acceptance email. I'm not sure if it was need based or merit but the email describes it as a "scholarship package valued at 50% Tuition Only, to be applied each term"

I heard back from Columbia on 1/30 so also about a week after the admissions notification. It was a merit award; half tuition distributed piece meal over the course of the 2 years.

16. puripallavi

puripallavi

Jan 18, 2018
    Hi all,
    I am still so bummed by the rejection email from Columbia. That was my dream school. I got through Boston +20k and Emory. Should I drop a year to try again for Columbia or is Boston and/or Emory almost as good as Columbia?

17. Pudu2009

Pudu2009 Tiniest deer 2+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I think you should determine whether you want to go to Emory or BU, and go to whichever you decide. After all, you wouldn't have wasted money applying to those two schools if Columbia was the only school you would consider attending, right? Congrats on getting into 2 great schools!

18. Plainusername1

Plainusername1

Feb 4, 2018
    My program manager also said nothing about it! I just happened to come across it while scouring the website for information on funding.

SDN won't let me post links since I'm a new user :( but if you go to Tulane's financial aid forms site, you'll find a form called "2018-2019 School of Public Health Addendum (for graduate-level students only)"

ldlr likes this.
  19. puripallavi

puripallavi

Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you!! Really appreciate your advice. Hmm you are right. I have applied for Behavioural Sciences, and I am trying to search more on which school is better for this department. What do you think?

Lady MacBeth and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  20. Stora

Stora

Nov 30, 2017
    I am still waiting on Harvard and Brown, but for now I am deciding between Berkeley and LSHTM. (MPH and MSc both in Epi)
    Does anyone have any insights on these two programs? I haven't seen many people talk about LSHTM on this forum as it is a UK school.
    I am an IMG from Asia, so location doesn't matter so much. I want to pursue my PhD after graduation.

21. sploosh

sploosh

Nov 28, 2017
    I'm 100% with you.

There aren't that many good resources for applying to graduate school, especially for public health - this forum being one of the only ones. With college, you kind of know where you stand - what schools would be a reach, which ones you have a pretty good chance of getting into, and which ones are "safeties". For these applications, I had literally no idea what schools my profile would be appropriate for and was sincerely worried about not getting into a single school because I'd shot too high. I also think that admissions committees tend to be more secretive about acceptance statistics, probably because they don't want to dissuade any applicants. I don't blame them - it advantages them to get more applicants - but it did make the whole "deciding where to apply" thing very confusing.

For future applicants, once we've received all of our decisions, it might be nice to post a master list of our student profiles and what our acceptances looked like. I know that that's captured over multiple pages of this forum, but it might be better if it's all in once place.

22. ldlr

ldlr

Feb 8, 2018
    This is so helpful!! Thanks! I'm going to give them a call when they open to see how I can access it because right now it's not allowing me to.

23. sploosh

sploosh

Nov 28, 2017
    I think it depends. I'd take a look at the schools still accepting applicants and think "would I go here over my current acceptances if they gave me money"? Obviously, that depends too - sometimes there's a sweet spot of how much money a school would need to give you to be worth it. It's probably worth looking at job profiles for the types of jobs you want post-grad, looking at the starting salaries, and then back-calculating how much debt you're willing to go into for this degree. I haven't done that yet but I plan to.

JDGBruin1317 and wwmmkk like this.
  24. skcolley

skcolley

Feb 19, 2017
    Yes!! 100% onboard with this idea, it would be so helpful for future students. There was a user a few years ago who made a Google survey of students (avg GPA, GREs etc.) and also compiled decision dates, and that was such a great resource for me when I was just beginning to research applying to PH degrees. We should pay it forward!

25. wwmmkk

wwmmkk

May 21, 2016
    I really like this idea but do have some concerns about it--
    (1) People who post and would contribute to such a list are probably more competitive candidates than most MPH applicants. The list may end up dissuading rather than supporting people in applying.
    (2) It's really hard to capture the factors that MPH admissions committees look for since I think the SOP/other essays play a big role, and I am pretty sure everyone would rate their own personal statement highly. Test scores and GPA aren't really very helpful except in understanding what the very top schools are looking for, and those schools usually post that kind of information on their websites anyway.

