MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can still accept another school's offer. If you are accepted to Columbia later on, you can accept Columbia's offer but then you will lose your deposit from your other school.

Thank you! Do MPH waitlist have decent turnover rates or are chances very nil? It's not a big deal because I got into Emory and BU already but knowing about Columbia would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! Do MPH waitlist have decent turnover rates or are chances very nil? It's not a big deal because I got into Emory and BU already but knowing about Columbia would be appreciated.

From what I read from previous years, this is variable but Columbia does take a while to get back to people though. If you are seriously considering it, I would say go for it. Emory and BU are great schools. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about tuition reclassification? I know it depends on the school and I know that the school I’m looking at gives an opportunity for it. The out of state tuition is essentially double the instate tuition so this would help a lot. I also know what the conditions are for reclassification and believe I could meet them by the second year. But does anyone have experience with this process or know how successful people are when applying for reclassification. Thanks for any help!

You can still accept another school's offer. If you are accepted to Columbia later on, you can accept Columbia's offer but then you will lose your deposit from your other school.
I thought that this was unethical and really frowned upon?

It's frowned upon, but that's why they make you pay a deposit to cover their expenses in prepping for you if something happens. However, if you're waiting to get off a waitlist, that's your only option

Reactions: 5 users

I don't see it as an unethical thing. Just looking out for yourself. If you decline your offer later on, a person on the waitlist still gets it either way.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted for MPH Hopkins. Finally! :)

Reactions: 7 users
It is in undergrad admissions, but it's a bit of a different story in graduate admissions. Most of the time, people are reserving spots at less competitive programs (which are unlikely to even have waitlists) in order to hear from their dream schools. Since schools have different notification and commitment deadlines, it's sometimes the most practical option.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! I've been checking OPUS everyday and still nothing. :dead: Did you also get an e-mail notifying you of your aid?
No, I just was doing my daily OPUS check and saw an update in the financial aid section. It's nice to finally hear something from one of the schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's frowned upon, but that's why they make you pay a deposit to cover their expenses in prepping for you if something happens. However, if you're waiting to get off a waitlist, that's your only option
I don't see it as an unethical thing. Just looking out for yourself. If you decline your offer later on, a person on the waitlist still gets it either way.

It is in undergrad admissions, but it's a bit of a different story in graduate admissions. Most of the time, people are reserving spots at less competitive programs (which are unlikely to even have waitlists) in order to hear from their dream schools. Since schools have different notification and commitment deadlines, it's sometimes the most practical option.
Thanks all for your input! I always wondered whether it was unethical or looked down upon. Now I know and this may actually come in handy for me :nod:

Reactions: 1 user
Heads up Hopkins MSc peeps: just got into MSc for epidemiology. No email yet but the portal is updated.

Does anyone know about Hopkin's specific strengths within epidemiology? For example I'm interested in clinical trials which I assume is strong given their exceptional medical school reputation, but I also am interested in genetic epidemiology and haven't heard much about that side of things.

Has anyone visited Vandy and would like to share their thoughts on the school?

Has anyone visited Vandy and would like to share their thoughts on the school?
I visited today and I'm planning to write a post about both this visit and my Hopkins visit last Friday tomorrow or Wednesday :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know anything about tuition reclassification? I know it depends on the school and I know that the school I’m looking at gives an opportunity for it. The out of state tuition is essentially double the instate tuition so this would help a lot. I also know what the conditions are for reclassification and believe I could meet them by the second year. But does anyone have experience with this process or know how successful people are when applying for reclassification. Thanks for any help!
Here is an answer I received to this question re: North Carolina residency. N.B. This will definitely vary by state.

"Yes, for those folks who do an excellent job getting their ducks in a row as soon as they move to NC and follow the residency application instructions very closely, most get residency. I’m not an expert on residency, but my impression is that folks who do not get it have errors in their applications or unconvincing evidence that they are committed to staying in NC."

Notified via email today that I was accepted to Yale for the Advanced Professional MPH in Health Policy and Administration! (MD/MPH)
I applied in January, around the deadline, and it had been radiosilence since then, so I just wanted to let the forum know that decisions are still coming out!
According to the email, they will notify about financial aid and scholarships by the end of this week and their visit dates are 3/26 and 4/9.