I'd like to suggest some kind of document organized by school rather than applicant. There are always questions on this forum about what schools are strong in which concentrations, when deadlines are, which ones give more/less financial aid, which ones have better job outcomes, etc. Knowing reasons why past applicants chose to enroll at a school (or chose not to) would also have been very helpful to me last year.

And then finally, I think it'd make a difference if people stayed active on this forum during and after their program, if possible. Past applicants were enormously helpful to me last year, which is why I keep up with the forum this year and plan to continue as long as it's feasible for me. There are so few posters here that are in school and even fewer that are in the field. I think if we can commit to keeping this a truly supportive space (unlike soooooo many other parts of SDN/other forums), then maybe future applicants will lurk less and ask more questions.

26. pa611

pa611

Sep 13, 2017
    Let me know what you find out, because I was told via email that you aren’t able to access the addendum without credentials that are given once you accept the offer of admission.

ldlr likes this.
  27. vnla07

vnla07

Nov 20, 2017
    JHU is releasing decisions via portal today and tomorrow for anyone who is still waiting on it! good luck -- MHA sorry not MPH.

JDGBruin1317 and Cici A like this.
  28. skaballet

skaballet

Dec 30, 2017
    Really?!?! Thanks for sharing - fingers crossed!!!!

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  29. vnla07

vnla07

Nov 20, 2017
    yeah! i already know im going to Columbia (paid deposit and everything) but i was curious since i never heard from them so i emailed MHA admissions yday and they said everyone will begin to hear back again starting the 14th.

alexiabee2020 and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  30. drpluto0208

drpluto0208

Jan 2, 2018
    I also emailed the Academic Program Manager of Epidemiology and they said that they expected to have a decision by mid-February for MS applicants.

JDGBruin1317, sploosh and danzdona999 like this.
  31. Teets4Tots

Teets4Tots

May 20, 2017
    Thanks! I applied for the Maternal and Child Health program. I wouldn't worry about your quant score if you really want Minnesota to be one of your choices, your still really close to the preferred and also that isn't a hard cutoff either. I applied to a different program but my quant is pretty low so I really think they look at your whole application.

prithak likes this.
  32. cannedkoala

cannedkoala

Oct 5, 2017
    Hi pusheen. I'm an Angeleno now living in Maine for work. I assume Michigan is pretty close to Maine in terms of cold and snow. I don't drive here because I live walking distance from work and don't need a car, but I have some insights I can share with you. Here, people just change their tires to special snow tires, so you don't have to put chains around your tires. These tires do reduce your mpg, but better safe than sorry. The city also has many snowmobiles driving around plowing snow from the streets and sidewalks even during a snow storm, so you won't be driving in 10 inches of snow. But you have to shovel your own driveway/parking spot, and there are parking bans in winter so you have to move your car where there's no ban or just put it in a garage. Always keep something in your car to scrape snow and ice from your windshields, windows, and roof.

People still jog outside even when it's 20 degrees, but you should try to adapt slowly if you're not used to it. Last winter I mostly only went out to go to work, but this winter I walk outside at least an hour a day to get some sunlight. It's not too bad if you're prepared. Invest in good jackets, coats, base layers, socks, and boots. I now walk 15-30 minutes to grocery shop in the winter, and it's fine. Good luck with Michigan!

pusheen323 likes this.
  33. sploosh

sploosh

Nov 28, 2017
    Your presence on this forum has been immensely helpful to me, so first I want to say thank you for that!

Your concerns are good ones. I think you're right and that a "by school" document would be the most helpful.