Reactions: 10 users
Here is an answer I received to this question re: North Carolina residency. N.B. This will definitely vary by state.

"Yes, for those folks who do an excellent job getting their ducks in a row as soon as they move to NC and follow the residency application instructions very closely, most get residency. I’m not an expert on residency, but my impression is that folks who do not get it have errors in their applications or unconvincing evidence that they are committed to staying in NC."
Thanks for the info! I plan on contacting the school to see what they say too and make sure that I have everything in order:)

For those that applied to Tulane, University of Minnesota, Ohio State, or University of South Florida, how long did it take to receive the decision?

For those that applied to Tulane, University of Minnesota, Ohio State, or University of South Florida, how long did it take to receive the decision?

I didn’t have to wait too long for Minnesota. I think it was only a couple weeks, but definitely less than a month. USF took longer, but I also applied to the Epi/Global Communicable Diseases dual program. I had to wait for acceptances from both departments. I didn’t apply to Tulane or Ohio State. Hope this helps!

I didn’t have to wait too long for Minnesota. I think it was only a couple weeks, but definitely less than a month. USF took longer, but I also applied to the Epi/Global Communicable Diseases dual program. I had to wait for acceptances from both departments. I didn’t apply to Tulane or Ohio State. Hope this helps!

Thankyou! Looks like I may have about 2 weeks left then! What program did you apply to at University of Minnesota? I applied to the Environmental Infectious Disease program! And for USF, I applied to the Global Communicable Diseases program!

Thankyou! Looks like I may have about 2 weeks left then! What program did you apply to at University of Minnesota? I applied to the Environmental Infectious Disease program! And for USF, I applied to the Global Communicable Diseases program!
I applied for the Epi program. Every program I applied for Epi except for USF. I dared to be different lol. I hope you get accepted. Good luck!

I haven't received a decision yet, but I also applied to both Tulane and University of MN (both epi, verified 2/27). Just for an idea of timing from someone who also applied late - University of MN sent me an email yesterday that my app was sent to the admissions committee and that I'd hear back in approximately 4 weeks. If they actually stick to that timeline then it would be about 6 weeks overall. I really hope it doesn't take that long though!

I received the pathways award from Emory which is only 5,000/year. :( still have not heard about REAL. Starting to re-consider if Emory is a good choice since I have many cheaper in-state options in CA...

Reactions: 3 users
I received the pathways award from Emory which is only 5,000/year. :( still have not heard about REAL. Starting to re-consider if Emory is a good choice since I have many cheaper in-state options in CA...

I got the same award, and my whole package is on OPUS including a REAL award. Honestly, Emory isn’t looking too good for me due to the cost.

I received a decision from Tulane exactly one week after my department received my application. I got an email on 2/27 saying it was being reviewed, and then one week later received the acceptance email. I know this is really fast and 2 weeks or more is totally reasonable.

Undergrad School: Oklahoma State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5/4.0
Major/Minor: Microbiology & Psychology
GRE (including date taken): 159V/160Q/4 (June 9th, 2017)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 2017 SWPA undergraduate poster competition
- Student Senate
- Student Council VP
- Freshman Student Council Coordinator
- Undergradaute TA for Intro Psych
- Greek Life
- Patient transport at a local hospital

Applied: Harvard, Yale, Oregon State, Cal-Berkeley (Epi/Biostat), Oregon Health & Sciences/Portland State, Brown, Colorado, Dartmouth, Boston, George Washington, UCLA, Penn, Columbia, and UW (2 programs)
Accepted: GW Health Policy (12/18), Penn Public Health (12/21), OHSU-PSU Epi (1/22), BU Schoolwide- undecided (1/22), Columbia Epi (1/22), UW- MPH Public Health Genetics (1/22), CO Health Systems, Management, & Policy (1/30), OSU Epi (2/2), Brown Public Health (2/2), UCLA Epi (2/2), & Yale Chronic Disease Epi (2/22)
Rejected: UW- MS Genetic Epi (1/23) & Harvard MS Epi (3/9) :(
Waitlisted: Dartmouth (1/31) (was sick on the day of my interview and chose not to reschedule)

I'm new here and have a few questions for anyone willing to answer:
1. Are most people waiting to hear back from Berkeley?
2. How do UW and Columbia compare?
3. For anyone who got into Harvard: how?
4. Cost of living: Seattle vs NYC?
5. Anyone else out there interested in neuro-psychiatric epidemiology?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm wondering if anyone else is working on total cost spreadsheets for the schools they're considering, and if so, how thorough you are being (beyond tuition/fees + rent). I don't buy the cost of living calculators because they assume a generic student who lives in a certain neighborhood, eats out a certain number of times per week, etc.

For example, if you're looking at schools in two different states, you'll need to factor in differences in car insurance rates, housing security deposits (1 month vs. 1.5 months vs. 2 months), health insurance premiums, and even your state tax withholding for part-time work.

I would love a template to play with :)

Reactions: 6 users
- Student Senate
- Student Council VP
- Greek Life

Applied: Harvard, Yale, Oregon State, Cal-Berkeley (Epi/Biostat), Oregon Health & Sciences/Portland State, Brown, Colorado, Dartmouth, Boston, George Washington, UCLA, Penn, Columbia, and UW (2 programs)
Accepted: GW Health Policy (12/18), Penn Public Health (12/21), OHSU-PSU Epi (1/22), BU Schoolwide- undecided (1/22), Columbia Epi (1/22), UW- MPH Public Health Genetics (1/22), CO Health Systems, Management, & Policy (1/30), OSU Epi (2/2), Brown Public Health (2/2), UCLA Epi (2/2), & Yale Chronic Disease Epi (2/22)
Waitlisted: Dartmouth (1/31) (was sick on the day of my interview and chose not to reschedule)

I was rejected from Berkeley HSB last week, but not sure how many people are still waiting. Best of luck to you!

I was able to talk to a student at the University of Pittsburgh about her experiences there and thought that she had some great insight. Obviously it's not as much as what a visit could have conferred, but people, if you can't make it, sometimes reaching out to the students can be really helpful! I found this one to be very candid and informative.

~~

Academics:

• Strong topic areas were neuroepidemiology for diseases like Alzheimers, HIV, Cardiovascular disease/risk factors, and opioid addiction.
  • Strong research emphasis, which is good for skill building but occasionally leads to an overemphasis on training for academic positions (continued education, research positions). Obviously you can still move into industry, but it's a bit harder, especially if you want to leave Pittsburgh post-graduation.
  • Professors seem to really enjoy teaching, as opposed to some other schools where professors' real passion is research.
Other:
  • The cost of living is relatively low compared to other schools, but Pittsburgh’s location can make it feel a bit isolated.
  • Nearly all students work part time.
  • It's pretty small as schools go (I don't have exact numbers) - the community is tight and the faculty-student relationships are very good, as well as the access to opportunity that that brings.

I haven't received a decision yet, but I also applied to both Tulane and University of MN (both epi, verified 2/27). Just for an idea of timing from someone who also applied late - University of MN sent me an email yesterday that my app was sent to the admissions committee and that I'd hear back in approximately 4 weeks. If they actually stick to that timeline then it would be about 6 weeks overall. I really hope it doesn't take that long though!

Both of mine were verified 2/27 as well, so we're looking at the same timeframe! What programs did you apply to at Minnesota and Tulane?

I received a decision from Tulane exactly one week after my department received my application. I got an email on 2/27 saying it was being reviewed, and then one week later received the acceptance email. I know this is really fast and 2 weeks or more is totally reasonable.

They received my app on 2/27 as well. So hopefully I hear something soon. What program did you apply to?

Any news on yale?
Called over 2 weeks ago they said notifications would be sent out in a week. Called them Friday and they said another 7-10 days. I’m getting tired of waiting.