I also wonder if we could capture our journeys in another way, instead of a statistical, mathematical spreadsheet kind of thing. I know that my undergrad GPA is below the average that most schools report, and that my current professional endeavors are absolutely not in research or communty health work, as I think is often the case - it would have been helpful at the start to see that there were others for whom that was the case, and that despite that I could get into schools.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:45 AM
  34. 123PHP123

123PHP123

Jul 21, 2017
    I just called Harvard's office of admissions and the woman said they'll be releasing decisions between today and mid-march

35. I just received a contradicting message from Columbia MPH coordinator. I am kind of confused.

Thank you for your message and your application to the Department of Health Policy and Management and Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. You should be hearing a decision from the School next Friday, the 16th?. We apologize for the delay.

36. Ebb55

Ebb55

Dec 27, 2017
    Mhm...I think this email was copied+ pasted from a response to another student a week ago.

37. Pudu2009

Pudu2009 Tiniest deer 2+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I don't know much about behavioral health unfortunately, so I can't help you there. Do you have a location preference? What would make the most financial sense?

38. guybrush

guybrush

Jan 30, 2018
    "Hi, yes, this is Harvard, heard of us? Please expect your decision between today and August 31. You'll have 24 hours to accept our offer upon receipt of e-mail. By the way, did I mention this is Harvard? Sincerely, Harvard"

39. SOL30

SOL30

Feb 7, 2018
    Does anyone know if there’s been another wave for Columbia acceptances this week? From reading this forum it seems like Friday people were accepted and this week people were rejected. I applied to the to environmental health science MPH and I have only heard people from that department getting in sometime in January. Other than that I’ve only received those random emails a while back reminding me to do a financial aid application etc.

40. SOL30

SOL30

Feb 7, 2018
    Also, I just called general information for Columbia’s MPH environmental health science is someone is also still waiting for that. No one answered but I left a voicemail and hopefully will hear back from them today.

41. nannams

nannams

Dec 18, 2017
    *frantically checks Harvard Key and email every 2 minutes even though it will be a rejection*

42. SOL30

SOL30

Feb 7, 2018
    I applied to CUNY Dec 26 and was accepted early January

x0n likes this.
  43. gobluegomaizey

gobluegomaizey

Jan 22, 2018
    Is anyone still waiting to hear from Michigan Epi?

hoosier1995 likes this.
  44. epi5452

epi5452

Feb 7, 2018
    Yes, I am! I got an email from them on January 8th that my application was complete. Been checking Wolverine Access about 20 times a day o_O

45. JDGBruin1317

JDGBruin1317

Apr 22, 2016
    Haha that's my birthday! :D Sorry for being random. lol

Lady MacBeth and guybrush like this.
  46. hm1742

hm1742

Jan 26, 2018
    I was accepted in December for community health and it’s one of my top programs too. Going up to visit in March to see if I like the city!

JDGBruin1317 and Teets4Tots like this.
  47. Lady MacBeth

Lady MacBeth

Jan 24, 2018
    I think it would be interesting to have both a statistical perspective and a more personal perspective — both quantitative and qualitative data, if you will. I agree that GPAs and test scores aren't a complete view, but I really would have loved to have that kind of data.

So what if we had a spreadsheet that had a basic statistical analysis of the test scores, GPAs, etc. And then had a section of people's stories. People could write a paragraph summarizing their experience, why they applied where they did, how they made their choices, and any relevant circumstances. We could probably get at least a handful of people to do it. I'm certainly willing to, if you guys are interested.

48. greenrain100

greenrain100 5+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Is anyone considering UC Berkeley for Health and Social Behavior? I am deciding between this program and University of Washington - Community Oriented Public Health Program....

49. leela_123

leela_123

Mar 18, 2017
    I'm willing to do this as well! It would be invaluable to have this data when applying!

50. gobluegomaizey

gobluegomaizey

Jan 22, 2018
    Me too and it's really stressing me out!

JDGBruin1317 and epi5452 like this.
  51. boisdejasmin

boisdejasmin

Sep 16, 2017
    Here I thought I could stop refreshing the mypath page finally, ugh.

JDGBruin1317 and sploosh like this.