Accepted to JHU MPH! This is my last school. I have to decide between JHU and Berkeley. Now I wonder why I was rejected by Michigan and Brown...I thought they were less competitive.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm wondering if anyone else is working on total cost spreadsheets for the schools they're considering, and if so, how thorough you are being (beyond tuition/fees + rent). I don't buy the cost of living calculators because they assume a generic student who lives in a certain neighborhood, eats out a certain number of times per week, etc.

For example, if you're looking at schools in two different states, you'll need to factor in differences in car insurance rates, housing security deposits (1 month vs. 1.5 months vs. 2 months), health insurance premiums, and even your state tax withholding for part-time work.

I would love a template to play with :)

This is the spreadsheet I have going! The rest of the schools I applied to are on there (not pictured). I was kind of general/not stringent about exact costs. Mostly tried to make this a more broad overview of each school. Would also love a itemized breakdown of costs though! I've made more specific ones for each curriculum and may just go ahead do ones for costs since these spreadsheets soothe me.......o_O I can make this a shareable link if you want the template

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    240.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
- Student Senate
- Student Council VP
- Greek Life

Have you reached out to Janene Martinez from Epi/biostats? I would recommend doing so expressing your interest in Berkeley's program.

This is the spreadsheet I have going! The rest of the schools I applied to are on there (not pictured). I was kind of general/not stringent about exact costs. Mostly tried to make this a more broad overview of each school. Would also love a itemized breakdown of costs though! I've made more specific ones for each curriculum and may just go ahead do ones for costs since these spreadsheets soothe me.......o_O I can make this a shareable link if you want the template
Nice spreadsheet! Thanks for sharing. Here is a sample of what I'm working with. It doesn't include rent, utilities, food, travel (car insurance and gas), and other living expenses yet. It also doesn't include related educational expenses (books, printing, paper, new laptop). If I end up putting together a template, I'll share it here.

Attachments

• funding.png
    funding.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: 4 users
Nice spreadsheet! Thanks for sharing. Here is a sample of what I'm working with. It doesn't include rent, utilities, food, travel (car insurance and gas), and other living expenses yet. It also doesn't include related educational expenses (books, printing, paper, new laptop). If I end up putting together a template, I'll share it here.
ugh, it's beautiful :bow:

A few thoughts: Michigan is one of the top public health schools in the nation. Schools care about "fit" not just stats. Not to mention, some of it is just arbitrary.
Can't agree more with @rosemary_. Michigan is a top school and even though Brown isn't ranked that high on US News (if this even matters at all), it's a smaller program and seems very selective with their admission process.

I recently served on a selection committee for a really prestigious award at my university (UW). Through the application process I learned that it really depends on who initially reads your application (this requires a little luck). If you have stellar stats, they're most likely going to forward you to the next step without a question. However, application reviewers have different perspectives that they bring to the table when reviewing candidates. One might prefer a candidate with SUPER high stats while the other might prefer a candidate with lower stats but very good personal statement that aligns with the prompt and mission of the school. Graduate admissions might have a different process but I assume it's somewhat similar to this.

Last edited:
Can't agree more with @rosemary_. Michigan is a top school and even though Brown isn't ranked that high on US News (if this even matters at all), it's a smaller program and seems very selective with their admission process.

I recently served on a selection committee for a really prestigious award at my university (UW). Through the application process I learned that it really depends on who initially reads your application (this requires a little luck). If you have stellar stats, they're most likely going to forward you to the next step without a question. However, application reviewers have different perspectives that they bring to the table when reviewing candidates. One might prefer a candidate with SUPER high stats while the other might prefer a candidate with lower stats but very good personal statement that aligns with the prompt and mission of the school. Graduate admissions might have a different process but I assume it's somewhat similar to this.

Which UW and Harvard programs did you apply to?

Any news on yale?
Called over 2 weeks ago they said notifications would be sent out in a week. Called them Friday and they said another 7-10 days. I’m getting tired of waiting.
I was accepted yesterday, and I believe someone else on the thread said the same. I think they're trying to get the bulk of the remaining responses, if not all of them, out this week! If it helps at all, I submitted my application on January 10th, and received the email indicating that my app was complete on February 3rd.